Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Raheem Sterling
      36 (33.6%)
      Glen Johnson
      51 (47.7%)
      Brad Jones
      5 (4.7%)
      Luis Suarez
      9 (8.4%)
      Nuri Sahin
      1 (0.9%)
      Joe Allen
      3 (2.8%)
      Someone else
      2 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Voting closed: Oct 23, 2012 07:03:33 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Reading: In game and Post Match Debate

Read 29035 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,970 posts | 3054 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Reading: In game and Post Match Debate
      Reply #391: Oct 21, 2012 09:56:41 am
      Watched game on a stream which is never the best - thought passing was mostly sharp in first half with exception of final ball which tended to fall just behind target or get intercepted. I'm hoping that getting the 3 points at Anfield is the start of a corner turning. Have to say agree with el batez above - to sustain any improvement we need to be more deadly. Unfortunately (not withstanding optimism regarding potential of youngsters) we've been seeing the same thing for such a long time I'm not finding it as easy to convince myself we're suddenly going to find the "golden ticket" and start scoring freely.

But it was 3 points and our greatest sides had to grind it out too.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #392: Oct 21, 2012 10:42:32 am
      After the first 45 minutes, I thought we'd go on and pile on a few in the second half, but it wasn't to be. 

Jones played within his capabilities, not as comfortable on the ball as Pepe, so he did launch it more often, though this was far more apparent in the second half. Brad did command his area well though and was very vocal with his back line.  Reading offered so little going forward in the first half, barely realized we had a centre back pairing and thought they both dealt with what they had to in the second, though Agger got a very soft yellow.  Wisdom was a bit quieter yesterday, but recovered it when he looked beaten a couple of times.  Johnspn had a storming game going forward, which left gaps that we plugged fairly well most of the time or Reading just failed to exploit it.

I thought Allen, for the first time really, looked a little uncomfortable at times, not enjoying being cut out by Jones, not wholly comfortable with some of his defensive duties.  Gerrard played within himself, some nice passes with the outside and side of his foot, looked a little less comfortable when putting his foot through the ball and saw him hobbling a couple of times, hopefully from little knocks in the game.  Thought that Sahin was anonymous in midfield, but got forward well but was wasteful with the chances he had.

Sterling's finish was great and he had a solid game as we continue to watch him blossom.  A couple of moments in which he should have released earlier crosses, but decision making is something he's still learning and at least he's making a decision and not dithering on the ball.  Suso was quiet, neat and tidy, but largely quiet.  Suarez was his enigmatical best, though I thought Cummings dealt with him well in the first half.  Should have got at least a brace yesterday though.

Of the subs, Enrique looked comfortable and worked well with Johnson at times, didn't see much of Henderson but Shelvey took his cameo and pressed his case to start yet again.  Had one worrying moment, when I thought he was about to launch on of his trademark tackles, but he stayed on his feet and harried the player. Offered a lot going forward as well.

To use the overused phrase, it was a game of two halves yesterday  and it was good to not get punished for a poorer second half performance.  But I've said before, I'd take 30 1-0 wins in the league, season in, season out.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,312 posts | 6377 
      Reply #393: Oct 21, 2012 10:51:50 am
      I didn't get to see much of the game but I was able to see the last 25 of the first half. We looked very good, in fact I wonder if we are playing too unselfish at times making one too many passes instead of shooting earlier? Either way, Sterling's goal was a beauty and Suarez was once again in unmarkable. Glen had a great game as well. I think we are going to use this as a springboard to go on a winning run.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #394: Oct 21, 2012 11:26:55 am
      Looking back at yesterday, i think it was quite a momentous win looking at the negatives.

-ve's
        *Wisdoms poorest game for the first team. Has been really solid since coming in but made 2 mistakes and we nearly paid for it by giving them 2 goals.
        *Allen touch deserted him and we didnt have anyone to take his place hence the reason i think he stayed on the pitch 90 mins.
        *Suarez was very wasteful, had the opportunity to get a hatrick. Didnt look up either to play others in, and was looking for the glory when it clearly wasnt his day.
        *Gerrard was very quiet, but seems to be playing the deeper role.
        *Suso obviously isn't a winger. Hardly saw anything go through him and it was all going through Sterling on the other side.
        *Sahin seems to normally be quite  clinical but wasn't to be, only got 1 chance but i think he should have buried it. Was pretty quiet otherwise.

+ve's
        *Jones was excellent. Was quiet for big periods of the game and pulled off 2 big saves in the second half to save us the points. No flapping about on crosses too, i was very happy for him.
        *Johnson was excellent again (hes having a cracking season). We all seem to forget hes not even playing in his preferred position. Great on the ball and likes getting stuck in and pushing forward.
        *Sterling is outshining all the other possible starlets in our team. He's a guaranteed first teamer for Liverpool FC at 17 years of age, which speaks for itself. Still needs to learn his trade, but has an awesome touch and blistering speed. If only we could double him and have another on the other side, we would be a pretty potent force (Please  get Wilfred Zaha in Jan BR for the right flank)
        *Skrtel and Agger didnt really put a foot wrong, nothing outstanding but did the job in the middle.

That being said 6 players had a below par game, and we had 3 standout performers and managed to win the game. Times are changing. We just need to sort out the forward diamond and convert.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,203 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #395: Oct 21, 2012 11:43:26 am
      Out of interest, this puts us 3 points behind Arsenal. A side getting a fair bit of praise this year and who are of course being mentioned as a top 4 side. As well as that if Everton dont win today we will be only 2 or 3 points behind them after we beat them next week. Again they have rightly been praised for there form this season and fancied for a top 4 finish.

Maybe the doomsday fans should ease off a bit
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #396: Oct 21, 2012 11:55:49 am
      Didnt look up either to play others in, and was looking for the glory when it clearly wasnt his day.

I am not sure he is "looking for glory" as much as trying to make up for his earlier miss. Seems to me that when he misses an early chance, he then tries to seek redemption by trying a little too hard to score. Not a bad thing in my opinion, but on days like yesterday it can be frustrating.   
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #397: Oct 21, 2012 12:07:15 pm
      I am not sure he is "looking for glory" as much as trying to make up for his earlier miss. Seems to me that when he misses an early chance, he then tries to seek redemption by trying a little too hard to score. Not a bad thing in my opinion, but on days like yesterday it can be frustrating.   
      I agree, i probably phrased that wrong but in the end, either or, hes making the wrong decisions.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #398: Oct 21, 2012 12:31:40 pm

That is exactly how I see it.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #399: Oct 21, 2012 01:43:04 pm
      That being said 6 players had a below par game, and we had 3 standout performers and managed to win the game. Times are changing. We just need to sort out the forward diamond and convert.

Bear in mind it was straight after an international break and a lot of players throughout the league where below par yesterday. Suarez played at almost 12,000 feet, and probably wouldn't have played if we had an alternative.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #400: Oct 21, 2012 01:45:41 pm
      Only saw highligts, voted for Sterling for his continued massive effort and of course his great finish. Not the game I expected, thought we'd break them down and finish a bit more that once, and we did give them a couple of good chances, to equalise. Bit lacklustre, but 3 points. Don't think we'll take a great deal of confidence from this performance, more a sigh of relief. We are all aware that we can play a lot better, but internationals may have had a bit to do with that, weariness etc. More reason I thought Yesil might have got a bit of game time, bit dissapointed for him realy, but I supose his time will come. Can only look forward and hope we improve against the bitters, although that will follow another mid week europa league game, following which, we are never great. Fingers crossed the occasion will lift us and we can go on and secure another win.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #401: Oct 21, 2012 02:14:21 pm
      One definite positive for me was the performance of Jose Enrique when he came on. I rate him as a footballer and I hope this was the prelude to him coming back into favour.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #402: Oct 21, 2012 02:27:31 pm
      Suarez played at almost 12,000 feet

Would make an ideal Stoke forward at that
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #403: Oct 21, 2012 02:39:42 pm
      Would make an ideal Stoke forward at that

Every goal he scored would be from 12000 ft away (approximately), would be quite a talent if he could manage that.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #404: Oct 21, 2012 03:11:29 pm
      Out of interest, this puts us 3 points behind Arsenal. A side getting a fair bit of praise this year and who are of course being mentioned as a top 4 side. As well as that if Everton dont win today we will be only 2 or 3 points behind them after we beat them next week. Again they have rightly been praised for there form this season and fancied for a top 4 finish.

Maybe the doomsday fans should ease off a bit

Brian! You meen to say we have some Doomsday fans? I don't believe it  ;)
      waz112003
      • Banned

• 70 posts |
      Reply #405: Oct 21, 2012 03:35:03 pm
      It was hard three points against Reading at Anfield. We dominated the game and deserved the three points but the problem with us is that we make tough in ourselves which needs to be changed so thankfully to Brad Jones who made couple of decent saves to kept a clean sheet & our first win at Anfield in the league. 

It's been a long time coming, we should have had three points here long before yesterday. But on the back of an international break and players travelling all over the world, I thought it was a terrific performance.

We need to be bit more clinical & improve our finishing which is an ongoing theme but as long as we get three points and a clean sheet that's the most important thing.

We need to get some more players around Luis Suarez who can take the pressure off him but hopefully this result will be an platform to build to make Anfield fortress once again...
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #406: Oct 21, 2012 03:56:47 pm
      One definite positive for me was the performance of Jose Enrique when he came on. I rate him as a footballer and I hope this was the prelude to him coming back into favour.

Agreed. Enrique looked good when he came on. Hopefully the manager's comments have resulted in an improved attitude and determination to play better.

Keep it up, lad.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #407: Oct 21, 2012 04:39:31 pm
      Good points:
      -Jones was good although not confident in his passing at all, but was good. I doubt Reina would have stopped the shot in the second half. I'm really worried by Reina.
      -Sterling pace was used very well, and he looks willing to make assists instead.

Negative points:
      -Hendo was not used even though he could have been an input of freshness in the team in the second. He should have replaced the struggling Allen IMO
      -Suarez was not willing to conclude our opportunities at all, he was never going into the box to get the ball from a cross. We need a true striker, if we have had a true striker upfront we would have score 1 or 2 more goals for sure, even if it's little Morgan or Yesil.

Brendan is losing points for me, he needs to do more efficient coaching, Hendo, Assaidi and Shelvey should have played more.

And why play Sahin as AM? Gerrard is much better there and Sahin is a better tackler.
      It's a win but one of which I'd be ashamed to get proud of.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #408: Oct 21, 2012 05:19:31 pm
      Brendan is losing points for me, he needs to do more efficient coaching, Hendo, Assaidi and Shelvey should have played more.
      Hey me too! I always find I can make better decisions than Rodgers after the game as been played!

It's a win but one of which I'd be ashamed to get proud of.
      Nobody is even remotely suggesting we should be proud of how we won. I like to think we're a lot more clued up than that.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #409: Oct 21, 2012 05:31:52 pm
      Hey me too! I always find I can make better decisions than Rodgers after the game as been played!
      Nobody is even remotely suggesting we should be proud of how we won. I like to think we're a lot more clued up than that.

It made me smile, I'm not saying my opinion counts for BR, but seriously, his coaching has not been great recently. I think he's capable of much much better, putting Shelvey was great but Hendo and Enrique for Sterling and Suso was not a good idea. I think(as everybody I guess) we should have won this game more comfortably.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #410: Oct 21, 2012 05:36:16 pm
      I don't think he got anything wrong concerning the players he chose, nothing stand out and glaring at least.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #411: Oct 21, 2012 05:41:50 pm
      I don't think he got anything wrong concerning the players he chose, nothing stand out and glaring at least.

I wouldn't nessessarily agree with that mate..
      One or two things I personally believe are not getting the best out of us and potentially what that may mean going forward..

But I'm happy as always to back the managers judgement as he knows far more than me.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #412: Oct 21, 2012 05:44:20 pm
      I think Gerrard should be moved further forward - expect it to happen when Lucas is back

Against teams like Reading we should have both Allen and Gerrard sitting. Sahin needs to swap with Gerrard.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #413: Oct 21, 2012 06:39:39 pm
      Felt this thread was overly whingey (given it's only our 2nd win of the year) when i popped in right after the game yesterday and have read nothing to change my mind on that today.

Fookin delighted to get the win meself, not even gonna whinge about not converting chances because winning 1-0 is something this team need to learn how to do. Mid-table and on the rise at last. 7 points from the last 9. Happy days.

Quick Reply