Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Your LFC MotM?

Suarez
      (75.2%)
      Allen
      (4.5%)
      Gerrard
      (1.3%)
      Skrtel
      (17.2%)
      Agger
      (1.3%)
      Enrique
      (0.6%)

Everton 2-2 Liverpool: In-game discussion & post-match "WTF?!"

Read 44061 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Everton 2-2 Liverpool: In-game discussion & post-match "WTF?!"
      Reply #667: Oct 28, 2012 07:29:31 pm
      Did you see Luis slot that coin he picked up into his boot!!..genius

Haha! Was laughing my head off at that.

On a side note it's great to see Brendan making a bold decision at half time to make changes and change formation and shows he is not going to blindly stick by his 4 4 3. It's a sign of a great coach when they see a change is needed and make it quickly.

Forgot to mention that mate. Thought our boss deserved credit for recognising the need to change things at half time. Even though that Mirallas went off at half time, he was getting a lot of joy down the left and we were prone to the high ball.
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #668: Oct 28, 2012 07:33:21 pm
      It was a sloppy game that I honestly don't think we played particularly well in. Introducing Shelvey at the half really seemed to make a difference, but I think we allowed Everton to dictate the pace of the game far too much.

I know Jones isn't great with the ball at his feet, but I didn't understand why we kept lopping the ball forward instead of building from the back. The philosophy didn't seem to be the one we've been implementing all season.

Still, we scored three goals (I don't give a flying F**k what the linesman said, that was a goal and we won the damn game) and I can't complain about getting the ball in the net. Suarez was immense. That diving celebration was brilliant and I also got a huge kick out of him keeping the coin that was thrown at him.

Unfortunately our defense was shaky for both of their goals, and part of that was that we decided after going up 2-0 to stop playing for possession. Let them see too much of the ball and got burned for it.

I've got to give props to Allen and Sterling, they were getting bullied by the bigger Everton players but they never quit and kept fighting.

So what does everyone think we should do with Reina? Jones hasn't done poorly, but he's still prone to mistakes. Reina, on the other hand, has been shaky this year, but we all know that he is capable of much more. They said that Reina was fit today, but they went with Jones anyways. So does he get his spot back against Swansea? Or should we stick with Jones for now?
      Super jack
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #669: Oct 28, 2012 07:49:41 pm
       :f_wah: :lmao: :f_wah: I get sick to death of hearing it every week whingeing about the officials decisions it works both ways or is it only Liverpool who are on the wrong end I don't think so swings and roundabouts that's what it is
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #670: Oct 28, 2012 08:01:49 pm
      2 small players, Lucas and Allen.
      One has shown plenty of times that he has the measure of Fellaini (the dirty c**t) the other was bullied off the ball on numerous occasions, fair play to him he never gave up but Lucas would have made a big difference today.

I'm still pissed off about the disallowed goal, but thought we did OK particularly in the 2nd half.
      sofkop
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 56 posts |
      Reply #671: Oct 28, 2012 08:12:29 pm
      It was a sloppy game that I honestly don't think we played particularly well in. Introducing Shelvey at the half really seemed to make a difference, but I think we allowed Everton to dictate the pace of the game far too much.

I know Jones isn't great with the ball at his feet, but I didn't understand why we kept lopping the ball forward instead of building from the back. The philosophy didn't seem to be the one we've been implementing all season.

Still, we scored three goals (I don't give a flying f**k what the linesman said, that was a goal and we won the damn game) and I can't complain about getting the ball in the net. Suarez was immense. That diving celebration was brilliant and I also got a huge kick out of him keeping the coin that was thrown at him.

Unfortunately our defense was shaky for both of their goals, and part of that was that we decided after going up 2-0 to stop playing for possession. Let them see too much of the ball and got burned for it.

I've got to give props to Allen and Sterling, they were getting bullied by the bigger Everton players but they never quit and kept fighting.

So what does everyone think we should do with Reina? Jones hasn't done poorly, but he's still prone to mistakes. Reina, on the other hand, has been shaky this year, but we all know that he is capable of much more. They said that Reina was fit today, but they went with Jones anyways. So does he get his spot back against Swansea? Or should we stick with Jones for now?

Away from home to an established, settled and assured Everton team on good form with a new look Liverpool team who featured 6 players who'd never played in a Merseyside derby before. We were never going to control the tempo of the match or completely dominate the game. We did well to get two goals out of virtually nothing. Helps that Suarez had his shooting boots on today. Reaction to going up was poor but that's become a bit of a theme with us lately. We need to stop getting so panicked protecting the lead. We just fall deeper and deeper into our own half and invite pressure onto us. There's no need to be so nervous, we might not have a regular DM but Agger and Skrtel when on form the way that they are now pretty much sweep everything up. Defending in our own half meant that we kept giving away free kicks and corners and we were being dominated in the air. It was shocking to see how big Everton players were compared to ours. Not that surprising considering the relative age but even so, we were a bit naive to throw out such a tiny side.

Second half we were much better defensively because Shelvey and Coates's physicality were very much needed. Everton created two decent chances in the second half imo. Jelavic's header wide from a corner and when the ball ran across the face of the goal (can't remember who it was but Skrtel dealt with it). We cranked up the pressure in the last 15 minutes or so. I really liked seeing it because it felt like something we didn't know how to do last season. We got the goal and we know how it went..

I still think the Arsenal performance at home was worse than this.

Also, it was class seeing Allen fight like a terrier for every ball against Fellaini who is huge compared to him. Sahin really needs to work on that. He's very poor when the tempo is high or we're being pressurized. Seems he's always shirking responsibility. If anyone frequently goes for the easy ball or makes the wrong decisions it's Sahin not Allen. I have no doubt he's a class player, I envied him when he was playing for Dortmund but that really isn't the player we're seeing atm. I read he only attempted 12 passes in the first half and a 58% pass completion rate. Allen who wasn't v.good in the first half still had a pass success rate of 86% which doesn't reach his usual level but it makes Sahin pale in comparison. Shocking stuff.

Johnson was a big loss. I feel like (attacking wise) he's almost as important as Suarez in terms of chance creation.
      parargon
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #672: Oct 28, 2012 08:56:49 pm
      Strange feelings about this match.  Yes we could (should) have won, but the bitters had plenty of chances aswell.  Good half time changes by BR saved the game.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #673: Oct 28, 2012 09:00:04 pm
      Should never have let a two goal advantage slip.  Especially after the blistering start.

Some of the goals we have conceded this season have been embarrassing.  I don't expect us to knock up big score lines at the other end (thanks to the blinder played by LFC in the transfer window) but our defending at times is shambolic.  Not Premier League standard.

If we hadn't let two soft goals in then we wouldn't be worrying about a last minute offside decision.

10 points from 9 games. A quarter of the season gone.  F***ing abysmal.
      Crazy horses
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #674: Oct 28, 2012 09:06:23 pm
      Strange feelings about this match.  Yes we could (should) have won, but the bitters had plenty of chances aswell.  Good half time changes by BR saved the game.

Another positive showed Brendon was not/is not a one trick pony and can change tactics when required.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #675: Oct 28, 2012 09:09:02 pm
      Robbed. Perfectly good winner in last minute ruled offside. What a load of bollox, it wasn't even close to being offside - lineman, you fu**ed up bigtime, cost us 3 points.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #676: Oct 28, 2012 09:09:40 pm
      As I feared a few of our newcomers to the derby got caught in the headlights, thankfully Brendan made the changes early enough. Thought we did much better in the second half, even though we were 2-0 up early in the first half.

I don't think we really deserved to win the game, but I doubt I would have had a sleepless night if we had won it at the death. The mancs do that week in week out and don't seem to suffer from guilt.

Suarez was outstanding in the first half , perhaps a little less so in the second half until he was robbed of the winning goal. Again I thought we suffered a little without a striker in the box. Stirling again was moved central but this time missed a glorious chance to score or even make the pass to Suarez (I think he was right to try to score from that position)

Out muscled for much of the game I thought we competed well, but hindsight for me would have had Pepe in goal and more experience in the team from the start.

Good management from Brendan, made the changes quickly and more importantly made the right changes imo.     
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #677: Oct 28, 2012 09:17:54 pm
      Well, where to start?

1 We were robbed the winner. I don't think that can be denied. One of the biggest errors in judement Ive ever seen. Simply no excuse for that.

2 Credit to Everton (players). I thought they were playing well for stretches of the game and you can't say they didn't deserve their two goals. They battled for those.

3 That said, Brad Jones WTF dude. A completely awkward attempt to punch the ball away, uses his right hand acrpss his body instead of using both or his left. I 'm not saying Brad was at fault, but that first goal really put them back in the game.

4 Enrique. I thought Jose was ok until their equalizer. Absentmindedness allowed nIasmith to come through unmarked and untouched.

5 I felt the youngsters were a bit rattled at times. Wisdom struggled down the right side, and I think that was the worst we've seen from Andre. Skrtel and Agger were beastly though.

6 Brendan was absolutely brilliant. His adjustments in the second half were exactly needed. Great moves to shift to a 3 5 2. Shelvey was excellent when he came on btw.

7 I love Suarez even more after that goal celebration. Shoving it right back down Moyes' throat, the c**t!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #678: Oct 28, 2012 09:19:48 pm
      My only gripe today is letting a 2 goal lead slip,we should have shut the toffees out.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #679: Oct 28, 2012 10:55:30 pm
      Have you seen the highlight videos have been blocked by the EPL, same for the Utd Chelsea game. Very conspiratorial
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #680: Oct 28, 2012 11:02:44 pm
      Just seen the disallowed goal and it's an absolute mile onside.

Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #681: Oct 28, 2012 11:12:45 pm
      :f_wah: :lmao: :f_wah: I get sick to death of hearing it every week whingeing about the officials decisions it works both ways or is it only Liverpool who are on the wrong end I don't think so swings and roundabouts that's what it is

... the F**k?

What are you taking? Can I have some?

Have you not seen any of our matches, any of the TERRIBLE officiating, any of the awful decisions that have gone against us including that GOAL that was ONSIDE in today's game?

Do you even watch the matches? I'm having my doubts.

Or are you some WUM who's failed miserably at an attempt to wind people up, and have come here in an effort to hit thinly-veiled insults towards people?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #682: Oct 28, 2012 11:17:49 pm
      ... the f**k?

Have you not seen any of our matches, any of the TERRIBLE officiating, any of the awful decisions that have gone against us including that GOAL that was ONSIDE in today's game?

Or are you some WUM who's failed miserably at an attempt to wind people up, and have come here in an effort to hit thinly-veiled insults towards people?

Agree Res.

We've been on the wrong end of far too many 'decisions' for far too long now.

That goal today should never have been called offside and the fact the linesman didn't flag for an absolute age speaks volumes.

Officials are far too easily influenced.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #683: Oct 28, 2012 11:32:21 pm
      Banner at today's game:

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #684: Oct 28, 2012 11:48:09 pm
      I just had a look at the 'offside' goal again, I had a niggling suspicion that maybe Coates had climbed on an Everton player, but he hadn't, the Everton player runs under Coates jump and Coates has no option but to place his hands on him.  Coates climbing was my first thought when I saw it was ruled out, didn't cross my mind it was offside at first, at all. 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #685: Oct 29, 2012 12:06:06 am
      Anyone know where I can at least see the videos of the goals and especially the last goal that was disallowed?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #686: Oct 29, 2012 12:19:14 am
      Anyone know where I can at least see the videos of the goals and especially the last goal that was disallowed?

http://videa.hu/videok/sport/e2-2l-www.fasthighlights.com-V0j2kkpIrdVSniT6

« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2012 12:39:00 am by s@int »
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #687: Oct 29, 2012 12:23:07 am
      I am gutted abosultely gutted feel so robbed and it is no coincedence either. This is twice we have been blatantly cheated in two big derby games, FA is having a proper laugh at us and they have been for years now.

Hard to comment on the game we were far from brilliant but it is expected given the ferocity these derby games are played at and Everton's Stoke like tactics. I will agree though our defending has been embarrassign at times along with our goalkeeping too. One thing that really has annoyed me all season and especially yesterday was the space we allow for the opposing players to have between half way and our third, it's hard to grasp especially when we pack the midfield with 3 central midfielders. How the fook does Fellaini and Naismith get so much time and space on the ball?!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,322 posts | 1524 
      Reply #688: Oct 29, 2012 12:23:52 am
      First goal we conceeded has been put down to Brad Jones poor punched clearance, coupled with Sterling guarding the edge of our box for the second phase ball, and losing the position of it. The second goal, created by Fellani's cross/cut back was allowed as Gerrard was alongside him 10 seconds earlier as they challenged for the ball, Fellani then wanders off following the play and once again, Gerrard has failed to follow his man. By the time he attempts to get to him its too late. Why the F**k does he continue to do that ? If he fails to win a tackle, he moves at walking pace behind the play, looking totally uninterested, time and time again. If he'd stuck with Fellani, the cross would never have come in.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #689: Oct 29, 2012 01:10:05 am
      ... the f**k?

+1

Quick Reply