Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Anzhi Mackachkala 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Comments

Read 30860 times
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Re: Anzhi Mackachkala 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Comments
      Reply #368: Nov 08, 2012 09:05:33 pm
      Realistic ?! You're realistic when you choose to be ! Your happy to demand too high expectations from the club yet can't accept how far we have fallen in 3 years to realise those expectations have far too high - that's being realistic.

If you can't see the positives so far then it's pointless anyone pointing them out too because your too twisted in bitterness towards the owners without realising we are trying to do a good thing and moving forward as a club.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #369: Nov 08, 2012 09:09:12 pm
      A nice performance, you could see with the squad that went out there it was going to be ..... Hard?.... A test?.... Experience? ....

I thought the kids did well, we kept the ball well, I thought Morgans movement was good.. I felt Suso was tremendous when he came on.. Thought Flanagan and Wisdom did well, Carra and Coates were solid overall.. Jones did ok, as did Downing and Cole in parts.
      Henderson and Shelvey were poor, games where they need to have a real impact and both struggled.

The kids out there will learn from that experience, it will do them good, but we need players in the final third.. It's becoming more and more obvious.
      Not negative though, thought the lads did well out there. But we just don't carve out enough chances as yet, we need some more direct players when they get in in the final third and need to get the midfield and more bodies in and around the oppositions box.

Positives to take from this though
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #370: Nov 08, 2012 09:10:26 pm
      People should look at the performance for what is . Stop using a love hate of the owners or Rodgers as anyway trying to praise or criticize a performance.

Can we not honestly discuss a performance gave my views on the match. Ya I dislike the owners but that is F**k all got to do with what I thought of the match
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #371: Nov 08, 2012 09:12:54 pm
      I thought Morgan looked out of his depth. Don't see where the praise is coming from.

Saying that thought barring a sensational touch in the second half thought cole was worse.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #372: Nov 08, 2012 09:15:22 pm
      Thought his movement was good Corb...

He may not be the final product yet but his movement was good for me.. He may not cut it.. The the way he pulled the CBS across and ran between the lines was good.

In my opinion
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #373: Nov 08, 2012 09:18:32 pm
      Thought his movement was good Corb...

He may not be the final product yet but his movement was good for me.. He may not cut it.. The the way he pulled the CBS across and ran between the lines was good.

In my opinion

Thought his movement was very good , played some very good balls as well both short and long. Wasn't afraid to have a pop as well. Impressed with Coady as well - played it simple when needed and also played some great balls. Certainly wasn't the. "Tall Spearing" some labelled him
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #374: Nov 08, 2012 09:26:56 pm
      Brendan's Anzhi verdict
      8th Nov 2012 - Latest News

Brendan Rodgers lamented a mistake that consigned Liverpool to a 1-0 Europa League defeat to Anzhi Makhachkala but admitted there were plenty of positives to take from the performance.

A defensive slip allowed Lacina Traore to score the only goal right on the stroke of half-time, but reflecting on the overall 90 minutes the manager felt his team deserved more.

In a much changed line-up, U21s captain Conor Coady was handed his first-team debut while Jon Flanagan played his first game of the season after being sidelined through injury.

Addressing his post-match press conference, Rodgers said: "We are disappointed with the result.

"I thought the players gave everything in the game. Tactically our concentration was very good, we controlled the game for 44 minutes and 50 seconds of the first half but then we made a bad mistake and got punished. That's the level.

"It was more of the same in the second half and we had chances. There was real disappointment in the dressing room and I felt for the players tonight.

"Anzhi are a good side with top players, but we held our own, the young players were terrific and we're disappointed not to have got something from it."

Reflecting on the decisive strike from Traore which gave the home side the three points, the boss said: "It was a mistake late on in the half. We just had to do that wee bit better in defending it once he's turned. That's something the players involved know themselves so they don't need to be told.

"The performance level on the evening was very good on a really difficult pitch. The players play the system tactically very, very well and we created chances from it. We just found ourselves unfortunate not to have got something from a very difficult place.

"I must thank the supporters. They were fantastic travelling a hell of a long way and the support they gave us was incredible. We failed to give them something in return but hopefully they'll be proud of the performance in terms of a lot of the young players.

"We just move onto the next game in the group - and it's a game we really focus on looking to win."

Rodgers was quizzed by journalists as to whether the decision to leave the likes of Luis Suarez, Steven Gerrard and Joe Allen behind at Melwood had any bearing on the result.

He replied: "No, not at all. I think that's disrespectful to the players who are here. They have been magnificent and done really, really well tonight.

"We just got punished for a mistake in concentration and that led to us losing the game. It wasn't anything to do with Suarez, Gerrard, Allen, Agger or Skrtel not being here. The players that played did fantastically well. It was just one of those things, but we'll take it as a team. We're disappointed but there are positives from tonight.

"First and foremost, we looked at a different system. We played 3-5-2 tonight. We did some work on it going into the game.

This Clip is unavailable in your country until Thu 08/11/2012 23:00 (UK Time)
      "Tactically over the course of the game the players carried out the game plan very well. It was frustrating for Anzhi in the first half and we had chances to go in front.

"Young Coady made his debut tonight and did very well in that controlling role. For Flanagan it was his first game for a long time."

The boss also had words of encouragement for Joe Cole who came close to getting his first goal in a red shirt on his 31st birthday.

He added: "Joe did very well tonight. His movement was good and it looked more like what Joe can produce in terms of the final third.

"Across the team, there were excellent performances. We're just very disappointed to have made the mistake that eventually led to us losing the game."

Asked by reporters how the result affects qualification for the next phase of the competition, Rodgers said: "It's a very tight group. It was always going to go down to the last game. The next one is now a big game for us now against Young Boys."
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #375: Nov 08, 2012 09:41:37 pm
      Was exactly like the tall spearing he is played nothing balls.

Maybe certain posters can't remember jay spearing.

Interesting pd thought he was poor myself and when he had a chance to pass in the second half hit the side netting when shooting was the wrong option. Hit one decent cross field ball in the first half.

Thought suso and brad Jones were the only people to come out with anything tonight.

If im been brutually honest think coady Morgan and Flanagan have a limited chance of making it at the club.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #376: Nov 08, 2012 09:45:45 pm
      Jones was at fault for their goal along with Coates ! Came rushing out and left himself stranded in no mans land !
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #377: Nov 08, 2012 09:48:15 pm
      Jones had a good game looked assured. Thought coates was at fault for the first goal maybe carragher as well for been to far away from his defensive partner to cover
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #378: Nov 08, 2012 09:52:31 pm
      And Jones made it nice and simple for the striker to lob him. Think most people recognised that and was pointed out by God in the studio. Stay on his line and the chance becomes a lot harder
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #379: Nov 08, 2012 09:57:24 pm
      Don't think any keeper in the land is going to be on his line in the same position.

Ya he maybe have been to far out irrelevant though because carragher was to far away an to slow to get around

Would I play Reina Sunday of course I would
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #380: Nov 08, 2012 09:57:31 pm
      For the players we had available on the trip, I thought it was a pretty decent performance. Bolded that bit, just incase anyone think Im being too positive about our current predicament, because we wouldn't want that would we?

Considering 7 of the starting 11 were under the age of 22 I thought we limited a side battling it out at the top of the Russian league to very few moments, only undone by abit of quality from Traore. Unfortunately, we didn't create much up the other end, which Im afraid is to be expected with an 18 year old lad & a 31 year old over the hill, fag smoking, £100,000 grand a week waste of space when up against two experienced CB's such as Carlos & Samba. Kept the ball well, Suso added some much needed urgency, but I don't think Pacheco/Cole/Henderson/Shelvey did much to help their case.

Nothing special, there were positives, if people don't want to acknowledge them fair enough. Game of opinions.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #381: Nov 08, 2012 09:59:11 pm
      Actually liked the look of traore was a handful for coates and carragher
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #382: Nov 08, 2012 10:01:41 pm
      People should look at the performance for what is . Stop using a love hate of the owners or Rodgers as anyway trying to praise or criticize a performance.

Can we not honestly discuss a performance gave my views on the match. Ya I dislike the owners but that is f**k all got to do with what I thought of the match

We need scoring minded forwards with experience and more than one of them.  We needed this last match, this match and against Chelsea this weekend.

I refuse to get up and down match by match because the problem we had this match is the same problem we had since the beginning of the season, we are a short squad (especially upfront) and we need quality and depth that better be coming in January.
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #383: Nov 08, 2012 10:03:18 pm
      Shelvey had a hit and miss game for me more miss his confidence looks shattered and his decisions rash, we did have some pretty good chances and I thought the team as a whole made a good account for itself but certain players were weak I'm not gonna point them out because they are fringe players. Suso looked really confident and exciting, jones did well i miss Pepe though hope he's back on form soon. I thought Morgan had a good game for the service he got. Over two games we have more than matched the experience of Hiddink and could of nicked a draw or win in Russia with a very young side.
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #384: Nov 08, 2012 10:03:47 pm
      Flanagan has stalled horribly in his development since that game at Blackburn when he had a nightmare for the first 30 and got Doni sent off. It looks like he is still scarred by that performance.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #385: Nov 08, 2012 10:06:18 pm
      Suso shone.

Henderson is Norman Wisdom.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #386: Nov 08, 2012 10:16:14 pm
      Quite surprised at a few being negative towards Morgan first half especially he showed very well, second half admittedly he didn't do much and was poor choice when he shot into side netting. Looks a lot more comfortable as central striker.

Suso was a breathe of fresh air when he came on in the half hour cameo was my man of the match.

I thought Jones did OK again, you could put him at fault for the goal but more of the blame lies with Coates imo, who i thought had one of his poorer performances.

Coady looked OK nothing special kept it simple.

Negatives for me today were Pacheco didn't do much once he came on.

Henderson he needs to step it up, even more so when he's in a side like today where he's classed as one of the most experienced out there.

Flanno I still believe he's a limited footballer and in todays game where full backs (and in todays formation wing backs), need to be a lot more than yr old fashioned hard in the tackle pass it to flair players to do some thing kind of player, he doesn't cut it.

Shelvey I thought this season would be his break through season but like I saw a fellow poster put he seems to have gone to bits since his sending off against United. In the first half he did some neat interchanges but second half he was poor and the free kick summed it up.

Cole saw him in the warm up and he looked knackered, there were parts of the game where he came into it but I'm sorry to say the sooner we get rid of him and his massive wage packet the better.

All in all decent performance from inexperienced side against a team who many sides will struggle against especially in Russia. Positives to take and qualification is in our hands, hope the lads who didn't travel thank BR with a sterling performance at the Bridge of Sunday.

YNWA
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #387: Nov 08, 2012 10:26:36 pm
      Quite surprised at a few being negative towards Morgan first half especially he showed very well, second half admittedly he didn't do much and was poor choice when he shot into side netting. Looks a lot more comfortable as central striker.

Suso was a breathe of fresh air when he came on in the half hour cameo was my man of the match.

I thought Jones did OK again, you could put him at fault for the goal but more of the blame lies with Coates imo, who i thought had one of his poorer performances.

Coady looked OK nothing special kept it simple.

Negatives for me today were Pacheco didn't do much once he came on.

Henderson he needs to step it up, even more so when he's in a side like today where he's classed as one of the most experienced out there.

Flanno I still believe he's a limited footballer and in todays game where full backs (and in todays formation wing backs), need to be a lot more than yr old fashioned hard in the tackle pass it to flair players to do some thing kind of player, he doesn't cut it.

Shelvey I thought this season would be his break through season but like I saw a fellow poster put he seems to have gone to bits since his sending off against United. In the first half he did some neat interchanges but second half he was poor and the free kick summed it up.

Cole saw him in the warm up and he looked knackered, there were parts of the game where he came into it but I'm sorry to say the sooner we get rid of him and his massive wage packet the better.

All in all decent performance from inexperienced side against a team who many sides will struggle against especially in Russia. Positives to take and qualification is in our hands, hope the lads who didn't travel thank BR with a sterling performance at the Bridge of Sunday.

YNWA

Couldn't really argue with that mate to be honest, decent summary.

Share the views of Corbs though in that I cannot see Coady's, Flanno's or Morgan's long term future's being at Liverpool although when Morgan went off today I felt we looked less likely to score as just the presence of us having a CF on gave hope. Would of liked to have seen him on with Suso during his cameo.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #388: Nov 08, 2012 10:34:33 pm

Share the views of Corbs though in that I cannot see Coady's, Flanno's or Morgan's long term future's being at Liverpool

No me either, however I wonder if this is a statement by Rodgers to FSG, along with a few other things with the things he is doing with the squad which I will try to explain tomorrow..

Kind of saying

"Look what I have to work with here, we need investment and backing"

Have to say though I agree I don't think he will cut it as I said earlier I was impressed with Morgans movement
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #389: Nov 08, 2012 11:07:54 pm
      I could possibly agree about Flanno and Morgan but disagree about Coady - he has impressed at every level as a youth for both club and country and can see him doing well - it was a decent debut in the middle of the park against established players and looked at home. I think he can develop well if given the chance.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #390: Nov 08, 2012 11:31:52 pm
      I think the young lads gave a good account of themselves tonight to be honest, playing away in a very cold Russia against largely seasoned pro's and we lost 1-0, I'll be honest I was expecting being on the wrong end of a drubbing.

Quick Reply