Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Raheem Sterling
      36 (33.6%)
      Glen Johnson
      51 (47.7%)
      Brad Jones
      5 (4.7%)
      Luis Suarez
      9 (8.4%)
      Nuri Sahin
      1 (0.9%)
      Joe Allen
      3 (2.8%)
      Someone else
      2 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Voting closed: Oct 23, 2012 07:03:33 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Reading: In game and Post Match Debate

Read 29100 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Re: LIVE: Liverpool vs Reading
      Reply #345: Oct 20, 2012 05:31:50 pm
      Just out of work so great to see a winning score line and good to see Raheem get a goal.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #346: Oct 20, 2012 05:34:27 pm
      I have a serious question though; how on earth does a manager change a team as chronically wasteful as ourselves?

Kenny, Rafa and Brendan all seen us lose points to consistently wasting chances and silly mistakes. How on earth do you fix that?

We need a proper goalscorer mate.

Someone who just loves scoring goals and should be our biggest priority as soon as the window opens.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #347: Oct 20, 2012 05:35:36 pm

Someone who just loves scoring goals and should be our biggest priority as soon as the window opens.

Shane Long anyone?
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #348: Oct 20, 2012 05:36:37 pm

It's more than that. I mean Johnson vs Stoke, Shelvey today, Sterling today, Suarez everyday, Carroll most of last season.

Everyone in our squad bar Gerrard, and last season Kuyt and Maxi, I'm never genuinely confident they'll score.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #349: Oct 20, 2012 05:38:08 pm
      Quite a whingey thread considering we won the game today. Didn't see the game but delighted to see the lads get their 2nd clean sheet on the bounce and all that truly matters is getting 3 points fo ronly the 2nd time this season. Nice to be back up in mid-table!!!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #350: Oct 20, 2012 05:44:34 pm
      It's more than that. I mean Johnson vs Stoke, Shelvey today, Sterling today, Suarez everyday, Carroll most of last season.

Everyone in our squad bar Gerrard, and last season Kuyt and Maxi, I'm never genuinely confident they'll score.

I get your point KS but if we had that proper goalscorer in the team it might just lift the pressure felt by others as I feel we are much too anxious in front of goal at times.
      luciano-lfc
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #351: Oct 20, 2012 05:48:11 pm
      Feeling great with the win. We could have controlled the second half better, make them see less of the ball, but that's for next time.

Felt Jones played well. I'm feeling safer with him between the sticks than with Reina, to be completely honest, though I'm sure a lot will disagree.

Wisdom wasn't quite as dominant as in other games, and Suso disappeared as the game went on. Felt Sterling was taking too long to make his mind up about what play he would make when we broke on the counter, but after his talk with Brendan at the touchline, he started to be more decisive.

Liked the subs Brendan made. Chuffed to bits Enrique played a good game at left wing!! Maybe we're gonna see more of him there.
      sabbath
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #352: Oct 20, 2012 05:54:40 pm

Agree with this entirely.  We've got no one who anticipates spills from keepers, who moves to the back post for a tap in when someone is shooting across the goal.  Someone with a knack of just being in the right place at the right time if you like.  Huntalaar perhaps?  Had a great relationship with Luis at Ajax.

Normally our players are standing watching from outside the box or on the penalty spot, whilst someone has a shot from a difficult angle.  Someone should be bloody moving straight in looking for that slight touch that makes all the difference. 

Poacher and wide man needed, in that order.   Cover for Lucas too.   As good as Allen is at keeping the ball, he does very little to cover full backs far up the pitch and snapping out those quick breaks before they begin.  He's not a DM, I'm not criticising him for this.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Liverpool 1:0 Reading. In game & post match discussion.
      Reply #353: Oct 20, 2012 05:56:36 pm
      Jones was good but my, my his distribution was totally at odds with the style required of him.

Johnson was excellent, obviously MOTM. Suarez was Suarez.

It seems to me he genuinely needs some psychological help to calm him down, it's got to the point where if he doesn't score early he gets himself so angry he tenses up and his finishing gets worse.

Suso and Wisdom weren't as good as they were in other games, but that is to be expected at this point. Sterling was good, Sahin a bit of a passenger for me.

I have a serious question though; how on earth does a manager change a team as chronically wasteful as ourselves?

Kenny, Rafa and Brendan all seen us lose points to consistently wasting chances and silly mistakes. How on earth do you fix that?

Easy KS by signing a top class striker
      Super jack
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #354: Oct 20, 2012 06:01:55 pm
       :f_wah: :f_wah: here we go again blaming the ref same as the stoke game get on with it its swings and roundabouts  where was plan B today? It doesnt exist never has and never will!
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #355: Oct 20, 2012 06:09:47 pm
      Easy KS by signing a top class striker

Any names in particular ?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #356: Oct 20, 2012 06:11:15 pm

Pay me a few thousand and I'll find you one George.

Did say on here adrian Lopez last season when he was available for 7.5million euro from Deportivo but we seemed to be more interested in the Premiership proven player
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #357: Oct 20, 2012 06:13:41 pm
      Pay me a few thousand and I'll find you one George.

Did say adrian Lopez last season when he was available for 7.5million euro from Deportivo

He isn't exactly prolific.

We signed one player from the prem this summer - the others from abroad ? So are we really interested in just prem proven ?

As for today's game - it was very bitty and disjointed and scrappy but it was our first win at home this season and only our third this year so that's good enough for me
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #358: Oct 20, 2012 06:18:18 pm
      He is young technically gifted and knows where the goal is, A Madrid are in financial trouble and there is talk of a 14.5 million buyout.

What you want me to say George, Falcao, Higuain I think both me and you are aware with our current owners that type of player is out of our price range so someone like Lopez maybe worth a gamble because who ever we do sign will be a gamble because we aint playing at the top table.

But here George give me a few thousand and free travel around Europe and I'll find you that striker.

My comment about premiership proven is aimed at last season
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #359: Oct 20, 2012 06:24:38 pm
      I'd F***ing love it if we had a player who could stick that round thing in the back of those red net things.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #360: Oct 20, 2012 06:27:09 pm
      I'd be more concerned if we were not creating chances.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #361: Oct 20, 2012 06:29:25 pm
      I'd be more concerned if we were not creating chances.

Its more serious than whether we are creating chances or not, we have 3 wins at Anfield this year
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #362: Oct 20, 2012 06:30:04 pm
      Unfortunately when you say top class the options become small
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #363: Oct 20, 2012 06:31:38 pm
      Unfortunately when you say top class the options become small

They do especially when you have a limited cheque book.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #364: Oct 20, 2012 06:34:31 pm
      Suarez must have been jet-lagged. Still a phenomenon.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Reading: In game and Post Match Debate
      Reply #365: Oct 20, 2012 06:43:09 pm
      Its more serious than whether we are creating chances or not, we have 3 wins at Anfield this year
      I'd be more concerned if we were not creating chances - regardless.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #366: Oct 20, 2012 06:49:22 pm
      They do especially when you have a limited cheque book.

It's a lot more than that

It's getting the right players for the money spent

For the prices we have coughed out over the last 24 months we could have bought players like Falcao, Carzola, Podolski , Reus , Kagawa - all players transferred in the last 24 months for fees less or the same as what we have paid out for players like Carroll, Henderson,Downing and Adam.

That's not down to the lack of funds that's spending your money better. When you don't have unlimited funds you need to spend what you have better
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #367: Oct 20, 2012 06:53:17 pm
      Great 1st half perfomance+ 1 goal + shakey 2nd half performance = 3 points!!

More of the same next time please :)

Really made up Sterling got his first Prem goal at home, and a great goal at that. :)

Quick Reply