Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

The best you've seen

Read 11716 times
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      The best you've seen
      Nov 12, 2012 11:38:58 pm
      I'd like to know the best home grow player you think we've produced in your own time of watching the reds. Would like opinions please in wake of the bunch of young fledglings we've currently got breaking into the team. Also state when you started watching Liverpool so I can get an idea of the lads you've seen cut there teeth.

Me

First game Oxford @ home 1987.

For me as far as immediate impact it has to GOD himself Robbie Fowler.

But if we're talking over a career got to be the legend Stevie G.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Re: The best you've seen
      Reply #1: Nov 12, 2012 11:50:27 pm
      First game 1981 5 Sep against Arsenal

I was only 8 but can clearly remember both goals being scored and everyone going mental and I could see a thing for ages.

We won 2-0 - Terry Mac scored just before halftime then David Johnson just before full time

Best young player to come through the system is Gerrard by a mile.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #2: Nov 12, 2012 11:55:27 pm
      Nice one George I can still remember the whole experience, was 9 myself was the first home game of the season because of the broken sewer under Kop. We sat on Kemlyn Road my dad didn't want me standing! :(

Who's the best youth/academy player we've produced then George in your lifetime as a red.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #3: Nov 12, 2012 11:57:52 pm
      First game, Liverpool vs FC Haka, 2001, Champions League Qualifier.

Finished 4-1, can't remember all the scorers, but I know Fowler and Redknapp bagged one each, was in the Centenary with my Dad.

Best player to come through the system would be Gerrard as I'm sure everyone will say, but a massive nod towards my favourite ever player Robbie Fowler!
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #4: Nov 12, 2012 11:58:04 pm
      Nice one George I can still remember the whole experience, was 9 myself was the first home game of the season because of the broken sewer under Kop. We sat on Kemlyn Road my dad didn't want me standing! :(

Who's the best youth/academy player we've produced then George in your lifetime as a red.

Gerrard by a mile.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #5: Nov 13, 2012 12:02:24 am
      I will be absolutely astonished if I see another homegrown player come out of the club with greater talent than Gerrard in my lifetime.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #6: Nov 13, 2012 12:02:30 am
      Can't fault you still save my biggest cheer for him when team gets read out even though Suarez gets said last.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #7: Nov 13, 2012 12:06:21 am
      What about for immediate impact George & Danny would you agree with me that Fowler was the best or still Stevie. For career there's no contest imo but Fowlers early seasons shade Gerrard for me for immediate impact.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #8: Nov 13, 2012 12:11:56 am
      First game Tottenham away I think, first game of the season in 2004.

Best is Gerrard no doubt. Though I loved Carra in his prime, world class.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #9: Nov 13, 2012 12:12:35 am
      Fowler scored on his debut then scored 5 in one game two weeks later !!! You don't get a bigger impact than that
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #10: Nov 13, 2012 12:17:28 am
      Fowler scored on his debut then scored 5 in one game two weeks later !!! You don't get a bigger impact than that

;D
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #11: Nov 13, 2012 12:18:28 am
      First game Tottenham away I think, first game of the season in 2004.

Best is Gerrard no doubt. Though I loved Carra in his prime, world class.

Cisse's debut??
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #12: Nov 13, 2012 12:20:59 am
      Yeah
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #13: Nov 13, 2012 06:50:26 am
      First game was May 1987, Watford at Anfield.

Has to be between Fowler and Gerrard. Robbie's impact was huge at the time, thinking back I just remember all this talk of a small young Scouse kid coming through the ranks who was just lethal in front of goal. For the first few seasons, for me, one of the best finishers in Europe until the injuries started to effect him on a regular basis.

But Stevie has to take it, just because he produced at such a consistantly high level over such a long time. I cant see anyone else coming to close to be honest.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #14: Nov 13, 2012 07:20:09 am
       I have seen some greats in my years of watching the REDS but the greatest of them all has to be my hero the late great Billy Liddell.Some might argue that Billy was not home grown but I will present my case as I see it.Billy was signed from Lochgelly Violet as an amateur at the tender age of 16 in 1938 which happens to be the year I was born.I first saw Billy play in 1947 and I can honestly say I have never seen a player give as much for Liverpool Football Club as he did,he was so versatile and played across the whole forward line in the days when we had 5 forwards.He won a 1st division winners medal in 1947  and played at Wembley in the 1950 F.A.Cup loss to Arsenal.He played for Scotland and was selected twice to play for Great Britain  against the Rest Of Europe.Billy retired in May 1961and I thank my lucky stars that I was fortunate enough to see him play his heart out for our club.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #15: Nov 13, 2012 07:34:36 am
      Fowler is a favourite of mine but Gerrard is by some distance the best homegrown player to come through the system.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #16: Nov 13, 2012 07:44:20 am
      We've had some wonderful talent come through..

Impact wise then yes Fowler, scoring all 5 against Fulham at Anfield ( and if I remember rightly they included a right foot, left foot and header) and he got what 18- 20 goals debut season?

Even though he isn't thought of well now, but Owen had a great impact immediately as well.. Didn't he score at Wimbledon on his debut? And he got 20+ in his first full season

Mcmanaman... Another great kid to come through..

Carra...utter ledge

But it has to be Stevie, we talk about him now as in the top two with Kenny to ever pull on the shirt.. For the career he has had it has to be him
      I was at his debut against Blackburn (only came on late) and at his first goal ( if I remember rightly) against SheffWednesday... Cracking goal it was too.. He came off the bench at the same time as young David Thompson that game.. At right back as well I think

Utter legend of the club.

But I did love Fowler
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #17: Nov 13, 2012 07:54:43 am
      Think Carras first goal was against Villa when he was playing as a defensive cm in his first start - great header

And Gerrards against Sheff Wed was quality
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #18: Nov 13, 2012 07:56:52 am
      Voronin.

A joy to watch.

#Sarcasm.

Gerrard, without a doubt.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #19: Nov 13, 2012 07:57:08 am
      I will throw the spanner in the works here and throw in a few names from the 60s who did well for this club and came through the ranks at AnfieldThese players all served the club with distinction and were home grown as far as I am concerned. ,Ronnie Moran,Chris Lawler,Gerry Byrne( if it was not for him we might not of won the F.A.Cup in 1965),Tommy Smith,Ian Callaghan,Roger Hunt and Sammy Lee.
           This is one for Eurored( Skip) Alan A'Court he was 19 when he made his debut and played 355 games and scored 61 goals not bad for a left winger.There are so many players worthy of mention.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #20: Nov 13, 2012 07:57:39 am
      Yeah Carra's was a free header.. Centre of the Kop goal...
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #21: Nov 13, 2012 09:22:56 am
      My first game was in May 1987 at home to Watford. It was Ian Rush's last game at Anfield before he left for Juventus and he signed out with a goal of course. A certain Mr Barnes was playing for Watford that day and as we all know ended up returning a month later to create his own history as a Liverpool player.

Regarding homegrown talent we've been blessed over the years. Fowler literally exploded on to the scene and nobody could believe what they were seeing and Macmanaman for me was an exceptionally exciting player and the type of player you paid to see play. I seen him for the first time as a sub in a League Cup game (I think??) when he came on with Mike Marsh and I remember being really excited by what I'd just saw. If I remember rightly, in the post match interview Marsh was asked who his hero was and he replied 'Macca, Macca's my ero'.

Overall, without question though for me its 1) Gerrard and 2) Carragher. Conspiry theorists love to try and assassinate their characters but they are unbreakable. Not only legends on the field but you can see the way that they are revered and looked up to by team mates of all ages and that tells you a lot.

Just look at Carra's attitude towards the club in the interview after the game on Sunday at Chelsea.

Remember both of their performances in Istanbul? Football's elite from all corners of the world on show but which two guys had the majority of the praise for their performances after the game? The two scousers, that's who.

They are Liverpool Football Club legends.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #22: Nov 13, 2012 01:15:39 pm
      I have seen some greats in my years of watching the REDS but the greatest of them all has to be my hero the late great Billy Liddell.Some might argue that Billy was not home grown but I will present my case as I see it.Billy was signed from Lochgelly Violet as an amateur at the tender age of 16 in 1938 which happens to be the year I was born.I first saw Billy play in 1947 and I can honestly say I have never seen a player give as much for Liverpool Football Club as he did,he was so versatile and played across the whole forward line in the days when we had 5 forwards.He won a 1st division winners medal in 1947  and played at Wembley in the 1950 F.A.Cup loss to Arsenal.He played for Scotland and was selected twice to play for Great Britain  against the Rest Of Europe.Billy retired in May 1961and I thank my lucky stars that I was fortunate enough to see him play his heart out for our club.

Love the post, this was what I was wanting to debate really amongst the fans that go further back to have see Liddell etc, and how they compare him to today's crop of players. The fact he signed at such a young age puts him in the category imo, it's like for example not classing Sterling as our because he actually started at QPR. Wish I could have seen the man in action, I might be totally of the mark but I like to think Gerrard career bears a liking to Billys.

Quick Reply