Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Your LFC MotM?

Suarez
      (75.2%)
      Allen
      (4.5%)
      Gerrard
      (1.3%)
      Skrtel
      (17.2%)
      Agger
      (1.3%)
      Enrique
      (0.6%)

Everton 2-2 Liverpool: In-game discussion & post-match "WTF?!"

Read 43565 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Re: Everton 2-2 Liverpool: In-game discussion & post-match "WTF?!"
      Reply #713: Oct 30, 2012 01:33:59 pm
      Ha haa quality. Loves having a pop at the sh*te does Stevie.

I can think of ten derbies in the last decade where this point would have been more pertinent.

Nice to see the lad stand up and show some bollocks, but I wish he'd done it earlier in his career.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #714: Oct 30, 2012 01:35:48 pm
      we did play like a team of men that any red would have been so proud of. I am still so proud of Joe Allen he was a monster.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #715: Oct 30, 2012 01:36:59 pm
      Glad Stevie described them as Stoke. All F***ing season they have lumped it in the box yet pundits tell us of this great football Everton are playing. Are they F**k, they are playing lump it long to Fellaini football. No surprise they didn't win a game whilst he was injured.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #716: Oct 30, 2012 02:04:11 pm
      Glad Stevie gave them a bit of stick as I'm getting fed up listening and reading how great Everton are at the minute.

Lawrenson was on the other day saying that on paper they have much better players than us and are the better side this season.

Total bollocks and as much s***e as he talks this really took it to a new level for him.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #717: Oct 30, 2012 02:33:55 pm
      Well I think at the moment they will get better results than us and there is certainly a decent amount of their players I would take

Baines
      Jagelka
      Mirrailis
      Jelavic
      Fellatio

Just to name a few.

It wouldn't surprise me if they finished higher that us again this season.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #718: Oct 30, 2012 02:51:58 pm
      Well I think at the moment they will get better results than us and there is certainly a decent amount of their players I would take

Baines
      Jagelka
      Mirrailis
      Jelavic
      Fellatio

Just to name a few.

Baines and Jelavic yes, Jagielka maybe but his distribution of the ball is none existent whilst the others still have the jury out on them IMO.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #719: Oct 30, 2012 03:18:34 pm

Baines
      Jagelka
      Mirrailis
      Jelavic
      Fellatio

Just to name a few.

As WAHS said above I'd only say that Baines and Jelavic are any better than any of our senior players and if I put our strongest team beside theirs Baines is the only one who would get a sniff of getting in our team if I was picking it.

We are stronger in every position on the pitch as far as I'm concerned and will finish above them this season.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #720: Oct 30, 2012 03:25:43 pm
      As WAHS said above I'd only say that Baines and Jelavic are any better than any of our senior players and if I put our strongest team beside theirs Baines is the only one who would get a sniff of getting in our team if I was picking it.

We are stronger in every position on the pitch as far as I'm concerned and will finish above them this season.

I wouldn't be so sure - they will physically dominate teams and will score goals - they are also very solid at the back.

They may not be pretty to look at but they get results and they get the job done. They rely on Felliani a bit and if he is injured they lose a fair bit but Jelavic will always get you goals whilst both Penis and Mirrialis will provide the threat in wide areas.

They are better equipped at the moment to get results than us. And currently they show that.

On Sunday after our second goal they dominated the game and BR changed things to stop them . If they had snuck a win then it wouldn't have a been an unjust win.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #721: Oct 30, 2012 03:36:52 pm

Actually mate I forgot about Fellaini, boss player and for me was MoM on Sunday. Can be a very influencial beast of a player if used correctly.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #722: Oct 30, 2012 03:41:51 pm
      Actually mate I forgot about Fellaini, boss player and for me was MoM on Sunday. Can be a very influencial beast of a player if used correctly.

Fellaini is a good player mate but I wouldn't pick him over any of our lads.

Reina

Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique

Lucas

Allen Sahin/Shelvey

Gerrard Suarez Sterling

If you take that as possibly our strongest 11 I only see Baines getting into that side.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #723: Oct 30, 2012 03:46:30 pm
      For me it would be

Pepe

Johnson
      Skittles
      Agger
      Baines

Lucas
      Allen
      Fellaini

Suarez
      Jelavic
      Mirallis

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #724: Oct 31, 2012 12:11:10 am
      Hey ! Just a thought on the lino's long long looooong delay before he put his flag up .... Was he possibly waiting for an instruction through his ear piece before making a decision ? HMMMM...
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #725: Oct 31, 2012 12:22:20 am
      Hey ! Just a thought on the lino's long long looooong delay before he put his flag up .... Was he possibly waiting for an instruction through his ear piece before making a decision ? HMMMM...

By someone, back and to the left, on a grassy knoll?
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #726: Oct 31, 2012 09:41:17 am
      By the way who are the Blues playing in the Capital cup. Forgot that they are already out of the competition!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #727: Oct 31, 2012 11:28:15 am
      Steven Gerrard describes Everton as big, physical long-ball merchants
      • 'There was only one team trying to play football,' says Gerrard
      • Liverpool captain criticises Everton's Phil Neville for diving

Andy Hunter

The Guardian, Monday 29 October 2012 22.30 GMT

Steven Gerrard has kept controversy simmering from the 219th Merseyside derby by labelling Everton a long-ball team similar to Stoke City and claiming Liverpool were the only side that tried to play football at Goodison Park.

Liverpool were incensed at being denied a legitimate stoppage-time winner in Sunday's 2-2 draw when Luis SuĂĄrez was incorrectly ruled offside as he converted a header from SebastiĂĄn Coates. "The Chosen One" argued SuĂĄrez was lucky to have been on the pitch at that stage, having escaped with a yellow card for a dangerous challenge on Sylvain Distin.

Gerrard was on his knees celebrating in front of Liverpool's supporters by the time SuĂĄrez's effort was disallowed by the referee, Andre Marriner, following a flag from his assistant Simon Bennett, and the Liverpool captain could not hide his frustration as he criticised the match officials and his Everton counterpart, Phil Neville, for a ridiculous dive. The England captain also reserved his anger for Moyes' tactics.

"There was only one team who came into the derby trying to play football," said Gerrard. "Everton are effective because they have some big physical lads in the team and are very direct. They are effective. But the only team who tried to play football was us.

"Everton are not better than us. I thought we stood up to a team that are very similar to Stoke. Every single time they got the ball to their goalkeeper it came in long. We had a young, small team and they were all men and stood together. We deserved the win."

Gerrard's comments echo the post-match claims of the manager, Brendan Rodgers, who reverted to a 3‑5‑2 formation in the second half to combat Everton's aerial threat and to play on the counter-attack. Moyes' team dominated after conceding two early goals, though an injury to Kevin Mirallas reduced their threat and Liverpool almost capitalised in a nervous finale, and the match statistics do not support Gerrard's assessment. Everton enjoyed more possession than Liverpool (56.2% to 43.8%), made more passes (400 to 314), had greater passing accuracy (78.5% to 76.8%) and played proportionally fewer long passes (13.8% to 14.6%).

There was, however, no argument over the legitimacy of SuĂĄrez's late effort. Gerrard added: "There is no offside and it's difficult for me to explain it. The only person who can explain it is the linesman. I asked him after the game if it was offside and he said: 'I think so.' That's not good enough. If every decision in this league is based on 'we think so', then we're in trouble. The linesman got it badly wrong. The benefit of the doubt is supposed to go to the attacking player anyway. And for their second goal it's a clear throw-in to us. The linesman gives us the throw but the referee saw something different. I feel sorry for our lads because I thought we were fantastic and deserved to win."

The Liverpool captain claimed Neville had "badly let his manager down" by diving after Moyes had condemned SuĂĄrez for theatrics in the pre-match build-up. He said: "With what he said about Luis SuĂĄrez before, "The Chosen One" was trying to get in the referee's head, which is fine, that's all part of the game, stuff like that, but you don't expect your captain to dive like that."

Gerrard did reserve praise for Raheem Sterling, Liverpool's 17-year-old winger, who overcame a difficult start to impress on his Merseyside derby debut. The Liverpool captain added: "Sterling has been a revelation for us. To be 17 years of age away in a derby, in a cauldron of an atmosphere against a big, physical long-ball team, I thought he was outstanding. I don't think the Everton players would have known too much about Raheem Sterling before Sunday. But I think they are going to be seeing an awful lot of him in the future. He is going to be playing in many, many Merseyside derbies. He is going to have a major impact in them.

"He is going to be one of the top players in the league, there's no doubt about it. The way he stands up for himself, wants the ball and doesn't hide. It's a credit to himself. He has some bottle. That's what you look for in young lads. You wonder whether they have the bottle to play away against tough teams in tough situations and he handled it superbly."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/oct/29/liverpool-steven-gerrard-everton-physical?CMP=twt_gu

Backtracking now!

Liverpool FC skipper Steven Gerrard admits he went too far with Everton FC derby comments

LIVERPOOL FC skipper Steven Gerrard says he went “too far” with his comments about Everton's style following Sunday’s controversial Merseyside derby.

The Reds midfielder, who described the Blues as a “long ball team” who are “very similar to Stoke”, admits emotions were running high after seeing Luis Suarez’s last-gasp strike wrongly disallowed for offside.

“Just to clarify I’ve watched the game again, and I’ve seen some of Everton’s matches this season, and what I said in relation to their style of play went too far,” Gerrard told the ECHO.

“I was frustrated by the disallowed goal from Luis when I spoke and also some of the things that have been said about Luis in recent weeks which haven’t been fair in my opinion.

“As captain I have a duty to stand up for our players when I feel they are unfairly singled out.

“But it wasn’t my intention to disrespect Everton or Stoke for that matter and I certainly didn’t intend any disrespect to their manager or players.

“I have the utmost respect for "The Chosen One" and Tony Pulis and the job they have done at their respective clubs.

“My main issue was with the goal that wasn’t given and that Liverpool did not get the three points I felt we deserved in what was a fantastic derby match.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/10/31/liverpool-fc-skipper-steven-gerrard-admits-he-went-too-far-with-everton-fc-derby-comments-100252-32133655/
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #728: Oct 31, 2012 11:33:14 am
      A great man once said -  "There's no such thing as the long ball or the short ball, only the right ball."

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #729: Oct 31, 2012 11:36:35 am
      A great man once said -  "There's no such thing as the long ball or the short ball, only the right ball."

Bet that wasn't Bobby Gould or Tony Pulis!!
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #730: Oct 31, 2012 11:38:12 am
      Bet that wasn't Bobby Gould or Tony Pulis!!

You are right HR - it wasn't
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #731: Oct 31, 2012 11:39:49 am

That wasn't a question, it was sarcasm, I know exactly who made that quote!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #732: Oct 31, 2012 11:51:40 am
      You're Potty! Jagielka fires back at Gerrard's 'long-ball Everton' dig

"At least we don't pass around for half an hour for the sake of it" quips Toffees ace after Liverpool captain says their tactics are like Stoke's

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/everton-phil-jagielka-hits-back-1408712

:D
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #733: Oct 31, 2012 11:51:58 am
      While I'll always respect someone else's opinion i almost fell off my chair when I saw that. I really must be missing something with Fellaini
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #734: Oct 31, 2012 12:29:22 pm
      Perhaps the headlines should have been  12  Man Everton hold out for a draw in derby after the linesman disallowing a perfect goal   

Quick Reply