Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Steven Gerrard 600 not out

Read 3552 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Nov 04, 2012 03:59:54 pm
      Our Captain and my all time favourite Liverpool player Steven Gerrard makes his 600th appearance for Liverpool today.

He may not have the influence that he used to but without doubt has a role to play at the club and will do for sometime yet.

Keep them coming Stevie lad and well done!

Steven Gerrard is Reds’ greatest ever player, says Jamie Carragher
      JAMIE CARRAGHER has hailed Steven Gerrard as the greatest player in Liverpool’s history.

The Reds skipper will make his 600th appearance for the club in tomorrow’s Premier League clash with Newcastle United at Anfield.

Carragher, who is second on Liverpool’s all-time list having played 710 matches, believes the contribution of his close friend over the past 14 years means he deserves to be ranked in a class of his own.

“Steven is a special player at a special club,” said Carragher.

“This club has had lot of special players but for me he’s No 1. We’re talking about an iconic figure.

“People talk about Kenny Dalglish and Billy Liddell, then there’s (Graeme) Souness, (John) Barnes and (Ian) Rush.

“Kenny obviously won a lot more but Steven’s not been fortunate enough to play in what you would call an absolutely great Liverpool side. For me that adds to what he’s done.

“I just think for his performances in those two cup finals (the 2005 Champions League final and 2006 FA Cup final) – he’s taken it to another level.

“Football is a team game and everyone plays their part, but every team has a standout player and he’s been that for us. He’s done it on the big stage. You are never going to get another Steven Gerrard.

“I think sometimes as a local player you get appreciated more when you’ve gone.

“The stories about what Steven did in the big games will be passed down from fathers to sons. The Steven Gerrard stories will get talked about for the next 30, 40, 50 years.”

Carragher believes Gerrard’s application as well as his talent has enabled him to remain at the top of his profession for so long.

“He has always wanted to improve,” said Carragher.

“He was in the England team at 20, 21 but he’s been getting better all the time. He has kept moving forward.

“That comes from professionalism as well as ability. He’s come back from injuries, proved people wrong and shown that he’s still got it.

“He’s captain of his country and has won everything at Liverpool apart from the league title.

“He’s very dynamic and I’ve never seen a more complete player. That’s been a great help to him but also at times it’s been a hindrance because he’s had to play in different positions for Liverpool and England.

“He could have played for England for 10 years at right-back.

“The only place I’ve not seen him play is centre-back, thank God, otherwise I may have spent more time sitting on the bench!

“He’s been a great captain for Liverpool and very successful. He leads by example.

“Players look up to him and are in awe of him at times because he’s such a good player. He doesn’t need to say too much, he gets automatic respect because of his quality.”

Gerrard will become the 10th Liverpool player to reach 600 appearances. He’s under contract until the end of next season but Carragher expects him to play beyond that and knock the centre-back off second spot in the club’s all-time list.

Carragher said: “It depends when we both finish playing.

“Look at the Swansea game this week, he’s still getting brought on to rescue games for us. That’s been the way for 13 or 14 years now.

“When that changes, maybe he’ll look at it, but he’s still expected to produce the Superman act at 32, so I think we’re still a while away from that changing.

“When Stevie gets to my position – and I don’t know if he’ll want to be in the position I’ve been in for the last six to 12 months because I’ve been on the bench a lot – he will still always come on.

“I would imagine he’ll play more games than me and he’s been a better player than me for Liverpool so he thoroughly deserves that.”

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/11/03/liverpool-fc-steven-gerrard-is-reds-greatest-ever-player-says-jamie-carragher-100252-32156826/#ixzz2BGnLzXE5

Steven Gerrard - The Legend - Tribute
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Re: Steven Gerrard 600 not out
      Reply #1: Nov 04, 2012 04:38:07 pm
      Congrats Steven!!!!!!  One of Liverpool's greatest ever! :aaliverpoolwz0:
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2: Nov 04, 2012 06:32:10 pm
      Well in Skipper.

Your loyalty to Liverpool Football Club  means we will always hold you in the highest regard as our local hero.

When you have GrandChildren you will look back at your club career with pride.

Immense Stevie.

Immense.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #3: Nov 04, 2012 08:05:53 pm
      Well in Skipper.

Your loyalty to Liverpool Football Club  means we will always hold you in the highest regard as our local hero.

When you have GrandChildren you will look back at your club career with pride.

Immense Stevie.

Immense.

Say's it all really, a quality player playing for a quality club for his entire career that truly is LOYALTY !
      Well done Stevie Gerrard.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #4: Nov 04, 2012 08:22:50 pm
      Great achievement, been an absolute monster for us for so many years now and has pulled us out of the fire on god knows how many occasions. We'll be lucky to see another all-action midfielder like him again, put him anywhere on the pitch and he'll still be the best player, he's that good. Congrats Stevie.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Nov 04, 2012 08:34:28 pm
      Well in Mr Liverpool, fantastic achievement for a fantastic player.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #6: Nov 04, 2012 09:04:39 pm
      The other legends the likes of Kenny played in more or less the same position throughout their Liverpool careers.
      Stevie has played fullback,defensive midfield,central midfield ,wide right ,and second striker and now again he is playing deeper.How many other players of his calibre have played in so many differenent postions the man is a genius.
      bladebla
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #7: Nov 04, 2012 09:54:48 pm
      Generally speaking LFC supporters & "Fans" are so desperate to have anyone or thing to hold up as "Legendary" in order to compete with the glorious past that we have had average players who should never have been signed ,like Dirk Kuyt being held up as a "Legend" when the truth is he couldn't handle the pressure of playing CF for LFC so he reverted to running around like a headless chicken & convinced less knowledgeable "Fans" that he wasn't hiding his glaring lack of quality behind his work rate .

Personally it irks me when Fowler , Owen & Mc Manaman are held up as legends .

All were fantastic players in their own right but none of them delivered on the highest stage when we needed them most .

Individually they were all among the very best of their generation but give me a choice of Barnes V Mc Manaman & I'll have Barnes.

Give me a choice between Rush & Fowler & I'll have Rush .

Give me a choice between Aldo & Owen & I'll have Aldo .

Why ?

Because Im stuck in the past ?

No .

I choose those players because beyond a shadow of a doubt they proved themselves to be the very best of their generations , the very best available to LFC & the very best players at delivering  the top 2 prizes available to us .

They wanted for nothing & never once let us down .

They all showed up in pressure games & if we lost those games it wasnt because someone played badly or because a "Star Player" wasnt available for selection , we lost because the other team were the better team on the day & that didnt happen often !

As for Gerrard ?

Is he the best of his generation ?

Without a doubt & for me he is the very best CM I have seen since Souness used to terrify & command his team mates & opponents alike .

Is Gerrard better than Souness ?

Its a big ask seeing as Souness demanded & won a hell of a lot more important trophies a hell of a lot more often than Gerrard .

No player is bigger than the club & in that regard I'd have to say Souness is head n shoulders above him .

However ,

The biggest compliment I can give Gerrard is that he is capable of competing genuinely for a place in any legendary LFC squad from any glorious period & as such has to be considered well capable of being as good as if not better than any of the established trophy laden midfielders who went before him .

As it stands tho he is looking up at them & them down on him because of the League title count .

Gerrard at his best was a one man army & apart from Bryan Robson I cant remember a player with the ability to consistently turn a game from CM like Gerrard had/has .

Robson would lead by example but also curse , threaten & demand an improvement from his team mates where as Gerrard just leads by example .

Where Gerrard stands out tho is his ability in the final 3'rd under the highest pressure from the highest calibre opponents in the highest pressure situations on the most prestigious occasions .

In that he is probably one of the best to ever play in Britain let alone for LFC but in the same breath Robbie Fowlers finishing was absolutely out of this world but it never delivered a league title .

Its simply not the Liverpool Way to have one single outstanding player , it simply does not work for LFC .

Gerrards a great player & if he could only bark more orders he would probably be considered one of Englands best ever but as it stands he is undoubtedly a club legend & deservedly so , what he done in '05 & '06 was nothing short of amazing & not just in both finals , he practically single handedly won every knock out game in the Champions League in 05 .

Gerrard is capable of challenging any of the greats of the past but until he picks up at least 1 single league medal he will always fall short as being LFC's greatest Midfielder to the unholy terror that was Souness .
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #8: Nov 05, 2012 12:18:55 am
      The other legends the likes of Kenny played in more or less the same position throughout their Liverpool careers.
      Stevie has played fullback,defensive midfield,central midfield ,wide right ,and second striker and now again he is playing deeper.How many other players of his calibre have played in so many differenent postions the man is a genius.

Excellent point walton.

Stevie has always been my footballing hero. I said in the player thread, but I've never before seen a single person boost an entire club and stadium the way he does when he steps on the pitch. Although lately we've been criticizing him more often than praising him, I think we also forget just how truly special a player he is. I feel honored and blessed to have watched him play football.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #9: Nov 05, 2012 03:14:54 am
      Well in Stevie the best reds player I have seen in my time.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #10: Nov 05, 2012 03:54:44 am
      For me Stevie is THE greatest player to have ever played for Liverpool. Have never seen Kenny live, so can't really compare. But Gerrard is just everything I love about football
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #11: Nov 05, 2012 06:40:58 am
      Greatest liverpool player i have seen. Shame he don't have PL title. Really hoping him to stick around like giggs to win a PL which i hope BR will deliver.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,223 posts | 2804 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #12: Nov 05, 2012 01:16:25 pm
      Will only truley be appreciated when no longer playing

LEGEND

Well in Stevie. Dont retire until ye have that 1 medal you so richly deserve
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #13: Nov 05, 2012 01:20:58 pm
      Generally speaking LFC supporters & "Fans" are so desperate to have anyone or thing to hold up as "Legendary" in order to compete with the glorious past that we have had average players who should never have been signed ,like Dirk Kuyt being held up as a "Legend" when the truth is he couldn't handle the pressure of playing CF for LFC so he reverted to running around like a headless chicken & convinced less knowledgeable "Fans" that he wasn't hiding his glaring lack of quality behind his work rate .

Personally it irks me when Fowler , Owen & Mc Manaman are held up as legends .

All were fantastic players in their own right but none of them delivered on the highest stage when we needed them most .

Individually they were all among the very best of their generation but give me a choice of Barnes V Mc Manaman & I'll have Barnes.

Give me a choice between Rush & Fowler & I'll have Rush .

Give me a choice between Aldo & Owen & I'll have Aldo .

Why ?

Because Im stuck in the past ?

No .

I choose those players because beyond a shadow of a doubt they proved themselves to be the very best of their generations , the very best available to LFC & the very best players at delivering  the top 2 prizes available to us .

They wanted for nothing & never once let us down .

They all showed up in pressure games & if we lost those games it wasnt because someone played badly or because a "Star Player" wasnt available for selection , we lost because the other team were the better team on the day & that didnt happen often !

As for Gerrard ?

Is he the best of his generation ?

Without a doubt & for me he is the very best CM I have seen since Souness used to terrify & command his team mates & opponents alike .

Is Gerrard better than Souness ?

Its a big ask seeing as Souness demanded & won a hell of a lot more important trophies a hell of a lot more often than Gerrard .

No player is bigger than the club & in that regard I'd have to say Souness is head n shoulders above him .

However ,

The biggest compliment I can give Gerrard is that he is capable of competing genuinely for a place in any legendary LFC squad from any glorious period & as such has to be considered well capable of being as good as if not better than any of the established trophy laden midfielders who went before him .

As it stands tho he is looking up at them & them down on him because of the League title count .

Gerrard at his best was a one man army & apart from Bryan Robson I cant remember a player with the ability to consistently turn a game from CM like Gerrard had/has .

Robson would lead by example but also curse , threaten & demand an improvement from his team mates where as Gerrard just leads by example .

Where Gerrard stands out tho is his ability in the final 3'rd under the highest pressure from the highest calibre opponents in the highest pressure situations on the most prestigious occasions .

In that he is probably one of the best to ever play in Britain let alone for LFC but in the same breath Robbie Fowlers finishing was absolutely out of this world but it never delivered a league title .

Its simply not the Liverpool Way to have one single outstanding player , it simply does not work for LFC .

Gerrards a great player & if he could only bark more orders he would probably be considered one of Englands best ever but as it stands he is undoubtedly a club legend & deservedly so , what he done in '05 & '06 was nothing short of amazing & not just in both finals , he practically single handedly won every knock out game in the Champions League in 05 .

Gerrard is capable of challenging any of the greats of the past but until he picks up at least 1 single league medal he will always fall short as being LFC's greatest Midfielder to the unholy terror that was Souness .

Fell asleep half-way through that, what was the point you were making?

Well done to the Huyton lad for making it 600 appearances for the Reds.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #14: Nov 05, 2012 01:40:01 pm
      600 not out for the skipper long may his innings continue.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #15: Nov 05, 2012 01:50:43 pm
      Nice one Stevie your in the top ten and still climbing

Ian Callaghan 857
      Jamie Carragher 709 not out
      Ray Clemence 665
      Emlyn Hughes 665
      Ian Rush 660
      Phil Neal 650
      Tommy Smith 638
      Bruce Grobbelaar 628
      Alan Hansen 620
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #16: Nov 05, 2012 02:33:03 pm
      Nice one Stevie your in the top ten and still climbing

Ian Callaghan 857
      Jamie Carragher 709 not out
      Ray Clemence 665
      Emlyn Hughes 665
      Ian Rush 660
      Phil Neal 650
      Tommy Smith 638
      Bruce Grobbelaar 628
      Alan Hansen 620
      the making of a good team.
      bladebla
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #17: Nov 05, 2012 04:05:22 pm
      Fell asleep half-way through that, what was the point you were making?

Well done to the Huyton lad for making it 600 appearances for the Reds.

Point I was making is that some people , havent got the mental toughness to last the distance in a Title winning season & cant be considered "Legends" until they prove otherwise .

They are soft lads , spice boys & are the reason we are in the clueless mess that we are in .

bladebla
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #18: Nov 05, 2012 04:07:07 pm
      Will only truley be appreciated when no longer playing

LEGEND

Well in Stevie. Dont retire until ye have that 1 medal you so richly deserve

Very true .

Theres a lot of people who wont realize what we have got until he is gone .

Gerrard is one of the very best to have ever played in Britain .

Quick Reply