Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Perspective on any hopes of Champions League qualification from this point on

Read 35995 times
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Re: Perspective on any hopes of Champions League qualification from this point on
      Reply #437: Mar 11, 2013 09:49:12 am
      I agree with everyone on here who is saying one game at a time...

Firstly, I am just gutted that it's not September, on this form we would be touted as top 2 in the prem! We have shown massive improvement in the last few weeks and for the first time in a very long time hit 3 back to back wins. Although we could argue this is whatwe should be doing - it is no easy feat in the prem now... If we had beat Arsenal & City (two games we could / should have won) then I would be thinking differently and we would be right in the mix! That 4 points would have put us into 5th only 3 points behind Chelsea with them to play at Anfield.

All the teams above us have a very difficult run in - playing each other and City / Utd or us. But they will have to implode in order for us to finish 4th... Spurs, could do this - they had a very poor run in last season and this loss will be a big shock to them... Chelsea and Aresnal will grind out results - they always do at this stage of the season.

But, as many say if we put together a run of wins - and over the last part of the season continuew we could... I think we will finish with around 66 points leaving su the 'opportunity' to either lose 2 games or draw 3 which out of 9 games 6 wins would be a great run. Lets just go out there and show what we can do - and hope other teams drop the points along the way... Will we finish 4th, I doubt it - but my heart says yes we can!
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Re: Perspective on any hopes of Champions League qualification from this point on
      Reply #438: Mar 11, 2013 09:54:06 am
      There is no pressure on the team to get 4th spot we have a slim chance and we need results going are way. Rodgers is right in saying that they are not even thinking about and their just taking one game at a time which is the right way to go about it.

In saying that i think if we win against Villa & Southampton away in our next 2 games i think we have a good chance. I think they are the 2 more difficult games as i can see us beating west ham and reading comfortably. I think we will at least draw with chelsea and beat everton and Qpr final day. Newcastle & Fulham away are tough to call.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #439: Mar 11, 2013 11:10:36 am
      Yer I agree with most people that if we stand any chance in finishing 4th we HAVE to win EVERY single game left, even then it would still come down to how Spurs, Chelsea an Arsenal perform.

Arsenal (currently 47 points)
      Swansea (A) - 1
      Reading (H) - 3
      West Brom (A) - 3
      Norwich (H) - 3
      Everton (H) - 1
      Fulham (A) - 3
      Manutd (H) - 0
      QPR (A) - 3
      Wigan (H) - 3
      Newcastle (A) - 3

47+23=70

Chelsea (currently 52 points)
      West Ham (H) - 3
      Southampton (A) - 3
      Sunderland (H) - 3
      Tottenham (H) - 1
      Liverpool (A) - 0
      Swansea (H) - 3
      Manutd (A) - 0
      Villa (A) - 3
      Everton (H) - 3

52+17=69

Tottenham (currently 54 points)
      Fulham (H) - 3
      Swansea (A) - 3
      Everton (H) - 3
      Chelsea (A) - 1
      City (H) - 0
      Wigan (A) - 3
      Southampton (H) - 3
      Stoke (A) - 3
      Sunderland (H) - 3

54+22=76

(assuming city an united do finish in the top 2)Without Liverpool, that would leave Tottenham in 3rd with 76, Arsenal 4th with 70 and Chelsea 5th with 69

Liverpool (currently 45 points)
      Southampton (A) - 3
      Villa (A) - 3
      West Ham (H) - 3
      Reading (A) - 3
      Chelsea (H) - 3
      Newcastle (A) - 3
      Everton (H) - 3
      Fulham (A) - 3
      QPR (H) - 3

45+27=72 points

So we would finish 4th, 2 points above Arsenal. Obviously its easy to say this but its gonna be a very hard fight, an we may be relying on the likes of City, United an Everton to do us some favours. Me myself I dont think we will do it, 5th may be a slight possibility like but keep growing and building an there's no reason why we cant challenge for 4th (or even higher) next season an thereon.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #440: Mar 11, 2013 11:19:50 am
      The last time 70 points claimed 4th was in 2009-2010 season, so win all our remaining games and that would put us on 72 points.

Doddle then. :D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #441: Mar 11, 2013 11:44:05 am
      For us to get 4th we will have to have won our last 12 league games of the season. That is a big ask but there is no reason why we can't win those games. I can see a fair few clean sheets for us in the process too.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #442: Mar 11, 2013 01:19:42 pm
      The old cliche taking each game as it comes eh . We win every game we'll have every chance there's no doubt

C'mon you reds
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #443: Mar 11, 2013 01:26:08 pm
      I truly believed that with eleven games to go we could gather 33 points. So far we have 6 out of 6 points. 9 games to go and it is still on.

Believe.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #444: Mar 13, 2013 07:22:52 am
      Wilshere out for a month so Arenal's chances are going to be affected for sure. Lets keep going strong.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #445: Mar 13, 2013 07:49:52 am
      Loved Brendan's post match interview though, finally got to the King's stance on discussing games, one at a time lads and add them up at the end. It's perfect, gives the media nothing to bite on, also focusses the lads on the job at hand rather than getting their heads in the clouds.

Same here, he was giving them a few sound bites earlier in the season but it's always best to leave the specualtion to us fans. I personally think it's too tall an order and don't really fancy us to put together the sort of incredible run that is required if i'm honest. Am gutted at the way the FA Cup draw went as I was really hoping 6th place might secure the European spot which I think will be important to try and kepp Suarez beyond this summer. I'll be happy if we can push on and secure 5th place.
      Lofti Rider
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts |
      Reply #446: Mar 13, 2013 04:34:23 pm
      "To finally beat one of the top sides should be a big
      psychological boost for Rodgers and his players,"
      he predicted. "We're in the top six now and we've
      got nine cup finals left to play.--aldridge
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #447: Mar 13, 2013 06:43:16 pm
      Top four is hard but possible. Have to win 7 out of nine, including Everton and  Chelsea. We can afford to loose 1 and tie one, as long as we beat those two. Arsenal, Tottenham and Everton have tough fixtures, and are bound to drop points. If we do our job, I think we can do it.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #448: Mar 13, 2013 06:46:36 pm
      I remember when my team in Brazil, Flamengo, went from relegation zone at halfway the league campaign to finish 3rd in the end. The year was 2007. It was brilliant. Everything seemed to work in our favor that year - teams above us dropping points, we won all of our key matches, etc - and finishing 3rd never felt so great.

So yeah it's unlikely, but I've seen bigger surprises in my lifetime. I won't begrudge the team or the manager if we end up out of the UCL spots by the end of the season, but I will believe while it's possible.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #449: Mar 13, 2013 07:31:51 pm
      Despite me saying previously that we've dropped too many points to qualify I'm starting to change my mind.  This weekend could see us going into 5th, 4 points off 4th, if results go our way.

Bitters v City
      Swansea v Arse
      Chavs v W.Ham

I'm also loving the fact that everyone else has written us off  ;D
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #450: Mar 13, 2013 07:39:04 pm
      I'm also loving the fact that everyone else has written us off  ;D

Good place to be Debs.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #451: Mar 13, 2013 07:41:41 pm

It is Skip  ;)
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #452: Mar 13, 2013 07:43:41 pm
      Optimistic, but I won't really be disappointed if we don't.

BR and the lads have done a great job of getting us back in the mix, and I'm chuffed with that.
      Guruji
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts | 55 
      Reply #453: Mar 13, 2013 11:29:46 pm
      I'm looking at our final 9 games and, apart from Newcastle away, I honestly believe we can win all of them. If we won 8 and drew 1 of the remaining games it would give us 25 pts, added onto our current total of 45 which gives us a round 70 points which should be enough for the top 4.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #454: Mar 14, 2013 09:01:19 am
      We can win every game from now on in i don't think we will but if we do then
      we'll defo get 4th place.
      Our hardest game is Newcastle away & they're sh*t frankly if we do it f***in hell
      it will be like winning the title (well it won't really it will be the 3rd best loser but you
      know what i mean!)

Good Luck boys & keep scoring Luis players player & football writers won't be able to
      give it to anybody else..

Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #455: Mar 14, 2013 12:45:54 pm
      Yer I agree with most people that if we stand any chance in finishing 4th we HAVE to win EVERY single game left, even then it would still come down to how Spurs, Chelsea an Arsenal perform.

Arsenal (currently 47 points)
      Swansea (A) - 1
      Reading (H) - 3
      West Brom (A) - 3
      Norwich (H) - 3
      Everton (H) - 1
      Fulham (A) - 3
      Manutd (H) - 0
      QPR (A) - 3
      Wigan (H) - 3
      Newcastle (A) - 3

47+23=70

Chelsea (currently 52 points)
      West Ham (H) - 3
      Southampton (A) - 3
      Sunderland (H) - 3
      Tottenham (H) - 1
      Liverpool (A) - 0
      Swansea (H) - 3
      Manutd (A) - 0
      Villa (A) - 3
      Everton (H) - 3

52+17=69

Tottenham (currently 54 points)
      Fulham (H) - 3
      Swansea (A) - 3
      Everton (H) - 3
      Chelsea (A) - 1
      City (H) - 0
      Wigan (A) - 3
      Southampton (H) - 3
      Stoke (A) - 3
      Sunderland (H) - 3

54+22=76

(assuming city an united do finish in the top 2)Without Liverpool, that would leave Tottenham in 3rd with 76, Arsenal 4th with 70 and Chelsea 5th with 69

Liverpool (currently 45 points)
      Southampton (A) - 3
      Villa (A) - 3
      West Ham (H) - 3
      Reading (A) - 3
      Chelsea (H) - 3
      Newcastle (A) - 3
      Everton (H) - 3
      Fulham (A) - 3
      QPR (H) - 3

45+27=72 points

So we would finish 4th, 2 points above Arsenal. Obviously its easy to say this but its gonna be a very hard fight, an we may be relying on the likes of City, United an Everton to do us some favours. Me myself I dont think we will do it, 5th may be a slight possibility like but keep growing and building an there's no reason why we cant challenge for 4th (or even higher) next season an thereon.
      i can see arsenal dropping points at west brom and newcastle last day realistically were not going to win every game even 1 defeat against a less team and a draw and we could still pull it off 7W 1D 1D more likely
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #456: Mar 15, 2013 07:35:41 am
      Arsenal playing Swansea away and us Southampton away. They never won at swansea. Hope Swansea nick a win. Of course we should be winning.

Last season if i remember correct arsenal went onto 7 win in a row after win against milan. Hope they will not have anything like that this season.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #457: Mar 15, 2013 07:46:09 am
      ^^^^
      Not gonna happen this time they are crap at the moment.
      They had a great result in the week but the performance was rubbish.
      Bizarrely Bayern were even worse..
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #458: Mar 15, 2013 07:48:31 am
      ^^^^
      Not gonna happen this time they are crap at the moment.
      They had a great result in the week but the performance was rubbish.
      Bizarrely Bayern were even worse..
      Hope so mate!. Arsenal got easiest of games among the teams racing for 4th spot. Heard wilshere out for the season. It will be a blow to them.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #459: Mar 15, 2013 04:05:18 pm
      What happens if Chelsea or Spurs win the Europa League but finish in the top 4. Does anyone know if this creates a Europa spot for the 6th placed team in the EPL? Be good if it does. I still think that's our best chance of European football next season.

Quick Reply