Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Steven Gerrard and where he plays. The biggest problem for Brendan?

Read 9008 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Re: Steven Gerrard and where he plays. The biggest problem for Brendan?
      Reply #69: Oct 30, 2012 07:24:52 am
      Once again i'm amazed at the amount of scrutiny the Captain is getting this season. For all the pretty keep ball we're playing this season, Gerrard is pretty much the only player in the side who plays a penetrating pass but suddenly everyone is obsessed with the 5 yard square pass so it doesn't really matter. For me, the Captain is having a pretty decent season so far and I think the career obituaries being bandied about by a few a VERY premature.
      Don77

• 6,540 posts | 1091 
      Reply #70: Oct 30, 2012 11:05:20 am
      Once again i'm amazed at the amount of scrutiny the Captain is getting this season. For all the pretty keep ball we're playing this season, Gerrard is pretty much the only player in the side who plays a penetrating pass but suddenly everyone is obsessed with the 5 yard square pass so it doesn't really matter. For me, the Captain is having a pretty decent season so far and I think the career obituaries being bandied about by a few a VERY premature.
      !
      This. Well said mate!! Stevie isnt the player he was but neither were plenty of our other greats at 32/33!

Just because he isnt superman anymore carrying the whole club on his back its time to get rid according to some. I had to laugh at a post the other day claiming he needs to 'earn his wages' like he was some underachieving lazy arse like Joe Cole or Stewart Downing!!  :lmao:

He has been decent this season by his own standards and he would admit that himself. But he is still a quality player, has earned the right to be club captain and still has plenty left to offer!! After a rough 18 months he is stringing games together, getting fitter and that can only be a good thing!!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #71: Oct 30, 2012 11:15:23 am

Nobody has become obsessed with the 5 yard pass.
      Most have said Gerrard hasn't got the legs to get about the pitch like he did in his prime.
      We'd be better served if he was playing, like under Rafa, in a more advanced role.
      Given the playing staff available that would most likely be to the right of the front three.
      Leaves him able to release the killer ball and arrive late in the box. To use a midfield three
      like we do and have Gerrard in the front three would leave us with Sahin and Shelvey/Henderson
      playing in front of the holding Allen/Lucas.

Nothing wrong with stating that. Others may have different opinions on the matter but for me
      Gerrard is at his best when he is attacking for us. His and Liverpool's best seasons have been in
      an attacking role
      Don77

• 6,540 posts | 1091 
      Reply #72: Oct 30, 2012 11:22:59 am
      Nobody has become obsessed with the 5 yard pass.
      Most have said Gerrard hasn't got the legs to get about the pitch like he did in his prime.
      We'd be better served if he was playing, like under Rafa, in a more advanced role.
      Given the playing staff available that would most likely be to the right of the front three.
      Leaves him able to release the killer ball and arrive late in the box. To use a midfield three
      like we do and have Gerrard in the front three would leave us with Sahin and Shelvey/Henderson
      playing in front of the holding Allen/Lucas.

Nothing wrong with stating that. Others may have different opinions on the matter but for me
      Gerrard is at his best when he is attacking for us. His and Liverpool's best seasons have been in
      an attacking role

I agree with that. Would play him in a 3 with suarez through the middle and sterling on the other side and see how it goes.

However...when fit i would try lucas in front with allen and stevie to the right of a 3 with shelvey in the middle and sterling left  so probably a 4-2-3-1. I think that could work along with a 4-3-3 in which case id have lucas allen and shelvey in midfield!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2826 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #73: Oct 30, 2012 06:50:59 pm
      How about on the bench for the time being?
      Don77

• 6,540 posts | 1091 
      Reply #74: Oct 30, 2012 07:50:22 pm
      How about on the bench for the time being?

Probably get your wish tomorrow Brian. Save him for Newcastle on sunday!

Quick Reply