Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Share Available in Real Oviedo as Club Fights For Survival

Read 3263 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Share Available in Real Oviedo as Club Fights For Survival
      Nov 08, 2012 04:53:30 pm
      Club needs 2 Million in two weeks.
      Shares have been made available and ex players Mata, Michu and Cazorla have bought shares.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20255697?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Swansea's Michu answers Real Oviedo plea for survival

Swansea City's Michu has become a shareholder of his home-town club Real Oviedo in Spain in a bid to keep them in business.
      Oviedo is one of Spain's most historic clubs but reportedly need to raise 2m euros within a fortnight to survive.

The Swans' top scorer has been joined by two other former Oviedo stars, Chelsea's Juan Mata and Arsenal's Santi Cazorla, as shareholders.
      REAL OVIEDO: Did you know?

Founded 1926.
      Play in blue shirts and white shorts.
      Play at the 30,500 seater Estadio Carlos.

The team gained success because of their revolutionary approach to football tactics in 1933-36. Their attacking quartet of Emilín, Galé, Herrerita and Isidro Lángara as well as Casuco and Ricardo Gallart were dubbed Delanteras Eléctricas ("The electric forwards") and modernised the game with their pace and running off the ball, sharp passing and one-touch football.

Are ranked 17th in the all-time league table for la Liga in Spain.

The club was forced to drop all the way to the fourth division of Spanish football due it's financial problems for the 2003-04 season.
      Stan Collymore, the former Liverpool and England striker, made three appearances for the club in 2001.

"We just wanted to try to help save the club we all played for," said Michu.

"Myself, Mata and Cazorla have all bought shares, but it would be wrong of me to say how much.''

Oviedo, who play in Spain's third tier Segunda B, revealed it may be forced to shut its doors following financial hardship and the economic crisis in Spain.
      The former La Liga outfit is trying to raise much-needed funds and capital to stay in business and survive.

Michu started his career at Real Oviedo, his local club in northern Spain, at five years old and stayed there until he was 21, playing over 100 games, but money problems saw them slip down the leagues.

He left to join Celta Vigo in 2007 but says his bond with his hometown club is still strong.

"The economy in Spain is very bad and the club needs around two million euros to survive," said Michu, who joined Swansea just £2m from Rayo Vallecano in July.
      "A lot of people have bought shares and hopefully it will be enough by the closing date of November 17.

"It's my local club, a club I love, so I hope it will be enough."

Michu believes Swansea fans will understand his desire to keep his former club afloat after the supporters of the Welsh club did the same a decade ago.

"Swansea fans should know how much it means to me and the Oviedo supporters," said Michu.

"I remember reading up on the history of Swansea when I first arrived here; I remember reading how the Swansea supporters bought shares in this club when it was in trouble 10 years ago - and again many years before that.

"And look at the club now; in the Premier League and winning at places like Anfield. Hopefully this SOS can have a similar reaction.''
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Re: Share Available in Real Oviedo as Club Fights For Survival
      Reply #1: Nov 12, 2012 11:33:03 pm
      Was gonna do that myself.

Real Madrid have given them €100,000 too.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #2: Nov 13, 2012 06:21:47 am
      Was gonna do that myself.

Real Madrid have given them €100,000 too.
      *Snort* Well that's big of them.  It's probably some of the money we are paying to have Sahin run around during Prem matches looking clueless.

It is a sad story and one I think we'll see alot of in the next few years.  Some may slag our owners off at the drop of a hat, but at least we are far apart from this scenario (considering where we were a couple of years ago).
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #3: Nov 14, 2012 11:53:48 am
      Just purchased some shares myself.

Hopefully they raise the required amount by the 17th.

Enter the EU they say!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #4: Nov 14, 2012 12:00:44 pm
      They got more at home last weekend than Mallorca did for their game against Barcelona, a few spanish players have chipped in. Personally I blame Stan Collymore for their problems....
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #5: Nov 16, 2012 09:32:01 pm
      Danny Maher ‏@WombRaider91
      Santi Cazorla and Juan Mata both saved their first club, Real Oviedo, today. Both donated €700,000 each to pay off €1.5m debt. #Respect

Respect to them if that's true.  :gt-happyup:
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #6: Nov 17, 2012 08:09:28 am
      Respect to them players .
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #7: Nov 17, 2012 10:24:24 am
      I bought a share. Thought it was interesting more than anything!

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #8: Nov 17, 2012 12:37:51 pm
      Mata & Cazorla didn't donate that money, it was money owed to the club from their transfers. They did however, along with Michu & Adrian, purchase shares in the club to help them along.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #9: Nov 17, 2012 02:42:21 pm
      Mata & Cazorla didn't donate that money, it was money owed to the club from their transfers. They did however, along with Michu & Adrian, purchase shares in the club to help them along.

Ah right. That sounds much more like it.

At least they helped out, though.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #10: Nov 17, 2012 05:20:05 pm
      Ah right. That sounds much more like it.

At least they helped out, though.

Exactly,

As the saying goes, every little helps!
      Bleed-LFC
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 200 posts |
      Reply #11: Nov 18, 2012 09:20:14 am
      Looks like they've been saved from bankruptcy.

World's richest man saves Spanish soccer club
      November 18, 2012 -- Updated 0008 GMT (0808 HKT)

Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim invested in Real Oviedo after fans came close to reaching required fundraising targets.
      STORY HIGHLIGHTS
      Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim invests $2.5 million in struggling Spanish club
      Slim was impressed by efforts of fans who bought shares to save Real Oviedo
      The third division club had a November 17 deadline to avoid extinction
      Slim plans to create "synergies between Spanish, Mexican and Latin American football"
      (CNN) -- Real Madrid and Barcelona both comfortably won on Saturday, but for once Spain's two most dominant football clubs were overshadowed by a third-tier team which has been saved from extinction after receiving a huge injection of cash from the world's richest man, Carlos Slim.
      Just over a decade ago Real Oviedo played in La Liga alongside Real and Barca, but mismanagement from the club's directors took the Asturian team to the brink of bankruptcy in recent years.
      Needing to raise €1.9 million ($2.4 million) by November 17 or go bust, Oviedo's current board announced a share issue earlier this month to attract investment.
      Remarkably the scheme took off as fans from all over the world bought the €11 ($13) shares after Oviedo's precarious position was highlighted on the social media website Twitter thanks to the efforts of Spanish football expert and long-time Oviedo supporter Sid Lowe.
      Read: 'Monsters' Barca and Real hurting La Liga
      Over the past two weeks those fans have bought more than $1.9 million in new shares in the club, and Slim was so impressed -- he described the gesture as "extraordinary" -- that the Mexican tycoon has now pumped in a further $2.5 million to become Oviedo's majority shareholder.
       Real Oviedo's fight for survival
       Spanish football hit by sponsorship cutbacks
       Dortmund's training pays dividends
       The rise and rise of Sergio Perez
      "This challenge and ambition is strictly a sports investment and one that looks to benefit the club and its fans,'' said an Oviedo statement regarding Slim's intervention.
      "(The investment) will try to support Oviedo's players so they can reach their goals and the club can reach the division that corresponds to its history and values.''
      In September Slim bought 30% stakes in two Mexican football teams, Pachuca and Leon, and he plans to use Oviedo "to create synergies and exchanges between Spanish, Mexican and Latin American football.''
      Read: Can Twitter help save Spanish soccer club?
      According to Forbes magazine, Slim is the world's richest person with a net worth of $69 billion, having made his fortune in the telecommunications industry.
      His widespread interests include providing financial backing for Mexican Formula One driver Sergio Perez.
      "Naturally, I have reservations, doubts & concerns," tweeted Lowe on Saturday. "But with c. €2m of shares bought by 13,000+ ppl round world & Slim buying €2m Oviedo safe."
      "€1.93m raised by small shareholders alone," added Lowe. "They're the real heroes."
      Meanwhile, La Liga leaders Barcelona beat Real Zaragoza 3-1 to move six points clear of Atletico Madrid, who travel to Granada on Sunday.
      Lionel Messi scored two more goals to move to 78 for this calendar year, putting the Argentina star seven short of Gerd Muller's all-time record.
      Champions Real Madrid trounced Athletic Bilbao 5-1 to stay third, six points behind their arch-rivals.
      Cristiano Ronaldo played despite the eye injury he suffered last weekend, but this time the Portugal star was unable to add to his scoring tally as the spoils were shared by Karim Benzema, Sergio Ramos, Mesut Ozil and Sami Khedira after an early own-goal by Jon Aurtenetxe.
      In Italy, leaders Juventus were held to a 0-0 draw by fifth-placed Lazio.
      Second-placed Inter Milan can close to within two points of the Serie A champions by beating Cagliari on Sunday.
      Napoli joined Inter on 27 points after being held 2-2 by AC Milan, who came from two goals down as young striker Stephan El Shaarawy netted twice.
      In Germany, Bayern Munich moved eight points clear despite being held 1-1 away to struggling Bavarian rivals Nuremberg.
      Second-placed Schalke failed to take advantage, losing 2-0 at Bayer Leverkusen.
      Eintracht Frankfurt stayed third after a 4-2 win at home to Augsburg, a point above champions Borussia Dortmund -- who beat Greuther Furth 3-1.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/17/sport/football/carlos-slim-oviedo-football/index.html?eref=igoogledmn_topstories

Quick Reply