Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Anzhi Mackachkala 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Comments

Read 30987 times
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Re: Anzhi Mackachkala 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Comments
      Reply #322: Nov 08, 2012 07:10:29 pm
      We do realise how far backwards we have gone but i cant see the club rectifiying it quick enough.

All depends on how quick you expect it to be rectified - the season isn't a third of the way through yet.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #323: Nov 08, 2012 07:10:52 pm

Well tonight it was a mistake - just like it has been a number of times this season - individual mistakes.

Yes we have dropped backwards in the last three years - I don't think enough people realise how far backwards we have gone.

To be honest I'm beginning to have slight doubts about the 'system' long term. Quality players would no doubt make our attack more penetrative and, hopefully, efficient. Those 'mistakes' have been constant and are we simply to accept they'll always be an issue?

Does anyone know if Swansea conceded a lot from individual mistakes last season? We're not playing well enough to break teams down consistently and not defending well enough to stop losing and drawing.

We need to be more pragmatic.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #324: Nov 08, 2012 07:10:53 pm
      Anzhi are nowhere near as good as I expected them to be before our games against them.

Totally agree H2H, I expected much tougher matches and a much better standard of play.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #325: Nov 08, 2012 07:11:32 pm
      Fair enough George, perhaps I just watched it with a negative attitude, because I do see plenty of people stressing on positives. I just struggled to see them and honestly thought Anzhi, yes top in their league, looked a very poor side in both games we've played against them.

They do look poor - maybe our players made them look poor ? It wasn't perfect I agree and still lots to do but definatly some encouraging signs
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #326: Nov 08, 2012 07:13:12 pm
      All depends on how quick you expect it to be rectified - the season isn't a third of the way through yet.

No George its not but when the seasons does enter 3/4's of the way we could be out of all competitions & thats just not LFC or to be expected mate.

Transition or not.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #327: Nov 08, 2012 07:13:46 pm
      Its hard to believe how far we have fallen as a club in the last 3 years or so.
      Absolutely no guts in this team no urgency no passion 3 things a Liverpool team must always take on to the field.

Sorry, but that is utter bollocks.

A moderately weak Liverpool team has lost 1-0 to a Mega rich side, 2nd in the Russian League, they have only lost 2 games so far this season.

If we had played a full team we would have won there, no question.

No guts, no passion! If that is so why the F**k were we still attacking the the 93rd minute then?

They only threatened on the BREAK, that's away team tactics FFS.

George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #328: Nov 08, 2012 07:14:11 pm
      To be honest I'm beginning to have slight doubts about the 'system' long term. Quality players would no doubt make our attack more penetrative and, hopefully, efficient. Those 'mistakes' have been constant and are we simply to accept they'll always be an issue?

Does anyone know if Swansea conceded a lot from individual mistakes last season? We're not playing well enough to break teams down consistently and not defending well enough to stop losing and drawing.

We need to be more pragmatic.

It's not even December yet - giving up on system already ?

Swansea wouldn't have made many mistakes because those players had been playing the system for a number of years - our players are still getting used to it all - tonight was a player trying to press and getting beat then a poor decision from Jones. No system can count for those mistakes.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #329: Nov 08, 2012 07:15:20 pm
      It's all about the goals. And we haven't got many people capable of giving us them.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #330: Nov 08, 2012 07:15:43 pm
      No George its not but when the seasons does enter 3/4's of the way we could be out of all competitions & thats just not LFC or to be expected mate.

Transition or not.

Fair point.

We won a trophy in Kennys first full year of transition but maybe it has to be one step back for two forward?
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #331: Nov 08, 2012 07:16:39 pm
      It's not even December yet - giving up on system already ?

Swansea wouldn't have made many mistakes because those players had been playing the system for a number of years - our players are still getting used to it all - tonight was a player trying to press and getting beat then a poor decision from Jones. No system can count for those mistakes.

I asked if someone had the stats? You don't have a clue whether or not they had cut these mistakes out. Maybe giving away goals through errors is the fundamental flaw in this system.

I was sold on Rodgers because I thought we'd get control. We aren't getting that, and that is the bit we have the players for.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #332: Nov 08, 2012 07:16:56 pm

Transition or not.

Are we out of the competitions already then ? Anything else your crystal ball can suggest ?

We have been out of all competitions by bloody Jan before.

This was never going to get sorted in one season - nowhere close. It's all about moving forward as a club and getting a solid foundation - that takes time. It seems time is running out for some
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #333: Nov 08, 2012 07:18:07 pm
      I asked if someone had the stats? You don't have a clue whether or not they had cut these mistakes out. Maybe giving away goals through errors is the fundamental flaw in this system.

I was sold on Rodgers because I thought we'd get control. We aren't getting that, and that is the bit we have the players for.

The system is only getting started !! It's only November what did you expect ? Got to give it time.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #334: Nov 08, 2012 07:19:01 pm
      Fair point.

We won a trophy in Kennys first full year of transition but maybe it has to be one step back for two forward?

And we went backwards further in the league.

George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #335: Nov 08, 2012 07:19:59 pm
      Sorry, but that is utter bollocks.

A moderately weak Liverpool team has lost 1-0 to a Mega rich side, 2nd in the Russian League, they have only lost 2 games so far this season.

If we had played a full team we would have won there, no question.

No guts, no passion! If that is so why the F**k were we still attacking the the 93rd minute then?

They only threatened on the BREAK, that's away team tactics FFS.

Great post +1
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #336: Nov 08, 2012 07:20:24 pm
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #337: Nov 08, 2012 07:20:37 pm
      Fair point.

where do we stop one step back to take two steps forward?.

KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #338: Nov 08, 2012 07:24:08 pm
      The system is only getting started !! It's only November what did you expect ? Got to give it time.

We're five months in. We haven't nailed control, defending or attacking yet.

Don't worry though, we won the passing.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #339: Nov 08, 2012 07:25:56 pm
      We're five months in. We haven't nailed control, defending or attacking yet.

Don't worry though, we won the passing.

And we are currently unbeaten in the league for over a month now - it was never going to click within a couple of months.

I do believe we have controlled plenty games so far just need help in the cutting edge department
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #340: Nov 08, 2012 07:29:17 pm
      And we are currently unbeaten in the league for over a month now - it was never going to click within a couple of months.

I do believe we have controlled plenty games so far just need help in the cutting edge department

You and I have a different concept of control.

Look you're being positive, good. But there is more to be a good red than saying everything is boss.

Better attackers will see more cutting edge, whether it's enough to progress to where we need to be I don't know. But at what point do we ask why the F**k do we keep getting "unlucky" and making silly individual errors? And why is it that.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #341: Nov 08, 2012 07:33:36 pm
      You and I have a different concept of control.

Look you're being positive, good. But there is more to be a good red than saying everything is boss.

Better attackers will see more cutting edge, whether it's enough to progress to where we need to be I don't know. But at what point do we ask why the F**k do we keep getting "unlucky" and making silly individual errors? And why is it that.

I'm not saying everything is perfect - lots of improvement is needed but I understand that it is going to take time for things to work and click. There was no quick fix I'm afraid.

Tonight was the first defeat since Udinese ? First mistakes for a while now.

Surely we have to give the system proper time to get working

It seems like people are just waiting to say its not going to work and a mistake was made in the summer.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #342: Nov 08, 2012 07:39:19 pm
      I'm not saying everything is perfect - lots of improvement is needed but I understand that it is going to take time for things to work and click. There was no quick fix I'm afraid.

Tonight was the first defeat since Udinese ? First mistakes for a while now.

Surely we have to give the system proper time to get working

It seems like people are just waiting to say its not going to work and a mistake was made in the summer.

The system is working in a way.

It looks, quite often, like Wenger's 'sterile domination' quip. Aside from spells in games we rarely pass it crisply enough to make quality openings. And often we look to be playing 'just pass it around, give it to Suarez and hope he creates.'

Maybe because I'm posting this in a match thread it looks like I'm reacting just to tonight but I'm not. This is a creeping doubt over the system.

All I see at the moment is us keeping it well, playing excellently in patches, missing chances, making mistakes and not getting wins but draws. Looks a lot like last season.

Another thing is we are Liverpool not F***ing Bolton. People are acting like being told to pass the ball is news to these players, most of them can play. We passed well last season but the difference is we're getting less players forward but are equally profligate and lax at the back.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #343: Nov 08, 2012 07:44:15 pm
      Don't worry I know your not reacting to this match

Your observations are correct - and we do need more up top which will help the penetration and goals. There is a long way to go yet - last season we created a lot of chances - or should I say Suarez created a lot of chances - we look a lot brighter this season and Suarez looks a better goalscorer this season because the chances being created are better chances for him to finish.

The only thing I can suggest is to give it time - it's improved as the season as gone along and it will get better - we just have to give it the chance and improve our options in Jan
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #344: Nov 08, 2012 07:44:45 pm
      In fairness to the players and the manager, it was hardly the biggest surprise in the world that we didn't look like scoring. I still think that if you put a couple of potent attackers into our team we'd look like a good side, and the real tester is whether or not we can get them over the next twelve months or so.

As it is, teams are pretty happy for us to have the ball for long periods, as the likelihood is we won't create much anyhow. Once we find ourselves a sniffer and someone who can attack a cross (hopefully that's two players) teams will be far more nervous about us having possession of the football for long periods. At the moment we haven't even got the option of slinging it in, as we've nobody in there.

Tonight we did ok, we had five or six youth team players playing and they all did well. Suso put in his best shift for a month and looked quality, and I remain covinced we are quite a bit closer than we look.

Quick Reply