Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Brad Jones
      12 (10.4%)
      Jose Enrique
      61 (53%)
      Raheem Sterling
      3 (2.6%)
      Luis Suarez
      28 (24.3%)
      Someone else
      11 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Voting closed: Nov 14, 2012 07:11:46 pm

Chelsea 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Relief?

Read 40788 times
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Re: Chelsea 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Relief?
      Reply #713: Nov 11, 2012 08:45:31 pm
      To be honest thought we were shocking first half ,for all the stick Stevie has taken this year were it not for him our midfield would be toothless ,Allen just isn,t doing it for me ,as much as we miss Lucas i hope he is given the time to slot in and not rushed back ,with him back it will allow Stevie to get further up the field ,and support Luis , the kids are doing a good job considering they have been tossed in the deep end ,they will make mistakes but they shouldnt get slaughtered for it,,Enrique had his best game in over a year time to keep it going now lad,Carra well just a blast from the past fcked up on times but more than made up for it ,can still marshall a defence ,
      Luis Suarez drive and determination personified ,surely it can only be good for our kids to play with him if half of what he has rubs off on them we will be ok , a point well earnt  ,but Rodgers needs to start winning or the pressure will mount on him , good shout for the change of system but should have done it earlier.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #714: Nov 11, 2012 08:50:16 pm
      Didn't see the second half cos I had a match myself. Can't believe we get a point tbh. The first half was dire
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #715: Nov 11, 2012 08:59:16 pm
      Pretty poor until we scored, and then suddenly pretty good.
      Wasn't just the  psychological effect of scoring, chelsea had been sitting in and looking to hit on the break (and looked quite dangerous when they did break). Once we equalised and they had to come up the park we suddenly started finding space in behind them.

Don't like the 3 at the back formation - why go out of our way to play Enrique? He was a lot better than he was last game right enough, but that wouldn't be hard. But basically I just don't like chopping and changing at the back. The return to a back four was part of the reason why we started playing better.

Still baffled as to why no Assaidi - he was fantastic in Europe a few weeks ago and hasn't appeared since. He was on the bench so apparently not injured. Worried that we might do a Michael Owen on Sterling and play him too much too young, don't want him becoming injury prone. Rodgers should be mixing it up more between using him, Assaidi and Suso imo.

Thought Carragher was excellent, and that knee scare seemed to wake Stevie G up - his passing was suddenly brilliant.

Decent point,  performance overall not great, but not terrible either.

Wonder how much Chelsea would take for Torres at this point haha? Half serious about that by the way.
      (Also, wonder what Fulham would take for Berbatov?)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #716: Nov 11, 2012 09:04:51 pm
       I think we did well to come away with a point but we were hardly in the game in the first half.Allen needs to toughen up a bit and I was worried with Wisdom and the way he tends to backpass to Jones and get into trouble.Hopefully with time and experience he will sort this out.I went for a 1-1 draw in the prediction league but would gladly have conceded a correct score if we had scored a second goal and won.
      Go Ed Avi Lad
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #717: Nov 11, 2012 09:18:07 pm
      Pleased with how the boss changed things in the second half as he has done already a couple of times this season.  Next step, of course, is to get to positions in games where we don't need to change things, but that will come. 

Can't knock Enrique's enthusiasm, pace, and power (Christ, I sound like Jocky Hansen) but his distribution is still a bit wayward at times.  He works bloody hard to win the ball then  gives it away stupidly.  Trying too hard, just no good at it, or colour blind?  We should be able to call a time out when he wins the ball then restart with someone who can pass it properly. ;D

Sterling linked well with Suarez for a change, for me they've been playing as a pair of individuals in the last few games but today they dovetailed quite well.
      Stevie was much better second half, ironically much better after his injury.
      Jonesey was solid but still lacks Pepe's distribution abilities.
      Glen was excellent, on both sides of the defence.
      Carra was Carra - quick to read and react but easily turned and getting slower as the game proceeds.  Excellent assist though, footballing brain to the fore and kept El Ninny quiet throughout.
      Joe was poor first half, much more effective second half.  I think he'll thrive with Lucas behind him.
      Sahin was poor first half and poor second half.  He's off the pace, again maybe Lucas's presence will assist by giving the team time to think and not be so rushed.
      Luis was superb again.  Took his goal well, could have lobbed Cech rather than trying to go round, but what do I know?

All in all we've played better and got bugger all.    We have to be happy with a point and happy that we're disappointed we didn't nick it at the end.
      Lets hope Stevie's too injured to play against Sweden but not too injured to face Wigan.
      Fowler kop hero
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      Reply #718: Nov 11, 2012 09:26:56 pm
      Also, Sahin was laughably bad.

I'd have pissed myself if he was playing in blue not red today.

Sahin is rubbish. Brings nothing to the team.

Glad to get the point very poor first half but the lads fought and kept in it! Could have won it near the end!!
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #719: Nov 11, 2012 09:38:52 pm
      Shocking 1st half
      Much improved in the 2nd thank God
      Sahin was truly woeful reminded me of Aquilani
      Get Suso or Shelvey in before him please Brendan
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #720: Nov 11, 2012 09:40:41 pm
      Whatever about the results, think we are definately starting to play better football. Thought we looked the more accomplished side today (bit surprised at some of the reaction). Thought we passed it better in our 2 thirds of the pitch, we're looking more comfortable on the ball, in tight spaces, and are supporting the player in possesion far better that pre-Rodgers. We're a bit toothless in the last 3rd but we know we don't have the options up front just now. Chelsea I think had less possesion but looked more dangerous in the final 3rd - apart from Torres that is who looks like a moody child.
      Sterling is playing well, fair play to him, but is still a tad light. Suso looks an average player (so far), Sahin has a bit more to him but needs a more bite in his play to really effect the midfield - could take a leaf out of Glen or Enrique's books today.
      It's frustrating at the moment, the problems in attack, and I'm sure Rodgers is frustrated too. In saying that, he brought in Borini who cost a few bob and hasn't really impressed yet (even before injury) - so when he does sign, he needs to make the right choices.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #721: Nov 11, 2012 09:41:36 pm
      We were fortunate to leave that match with one point.

First half was nothing short of embarrassing for all involved. Second half we were playing of a team befitting of their 13th place and looking like we were comfortable to sit there, as I said very fortunate to come away with the point.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #722: Nov 11, 2012 09:49:25 pm

First half was nothing short of embarrassing for all involved. Second half we were playing of a team befitting of their 13th place and looking like we were comfortable to sit there, as I said very fortunate to come away with the point.
      Think that's a bit harsh, first half I agree was dire. 2nd half though we picked it up and playing with a bit more urgency. Not great by any means and not our best performance, but despite that we could have actually nicked a win at the end. Getting a point at Stamford Bridge is a decent result all things considered.

If we had one more player who could really make things happen then we'll be a different team altogether, just got to keep our fingers crossed that that man arrives in Jan.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #723: Nov 11, 2012 10:23:03 pm
      Think that's a bit harsh, first half I agree was dire. 2nd half though we picked it up and playing with a bit more urgency. Not great by any means and not our best performance, but despite that we could have actually nicked a win at the end. Getting a point at Stamford Bridge is a decent result all things considered.

If we had one more player who could really make things happen then we'll be a different team altogether, just got to keep our fingers crossed that that man arrives in Jan.

What constitutes "really make things happen" though? You will be in for a rude shock if you think when or who ever comes in January will wave a magic wand and propell us to the top of the table. Alot of the things that were dire in the match i.e. passing, positioning and movement or lack of in all 3 cases are retrospective of a player coming in January. The basics let us down you can't buy desire and there was a lack of it as I said we looked a team who has conceded resignation to mid table in that match.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #724: Nov 11, 2012 10:29:41 pm
      Really difficult game for us like. Happy to come away with a point away to european champions, regardless of circumstances. Felt the same way with Newcastle last week, when we got the equalizer we looked very promising to snatch the victory but just couldnt. Very strange game in player performances, maybe due to the change in formation but for me Allen had his worst game in a Liverpool shirt, Gerrard an Sahin rather sloppy. Suso did bring some stability to the team like, but huge credit to Enrique, always challenging the play an winning the ball, also played a good few important breakaway passes like but think he just lacked a bit of pace. Carragher was also very good, dealt with Torres really well an in his post-match interview I almost shed a tear with him coming to terms with his position at Liverpool, will always be loved by us all!

Anyway, onto the shape of our season. Sitting in 12/13 place if I remember right? About 10 points a-drift from top 4? After 11 games that is very dissapointing, but under the circumstances it actually aint as bad as it seems. We have played City, United, Arsenal, Newcastle, Everton an Chelsea soo far which is about half of the way through the first round of games if you like. We SHOULD win all of the remaining games up until christmas (maybe with the exception of Spurs) but as we know this isnt always the case. But I think we cant really evaluate our position for another 4/5 more games at least! New style, new philosophy, new manager, it will take time, patience is a virtue. Onwards and upwards for us! YNWA
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #725: Nov 11, 2012 10:31:46 pm
      What constitutes "really make things happen" though? You will be in for a rude shock if you think when or who ever comes in January will wave a magic wand and propell us to the top of the table. Alot of the things that were dire in the match i.e. passing, positioning and movement or lack of in all 3 cases are retrospective of a player coming in January. The basics let us down you can't buy desire and there was a lack of it as I said we looked a team who has conceded resignation to mid table in that match.
      I've put something in the transfer rumours thread, as in that game today (and others this season,) it's really highlighted how much we need a player in the final third who can unlock a defence, too often we get into that final third and look clueless and have nothing to really frighten the opposition with and we end up going sideways or backwards, keeping possession for the sake of it.

I agree regarding desire to a degree, however what I would say is Shelvey is a player who does show that desire and when Lucas gets back fit, we'll be a much better team. The right additions in January and I think we could make a march on towards European qualification, but it's about getting the right players and not just spunking the money on no marks who aren't interested.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #726: Nov 11, 2012 10:42:29 pm

I wouldn't quite go that far. Up until our goal, I'd agree with you, then, strangely, it swung in Liverpool's favour and we could have won the game. We do need to improve though, striker needed or not. Some promising signs though for all the bad play, foremost amongst them the bodies in the box when attacking. First time this has happened this season. Our set pieces are chronic though. They need to practice taking corners.

Let's be honest with ourselves, 1-1 against European Champions who spent more on one player than BR's entire Summer transfer kitty would be a good result if we'd had a better start to the season that we have.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #727: Nov 11, 2012 11:10:01 pm
      just an after-thought having watched motd2. i thought, for once, the referee officiated the match well. i always thought howard webb was a good ref (he's had a few bad moments mind you) but today i thought he officiated fairly, professionally, and in good spirit. hope that's an example to the legion of egoistic poor refs out there.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #728: Nov 11, 2012 11:21:26 pm
      just an after-thought having watched motd2. i thought, for once, the referee officiated the match well. i always thought howard webb was a good ref (he's had a few bad moments mind you) but today i thought he officiated fairly, professionally, and in good spirit. hope that's an example to the legion of egoistic poor refs out there.

Well he's certainly ahead of other refs in the assists column, gave them a good helping hand for their goal today.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #729: Nov 11, 2012 11:28:08 pm

That's because we weren't playing United ;)
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #730: Nov 11, 2012 11:40:13 pm
      Well he's certainly ahead of other refs in the assists column, gave them a good helping hand for their goal today.

true, don't think he knew much about it. he got the major decisions right though. the next few games all look winnable, with the exception of tottenham. onwards and upwards - how many times have we said that? NEEED A STRIIIIKER!!!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #731: Nov 12, 2012 12:20:09 am
      Some staggeringly negative posts. All the Chelsea fans I spoke to said a draw was fair enough and that by the games end, there was only going to be one winner. Very odd.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #732: Nov 12, 2012 12:26:30 am
      BR should give the license to the lads to roam and express themselves while retaining the shape of the team and I saw that in the secod half and Chelsea was rattled in some ways. If the lads were a bit more experience Chelsea would have been buried. It's no shame at all coming away from the Bridge with a point. It's easy to criticise Enrique when he was taking the lead to charge forward and defended the goal tirelessly while some others prefer to do the simpler things, as a result his mistakes will be more glaring than others. Enrique scorching backwards and forwards on the wings with full determination and competitiveness is all I'm asking from the rest of the lads in their respective position. Ok, we may not be one of the most skilful team around but we can compensate that with grit and determination.

Happy to see that Sterling, Suso and even Enrique getting into shooting positions around the box, that's what BR should continue to develope and there's really nothing he can do about the short of striking options between now and January, might as well work on an effective makeshift striking options between now and then.

Allen  had an average game, Can't say he's poor and can't say he's great either. I think he has problems adapting to a faster pace of the game. If he could do so, he'll be immense. I'm more happy to see a high tempo game then tiki-taka at the moment and in today's game it has rattled Chelsea and on occassions their defence were in sixes and sevens. Jamie on the field helps Wisdom a lot and he can only benefit from there.
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #733: Nov 12, 2012 01:29:06 am
      BR should give the license to the lads to roam and express themselves while retaining the shape of the team and I saw that in the secod half and Chelsea was rattled in some ways. If the lads were a bit more experience Chelsea would have been buried. It's no shame at all coming away from the Bridge with a point. It's easy to criticise Enrique when he was taking the lead to charge forward and defended the goal tirelessly while some others prefer to do the simpler things, as a result his mistakes will be more glaring than others. Enrique scorching backwards and forwards on the wings with full determination and competitiveness is all I'm asking from the rest of the lads in their respective position. Ok, we may not be one of the most skilful team around but we can compensate that with grit and determination.

Happy to see that Sterling, Suso and even Enrique getting into shooting positions around the box, that's what BR should continue to develope and there's really nothing he can do about the short of striking options between now and January, might as well work on an effective makeshift striking options between now and then.

Allen  had an average game, Can't say he's poor and can't say he's great either. I think he has problems adapting to a faster pace of the game. If he could do so, he'll be immense. I'm more happy to see a high tempo game then tiki-taka at the moment and in today's game it has rattled Chelsea and on occassions their defence were in sixes and sevens. Jamie on the field helps Wisdom a lot and he can only benefit from there.

Completely agree on Enrique and was about to say the same thing myself.

Enrique, for all his mistakes, at least seems willing to run himself ragged in an effort to get into the game. Too many of our players don't insist on being involved. He does overdribble and his distribution isn't the best, but I didn't see anyone else out there forcing the issue and leading the attack. It's the same reason I rate Shelvey over Henderson. Henderson won't give the ball away, but he won't risk doing anything positive either. With Shelvey you get both good and bad, but at least he strives to make an impact.

I didn't like that Enrique seemed to be the one running our attack, we really should have someone else running the show, but I give him all the credit for the effort and drive that he showed.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #734: Nov 12, 2012 03:12:48 am
      First half wasn't good at all and we were fortunate to go in 1-0 down. Awful defending from Agger to allow Terry that much space for a header. Second half was much improved and Suso, much like in midweek, completely transformed the game for me. It's frightening that he's 18 years old. We could've nicked it at the end too.

Jones was very secure in his handling throughout and made a few good saves to deny Torres. Johnson was excellent as always but again won't get any praise from the media because of the ongoing myth about his defensive frailties. Enrique was phenomenal and deserves to keep his place against Wigan. Back 3 were relatively safe and Carragher was fantastic in leading them.

In midfield Sahin was awful, just doesn't look up to the pace of it at all. Allen didn't have one of his better games either but think people are being a little harsh on him. Read a stat that he was dispossessed 3 times, the most he's been dispossessed this season. Stevie was decent in midfield and much better than he has been thus far this season. Sterling had a good game too and caused a few problems for the Chelsea defence, still unsure of his best position though. Luis linked the play up well and got his usual goal.

Good result at the end of the day. Enrique MOTM.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #735: Nov 12, 2012 06:07:40 am
      Good points: Gerrard, Suarez, Jones!, Agger and Johnson
      Bad points Wisom, Allen!, Sahin(not in good position), Carra(logic though),

In brief missed Lucas as usual, but we need at least 2 very good goalscorers/wingers in January and hope Lucas returns to full fitness soon.
      Enrique did many mistakes but tried his best, can't rate him. My MOTM was Jones, Reina would have conceded 3 goals yesterday

Quick Reply