Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Before we sack the manager, how will we be off in two seasons time?

Read 18586 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Before we sack the manager, how will we be off in two seasons time?
      Nov 01, 2012 03:22:16 pm
       Just struck me as I was reading the stalking horses foaming at their keyboards about previous managers that despite what it seems, we have potentially a golden era ahead of us. My mind casts back to the "you don't win anything with kids" Man Utd era where they had a load come through at the same time and I can see the similarities with us now.

Let's look at it, and for the purposes of my opening post I'm going to deal with things we can just about take as a given.

Raheem Sterling if we can keep hold of him is going to be a monster player before he is 20 years old. I agree with Steven Gerrard when he says that this lad will be one of the best players in the league, he will.

Suso is only going to get better and in a couple of years time will be a first team regular who both scores and creates goals. This lad is going to be a top player, he's shown enough to make that a near cert already.

Martin Kelly is already an England squad member and whether or not he ends up playing centre half or right back, he is going to play many many games for Liverpool. In two years time he will be a regular.

Andre Wisdom is going to be huge, physically and metaphorically. The suspicion again is that he might be a centre half (even more so than Kelly IMHO), but that he's going to be a really good player is beyond doubt.

Jonjo Shelvey continues to develop apace, and in two years time he will be one of the first names n the sheet.

Joe Allen is still a baby but is already a top player. He's going nowhere and will get better still.

Now there's six players who will be near certainties to be regulars in two years time barring career threatening injuries or them angling for a move. I haven't even mentioned the likes of Luis Suarez, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Fabio Borini, Jack Robinson, Jordan Henderson or even our captain. Things ain't anywhere near as bleak as some would have you believe, walk on.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Re: Before we sack the manager, how will we be off in two seasons time?
      Reply #1: Nov 01, 2012 03:27:18 pm
      The future is bright - add a few players to the squad in jan and over the summer and we could possibly have a very good squad on our hands with a very capable manager in charge. This season was going to be a lot of hard work with a fair number of bad times - it is needed to install a different mentality and structure. It's nowhere near perfect at the moment and still a lot of hard work to go but the signs are good.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2: Nov 01, 2012 03:40:52 pm
      Just struck me as I was reading the stalking horses foaming at their keyboards about previous managers that despite what it seems, we have potentially a golden era ahead of us. My mind casts back to the "you don't win anything with kids" Man Utd era where they had a load come through at the same time and I can see the similarities with us now.

Let's look at it, and for the purposes of my opening post I'm going to deal with things we can just about take as a given.

Raheem Sterling if we can keep hold of him is going to be a monster player before he is 20 years old. I agree with Steven Gerrard when he says that this lad will be one of the best players in the league, he will.

Suso is only going to get better and in a couple of years time will be a first team regular who both scores and creates goals. This lad is going to be a top player, he's shown enough to make that a near cert already.

Martin Kelly is already an England squad member and whether or not he ends up playing centre half or right back, he is going to play many many games for Liverpool. In two years time he will be a regular.

Andre Wisdom is going to be huge, physically and metaphorically. The suspicion again is that he might be a centre half (even more so than Kelly IMHO), but that he's going to be a really good player is beyond doubt.

Jonjo Shelvey continues to develop apace, and in two years time he will be one of the first names n the sheet.

Joe Allen is still a baby but is already a top player. He's going nowhere and will get better still.

Now there's six players who will be near certainties to be regulars in two years time barring career threatening injuries or them angling for a move. I haven't even mentioned the likes of Luis Suarez, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Fabio Borini, Jack Robinson, Jordan Henderson or even our captain. Things ain't anywhere near as bleak as some would have you believe, walk on.

A positive post on lfcreds........ obviously the mention of Rafa has got you in panic mode Mick :)

Seriously a very good post, and if we bring in some quality players to fill the gaps things may not be as black as they seem today. Always darkest before the dawn etc etc
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #3: Nov 01, 2012 03:41:40 pm
      The problem is not the future because we have a golden generation ahead of us,what the Boss needs now is backing for our present,quality additions to complement the youth and we are set,just imagine we have a couple of players like Suarez, a roaming Gerrard,its now the right time for quality to be added becaus the Boss has shown what he can do with the players at his disposal,just image what he can do with quality additions.

League Champions?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #4: Nov 01, 2012 03:55:11 pm
      I think to be honest this is my greatest worry right now...

Will the owners give Brendan time?

We have been in flux over the last 4 years and we need stability, Rafa went, Roy went, Kenny went... i want and ask for Brendan to be given time by FSG, he needs time, this season could on paper end up worse than last season as we are in a period of change, yes it will be frustrating and people may say things they dont really mean after results but we need to stick together and my main worry is will the owners stick by their man? He is the third manager of their ownership, we will never move forward by sacking managers and whatever happens over the next 3 seasons Brendan needs to be in charge, if by then we are still languising around 8th then maybe he needs to move on but during that period he needs to be given the time by all to try to turn us around and time to develop this group of cracking youngsters we have on our books..
      But he needs to be allowed to bring in a few more, we are probably 5-6 short in the squad, that could cost anywhere between 20 with great scouting and 70 million, but whatever the manager feels he needs he should be backed by.. No half measures, no..well we will give him time, but he needs to do it with these players as it wont happen, we are desperately short of depth and experience, these kids could do with playing around 30 games all comps this season, not 50-60..

I hope the owners have the bottle to let Brendan see this through, removing him and starting again will set us back another season as removing Kenny did last summer.. Okay if that was their wisdom then better to do it sooner rather than later i guess and not half back a manager they dont want, but hell back one you do... Stick with the manager, back him, add to these kids with the right players and yes we could be back up there but the next two transfer windows are key, we need a couple of players this January and 4-6 in the summer.

The future is bright but we need to stick together and FSG need to trust their instincts and back the manager, in time and transfers..

This season will be tough, many hard days like yesterday i fear, but at the end of a storm................... .................
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #5: Nov 01, 2012 03:57:17 pm
      They have to give him time PD -

Your post is spot on.

I think you miss something though - the fans - they also have to give him and the club time now.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #6: Nov 01, 2012 03:58:43 pm
      Rodgers should be given time but he won't be.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #7: Nov 01, 2012 04:00:31 pm
      They have to give him time PD -

Your post is spot on.

I think you miss something though - the fans - they also have to give him and the club time now.

I think as a whole we will, people say things on emotion after a poor performance, but we are loyal, we back our managers and well we may not agree with the things the owners do at times but beyond frustation and asking questions they will be backed as well.. But they need to show us in January that we are right to do so.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #8: Nov 01, 2012 04:02:07 pm

I really can't see him being sacked, bar relegation, anytime in the next two or three seasons.

Unless FSG sell up and new owners remove him.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #9: Nov 01, 2012 04:04:36 pm
      I think as a whole we will, people say things on emotion after a poor performance, but we are loyal, we back our managers and well we may not agree with the things the owners do at times but beyond frustation and asking questions they will be backed as well.. But they need to show us in January that we are right to do so.

Totally agree

The owners have made a big statement during the summer replacing Kenny with BR.

They aren't stupid and I can't see him being fired at the end of the season ( unless we get relegated maybe ) . He will be given time we have to believe that. It's the owners man - they have rolled the dice.
      fhands123
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 350 posts | 11 
      Reply #10: Nov 01, 2012 04:08:53 pm

Whatever happens he'll certainly see out his three year contract
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #11: Nov 01, 2012 04:11:41 pm

Not as sure as you on that one mate. Brendan has only one point more than Roy did after 9 games, if he doesn't start picking up points soon I think there will be questions asked and I am not sure that FSG will stand by their man.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #12: Nov 01, 2012 04:13:49 pm
      Not as sure as you on that one mate. Brendan has only one point more than Roy did after 9 games, if he doesn't start picking up points soon I think there will be questions asked and I am not sure that FSG will stand by their man.

Why won't they stand by him ?

KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #13: Nov 01, 2012 04:18:18 pm
      The Roy parallel's aren't really applicable. In terms of points accumulated at this stage there is only a 1+ difference to BR but RH's problem's with the fanbase started almost immediately.

His quotes in the press lost him the little support he had after you took into consideration is style of football and results too.

BR has been pretty conscious of the need to get fans onside, unlike Roy, and will probably be afford a level of support befitting his effort made to convey his ideas and need for time.

FSG, who are often accused of being interested only in PR, would be making a massive PR disaster for themselves both with the fans, media and inside the game by sacking BR early.

They'll stand by him for at least two years.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #14: Nov 01, 2012 04:35:04 pm
      with BR we are finally moving forwards can't we just get behind a manager instead of being paranoid
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #15: Nov 01, 2012 04:35:51 pm
      The only way i see the Boss walking if the owners starve him of funds to build,other than that i can see his stay beyond his term.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #16: Nov 01, 2012 04:44:25 pm

After watching the "Being Liverpool " doc and seeing the house and car the owners gave him ....Noone in there right mind would walk away from the job
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #17: Nov 01, 2012 04:51:22 pm
      In two seasons time we will be challenging for top 4 providing we keep BR as manager and supply him with at least 25m every summer and whatever else we make from transfers. Firmly believe in him, it will take him time to sort out the mess (at least we won a trophy whilst being in a mess). Get rid, and get who? The vicious circle would start again.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #18: Nov 01, 2012 04:52:32 pm
      I think the real question to this link is "where would we be if Kenny and Clarke were still in charge?" ....
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #19: Nov 01, 2012 04:53:29 pm
      we keep BR as manager and supply him with at least 25m every summer

And what does that get you nowadays?
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #20: Nov 01, 2012 04:55:33 pm
      I think the real question to this link is "where would we be if Kenny and Clarke were still in charge?" ....

Yes that's the way to show the current manager our full backing

jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #21: Nov 01, 2012 04:56:08 pm

And what does that get you nowadays?

Not much in terms of star players, but its more than BR had in the summer. My point is that he needs funds, just not astronomical funds like Chelsea, Man City.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #22: Nov 01, 2012 04:58:30 pm
      Yes that's the way to show the current manager our full backing

would reply but im being watched

Quick Reply