Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Anzhi Mackachkala 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Comments

Read 30871 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Anzhi Mackachkala 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Comments
      Reply #391: Nov 09, 2012 12:49:49 am
      Facht :

Was Liverpool's first defeat away from home in a UEFA Cup or Europa League group game.

Source : BBC
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #392: Nov 09, 2012 01:06:18 am
      Why does brendan keep on playing cole, He has many chances to score, even very easy chances waste of space leave him in russia please. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #393: Nov 09, 2012 01:14:46 am
      Why does brendan keep on playing cole, He has many chances to score, even very easy chances waste of space leave him in russia please. 

Probably mates from when they were both at Chelsea. That's got to be the only reason. Cole looks finished especially at the top level of the game.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #394: Nov 09, 2012 01:17:38 am
      Only just seen the first 20 minutes or so as my recording seems to have been f**ked.

Looked decent on the ball and as a few have mentioned I was impressed wiht Morgan's movement for what I've seen.

On the result a narrow defeat away in Russia with a very young side is not the end of the world or the worst result I've seen over the years.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #395: Nov 09, 2012 02:45:50 am
      Anyway, the Udinese game went our way with Young Boys winning, so as long as we beat Young Boys at Anfield, I think we should progress. Can't see Udinese winning away in Russia.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #396: Nov 09, 2012 07:37:36 am
      Driving through to Edinburgh this am and nearly crashed at sports news headlines: - "Liverpool hopes hanging by a thread as Spurs move into prime position to pounce"

Could t make it up - f#ckin journalist sh#tehawks
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #397: Nov 09, 2012 09:15:59 am
      Cole needs to go in january.
      He offers nothing and robs others of a chance.
      Wish he'd F**k off now mate.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #398: Nov 09, 2012 09:24:31 am

Absolutely.

Suso looked good central. I thought Coady did okay. His normal, no fuss role in midfield.
      I don't get why he is written off by so many. Put the likes of Teixeira or Lussey beside him
      and our youth midfield is more balanced. Came in to perform a holding role and I think he
      did it quite well.

Ones that should have offered more were Henderson and Shelvey and neither really impressed
      me on that display. Maybe just inconsistant tonight.

Cole, for all bar his one good touch, just annoys me to see him get any game time. We played
      a largely young team last night and I would have much rather seen Skrtel and Suso/Pacheco start.

Anyway hope the gamble pays off and we can still top the group.
      More immediately I hope the boys that were spared the trip get the win we need against Chelsea.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #399: Nov 09, 2012 09:35:58 am
      Driving through to Edinburgh this am and nearly crashed at sports news headlines: - "Liverpool hopes hanging by a thread as Spurs move into prime position to pounce"

Quite a chunky sized thread! 
      Crazy horses
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #400: Nov 09, 2012 09:41:43 am

He was blowing out his arse after 15 minutes he's just baggage now.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #401: Nov 09, 2012 09:47:47 am
      Why Henderson didn't put his right foot through that ball and smash it home in the first half is totally beyond me...Somethings happened to that lad since the season started !!..
      Is it just me or has anyone else noticed how Wisdom is all of a sudden passing balls BACK instead of forward...he seems to run with the ball , reach the halfway line , stop and play it back..knew it wouldn't be long !!
      I'm sorry but Cole is useless !!..bin him quick !..
      So gutted we couldn't get anything ot of that game , we deserved a point at least...
      Why we didn't take Suarez and give him the last 20 minutes is also beyond me...he'd have buried that free kick at the end instead of it being completely wasted by Shelvey..
      Sunday can't come quick enough !!!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #402: Nov 09, 2012 09:50:37 am

What's this in relation to?
      Crazy horses
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #403: Nov 09, 2012 10:03:03 am
      Why Henderson didn't put his right foot through that ball and smash it home in the first half is totally beyond me...Somethings happened to that lad since the season started !!..
      Is it just me or has anyone else noticed how Wisdom is all of a sudden passing balls BACK instead of forward...he seems to run with the ball , reach the halfway line , stop and play it back..knew it wouldn't be long !!
      I'm sorry but Cole is useless !!..bin him quick !..
      So gutted we couldn't get anything ot of that game , we deserved a point at least...
      Why we didn't take Suarez and give him the last 20 minutes is also beyond me...he'd have buried that free kick at the end instead of it being completely wasted by Shelvey..
      Sunday can't come quick enough !!!

Wisdom had Henderson and Morgan in front of him who were not showing, it was either pass to the centre to Coady ( who had a fine game or me ) or backwards. Can't blame the lad for that.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #404: Nov 09, 2012 10:43:31 am
      Frustrating night, I thought Brendan should have switched to a back 4 a bit earlier as Eto'o dropped deeper, the team seemed to run out of steam and Cole looked totally fu**ed. I though the young lads did well enough on quite a difficult pitch and I certainly think the criticism of the likes of Coady, Morgan and Flanagan has been harsh. Shelvey was okay first half but in the second seemed to be very heavy legged.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,196 posts | 913 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #405: Nov 09, 2012 12:05:10 pm

Then why do you listen to f***in journalist shitehawks
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #406: Nov 09, 2012 02:43:26 pm
      Pleasure and pain leaves Liverpool feeling the cold
      Posted by Kristian Walsh

Shrieks of rapture emanated from the sparsely populated Lokomotiv Stadium with less than added time remaining. Anzhi Makhachkala, whose only experience of Europe before this season was a first-round exit to Rangers in 2001, were about to dispose of five-time champions of Europe, Liverpool. Their greatest day was about to conclude. How the meagre have risen; how the mighty have fallen.

As the rouble dropped for the supporters of Anzhi on what they had achieved, Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers will have surveyed his surroundings carefully. As special as this moment was for the Russian side, this could have been anywhere for Rodgers and Liverpool: Rotterdam, Rome, West Bromwich, Anfield.

It’s been a topsy-turvy reign so far; it’s been a topsy-turvy group. But amidst the cold, hard facts at the freezing winter midnight hour, a glimmer of hope once more. Déjà vu, this time against the Dagestanians. A performance which the result failed to correlate with; they won a few wars, but the battle was lost once more.

And with that, Liverpool’s sadomasochistic affair with the Europa League continues. Though this is the second-tier of European football officially, and many notches below for some clubs mentally, it is still a tough prospect, a competition to tire the body and mind. It is one that features Christopher Samba or Danilo in defence; it is one that features Lacina Traore, Antonio Di Natale or Samuel Eto’o in attack.

Taking a young, inexperienced side to the depths of Moscow against an expensively-assembled side verges on the illegal. Conor Coady will recall to his grandchildren the biting wind and the biting tackles of Mehdi Carcela-Gonzalez; Jon Flanagan will wince as he reminisces about his late night in the Russian capital and the uncompromising Rasim Tagirbekov. Names they will remember, though not entirely pronounceable. But with the pain comes pleasure, like any good sadomasochist: pleasure for Coady and Flanagan, making their European debuts; pleasure for Rodgers, who saw both acquit themselves well.

Both will be hoping their performances can provide a springboard, much like it did for Raheem Sterling and Andre Wisdom after their showings against Hearts and Young Boys Bern respectively. If the Europa League is now a stage school for fringe players and youngsters, consider some granted call-backs. It’s just a pity both Coady and Flanagan serve areas so replenished already.

They were not the only ones to catch the eye. Wisdom impressed in the more familiar role of centre back, his largely successful duel with the Traore-Eto’o duo belying his 19 years and 11 senior appearances. Adam Morgan showed flashes up front with his movement instinctive and work ethic impeccable. The two senior players, Jamie Carragher and Stewart Downing, were admirable in their babysitting.

This competition is very much an opportunity for Rodgers to experiment, evidenced by Coady and Flanagan making it 30 different players used in Europe this season by Liverpool. With six points from a possible 12, he’s still to find the right formula. What cannot be measured is the experience gained by these players. Devoid of atmosphere the stadium may have been, but it was an exercise more worthwhile than any under-21 fixture, played in front of a smattering of disinterested applause.

Not that there was much of a choice. With 11 points from 10 Premier League games, Rodgers swiped the passports of Luis Suarez, Steven Gerrard, Joe Allen and several other first-team players – an interesting change of personnel, given the strength of the team that started the reverse fixture two weeks earlier at Anfield with the Merseyside derby 72 hours later. With several of the first-team back at the club’s Melwood training ground, this is what Rodgers was left with. He did well with what he had, showing pragmatism at a level reached only in the second half against Everton; each player was in a role that, in theory, played to their strengths. Even Joe Cole, until that pesky phenomenon of cardiovascular fitness took its toll, looked lively.

But it was still a defeat. Déjà vu, this time against the Dagestanians. A performance which the result failed to correlate with. Proof is not needed on how far Liverpool have fallen in three years, but sadomasochism reigns supreme: against PSV Eindhoven in December 2009, a second-string including Daniel Agger, Lucas Leiva, Albert Riera and Robbie Keane won 3-1. The second-string of 2012, a kaleidoscope of raw youngsters, younger players failing to establish themselves and overpaid, underplayed parasites on the wage bill. Each twist reveals a further reason why the squad needs more investment, in January and beyond.

Rodgers will look at both sides. He will take heart from the performance of some, but will wonder whether consistency will follow; he will despair at the showing of others, but will facilitate their involvement because he has little other option. He will look at the cameo of Suso through the centre, with the Spaniard’s hair and mind flowing as one, the blood through his veins matching the sub-zero temperature on the ground; he will look at that flowing tranquillity, coupled with the unlikely bedfellow of irrepressible alacrity, and know it is not possible on the right of midfield in a Premier League game. He will know Suso central could be the answer – he just is not sure what the question is just yet.

More questions than answers, much like how it has been throughout the season. It’s unfair to expect them at this early stage, and it is good for Liverpool that there are questions being asked. They need to be. When the shrieks of rapture die down and Moscow to Makhachkala falls silent, Anzhi will realise what they achieved was not so special after all. So will Brendan Rodgers, who knows he has work to do, both to qualify from this Europa League group and restore Liverpool to where he wants them to be.

It’s going to take a lot of graft; a lot of pain, even. Rodgers must be relishing it.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/liverpool/id/266?cc=5739
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #407: Nov 09, 2012 02:58:56 pm
      I thought we were very timid in the first half. Very timid. Unfortunate that is was Coates who made the mistake, but credit to Traore for both a great touch and a class finish over Jones. Henderson has GOT to shoot on his opportunity. I understand why he passed back, but in that scenario he needed to fake a ball across the middle and shoot near post. I think the keeper could have been beaten.

We definitely improved once Suso came on and played centrally, and if we had a full-strength squad, we would have won this game. I thought a draw would have been great for the team, but unfortunately we couldn't grab an equalizer. To be fair though, Anzhi had a number of good opportunities to further their lead.

I thought Coady looked tidy in midfield. He had a good game.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #408: Nov 09, 2012 02:59:24 pm
      Wisdom had Henderson and Morgan in front of him who were not showing, it was either pass to the centre to Coady ( who had a fine game or me ) or backwards. Can't blame the lad for that.
      Point taken CH , its just he started the season bursting forward when he could and caused problems in their half down that right hand side..Ive just noticed these last few games he's not been as offensive as (I think) he should be...
      I just hope his youthful enthusiasm isn't being brainwashed away with that Passbackitis syndrome I'm seeing a lot of..
      waz112003
      • Banned

• 70 posts |
      Reply #409: Nov 09, 2012 03:08:14 pm
      Disappointed with the result but performance was very good on a really difficult pitch. I thought the players gave everything in the game but then we made a bad mistake and got punished. I thought Joe Cole did very well. His movement was good and it looked more like what Joe Cole can produce in terms of the final third but we must be more clinical in our finish. It's a very tight group. It was always going to go down to the last game. The next one is now a big game for us now against Young Boys which we have to win to progress to round 32 so i hopefully Brendan Rodgers bring his big boys on for the Young Boys game...
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #410: Nov 09, 2012 03:12:01 pm
      Jones had a good game looked assured. Thought coates was at fault for the first goal maybe carragher as well for been to far away from his defensive partner to cover
      If Jones had confidence in either Coates or Carragher he may very well have held his line, as it was they both looked in need of assistance.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #411: Nov 09, 2012 03:59:45 pm
      How many goalkeeps stay on their lines these days? not many if any.
      I think Jones has perofrmed well as a back up to Pepe and hopefully Pepe will come back refreshed ready for the fight.
      Carragher and Coates hav e one thing in common...no pace.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #412: Nov 09, 2012 04:05:23 pm
      Carragher and Coates have one thing in common...no pace.

Ain't that the truth! Coates' reading of the game is good, but that's also a drawback of his style. If someone gets passed him, they're in on goal easy. He needs a quick CB partner for it to be the best.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,480 posts | 231 
      Reply #413: Nov 09, 2012 04:36:29 pm
      Ain't that the truth! Coates' reading of the game is good, but that's also a drawback of his style. If someone gets passed him, they're in on goal easy. He needs a quick CB partner for it to be the best.

Some of the best defenders who have played had little pace. E.g. Sami Hyppia, Fabio Cannavaro, Tony Adams

*Cough* Someone needs to put up a matchday thread for Sunday...
      « Last Edit: Nov 09, 2012 05:17:07 pm by nelioneil »

Quick Reply