Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your Star Man of the Match ?

Luis Suarez
      66 (94.3%)
      Steven Gerrard
      0 (0%)
      Nuri Sahin
      2 (2.9%)
      Suso
      1 (1.4%)
      Raheem Sterling
      0 (0%)
      Someone else?
      1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Norwich 2:5 Liverpool - In game and post match "Bazinga!"

Read 41714 times
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Re: Norwich 2:5 Liverpool - In game and post match "Bazinga!"
      Reply #621: Sep 30, 2012 10:23:49 am
      Very happy with that,we deserved to smash someone sooner or later,well in lads .now let's climb that table .oh well in spuds.:-)
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #622: Sep 30, 2012 10:30:58 am
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2210735/Alex-Ferguson-hits-referee-Chris-Foy.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Whiskey nose not happy with the 4 minutes of injury time in there game with spurs.
      I wonder if he would have moaned if the final score was reversed.he'll probably have something to say about foy coming from st Helen's and being a stones throw from Liverpool ,a bit like the linesman who officiated there cup match against York when he gave a pen for York to make it 3-0 nil for them in the first leg ( united went out 4-3) and by all accounts ferguson was heard shouting at the linesman 'are you from Liverpool'.after the game the linesman received a letter from the FA and he never officiated another match ever.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #623: Sep 30, 2012 10:31:39 am
      Just made up with our first win and three points. Been said, "well it was only Norwich !"   So were we really that good or are Norwich just crap. Well the thing is, we gave Citeh and Utd the same treatment, and but for a bit of poor finishing and some diabolical refereeing, they would both have been on the end of the same sort of beasting. Yes, we are on the up and i wasnt too disapointed with the utd defeat because we really did hammer them. This result just comfirms that it wasn't a one off. My hat off to Brendan for having the confidence and belief in the youngsters, and for getting our more senior players to believe they can keep the ball and play fast flowing football. I think it all comes down to trusting the system and apart from the Arse game it has worked well. Always going to be a poor performance while learning a new system and we are over that now. Norwich v Liverpool 2012 will be etched in my memory as the day we turned the corner to recovery. I agree we might have to give the back 4 a bit more protection at times, but we still have Lucas to come back in, and Coate will keep the centre backs on their toes as he will be ready to step in. Its looking good and with hindsight, i'm not sure Dempsey would have fitted in with this style of play, so onwards and upwards. Can't wait for the next match now.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #624: Sep 30, 2012 10:32:27 am
      One of the most pleasing aspects for me over the past two games has been that the young lads have really pulled their weight - not just in terms of ability - but the ethos of the way the team are aiming to play.

The vast majority of us (I think) believe behind the scenes we made a real mess this summer - allowing too many players to leave (especially forwards).  And now we have an injury crisis - it is good to see the likes of Suso and Wisdom, the Shelveys and the Sterlings all stepping up to the plate.

I hope we can get through to January in not too bad a shape - and hopefully pick up a couple of signings.  We really need a little luck now on the injury front.  Well played yesterday -  let's hope we haven't scored all our goals in one game.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #625: Sep 30, 2012 10:34:24 am

Suarez has worst diving record in Premier League... and it could be costing Liverpool penalties

But how many of those yellows were actually given correctly?  That should be the meat & potato of the argument, but it isn't. I wonder why the journalist didn't touch on it? I lost track last season of how many decisions, incorrectly, went against Suarez.  Not long into this season and it's the same old story.  I'm not saying he doesn't go down easily at times, but for the vast majority of the time, he has been fouled.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #626: Sep 30, 2012 10:41:11 am
      But how many of those yellows were actually given correctly?  That should be the meat & potato of the argument, but it isn't. I wonder why the journalist didn't touch on it? I lost track last season of how many decisions, incorrectly, went against Suarez.  Not long into this season and it's the same old story.  I'm not saying he doesn't go down easily at times, but for the vast majority of the time, he has been fouled.
      Bang on.
      There going with his 'so called reputation'and not following the rules of the game.
      Totally unfair.what annoyed me yesterday  regarding the stone wall pen was Barnett who committed the foul had the f***in cheek to run up to the ref asking for Suarez to get booked for diving ...what a cheeky tw*t
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #627: Sep 30, 2012 11:22:14 am
      Great win, loved the way we passed it with so much purpose in the final third. Sahin looks like he's now settling after another very good performance yesterday. Just need to cut out these mistakes at the back and we'll have a very decent season.

Once again great support from the travelling Kop.

Onwards and upwards Redmen!
      solodee

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #628: Sep 30, 2012 11:34:03 am
      No mention of Utds comical diving and actually winning penalty's from it? As you were then.  :roll:

My thoughts exactly! Danny Welbeck is getting better at diving with every game; Ashley Young moved to OT and learnt to be a good diver. Need I mention Nani and Rooney too?

I guess man u players were excluded from the list because they always get awarded penalties for diving. Suarez got booked for diving when, in actual fact, they were valid infringements that required penalties.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #629: Sep 30, 2012 11:49:14 am
      This is what I have been seeing all season, I am not being funny but with a tad bit of more luck instead of the other, we would have done the same to city and united....that would have been 5 more points this season

also, I may get stick but we need a new keeper next season, reina has just lost it
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #630: Sep 30, 2012 12:02:39 pm
      That's the bit that pisses me off when the piss head had Ronaldo and Nani diving all over the place for years.

Sure both of them have an olympic medal somewhere.

Not forgeting Young. 

Of course the reason everyone thinks Luis is a diver is because the old soak said it.  Same as the scum getting more than necessary added time next game.

He is a very good manipulator of words and knows how to get into the psyche of his players, the officials, the media and other Clubs fans.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #631: Sep 30, 2012 01:59:20 pm
      Fantastic to score 5 goals, great hat trick from Suarez and think all 3 of his goals were from just outside the box!

However, to concede 2 goals against Norwich and in the manner we did was far from good enough and was again down to individual errors again by Skrtel and Pepe who have been costing us quite a few goals this season! Them 2 players need to get there act together and start concentrating more!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #632: Sep 30, 2012 02:05:04 pm
      This wont make you feel any better - its this sort of sh*te that just ensure it continues.

Suarez has worst diving record in Premier League... and it could be costing Liverpool penalties

By Joe Bernstein

PUBLISHED: 22:30, 29 September 2012 | UPDATED: 22:30, 29 September 2012

Liverpool have the worst record for diving in the Premier League - and it might be costing them legitimate penalties.

This week manager Brendan Rodgers claimed his players might have to go down more often to win kicks - but it may not do them much good.

Luis Suarez (already booked for diving once this season) was denied a clear penalty on Saturday when he was hauled down in the area and should also have had one against Manchester United after a Jonny Evans tackle.

Rodgers said: 'Of course it was a penalty. If Antonio Valencia's was a penalty last week, of course that was, but he doesn't always get given the decisions he deserves.'

There's a reason for that. Opta stats show Liverpool players have received six yellow cards for simulation since the start of last season - more than any other club and more than 25 per cent of the overall total shown.

Suarez - described by Sir Alex Ferguson last season as diving 'all over the place' - is the chief culprit, with three cautions, more than any other player.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2210566/Liverpools-diving-record-costing-decisions.html#ixzz27wTzk7Ei
      Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The mail has had it in for Suarez for a while now and treat him as an almost pantomime villain in their articles. The "league" of divers shown is players who have been booked for diving. Luis has been booked three times. That's correct but what they're purposefully misleading their readership with is that replays on two of those three occasions showed clearly that contact was made on him and he was wrongfully booked. It also makes no mention of players diving and not being booked, or Fergie telling Young and Wellbeck to stop diving (the latter comically diving for England the other week).
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #633: Sep 30, 2012 02:15:42 pm
      The only thing that surprises me about Fergie (and The Mail) and his moaning is, he hasn't had a go at Reina for diving yet.  ;)
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #634: Sep 30, 2012 02:36:55 pm
      My thoughts exactly! Danny Welbeck is getting better at diving with every game; Ashley Young moved to OT and learnt to be a good diver. Need I mention Nani and Rooney too?

I guess man u players were excluded from the list because they always get awarded penalties for diving. Suarez got booked for diving when, in actual fact, they were valid infringements that required penalties.

Young has always been a diver. The man is the definition of soft.
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #635: Sep 30, 2012 02:42:37 pm
      Watching the game again, going forward we look the best we have for a long time, with Raheem, Luis and Sahin. But when we concede the ball deep we look far too strung out and the midfield isn't getting back quick enough, which is why we look vulnerable. Lucas is of course the answer here, but against teams better than Norwich we need to get back quicker....Oh and the fact that Luis didn't get a penalty for the rugby tackle defies belief, it looks worse every time I look at it. When you look at Mark Halsey giving Valencia and then Riise penaltys the whole think is a joke.
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 286 posts | 28 
      Reply #636: Sep 30, 2012 03:30:28 pm
      I haven't seen the match.  But huge thanks to everyone - starters, subs, manager and other staff - for making us happy yesterday.  When do we start keeping clean sheets???
      Don77

• 6,327 posts | 1036 
      Reply #637: Sep 30, 2012 04:48:44 pm
      Excellent performance yesterday and great to get our first 3 points in the bag.

Just 6 games into the league season and we can already see the massive strides we are making under Brendan.

Ball retention is improving as is player movement. The speed of our passing is a joy to watch. Its incisive and confident and most of our players look so comfortable on the ball at the moment. Without the ball our work ethic and closing down high up the pitch is excellent to see.

The players really seem to be enjoying being allowed to go out and express themselves and apart from Kenny's tenure its been best part of 20 years since a Liverpool side was encouraged to go out and play this way.

The younger players are stepping up to the mark and showing real quality as well as endevour. The 'older' players in the squad will have to up their game if they want to be part of the new Liverpool. Although our squad isn't the biggest I feel the ratio of quality players to those who are not goode enough is the lowest it has been in so many years. Most players seem capable of putting a shift in and adapting to the style Brendan wants to implement.

Although not a regular starter, Jordon Henderson seems a different player to me this season. He is alot more confident in what he is doing and seems to actually be more settled and understanding of his role when he is on the field.

Great to see Luis bagging 3 yeaterday. Thats 5 PL goals now this season and if he gets to 20 then I feel he will have had a great season goalscoring wise. Luis will always create, but his job is to score goals and he is doing it more regularly now. Its upto the others to help him out and its great to see Nuri Sahin and Steven Gerrard weighing in with goals yesterday. I feel that Shelvey will get goals this season and hopefully Sterling, Suso, Borini and assaidi will also provide their share.

Defensively I still worry. The return of Lucas will help to protect the back 4 but we are making too many basic errors. Pepe goes from one calamity to another with no end in sight. Skrtel has made 2 bad errors this season that have cost us.

Once we start defending better and keeping clean sheets we will rocket up the league because no team is playing better football going forward than us this season.

Looking forward to thursday now!
      fhands123
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 350 posts | 11 
      Reply #638: Sep 30, 2012 04:58:20 pm
      Other than the three points, what i liked about this match is not that we played well, we've been doing that for the last few weeks,

It's the fact that several of the goals involved a fair amount of luck on our part. Whether it was a deflection or sloppy Norwich defending.

Who can remember the last time we good the rub of the green on the pitch! Did anyone even hit the post?   :)

(refereeing not included of course).
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #639: Sep 30, 2012 05:02:06 pm
      Lucas returning or even replacing Reina won't stop our defensive problems. I'm going to go against the grain here and say that in my opinion Skirtel is over-rated. He's fine if he's facing the play but he cannot handle pace or guile and more often than not will either give the ball away or end up conceding a free kick in dangerous areas. For me, he's the weak link in our defence and is no where near as composed and all-round a defender that Agger is or is able to retain his concentration levels for 90 minutes. I'd be inclined to drop Skirtel for Coates who looks much more composed in those situations. So far this season our problems have been at the back, not up front and he's cost us more goals than most Defenders do in an entire season.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,235 posts | 752 
      Reply #640: Sep 30, 2012 05:11:14 pm
      It seems to be a case of scoring more goals than we concede at the moment, until the defence is sorted out. Still it makes for entertaining football, with two five goal hauls, this season already after beating Young Boys 5 - 3 in the  Europa league.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #641: Sep 30, 2012 05:46:54 pm
      Just finished watching the match a second time.  I really hope that the "we were great last season just unlucky" brigade takes another look at the Norwich match.  Last season we were awful, just dreadful, we had a couple of decent games but all in all we were so poor.  No tactics, playing pointless crosses, or giving it to Suarez and hoping he would do something magical.  Yesterday we were brilliant.  Absolutely brilliant.  That is how football is played.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #642: Sep 30, 2012 05:51:40 pm
      Lucas returning or even replacing Reina won't stop our defensive problems. I'm going to go against the grain here and say that in my opinion Skirtel is over-rated. He's fine if he's facing the play but he cannot handle pace or guile and more often than not will either give the ball away or end up conceding a free kick in dangerous areas. For me, he's the weak link in our defence and is no where near as composed and all-round a defender that Agger is or is able to retain his concentration levels for 90 minutes. I'd be inclined to drop Skirtel for Coates who looks much more composed in those situations. So far this season our problems have been at the back, not up front and he's cost us more goals than most Defenders do in an entire season.

He'll be fine once he gets his head around how he's expected to play.
      Look at how far apart and wide our CB's have been all season, more or less taking up a position between FB and CB.
      Once Lucas is back to help fill the hole in front of the 2 CB's we'll become more solid, and even the best defenders in the world don't adapt to a completely different system overnight.

You may think he's over rated, and that's fine. My own opinion is that he wasn't player of the season for no reason, and that given a bit of time he'll adapt.
      You've also got to take into account that this system of BR's is a high risk system, and will not be familiar to any of the players as yet. As they get more used to it, the mistakes will become much less frequent.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #643: Sep 30, 2012 05:54:51 pm
      Just finished watching the match a second time.  I really hope that the "we were great last season just unlucky" brigade takes another look at the Norwich match.  Last season we were awful, just dreadful, we had a couple of decent games but all in all we were so poor.  No tactics, playing pointless crosses, or giving it to Suarez and hoping he would do something magical.  Yesterday we were brilliant.  Absolutely brilliant.  That is how football is played.

Whilst I think that we DID have pretty rotten luck at times last season, I also think it has been exaggerated possibly because people didn't want to criticise KK.

yesterday showed the difference, as you say, and we played some really, really good football.

Quick Reply