Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Raheem Sterling
      36 (33.6%)
      Glen Johnson
      51 (47.7%)
      Brad Jones
      5 (4.7%)
      Luis Suarez
      9 (8.4%)
      Nuri Sahin
      1 (0.9%)
      Joe Allen
      3 (2.8%)
      Someone else
      2 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Voting closed: Oct 23, 2012 07:03:33 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Reading: In game and Post Match Debate

Read 28811 times
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Reading: In game and Post Match Debate
      Reply #368: Oct 20, 2012 06:55:09 pm
      It's a lot more than that

It's getting the right players for the money spent

For the prices we have coughed out over the last 24 months we could have bought players like Falcao, Carzola, Podolski , Reus , Kagawa - all players transferred in the last 24 months for fees less or the same as what we have paid out for players like Carroll, Henderson,Downing and Adam.

That's not down to the lack of funds that's spending your money better. When you don't have unlimited funds you need to spend what you have better

We couldnt mate as the wages they wanted, or FSG determination to drive down the wage bill. Paul Dalglish talked about this recently saying it was a major factor when trying to recruit players.

One that does irk me is Juan Mata, supposedly he was very interested in coming but we decided to go with Downing source Jen Chang before he joined the club
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #369: Oct 20, 2012 06:55:17 pm
      Two pluses for me, Sterling's goal, and a clean sheet. Do not know if anyone else has pointed this out, as I have only just logged on after the result.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #370: Oct 20, 2012 07:08:18 pm
      Haven't seen the game so can't really comment on performances and tactics just yet but we've got a win at home and a clean sheet so lets hope we can kick on now.

HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Re: Liverpool 1:0 Reading. In game & post match discussion.
      Reply #371: Oct 20, 2012 07:17:36 pm
      Suarez must have been jet-lagged. Still a phenomenon.

He worked his socks off today.  :gt-happyup:

Not bad for someone who has just returned from two games in South America, one of which was at high altitude.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #372: Oct 20, 2012 07:21:07 pm
      He worked his socks off today.  :gt-happyup:

Not bad for someone who has just returned from two games in South America, one of which was at high altitude.

Not bad at all, just maybe left his shooting boots on the plane!  Apart from his failure to still the ball in the net today, I thought he was excellent.  So busy and so creative.  Just lacking the end product.

I also thought Glen was excellent today and have gone for him as my MOTM.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #373: Oct 20, 2012 07:39:07 pm
      We couldnt mate as the wages they wanted, or FSG determination to drive down the wage bill. Paul Dalglish talked about this recently saying it was a major factor when trying to recruit players.

One that does irk me is Juan Mata, supposedly he was very interested in coming but we decided to go with Downing source Jen Chang before he joined the club

The players we bought weren't exactly on small wages.

I actually agree that we shouldn't be giving players massive wages ! It's unsustainable and we shouldn't spend above our means.

From what I understand is Mata would have joined if we had got into CL
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #374: Oct 20, 2012 07:45:13 pm
      According to Jen Chang he was open to a move to us anyway.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #375: Oct 20, 2012 08:05:10 pm
      I'm not exactly sure I would take his word as gospel especially something over 12 months ago.

We have wasted a lot if money on players not good enough

With better spending our squad would be a lot better currently
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #376: Oct 20, 2012 08:22:10 pm
      An aside from the post match debate which is as intriguing as ever....

Barry Horne ia one prize wan*er
      solodee

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #377: Oct 20, 2012 08:24:11 pm
      The goal scorer gets the vote
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #378: Oct 20, 2012 08:24:31 pm
      Gave mom to Luis some effort after playing at altitude and flying 14000 miles.

Johnson was top notch today tho
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #379: Oct 20, 2012 08:24:40 pm
      We scored a goal, dominated, should have scored more and on another day might have scored six or seven. The three points were never a threat since the moment we scored.

Happy times.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #380: Oct 20, 2012 08:25:06 pm
      An aside from the post match debate which is as intriguing as ever....

Barry Horne ia one prize wan*er

Agree Brian actually put on the Asian commentator who i couldnt understand because I couldnt handle Barry Horne any more

I'm not exactly sure I would take his word as gospel especially something over 12 months ago.

We have wasted a lot if money on players not good enough

With better spending our squad would be a lot better currently
      Agree George

Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #381: Oct 20, 2012 09:00:37 pm
      Have yet to watch the game and can only really comment on the performance too much. However, I have watched the clip on ESPNgoals app and one thing that is obvious is the emphasis on closing down and putting the player under pressure. Some may tire of talking about it but for me, it is great to see.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #382: Oct 20, 2012 10:16:34 pm
      Result finally follows performance in Reading win
      Posted by Kristian Walsh

After a familiar narrative came an unfamiliar conclusion. Liverpool played well, created a number of chances and subsequently missed them - but this time, they left Anfield with three points; the first time they have done that this season, and only the third time this year.

Brendan Rodgers' side have not done things easily for the majority of the season, and so it proved again against Reading. Raheem Sterling's 29th minute strike was just reward for an impressive opening half hour, the goal a perfect summary of Liverpool's dominance in the first half. That should have proved the catalyst for a controlling performance from the Reds, something the Anfield crowd have longed to witness this season. Instead, it was ultimately the slender difference between the two sides. Liverpool were never quite on the ropes, but Reading did prompt a few worried glances of the scorecard.

- Sterling work sees Reds past Royals
      - Blog: Effort alone not enough at Anfield
      - Sterling making giant strides

Liverpool still await a home performance they can enjoy throughout; a showing where every intercepted pass isn't followed by a biting intake of worried breath; 90 minutes when every opposition attack isn't viewed amidst trembling fingers. Liverpool are yet to enjoy a two-goal lead at Anfield this season, their profligacy in front of goal refusing to dissipate.

It's not just the mental well-being of the supporters that healthy leads protect, but those of the playing staff, too. It's harder to swagger looking backwards. Less energy is expended when running on multi-goal cushions as well. Rodgers is a firm proponent of letting the ball do the work; it becomes easier to keep it in cruise control.

But enough. Liverpool did enough. Enough is good enough when trying to build momentum ahead of three difficult league games, including trips to local rivals Everton and leaders Chelsea. Enough is more than enough with no victories at home this season. It's a result both supporters and players will have enjoyed once the full-time whistle went, with hindsight their aide. Football is dictated on fine margins. After no victories in their first five league games, Liverpool are now unbeaten in three and have kept clean sheets in their past two home outings.

Rodgers will have also enjoyed the result. He may have even enjoyed the game. Some of the finer aspects were lacking: the midfield three lacked cohesion, all looking tired and lethargic at times. The perils of international football show once more - Gerrard, Sahin and Allen spent midweek in Poland, Hungary and Croatia respectively. The introduction of Shelvey, unsurprisingly, gave a bit of acerbity to the midfield.

But Rodgers won't be too worried about the sub-par midfield performances. He has options there, with Shelvey and Henderson easily utilised if it needs freshening up. It is the defence and attack that has given him food for thought, and often left him ravenous. Saturday provided a bellyful. In defence, Skrtel and Agger looked to edge nearer to the standard expected of them; Wisdom continues to grow at right back and Glen Johnson continues to be the most underrated defender in English football, at left back no less.

It was an afternoon the attack clicked into place too. Though Suarez was culpable for missed chances once more, his link-up with Sterling was sumptuous and surreptitious; Reading's gaze had barely readjusted when the ball found Suarez's feet, and Sterling was already free with the ball in his path. It was the bamboozling duo that gave Liverpool their goal. Suarez's deftness of touch was matched by Sterling's fortitude in front of goal. Perhaps the chances are falling to the wrong forward.

Liverpool needed a result over a performance. That's what they received, with a good performance thrown in for good measure. Rodgers will know it wasn't perfect, but no one expected it to be eight league games into his tenure; that level of perfection - or control, as Rodgers would see it - may only come when his side have the benefit of time. Time and a two, three, four-goal cushion.

Until then, he'll build momentum any way possible - and he won't be complaining if the next three league games end in narrow Liverpool victories. Nor will the supporters, especially with Everton at Goodison Park next up.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/liverpool/id/216?cc=5739

Good blog and well worth reading. Kristian Walsh is an excellent writer.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #383: Oct 20, 2012 10:18:49 pm
      Dunno whether BR wants the players to walk the ball into the net, but he deffo has no plan B.
      All the opposition has to do is crowd their box, and trust to luck that they might get a break.
      I'm only grateful that they where as inafective in front of goal as us, everyone (Sterling, Suarez and Johnson), passed when they should've shot and shot when they should've passed.
      Everyone works hard to get the ball back, and we look good when we move the ball around , but you win games by scoring more than the opposition and we're not even close to that. BR, imo, needs to look at what it takes to win a game, rather than being a tactual genius.
      Unless he accepts that he has to have another option rather than tikka takka, then we ,as LFC fans,  are looking at mid table for years to come.
      Hopfully BR will see that something needs to change, but we are now going into the most important part of our season.
       Being there today (for the first time this season) , just showed me that most people are resigned to this, which really shocked me.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #384: Oct 20, 2012 10:38:54 pm
      Back from the game, which was a massive one in terms of winning this.

I know it was only a one goal win, but it's still 3 precious points on the board.

As one fella said after the game, if we win all our games 1-0 we'll win the league, it wasn't the greatest game today, but we worked hard for that win and we deserved it, we could have actually won by 3 or 4 goals but we'll have to settle for just the one and Suarez was instrumental in Sterling's first Premiership League home goal which was a peach  ;D

There was always that element that one goal wouldnt be enough, that they would get the equaliser but thankfully we ended up with the win.

We must start winning games earlier, getting goals early on in the game so the pressure is off as the second half gets underway, we played ok today but we really should be finishing better and killing off teams like Reading with ease.

Hopefully this win will be the stepping stone we need and go on to take the bitters apart next Sunday after, of course we battered Anzhi into oblivion on Thursday  ;)

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #385: Oct 20, 2012 10:41:07 pm
       I watched the match it was a delayed coverage and at last we got 3 points but it should of been a comfortable win.I thought Glen Johnson had an excellent match and for me he was man of the match.Young Suso showed what a good footballing brain he has got and did very well,also Sterling took his goal well after good work by Luis Suarez.Now if only we can start putting that ball in the net on a regular basis it would be good.Oh and well done Brad Jones on keeping a clean sheet.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #386: Oct 20, 2012 10:42:42 pm
      Dunno whether BR wants the players to walk the ball into the net, but he deffo has no plan B.
      All the opposition has to do is crowd their box, and trust to luck that they might get a break.
      I'm only grateful that they where as inafective in front of goal as us, everyone (Sterling, Suarez and Johnson), passed when they should've shot and shot when they should've passed.
      Everyone works hard to get the ball back, and we look good when we move the ball around , but you win games by scoring more than the opposition and we're not even close to that. BR, imo, needs to look at what it takes to win a game, rather than being a tactual genius.
      Unless he accepts that he has to have another option rather than tikka takka, then we ,as LFC fans,  are looking at mid table for years to come.
      Hopfully BR will see that something needs to change, but we are now going into the most important part of our season.
       Being there today (for the first time this season) , just showed me that most people are resigned to this, which really shocked me.
      Oh quit with the drama queen theatrics.

We need a striker and we'll be fine. I know it, you know it, the gaffer knows it.

There's your plan B
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #387: Oct 21, 2012 12:46:50 am

You say that but we're not creating chances but we are. Our problem isn't a lack of plan B, it's incorrect players suitable for plan A. We just need a natural finisher, someone who'll knock in 20+ league goals a season and we'll be fine.
      sabbath
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #388: Oct 21, 2012 12:57:23 am
      Rodgers is on record stating he sees Suarez as a central striker tho.  Made a point about him not having a lot of pace and how tricky he is, it's better that he's closer to goal when he beats a man. 

Makes me wonder, if he's looking for the CF most of us want, or not.  The targets in the summer too.  Dempsey and Sturridge.  Neither what you would call a centre forward, although both can play there.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #389: Oct 21, 2012 02:13:23 am
      Rodgers is on record stating he sees Suarez as a central striker tho.  Made a point about him not having a lot of pace and how tricky he is, it's better that he's closer to goal when he beats a man. 

Makes me wonder, if he's looking for the CF most of us want, or not.  The targets in the summer too.  Dempsey and Sturridge.  Neither what you would call a centre forward, although both can play there.

Central Striker because of the alternatives - Borini who has yet to get used to the EPL or kids. Let's remember that Suarez was bought to partner, supply and compliment Torres, not replace him as our main striker. He seems more the guy that sets up the goals for someone else to finish and chips in with half a dozen goals a season of his own, rather than being the pinnacle of a strike force. The problem isn't Suarez though but rather one of in BR's preferred formation, where does Suarez fit if we buy a natural finisher?
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 188 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #390: Oct 21, 2012 09:15:57 am
      Made hard work of the game yesterday,it looked in the first half we were gonna cruise on past Reading but the second half was a diferent matter we just seemed to fizzle away sit back and waste chances that we had,some good indervidual perfomances I thought specialy Johnson he won almost every ball he challenged for and his movement up and down the picth was tireless,overall I think many people at the game would say well it's 3 points but we have to be more deadly infront of goal if we are to progress up the table.

Quick Reply