Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Before we sack the manager, how will we be off in two seasons time?

Read 18625 times
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Before we sack the manager, how will we be off in two seasons time?
      Reply #115: Nov 02, 2012 10:35:40 pm
      City have shown serious ambitions off the field with there appointments. Would have loved to seen us show that ambition
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #116: Nov 03, 2012 12:58:00 am
      City have shown serious ambitions off the field with there appointments. Would have loved to seen us show that ambition

You have to remember that City are starting from a lower point than Liverpool, Man U or Real. They have no pre-existing brand to exploit, they're having to build it from scratch (makes you wonder why Mansour never bought LFC?) and their facilities where not as developed as ours so just to get to where we are on a global basis needs a huge investment to enjoy such rapid progression. You also need to bear in mind that FSG are owned by businessman, not an Oil rich playboy. They, along with 99.9% of the World's football clubs cannot match City's financial muscle. Arguably the only other team in the world that can is PSG. Man City are not a good club by which to measure the level of ambition our owners have for the club.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #117: Nov 03, 2012 01:14:22 am

Is right Corbally.

Like the man from Barca ... Txiki Begiristain   who we were talking about two years ago.

No. We are the "lets piss off home at 4pm on transfer day" club.

PS   AVB  4th.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #118: Nov 03, 2012 01:46:14 am
      Give Rodgers the time and support he needs. We are not going to win the league this season or next. We are not going to win the CL in the next 2 years. What we are going to do is build the team into a contender and after next season look at a top 4 finish. The EPL is the toughest league in the world, hands down. The EPL has more parity and competition than any other league. Anyone who is openly calling for Rodgers head is utterly unrealistic. Lets face facts and stop being biased and hypocritical. This team, overall compared to the the top clubs in Football, is not in good shape. Regardless of who is coaching in comes down to play and execution and the players we have are unable to compete w/ the likes of United, City, Real etc... It is what it is and to think otherwise is fantasy.

The owners bought this team for one purpose, to build it back up into a winning club. If you have any doubts of their commitment or willingness to spend money or win championships than just read what they did in Boston. They gave a team 2 World Championships in 3 years that had previously not won anything in 86 years.  If you want to destroy this club the easiest way to do it is bullshit, knee jerk decisions.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #119: Nov 03, 2012 08:47:15 am

Hodgson had a better record than BR yet everyone got on his back and he had gone by january so whats the differance!

Paul Konchesky and Christian Poulsen.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #120: Nov 03, 2012 09:19:55 am
      Don't forget the piss stained Y-Fronts, bouts of demensia (face rub) and werthers originals what a hit.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #121: Nov 03, 2012 09:48:35 am
      I was thinking about our position/results etc earlier in the week.  My first thoughts were how disappointing it has been - but then I thought about the age of the team.  Had we been were we are with Downing, Cole, Adam (not here obviously) and others from last year playing then things would not have been looking good.  But we have had a very young team - three teenagers playing their first Derby last week - and have for the most part played some decent football.  If this trend continues, with players given the chance and developing then the future is bright indeed.

BR has said that he likes players that are hungry and fighters, and his philosophy is based upon a team approach - this is a long term philosophy and not the quick fix splash the cash approach.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #122: Nov 03, 2012 11:00:52 am
      Club Site This Morning.
      Brendan Rodgers is confident Liverpool will be in a position to bolster their squad when the January transfer window opens.

The boss is in regular dialogue with the Reds owners and insists the club will have the funds required to strengthen the ranks.

Rodgers told a pre-Newcastle press conference:
      "We'll have funds.
      I'm in talks with the owners at the moment along with our recruitment team.
      We know we need to reinforce the group, so that's something that is ongoing.

Recruitment Team : Definition ........................ .    Ian 4PM Ayres.

Me thinks ....No money August .... Money in January  .....possible new Tax Year.
      Comolli knew all about January.

We could kick on  if we buy quality. There is no reason not to.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      Reply #123: Nov 03, 2012 11:06:21 am
      Club Site This Morning.
      Brendan Rodgers is confident Liverpool will be in a position to bolster their squad when the January transfer window opens.

The boss is in regular dialogue with the Reds owners and insists the club will have the funds required to strengthen the ranks.

"We'll have funds.

Me thinks ....No money August .... Money in January  .....possible new Tax Year.

Probably cost us a few million quid that comment.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #124: Nov 03, 2012 11:07:43 am
      Club Site This Morning.

"We'll have funds.

Let's hope there' some meat on the bones of this one Skip mate, thanks for posting .
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #125: Nov 03, 2012 11:52:49 am
      Hope it ain't just talk for once
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #126: Nov 03, 2012 11:59:46 am

I've been going into some threads with that attitude lately.  ;)
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #127: Nov 03, 2012 01:35:34 pm
      Club Site This Morning.

"We'll have funds.

So having worked on Clint Dempsey for weeks only to have it fall through at the last moment (why is not important for this point), Ayre should pick up the phone to someone else, ask if their striker is available and whip out his Debit card to pay for him? He's not ordering a Pizza. Player transfers take time, even if they conclude at the last minute, they will have been worked on for some time. The issue was never whether Ayre should or should not have stayed past 4 p.m., the issue was whether Ayre should have had additional targets to be working on past 4 p.m. That's the failing, not buggering off home too early for some fans tastes and that's a failing of Owners, CEO and Manager combined. People really need to stop looking for a scapegoat.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #128: Nov 03, 2012 01:41:36 pm
      So having worked on Clint Dempsey for weeks only to have it fall through at the last moment (why is not important for this point), Ayre should pick up the phone to someone else, ask if their striker is available and whip out his Debit card to pay for him? He's not ordering a Pizza. Player transfers take time, even if they conclude at the last minute, they will have been worked on for some time. The issue was never whether Ayre should or should not have stayed past 4 p.m., the issue was whether Ayre should have had additional targets to be working on past 4 p.m. That's the failing, not buggering off home too early for some fans tastes and that's a failing of Owners, CEO and Manager combined. People really need to stop looking for a scapegoat.

Sorry to pick out just one line from an excellent post, but scapegoating seems to be a national pastime these days. I notice it everywhere, and it really gets on my tits.

I have my doubts that Ayre is up to the job he is doing, but so far the blamegame has been played against the owners and Ayre, as if BR had no say and no hand in what was going on.

I think we can agree that it was an all round F**k up, and not just down to one person but was a combination of factors involving senior people at the club that we really need to learn from.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #129: Nov 03, 2012 01:45:31 pm
      No scapegoat mate.

Its the difference between Perception and Reality.

Perception:
      One the one hand Mr A shouldn't have been showing cruising past the Pier Head on his Harley and leaving at 4 cos there wasn't anything left to do

Reality:
      He wasn't given anything else to do.

Sorry to pick out just one line from an excellent post, but scapegoating seems to be a national pastime these days. I notice it everywhere, and it really gets on my tits.

I have my doubts that Ayre is up to the job he is doing, but so far the blamegame has been played against the owners and Ayre, as if BR had no say and no hand in what was going on.

I think we can agree that it was an all round f**k up, and not just down to one person but was a combination of factors involving senior people at the club that we really need to learn from.

Thats it.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,551 posts | 1545 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #130: Nov 03, 2012 02:04:31 pm
      That is not necessarily the case at all. Even Mansour has admitted that City's current financial model is unsustainable which is why they're investing so heavily in youth development. City's inflated spending has come from a desire for instant success to accelerate brand creation. In time that spending power will reduce to more sustainable and sensible levels and the league's spending power as a whole will settle down to a more even keel. The key to long term success is a mixture of youth development and shrewd business practices, especially in the transfer market and it's something our owners and our manager have shown so far. We do not have the financial muscle of City, Utd or Chelsea so we are incapable of instant success. Changing mangers just because we're not in a full on charge up the table challenging for honours isn't going to accomplish anything.

Brilliant post +1
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,551 posts | 1545 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #131: Nov 03, 2012 02:06:35 pm
      Paul Konchesky and Christian Poulsen.
      Made me grin that :D
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #132: Nov 03, 2012 04:18:54 pm
      Probably cost us a few million quid that comment.

Probably did WAHS, unfortunately BR has been put in a position where he needs to appease the supporters before they blow a cork; this is down to the transfer day fiasco and where we find ourselves halfway through the first half of the season.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      Reply #133: Nov 03, 2012 06:05:24 pm
      Probably did WAHS, unfortunately BR has been put in a position where he needs to appease the supporters before they blow a cork; this is down to the transfer day fiasco and where we find ourselves halfway through the first half of the season.

Fully agree AZ, it wasn't a pop at him but more a tongue in cheek comment.

BTW Might of been easier to write 'where we find ourselves a quarter of the way through the season'. ;)
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #134: Nov 03, 2012 08:05:39 pm
      Let's face facts, we have a threadbare squad and we're short on money. There are many reasons why we're in this situation but nonetheless, this is the situation we find ourselves in. The way to judge Brendan Rodgers is not to solely blame him for the situation we are in but rather to judge him on how he handles himself during this difficult time, and how he steers the club through this tricky time because that is what will be the true test of leadership.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #135: Nov 05, 2012 04:22:03 pm
      First off unless there is a complete collapse between now and May 2014 we will still have Brendan as Manager and I do believe that if he's still with us then, he will be with us for quite a long time.

So if the above pans out, it's all positive.

We will have bought well in the transfer windows during that time and we will have quality cover for each position.

Raheem, Suso, Jonjo, Flanagan, Robinson, Kelly, Wisdom, Morgan, Yesil, Coates and many more of our talented youngsters will or should be seasoned Premier League players, playing in their natural positions.

Assaidi, Borini, Pacheco, Henderson and Sahin (if still with us) will be more experienced and for the first two plus Sahin, will be up to speed with the Premier League. 

Lucas and Joe Allen will be coming into their prime for midfielders and have built an amazing understanding working together.

With the improvements to the squad and the continued development of those already mentioned, we will be challenging for honours on all fronts.  The likes of Reina, Agger, Skrtel, Suarez, Johnson will be wanting to extend their contracts again as we will be in touching distance of the holy grail, winning the title.

We will gladly have seen the back of Downing and Cole, with Doni, Jones and Wilson (yes he's still with us) moved on to make way for younger/better replacements.

The negatives?  I'm not going to go there as there is too much of that around at present and I want to remain optimistic  ;D

George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #136: Nov 05, 2012 04:27:23 pm
      First off unless there is a complete collapse between now and May 2014 we will still have Brendan as Manager and I do believe that if he's still with us then, he will be with us for quite a long time.

So if the above pans out, it's all positive.

We will have bought well in the transfer windows during that time and we will have quality cover for each position.

Raheem, Suso, Jonjo, Flanagan, Robinson, Kelly, Wisdom, Morgan, Yesil, Coates and many more of our talented youngsters will or should be seasoned Premier League players, playing in their natural positions.

Assaidi, Borini, Pacheco, Henderson and Sahin (if still with us) will be more experienced and for the first two plus Sahin, will be up to speed with the Premier League. 

Lucas and Joe Allen will be coming into their prime for midfielders and have built an amazing understanding working together.

With the improvements to the squad and the continued development of those already mentioned, we will be challenging for honours on all fronts.  The likes of Reina, Agger, Skrtel, Suarez, Johnson will be wanting to extend their contracts again as we will be in touching distance of the holy grail, winning the title.

We will gladly have seen the back of Downing and Cole, with Doni, Jones and Wilson (yes he's still with us) moved on to make way for younger/better replacements.

The negatives?  I'm not going to go there as there is too much of that around at present and I want to remain optimistic  ;D

+1 - great post
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #137: Nov 05, 2012 04:29:39 pm
      People will know my opinion on Rodger's if you've seen my posts in this and other threads.

But serious question, we are currently on course for 42 points. Ten points worse than last season.

If, for the sake of argument, we finish with less than fifty points would you consider his position in May?

Quick Reply