Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Your LFC MotM?

Suarez
      (75.2%)
      Allen
      (4.5%)
      Gerrard
      (1.3%)
      Skrtel
      (17.2%)
      Agger
      (1.3%)
      Enrique
      (0.6%)

Everton 2-2 Liverpool: In-game discussion & post-match "WTF?!"

Read 43999 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6365 
      Re: Everton 2-2 Liverpool: In-game discussion & post-match "WTF?!"
      Reply #690: Oct 29, 2012 01:21:17 am
      Thanks saint.

Actually went out and checked my DVR and realized the game was televised this morning and I have it recorded. Just watched the first half and then sped through to the end to see the disallowed goal. I can't believe what I saw. And then Suarez after the match trying to get clarification and the stupid linesman wouldn't even give him the decency. Absolutely ridiculous.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #691: Oct 29, 2012 01:55:52 am
      First goal we conceeded has been put down to Brad Jones poor punched clearance, coupled with Sterling guarding the edge of our box for the second phase ball, and losing the position of it. The second goal, created by Fellani's cross/cut back was allowed as Gerrard was alongside him 10 seconds earlier as they challenged for the ball, Fellani then wanders off following the play and once again, Gerrard has failed to follow his man. By the time he attempts to get to him its too late. Why the f**k does he continue to do that ? If he fails to win a tackle, he moves at walking pace behind the play, looking totally uninterested, time and time again. If he'd stuck with Fellani, the cross would never have come in.

This observation I have to agree. Of late, far too many times not only in this game that Stevie just doesn't get near enough to the nearest player to close them down and was often that few yards late in putting in a tackle or just don't have the stamina or desire to track back and often seen strolling. Ok, he may have lost some speed and mobility but at least play with some  game intelligence and I'd expect as soon as we loose possession in the opposition half Stevie gets near to the nearest midfielder, surely the ball will come that way and try to distrupt play. Shelvey is better in this aspect, luckily BR brought him on and credit to Allen he performed like a beast in the second half and I'm sure the bitters will not like to come up against this type of player, tough and rough that hassles you no end, a taste of their own medicine. We need more of this quality in our players.

I hope Sahin and Suso learned a great deal from this match that time is not on their side in this type of game where the game is played at a furious pace and they have to up their tempo and to toughen themselves up many times more like what Suarez and Sterling did. On the contrary, I thought Jones did reasonably well, ok, his punch of the ball could have been better but he could have miss timed the punch while he made some important saves and we have to recognise that. More importantly he did not crumble under pressure in such a heated game while he has less than a dozen  first team games so far. I will not shift the blame to Jones on both goals, we have ourselves to blame, we never learn, we should have deployed a player patrolling that stretch of the arch at our box between the 2-posts and we could have prevented one if not the two goals.

Ok, we may say it's Lucas job, we can't continue to use that as an excuse as he won't be back until next year, are we going to stay that way and does nothing and continue to allow others to score from around that position. Rewind back a few games and we can see a similar pattern in goals scored against us. We not only need a striker comes January but also a windscreen wiper kind of player like Didi or Masch to patrol that stretch. I'm frustrated.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #692: Oct 29, 2012 08:03:20 am
      JamesPearceEcho: Graham Poll, trying to explain why linesman flagged to disallow Suarez winner "perhaps the pressure of the timing of the goal affected him".

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/#ixzz2AfmzupnL
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #693: Oct 29, 2012 08:06:19 am
      with or without referee help moyes just can't beat liverpool at home :)
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #694: Oct 29, 2012 08:15:11 am
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #695: Oct 29, 2012 08:25:50 am
      What an immmense performance by luis saurez when you consider the games he has played in the last two weeks. Then you take into account all the negative press he has had to deal with. Most of it unjustified just a conspiracy to get him off his game,He deserved a hat trick and would be top of the scoring table if it wasnt for bad refereeing. luis was letting off steam doing a dive in front of moyes. This guy is fast becoming a legend he is carrying the reds on his shoulders on top of that.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #696: Oct 29, 2012 08:43:15 am
      Gutted!

Still, if you listen to some media and the Blue half of the city, this is their strongest team for years and its our weakest BUT STILL they only way they can get anything from a derby is because of a shocking decision by a ref!! Says it all!!

Thought Suarez was brilliant (again) but Skrtel gets my MOM, thought he was awesome.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      Reply #697: Oct 29, 2012 09:01:25 am
      I only seen one replay of the 'goal' and thought that it must of been for climbing at the time as it certainly wasn't offside.

That decision aside I don't think the Ref was too cruel to us. Could quite easily of sent Raheem off but showed a bit of common sense and made a really big and correct decision in a split second when allowing play to go on for Luis' first.

My beefs with the defensive errors and sloppy workmanship that keeps cropping in. Lost all shape and discipline after our second and should never have let them back in so soon.

Skrtel my MoM.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #698: Oct 29, 2012 09:50:42 am
       The obvious poor decision at the end aside, I think it was a good point won. I feared the worst when all the kids were in the team, particularly Suso who surely nobody can have been very surprised didn't really get into it. Not only that, but players such as Sahin are still some way away from being battle hardened enough to cope with that type of intensity. As it was though, we were getting swamped and the brave changes by the manager at half time got us over the line.

The goals we gave away were poor ones, I'd put the first one down top a poor punch by Jones. I actually though he could have caught it, but if he must punch it has to go back from the direction it came or be flipped over to the opposite flank. Punching out to the edge of the box is always a no-no and he'll know that. The second was ball watching from Enrique, who I thought had a decent game apart from that. Skrtel and Agger were immense, I thought Allen and Gerrard stuck to it well, while Suarez was obviously unbelieveable again. I gave him the man of the match, and he is for me THE outstanding player in the whole division as of now.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,396 posts | 3399 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #699: Oct 29, 2012 10:16:12 am
      The key point about the disallowed goal is the reaction of the blueshite players, not a murmur just despair which seeing they appealed for just about everything else in the game including a couple of shouts for LBW was very telling. 2 points dropped IMO but credit for BR for changing his system. Moyes is a F***ing hypocrite.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #700: Oct 29, 2012 10:18:29 am
      It's worth noting, the Everton players who raised their arms for offside, in my mind, are cheats in very much the same way any player is when they dive.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,672 posts | 887 
      Reply #701: Oct 29, 2012 12:07:02 pm
      i was just on the bbc website, and they have atleast 2 articles on suarez. It made me realise that since the evra episode, there is always a "expert" who have something to say about suarez. New articles from people whom i have never heard of, are venting their anger at Luis.

It's always a new thing every day. Just hope for the sake of Luis and his family that thing calm down in next couple of months because if this keeps up. there is no happy ending.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #702: Oct 29, 2012 12:49:17 pm
      i was just on the bbc website, and they have atleast 2 articles on suarez. It made me realise that since the evra episode, there is always a "expert" who have something to say about suarez. New articles from people whom i have never heard of, are venting their anger at Luis.

It's always a new thing every day. Just hope for the sake of Luis and his family that thing calm down in next couple of months because if this keeps up. there is no happy ending.

Think Stevie made the point yesterday mate that if people think they can get into Luis' head with all the bad press it isn't working as all it's doing is firing him up even more.  So fine, let them continue.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,146 posts | 2778 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #703: Oct 29, 2012 03:40:08 pm
      Happy with the point in the end gutted with the call that cost us more gutted with our defending particularly for the equaliser.

How much space we gave them on there left side was frightening and tahts where the equaliser came from, though obviisly we should have had the throw!!. We also backed off them when they ran at us instead of closing them which I couldn't get me head around.

Thought Brads punch for there first was poor that had to be punched out towards the sideline give a throw away not straight down the centre.

Overall I thought aside from Luis and maybe Agger (wasnt happ with Skrtel for the equaliser) nobody stood up and played like this was a derby and still we should have had 3 points against a side bang on form

Might turn our season ye know
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #704: Oct 29, 2012 05:16:37 pm
      It's worth noting, the Everton players who raised their arms for offside, in my mind, are cheats in very much the same way any player is when they dive.

Is Right Rodders.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #705: Oct 29, 2012 05:26:35 pm
      Watched the game again today and still can't get over the fact that we were robbed! Oh well, onto the next game as we have to put this behind us.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,490 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #706: Oct 29, 2012 06:12:52 pm
      Watched the game again today and still can't get over the fact that we were robbed! Oh well, onto the next game as we have to put this behind us.

Yup. Have to get prepared for the next cock up that ends up costing us.

Sorry, pessimistic I know :(
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,844 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #707: Oct 29, 2012 06:37:27 pm
      We should have won that ! 2-0 up , even when Everton pulled back 2-2 , Luis 's goal disallowed, young Raheem squandered a chance , we aren't putting the chances away but at least this season we are creating chances and blooding our youth ...ah for the video ref !
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #708: Oct 29, 2012 06:38:41 pm
      Yup. Have to get prepared for the next cock up that ends up costing us.

Sorry, pessimistic I know :(
      Things will only get better mate, mark my words!  :)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8543 
      Reply #709: Oct 29, 2012 08:00:50 pm
      I suppose in their minds this will make up for Clattenburg a few seasons back, only way to deal with it is make sure we smash them all round Anfield.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #710: Oct 29, 2012 10:53:41 pm
      Still cant believe that goal was ruled out, just goes to show that the officials really aren't giving us anything! No penalties for blatant fouls, throws against us when it's our throw and now this! It's an absolute disgrace and if the linesman wasn't sure then the advantage is given to the attacker!

Robbed!
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #711: Oct 29, 2012 11:28:11 pm
      Steven Gerrard describes Everton as big, physical long-ball merchants
      • 'There was only one team trying to play football,' says Gerrard
      • Liverpool captain criticises Everton's Phil Neville for diving

Andy Hunter

The Guardian, Monday 29 October 2012 22.30 GMT

Steven Gerrard has kept controversy simmering from the 219th Merseyside derby by labelling Everton a long-ball team similar to Stoke City and claiming Liverpool were the only side that tried to play football at Goodison Park.

Liverpool were incensed at being denied a legitimate stoppage-time winner in Sunday's 2-2 draw when Luis Suárez was incorrectly ruled offside as he converted a header from Sebastián Coates. "The Chosen One" argued Suárez was lucky to have been on the pitch at that stage, having escaped with a yellow card for a dangerous challenge on Sylvain Distin.

Gerrard was on his knees celebrating in front of Liverpool's supporters by the time Suárez's effort was disallowed by the referee, Andre Marriner, following a flag from his assistant Simon Bennett, and the Liverpool captain could not hide his frustration as he criticised the match officials and his Everton counterpart, Phil Neville, for a ridiculous dive. The England captain also reserved his anger for Moyes' tactics.

"There was only one team who came into the derby trying to play football," said Gerrard. "Everton are effective because they have some big physical lads in the team and are very direct. They are effective. But the only team who tried to play football was us.

"Everton are not better than us. I thought we stood up to a team that are very similar to Stoke. Every single time they got the ball to their goalkeeper it came in long. We had a young, small team and they were all men and stood together. We deserved the win."

Gerrard's comments echo the post-match claims of the manager, Brendan Rodgers, who reverted to a 3‑5‑2 formation in the second half to combat Everton's aerial threat and to play on the counter-attack. Moyes' team dominated after conceding two early goals, though an injury to Kevin Mirallas reduced their threat and Liverpool almost capitalised in a nervous finale, and the match statistics do not support Gerrard's assessment. Everton enjoyed more possession than Liverpool (56.2% to 43.8%), made more passes (400 to 314), had greater passing accuracy (78.5% to 76.8%) and played proportionally fewer long passes (13.8% to 14.6%).

There was, however, no argument over the legitimacy of Suárez's late effort. Gerrard added: "There is no offside and it's difficult for me to explain it. The only person who can explain it is the linesman. I asked him after the game if it was offside and he said: 'I think so.' That's not good enough. If every decision in this league is based on 'we think so', then we're in trouble. The linesman got it badly wrong. The benefit of the doubt is supposed to go to the attacking player anyway. And for their second goal it's a clear throw-in to us. The linesman gives us the throw but the referee saw something different. I feel sorry for our lads because I thought we were fantastic and deserved to win."

The Liverpool captain claimed Neville had "badly let his manager down" by diving after Moyes had condemned Suárez for theatrics in the pre-match build-up. He said: "With what he said about Luis Suárez before, "The Chosen One" was trying to get in the referee's head, which is fine, that's all part of the game, stuff like that, but you don't expect your captain to dive like that."

Gerrard did reserve praise for Raheem Sterling, Liverpool's 17-year-old winger, who overcame a difficult start to impress on his Merseyside derby debut. The Liverpool captain added: "Sterling has been a revelation for us. To be 17 years of age away in a derby, in a cauldron of an atmosphere against a big, physical long-ball team, I thought he was outstanding. I don't think the Everton players would have known too much about Raheem Sterling before Sunday. But I think they are going to be seeing an awful lot of him in the future. He is going to be playing in many, many Merseyside derbies. He is going to have a major impact in them.

"He is going to be one of the top players in the league, there's no doubt about it. The way he stands up for himself, wants the ball and doesn't hide. It's a credit to himself. He has some bottle. That's what you look for in young lads. You wonder whether they have the bottle to play away against tough teams in tough situations and he handled it superbly."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/oct/29/liverpool-steven-gerrard-everton-physical?CMP=twt_gu
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      Reply #712: Oct 30, 2012 01:11:16 pm
      Steven Gerrard describes Everton as big, physical long-ball merchants
      • 'There was only one team trying to play football,' says Gerrard
      • Liverpool captain criticises Everton's Phil Neville for diving

Andy Hunter

The Guardian, Monday 29 October 2012 22.30 GMT

Steven Gerrard has kept controversy simmering from the 219th Merseyside derby by labelling Everton a long-ball team similar to Stoke City and claiming Liverpool were the only side that tried to play football at Goodison Park.

Liverpool were incensed at being denied a legitimate stoppage-time winner in Sunday's 2-2 draw when Luis Suárez was incorrectly ruled offside as he converted a header from Sebastián Coates. "The Chosen One" argued Suárez was lucky to have been on the pitch at that stage, having escaped with a yellow card for a dangerous challenge on Sylvain Distin.

Gerrard was on his knees celebrating in front of Liverpool's supporters by the time Suárez's effort was disallowed by the referee, Andre Marriner, following a flag from his assistant Simon Bennett, and the Liverpool captain could not hide his frustration as he criticised the match officials and his Everton counterpart, Phil Neville, for a ridiculous dive. The England captain also reserved his anger for Moyes' tactics.

"There was only one team who came into the derby trying to play football," said Gerrard. "Everton are effective because they have some big physical lads in the team and are very direct. They are effective. But the only team who tried to play football was us.

"Everton are not better than us. I thought we stood up to a team that are very similar to Stoke. Every single time they got the ball to their goalkeeper it came in long. We had a young, small team and they were all men and stood together. We deserved the win."

Gerrard's comments echo the post-match claims of the manager, Brendan Rodgers, who reverted to a 3‑5‑2 formation in the second half to combat Everton's aerial threat and to play on the counter-attack. Moyes' team dominated after conceding two early goals, though an injury to Kevin Mirallas reduced their threat and Liverpool almost capitalised in a nervous finale, and the match statistics do not support Gerrard's assessment. Everton enjoyed more possession than Liverpool (56.2% to 43.8%), made more passes (400 to 314), had greater passing accuracy (78.5% to 76.8%) and played proportionally fewer long passes (13.8% to 14.6%).

There was, however, no argument over the legitimacy of Suárez's late effort. Gerrard added: "There is no offside and it's difficult for me to explain it. The only person who can explain it is the linesman. I asked him after the game if it was offside and he said: 'I think so.' That's not good enough. If every decision in this league is based on 'we think so', then we're in trouble. The linesman got it badly wrong. The benefit of the doubt is supposed to go to the attacking player anyway. And for their second goal it's a clear throw-in to us. The linesman gives us the throw but the referee saw something different. I feel sorry for our lads because I thought we were fantastic and deserved to win."

The Liverpool captain claimed Neville had "badly let his manager down" by diving after Moyes had condemned Suárez for theatrics in the pre-match build-up. He said: "With what he said about Luis Suárez before, "The Chosen One" was trying to get in the referee's head, which is fine, that's all part of the game, stuff like that, but you don't expect your captain to dive like that."

Gerrard did reserve praise for Raheem Sterling, Liverpool's 17-year-old winger, who overcame a difficult start to impress on his Merseyside derby debut. The Liverpool captain added: "Sterling has been a revelation for us. To be 17 years of age away in a derby, in a cauldron of an atmosphere against a big, physical long-ball team, I thought he was outstanding. I don't think the Everton players would have known too much about Raheem Sterling before Sunday. But I think they are going to be seeing an awful lot of him in the future. He is going to be playing in many, many Merseyside derbies. He is going to have a major impact in them.

"He is going to be one of the top players in the league, there's no doubt about it. The way he stands up for himself, wants the ball and doesn't hide. It's a credit to himself. He has some bottle. That's what you look for in young lads. You wonder whether they have the bottle to play away against tough teams in tough situations and he handled it superbly."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/oct/29/liverpool-steven-gerrard-everton-physical?CMP=twt_gu

Ha haa quality. Loves having a pop at the sh*te does Stevie.

Quick Reply