Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Llorente unhappy at Athletic Bilbao, hmmm...

Read 4608 times
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Llorente unhappy at Athletic Bilbao, hmmm...
      Oct 02, 2012 05:53:19 pm
      Dare we dream about a move to Anfield in January or June?  ;)

Llorente walks out of training
      The relationship between Fernando Llorente and Marcelo Bielsa at Athletic Bilbao deteriorated further on Monday morning after a row which saw the out of favour centre-forward leave training early.

Llorente, who was a late substitute as Los Leones fell to a disappointing 2-0 defeat at Basque rivals Real Sociedad on Saturday, was training with the reserves and youths Monday morning at Bilbao’s Lezama facility.

In an incident filmed by Basque TV station EITB, Bielsa halted a practice game to criticise what he had seen. After an exchange of views, Llorente walked off the pitch alone, and the session finished without him. The Spanish international later left the training ground without speaking to reporters.

Llorente, who has less than a year remaining on his current contract, was linked last summer with a move to Juventus but the Serie A champions did not match his €36 million release clause. Although the player said last month he was looking forward to playing for Athletic this season, he pointedly refused to commit his longer term future to the club.

Amid this unsettling situation Bielsa has used the powerful centre-forward sparingly so far this campaign, with six substitute appearances across La Liga and the Europa League bringing one goal.

Athletic have started poorly and currently sit 17th in the Primera Division table, with just one victory from their first six games.
      http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1176799/fernando-llorente-walks-out-of-training-after-bielsa-row?cc=5901
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: Llorente unhappy at Athletic Bilbao, hmmm...
      Reply #1: Oct 02, 2012 06:10:43 pm
      Dare we dream about a move to Anfield in January or June?

Sure, dream and then watch him go somewhere else. It's what we do  :f_tongueincheek:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2: Oct 02, 2012 08:21:16 pm
      Cant see our owners letting this deal happen even if BR wants it too to be honest!
      LFCexiled
      Reply #3: Oct 02, 2012 08:39:26 pm
      Dare we dream about a move to Anfield in January or June?  ;)

Llorente walks out of training
      Llorente, who has less than a year remaining on his current contract, was linked last summer with a move to Juventus but the Serie A champions did not match his €36 million release clause.

Nope. ;D

I gratefully stand to be corrected.
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #4: Oct 02, 2012 11:13:46 pm
      With less than a season left on his contract we wouldn't have to mach that though would we?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #5: Oct 02, 2012 11:37:47 pm
      Is Llorente not just an older (possibly better) version of Carroll, someone who isn't really suited to Rodgers style?
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #6: Oct 02, 2012 11:40:46 pm
      Is Llorente not just an older (possibly better) version of Carroll, someone who isn't really suited to Rodgers style?

TBH mate I've always imagined Athletic to being a passing team. I haven't watched them all that many times, only a handful really so I could be corrected on this. I remember last year they battered United home and away, dominated the possession and created chances. They are a (Basque only) Spanish team too and the majority of the generation of Spanish players these days are very technically gifted.

There's only way to find out, buy him!!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #7: Oct 02, 2012 11:42:37 pm

Actually Bilbao play in a similar sort of style, like to keep the ball and he fits in just fine there. What was it, 30 odd goals he got last season?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8: Oct 02, 2012 11:49:35 pm
      Fair enough, I can't really argue as I have seen very little of him. I was going more off his size than anything.
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #9: Oct 03, 2012 07:27:43 am
      Actually Bilbao play in a similar sort of style, like to keep the ball and he fits in just fine there. What was it, 30 odd goals he got last season?

From what I have heard, part of what he doesn't like is their style of play. He can play in that system and I think Carroll could as well however other players could be better suited.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #10: Oct 03, 2012 08:35:14 am
      There is a good possibility of signing him. He's getting various death threats from bilbao fans, not playing, not interested on staying. That sure will make his price drop.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #11: Oct 03, 2012 03:25:17 pm

"Possibly" better?  :lmao: You serious mate? jk

Yes he's better than Carroll. Smarter, more technical, harder worker, obviously more clinical, has better anticipation, etc. Basically, he's everything Andy Carroll should be and then some.

As for the reality of the move, I'd say 50/50. Going to depend on if Bilbao let him leave for free in June or severely lower their asking price in January. Also need to be wary of CL clubs swooping in.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #12: Oct 03, 2012 03:29:17 pm

Yes he's better than Carroll. Smarter, more technical, harder worker, obviously more clinical, has better anticipation, etc. Basically, he's everything Andy Carroll should be and then some.

As for the reality of the move, I'd say 50/50. Going to depend on if Bilbao let him leave for free in June or severely lower their asking price in January. Also need to be wary of CL clubs swooping in.

14 Million. Take it or leave it.
      Well if we were willing to spend it on Sturridge...
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,293 posts | 177 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #13: Oct 03, 2012 09:24:29 pm
      We have no spanish Armada to attract him now though :(
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #14: Oct 03, 2012 09:26:18 pm

We've got a great Latin Quarter though.
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #15: Oct 03, 2012 09:37:15 pm

We still have Reina, Suso, Enrique all from Spain. Suarez, Coates from Spanish speaking countries as well.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #16: Oct 04, 2012 12:01:17 am

As I said I have seen little of him, but he is 27 while Carroll is only 23. In Llorente's first 3 seasons at Bilbao he scored only 7 goals in 60 league games.... Carroll scored 6 goals in 44 league games for Liverpool. Then of course there is the Morientes factor, great headers in Spain may be not so great in the prem.

In truth my preference would be for a v.fast clinical striker like Torres who can link up play, play on the shoulder of the last defender and can create goals out of nothing rather than a big bustling striker like Andy or Llorente. 
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #17: Oct 04, 2012 07:51:30 am
      As I said I have seen little of him, but he is 27 while Carroll is only 23. In Llorente's first 3 seasons at Bilbao he scored only 7 goals in 60 league games.... Carroll scored 6 goals in 44 league games for Liverpool. Then of course there is the Morientes factor, great headers in Spain may be not so great in the prem.

In truth my preference would be for a v.fast clinical striker like Torres who can link up play, play on the shoulder of the last defender and can create goals out of nothing rather than a big bustling striker like Andy or Llorente. 

Falcao.
      No way in hell we could get him though.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #18: Oct 04, 2012 03:07:44 pm

Much Much better player than Carroll mate, he uses his size and build to hold the ball up and knit together to the play, is a menace in the box as he challenges and contests absolutely every thing, has a much better touch, much better football brain, his movement and positioning is far better, all in all he's just a superior player to Carroll.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #19: Oct 04, 2012 03:12:40 pm
      Much Much better player than Carroll mate, he uses his size and build to hold the ball up and knit together to the play, is a menace in the box as he challenges and contests absolutely every thing, has a much better touch, much better football brain, his movement and positioning is far better, all in all he's just a superior player to Carroll.

Good answer
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #20: Oct 04, 2012 03:18:11 pm

He reminds me a bit of Ibrahimovich in that he's a big guy, but has a good football brain and a bit of finesse about him.

Quick Reply