Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Liverpool 1-1 Newcastle: In-game & post-match collective sigh

Read 23763 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Newcastle: In-game & post-match collective sigh
      Reply #437: Nov 05, 2012 08:37:15 am
      Could have and Should have won the game #missed chances again?

Only won three of our last 15 PL matches at Anfield W3 D6 L6

23 efforts on goal   .... Newcastle 11.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #438: Nov 05, 2012 08:56:36 am
      Owen, officially bitter:

Stoke City striker Michael Owen described Fabricio Coloccini’s red card against Liverpool as a “laughable” decision.

The Newcastle defender was sent off late on for a clumsy challenge on Luis Suarez as the Premier League duo recorded a 1-1 draw at Anfield.

The Argentine’s dismissal altered the tide of the game, forcing Alan Pardew’s side to defend ferociously in the closing moments of the tie.

Former Geordie favourite Owen took to Twitter after the game to vent his frustration at the decision:

“Not having that at all. (Coloccini) didn’t touch him and to say there was intent is laughable.” the 32-year-old wrote on his personal account.

“Let me tell you, he kicks a moving ball a thousand times a day and doesn’t miss it once.

“If he wanted to connect with a standing leg then he wouldn’t have missed.

“He pulls out at the last minute and doesn’t touch him. Not having that’s a red at all.”

Pardew was also aggravated by his man’s dismissal, openly taking up the issue with referee Anthony Taylor and his fellow match-day officials following the final whistle.

Yohan Cabaye’s stunning strike, which came against the run of play, gave the North East club the advantage on the stroke of half-time.

Liverpool’s dominance eventually paid off in the second period as Suarez rounded Tim Krul to put the ball in an empty net.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #439: Nov 05, 2012 09:17:35 am
      All that hard work in the first half only to be floored by that sucker punch of a goal...admittedly he took it well but I think Pepe would have got a hand to it..
      The post match BR interview is full of hints to the owners to dig deep and give BR the money to buy a quality finisher to back Luis up, who for me is up there with the Messi's of this world..
      If it wasn't for the inexperience of Sterlings and Shelveys finishing we would be sitting a lot higher in the league which although is dissapointing it is re-assuring to know that they will get that finishing confidence so long as the chances are created.
      There's been a few moments this season especially yesterday when we really could've done with Dirk Kuyt or Bellamy to smash home those "handed on a plate" passes..
      Just gotta keep the faith and keep believing..
      bladebla
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #440: Nov 05, 2012 09:49:47 am
      If it was scored against us ?

I would have been furious that Suarez's goal was allowed to stand .

Seriously .

If you control the ball with any part of your arm then it is a hand ball & the shoulder is as much a part of the arm as the fingers or the hand itself are .

If he took it on his chest & finished the way he did then we are talking about a genuine world class finish but in reality we are looking at the result of what can only be described as at best very sloppy officiating .

Henry done something very similar against Ireland & got slaughtered for it but Suarez gets glorified for a more subtle version of it against Newcastle .

I suppose its true that bad decisions & bad luck  even themselves out over he course of a season because for me that is one we well n truly got away with & the less we say about it the better .
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #441: Nov 05, 2012 10:35:12 am
      64% possession.

36 attempted crosses, 2.8% of which were successful. What does that tell you?
      It tells me two things; i) we had only one 'successful' cross all day and...  ii) (although Brendan works "along the statistic that if you can dominate the game with the ball you have a 79% chance of winning")  Possession, in it's self, (and just like last season) doesn't guarantee a win.

We should not be crossing - at all.

I take your point Res (something I'd referenced in the Assaidi thread, I think) but the fact is the system is set up to play with two 'wide' men who should cut inside and leave space for the 'overlap'. Having accepted this we must realise that the rationale behind this [overlapping full-backs] tactic is for crosses to be made. As such; it must be something that Brendan actively 'encourages'.

The thing is tho'; we don't play with a big 'target man' (to feed off high crosses) so, tactically, our full-backs/wingers have to play 'it' low in the hope of finding smaller 'forwards' and midfielders arriving late.

Remembering too, of course that 'your' options are already restricted and it is inevitably harder to miss defenders out in a packed 18 yard box. Your percentage of "successful" crosses will naturally suffer.

Now whilst it may be successfully argued that, tactically, Brendan has got this part wrong; we've got to understand why, under this system, the ratio of "successful" crosses will never be consistently high.
      waz112003
      • Banned

• 70 posts |
      Reply #442: Nov 05, 2012 10:42:06 am
      Disappointed that we have dropped two points at Anfield. It was a great performance but once again, not enough bodies in the box. It was cracking strike from Yohan Cabaye at the kop end but we should have done better from the left back before Hatem Ben Arfa cross the ball. Luis Suarez goal was a pure world class finish but we should have won the game when Jonjo Shelvey had to tap it in but how he slipped in five yards i don't know?.. I thought we should have had a penalty in the first half when Fabio Coloccini bought Luis Suarez down when referee & the linesman can see it he was bought down.... 
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #443: Nov 05, 2012 10:42:55 am
      Disappointed that we have dropped two points at Anfield. It was a great performance but once again, not enough bodies in the box. It was cracking strike from Yohan Cabaye at the kop end but we should have done better from the left back before Hatem Ben Arfa cross the ball. Luis Suarez goal was a pure world class finish but we should have won the game when Jonjo Shelvey had to tap it in but how he slipped in five yards i don't know?.. I thought we should have had a penalty in the first half when Fabio Coloccini bought Luis Suarez down when referee & the linesman can see it he was bought down.... 
      Why didn't Downing who did an very good impression of the invisible man when he came on try to hit a couple of inswinging corners and the free kick towards the end as Stevie couldn't beat the first man. Really missing Glenda's attacking capabilities as well.
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #444: Nov 05, 2012 10:49:25 am
      No doubt about luis saurez is our saviour, downing and enrique are liabilities. When are the young guys going to start scoring? I just wonder in january who can fit into our club system, and score at least 10 goals a season.Its becoming harder to score goals in the epl as the penalty boxes are pretty crowded,  and only strikers with high skill sets are unlocking defences. Its horrendous how much abuse saurez takes from opposition defenders,and how durable he is.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #445: Nov 05, 2012 10:52:52 am
      It tells me two things; i) we had only one 'successful' cross all day and...  ii) (although Brendan works "along the statistic that if you can dominate the game with the ball you have a 79% chance of winning")  Possession, in it's self, (and just like last season) doesn't guarantee a win.

I take your point Res (something I'd referenced in the Assaidi thread, I think) but the fact is the system is set up to play with two 'wide' men who should cut inside and leave space for the 'overlap'. Having accepted this we must realise that the rationale behind this [overlapping full-backs] tactic is for crosses to be made. As such; it must be something that Brendan actively 'encourages'.

The thing is tho'; we don't play with a big 'target man' (to feed off high crosses) so, tactically, our full-backs/wingers have to play 'it' low in the hope of finding smaller 'forwards' and midfielders arriving late.

Remembering too, of course that 'your' options are already restricted and it is inevitably harder to miss defenders out in a packed 18 yard box. Your percentage of "successful" crosses will naturally suffer.

Now whilst it may be successfully argued that, tactically, Brendan has got this part wrong; we've got to understand why, under this system, the ratio of "successful" crosses will never be consistently high.

Being that we play with Luis as a false 9 we need to put quality around him up front.
      As great as it is to see Sterling and Suso getting a chance it also highlights the weakness in our team.
      We need to put two quality forwards around Luis. I would wager that the likes of Walcott and Sturridge would excel there.
      waz112003
      • Banned

• 70 posts |
      Reply #446: Nov 05, 2012 10:54:49 am
      Why didn't Downing who did an very good impression of the invisible man when he came on try to hit a couple of inswinging corners and the free kick towards the end as Stevie couldn't beat the first man. Really missing Glenda's attacking capabilities as well.

When Stewart Downing came on he crossed a ball in the box but where were the other players in the box apart from Jonjo Shelvey who headed towards the goalkeeper which was a sloppy header. I think Steven Gerrard should be dropped from the starting line up cause since he became an England captain he is not playing towards his true potential...
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #447: Nov 05, 2012 11:14:46 am
      When we get an out and out goalscorer, where do we play him? He ain't shifting Suarez that's for sure.

Do we play him out wide on the right (Suso left out)?

Or do we play him out wide on the left (Sterling left out)?

Or do we change formation and play two up there? Still someone left out.

Borini is a fox in the box, but was played out wide. I think the gaffer may have to change Suarez' role and our set up.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #448: Nov 05, 2012 11:25:31 am
      When we get another striker we get him in the front three and get them fluid and being able to swap positions

A front three of Walcott, Huntelaar and Suarez would work well and that would leave us with Borini, Suso, Sterling and Assaidi as options from the bench.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #449: Nov 05, 2012 11:36:14 am
      When we get another striker we get him in the front three and get them fluid and being able to swap positions

A front three of Walcott, Huntelaar and Suarez would work well and that would leave us with Borini, Suso, Sterling and Assaidi as options from the bench.

Yup, looks good on paper at least.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #450: Nov 05, 2012 11:37:28 am
      Yup, looks good on paper at least.

Still need to push Gerrard higher though
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #451: Nov 05, 2012 11:44:47 am
      We need to put two quality forwards around Luis. I would wager that the likes of Walcott and Sturridge would excel there.

For sure buddy - two players I mentioned in another thread. To understand what we 'need' you've got to understand the way the team is set up and tactics. In my humble opinion we need strikers/goal scores who can play wide not wide players trying to be goal scorers/strikers. Both players you mention can do just that.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #452: Nov 05, 2012 12:15:44 pm
      For sure buddy - two players I mentioned in another thread. To understand what we 'need' you've got to understand the way the team is set up and tactics. In my humble opinion we need strikers/goal scores who can play wide not wide players trying to be goal scorers/strikers. Both players you mention can do just that.

Exactly. Goal scorers that can play wide. We don't need wingers.
      Well our system doesn't have a place for wingers so converted forwards or wide forwards is what we need.
      Can see those two making a massive difference to us.

The youth players have bailed us out of a pretty poor summer. We need to rectify that in the January window.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #453: Nov 05, 2012 12:34:51 pm
      “Let me tell you, he kicks a moving ball a thousand times a day and doesn’t miss it once.

Never misses the ball, yet hasn't played the ball in this incident.

F***ing idiot.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #454: Nov 05, 2012 12:40:57 pm
      Still need to push Gerrard higher though

I know what you mean mate, I really do. I think, especially with our lack of strikers at the moment, it is a role that Stevie could play. However, what I found interesting yesterday, and I have been crying out for it to happen for quite a while now, is that Stevie has adapted his game. He wasn't going for crazy sprints with the ball and knackering himself. He almost played the holding midfield role, with Sahin playing off Suarez. I am not saying that is the correct role in this moment in time but, if we get a striker in January, I think that will be the role that Stevie will have to take up.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #455: Nov 05, 2012 12:44:15 pm
      I am not one to criticize heavily, and I don't want to become someone like that. However, boy does Jose Enrique frustrate the hell out of me at times. I know he has it in him to be a quality player, we have seen aspects of his game that are bright. However, over the last few months, it just looks as if he has spent far too much time in the gym and is trying to use his strength all the time. It works sometimes but the majority of times, he gives it away needlessly. That said, great pass for Suarez's goal.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #456: Nov 05, 2012 01:06:16 pm
      For those of you who missed it, watch this. Had me in stitches, have to say:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/video/2012/nov/05/anfield-sprinkler-liverpool-fans-video
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #457: Nov 05, 2012 01:11:05 pm
      Before I post what I want to say Ill just comment on the above post by Semple. Regarding Enrique, fully agree pal. He annoyed me something terrible yesterday. When Johnson is back it has to be him to go not Wisdom.

To the game. Frustrating first 45. One big difference in the 2nd 45 was men getting beyond Suarez. Once we did that Newcastle couldnt live with us. I think it was George posted earlier saying if we get in the strikers as reported in January I think we will see a huge turn in fortune, we simply arent getting the return ingoals our posession deserves, that would change with more strikers coming in

A sublime goal from Suarez. If Messi or Rooney did it you wouldnt hear the end of it. Were blessed Colocinni's disgusting effort to do Luis didnt come off, that was a leg breaker.

Johnjo could have won it on 3 seperate occasions just didnt work for whatever reason for him. Also though Jones could have been stronger for there goalif he'd stood tall he probably would have saved it.

Someone is going to get a hiding of us soo. Wont be Chelsea but I do fancy us for 3 points down there.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #458: Nov 05, 2012 01:55:23 pm
      I think we cross the ball far too much. A big part of that is not knowing when to cross the ball. Maybe it's just me, but I've always kind of felt in a system like we're playing, crossing the ball just means the attacker has run out of options and just wants to get rid of it. It's why Downing crossed so much last year instead of taking a man on, for example. I think it would show more maturity and creativity to not cross on first instinct -- which it sometimes feels like we do, still. Maybe that's me and I'm way off though ;D
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #459: Nov 05, 2012 02:30:09 pm
      It was pointed out that in the first half there was only ever Luis in the box on his own the wide players were not coming in and supporting him as this formation dictates.
      This is frustrating because with a couple more inteligent forwards Luis could score even more.
      Its frustrating because we could easily be sitting tucked in behind 4th spot but we have 10 more games before January and we could possibly be to far off 4th by then even if we do splash some cash.

Quick Reply