Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Suso: Where would he be most effective?

Read 3599 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Suso: Where would he be most effective?
      Oct 23, 2012 07:15:23 pm
      Ill start by saying firstly Im delighted to see the boy getting a run in the first team and secondly for him to showing his talents quite well from his wide position.

However I cant help but think the team would benefit a lot more from him playing a different role. For me either behind a front 2 or as an out and out midfileder getting on the ball and spraying passes around. The boy is so creative but also excellent running at defenders with the bal almost glued to his feet (which is why Id love to see him play that central role behind the front 2).

But my view is offset by 2 things. Brendans fancy for 4 3 3 this limits the chance for a player to play behind a front 2. And secondly he's competing for that central midfield berth with Allen, Sahin, Gerrard, Shelvey, Henderson, and when he's back Lucas..

So are we seeing Suso being used at present in a role where he is effective for us or would be benefit more from playing him central but at the expense of 1 of the above midfielders?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Re: Suso: Where would he be most effective?
      Reply #1: Oct 23, 2012 07:49:47 pm
      I think because he can play wide we will see him there initially Brian but like you I feel he'd be most effective as the furthest forward of the three on Brendans system.

But for him to play there he needs to be consistently better than Gerrard or Shelvey and maybe the boss doesn't want to put too much pressure on him in such an important position in the team especially when we have more experienced players to play there.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #2: Oct 23, 2012 10:21:47 pm
      I'll leave him on the right wing. He is able to waltz in and do damage from there. The problem right now is the absence of a left full back. A Suso/Johnson combination would be intense.

We just need Enrique to hold down the left like he used to.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #3: Oct 23, 2012 10:23:20 pm
      I'll leave him on the right wing. He is able to waltz in and do damage from there. The problem right now is the absence of a left full back. A Suso/Johnson combination would be intense.

We just need Enrique to hold down the left like he used to.

Remember a lot of talented players who started playing regularly on the wing become more central. Hes not a winger but has played wider than in the reserves.

Maybe he can follow the example of Mata, Silva, Ronaldo, Messi who all started their careers as "wingers"
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #4: Oct 24, 2012 02:20:24 am
      Isn't he primarily a central midfielder?

It's going to be difficult for him to get ahead of Sahin or Gerrard in that area.

But at the moment, I'll leave him on the right wing - where has been very good and where he will improve to be a much better player. Also, he's cut in a few times to try to take a shot from there.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #5: Oct 24, 2012 02:30:13 am
      I've seen Suso play wide for the youngsters and he's nowhere near as effective out there as he is in the middle but I would keep him as a wide man in the front 3 for now, for the very reasons people have already mentioned.
      In Brendan's preferred positions, the competition for a place in the midfield 3 is pretty fierce and he seems to prefer to have just one midifielder who pushes up behind the front 3, with 2 deeper and the fullbacks overlapping.
      Fortunately, playing wide in a front 3 doesn't mean that you have to hug the touchline (especially with Glen / Andre running past you) and as we've already seen, he will have every opportunity to move inside.
      I'm happy with him where he is as long as he keeps getting chances.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #6: Oct 24, 2012 03:18:41 am
      I've seen Suso play wide for the youngsters and he's nowhere near as effective out there as he is in the middle but I would keep him as a wide man in the front 3 for now, for the very reasons people have already mentioned.
      In Brendan's preferred positions, the competition for a place in the midfield 3 is pretty fierce and he seems to prefer to have just one midifielder who pushes up behind the front 3, with 2 deeper and the fullbacks overlapping.
      Fortunately, playing wide in a front 3 doesn't mean that you have to hug the touchline (especially with Glen / Andre running past you) and as we've already seen, he will have every opportunity to move inside.
      I'm happy with him where he is as long as he keeps getting chances.

Agree with all this apart from the part where Brendan likes to play 2 holding midfielders. I think he's already eluded to switching to a 1 holding (Lucas) and 2 forward when Lucas is back, the competition will be fierce for those 2 positions though and we're a bit away from being there because he wont rush Lucas to take on that work load. I do love the way he already links with Suarez and playing him just in behind seems a matter of time for me because it's obvious where he'll perform best but as virtually all have said there's no point rushing him.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #7: Oct 24, 2012 03:21:00 am
      I'd switch him and the skipper. That won't happen though, so keep it as is, as I'd rather have him in the team.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #8: Oct 24, 2012 03:50:48 am
      It will be difficult for him to get that AM spot this season.I think we will see him more centrally next season as sahin will leave back to madrid and gerrard would be even knackered.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #9: Oct 24, 2012 08:28:46 am
       I think he is doing well enough playing where he is,he has got a good football brain and if required to change position he is well capable.I have been very impressed with the lad and he deserves every accolade and encouragement.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #10: Oct 24, 2012 08:28:48 am
      Isn't he primarily a central midfielder?

It's going to be difficult for him to get ahead of Sahin or Gerrard in that area.

But at the moment, I'll leave him on the right wing - where has been very good and where he will improve to be a much better player. Also, he's cut in a few times to try to take a shot from there.

I don't think he'll ever be that in the Premiership. My guess is that as he develops he'll become an in the hole player, and much as Sterling did for his goal on Saturday there ought to be scope for Suso to come in off the right and score goals. He is obviously going to be offensive than defensive, and he really could be anything in terms of ability. I really like the kid myself, and what he is now bares absolutely no resemblance whatsoever to what he will become. As of today he probably is one of the weaker links in the team in that we probably need to buy somebody better in January. Longer term though, over the next two or three seasons the kid could be very special indeed.

He may end up being the biggest legacy of the Benitez era.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #11: Oct 24, 2012 02:36:10 pm
      I think we're going to see him on the "wing" for the next few seasons at least. And I put "wing" in quotes because it isn't really wide midfield but more like wide forwards. We can already see how effective some of his moves are out wide. He has a decent bag of tricks to get past an outside back and we've seen some of the passes he plays from out wide. I don't seem him playing centrally on any kind of regular basis soon. Maybe in 2.5 years, but for now he'll still be playing wide.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #12: Oct 24, 2012 02:47:44 pm
      I think he is doing well enough playing where he is,he has got a good football brain and if required to change position he is well capable.I have been very impressed with the lad and he deserves every accolade and encouragement.

Agreed Billy.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #13: Oct 24, 2012 03:05:06 pm
      Sorry if I have stood on anyone else's point here I haven't time to read all the previous posts but for me he is a million times more effective centrally than out wide. For the time being though whilst he adapts to the pace of the prem he can still do a job out wide. But I love to see him control games.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #14: Oct 24, 2012 06:43:19 pm
      He's best in a free role. Let him find space and do his damage all over the front 4 (I'm including the tip of Brendan's 3-man midfield triangle as part of the truly attacking 4).

I do think, like other posters have said on this thread already, that once Enrique is back and Johnno goes back to his natural RB position, Suso working as the right inside forward with Johnson overlapping will be our best offensive combination. Can't wait.
      Crazy horses
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #15: Oct 24, 2012 08:59:39 pm
      Needs to find his feet first and grow into the side, his position will become apparent soon enough.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #16: Oct 31, 2012 01:25:18 am
      Suso reminds me very much of Luis Garcia, bagful of tricks and can create something out of nothing but a bit lightweigh.  He will be most suited to the wing instead of a midfield role unless he can prove to be as tough as Souness. I'm not saying he won't but not that I can see at the moment. The lad has vast potential but just have to develope his confidence a bit more to take on defenders and toughen himself up a bit kore like Sterling and he'll be immense. Definitely an asset for the future. I'm happy BR is giving him the chances, at least he can see his own developemnt with the club and most probably a promising future.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #17: Oct 31, 2012 01:45:35 am
      Don't like the Garcia comparison one bit, everytime I see Suso he looks in control of the ball he plays very much with his head up (none of which you could say about Garcia) and even at such a young age mirrors David Silva guile on the ball.

I honestly don't think in this day an age and with BR steering the ship he needs to be pigeon held with a position. The likes of Mata, Hazard, Silva, Iniesta don't really have a position they interchange along the width of the pitch behind the striker/strikers.

A real talent who I'm sure over the next few season will just get better and better.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #18: Oct 31, 2012 01:50:30 am
      I feel he doesn't have the pace to be a player like Sterling on the wings. Suso is all skill and technique, which, IMO should be played centrally.

I also feel he has done well in his many starts, except against Everton where he couldn't do much but that's due to the nature and intensity of the game itself. Has done well in his position whenever he's played in general.

Also the fact that he would be playing much better if he has someone like Glen Johnson supporting him instead of a young Andre Wisdom who is also finding his feet.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #19: Oct 31, 2012 08:38:25 am
      Suso has 'number 10' written all over him. That's where he'll eventually end up and that's where he'll be World Class; in my humble. I'm not so sure that we play with a traditional 'number 10' under the current system so it may be a while before we see him at his "most effective".
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #20: Oct 31, 2012 11:41:31 am
      Suso has 'number 10' written all over him. That's where he'll eventually end up and that's where he'll be World Class; in my humble. I'm not so sure that we play with a traditional 'number 10' under the current system so it may be a while before we see him at his "most effective".

I agree with that.

Suso plays out wide because he's been played there on the right at youth level to get his quality onto the pitch in a 4-3-3.
      Ultimately I think he will be fantastic in the role of the 10. That's another reason we may not see Pacheco get a chance.
      Just as the team begins to give youth a chance Sterling and Suso are effectively better in the positions Pacheco plays.

We have seen that Brendan will adapt his system when he needs to and I would say that when Suso develops more we
      may very well see a more 4-2-3-1 based system, much like we have in the League Cup. Instead of seeing Henderson - Shelvey and Pacheco
      we may well get to have a Lucas - Allen and Suso line up. The only reason to not head down that route is Shelvey. Both Shelvey and Suso
      are best suited to the forward centre roll. To have Suso out wide marginalises his impact on the game, but for now it's our best option.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #21: Oct 31, 2012 11:47:20 am
      I'd swap Gerrard and Suso, Suso is pretty much ineffective out wide in my opinion, pacey full backs just about nullify him, physical full backs the same, I'd like to see him in the middle where he has a wider scope for his wonderful range of passing, whilst Gerrard wouldn't be nullified on the right as he has the strength to go toe to toe with a physical full back and a the turn of pace to get at a pacey full back.

Quick Reply