Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

The best you've seen

Read 11697 times
      Crazy horses
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Re: The best you've seen
      Reply #69: Nov 14, 2012 04:29:37 pm
      Best goalie - Clemence/Pepe (at their best I find it hard t separate them)

Best Defender - Hansen

Best Central Midfielder - Souness

Best Winger/Wide Player - Barnes

Best Striker - Rush

It's hard to claim Pepe as home grown let alone any of the others ;)
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #70: Nov 14, 2012 05:15:26 pm
      It's hard to claim Pepe as home grown let alone any of the others ;)

;D I should have read the thread opening properly...
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #71: Nov 14, 2012 05:16:07 pm
      Best goalie - Clemence/Pepe (at their best I find it hard t separate them)

Best Defender - Hansen

Best Central Midfielder - Souness

Best Winger/Wide Player - Barnes

Best Striker - Rush

Thanks for input mate, but as OP stated it's more about the home grown lads and the one's who made immediate impact. Wanted to see how Gerrard etc are viewed amongst the older generation who saw Liddel etc, break through.

Thats a fair 5 a side you've got there though mate!!!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #72: Nov 14, 2012 08:10:19 pm
      Maybe an adjustment to the thread title would save the mistakes?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #73: Nov 14, 2012 08:21:45 pm
      Not having the benefit that some of you others have, I can say for me, it is undoubtedly Steven Gerrard. One of the main reasons I started supporting Liverpool Football Club to begin with. The leadership, the goals, the bombs from 35 yards out, the ability to drag an entire team from the depths of defeat to victory. The way one player can inspire a team, a manager, and the entire fanbase by just being on the pitch. He's not just one of the greats in the history of this club, he's one of the all-time greats in the history of football.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #74: Nov 14, 2012 08:42:08 pm
      Not having the benefit that some of you others have, I can say for me, it is undoubtedly Steven Gerrard. One of the main reasons I started supporting Liverpool Football Club to begin with. The leadership, the goals, the bombs from 35 yards out, the ability to drag an entire team from the depths of defeat to victory. The way one player can inspire a team, a manager, and the entire fanbase by just being on the pitch. He's not just one of the greats in the history of this club, he's one of the all-time greats in the history of football.
      Well said mate.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #75: Nov 14, 2012 08:43:30 pm
      Maybe an adjustment to the thread title would save the mistakes?
      Not sure how to mate. Would like to think if your looking at topic from new you'd at least look at what I had to say in OP, but I know where you're coming from if they don't read the OP.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #76: Nov 15, 2012 12:35:01 am
      Not sure how to mate. Would like to think if your looking at topic from new you'd at least look at what I had to say in OP, but I know where you're coming from if they don't read the OP.

Got to agree with you there to be fair. Shouldn't have to adjust a thread because people aren't reading your OP
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #77: Nov 15, 2012 06:47:26 pm
      Got to agree with you there to be fair. Shouldn't have to adjust a thread because people aren't reading your OP
      Is it too much to ask people to read the first post to see what the title refers to.
      Nothing wrong with it IMHO.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #78: Nov 15, 2012 09:23:13 pm
      Is it too much to ask people to read the first post to see what the title refers to.

Sadly, for many people, it IS too much to ask! haha
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #79: Nov 15, 2012 09:26:06 pm

Sadly, for many people, it IS too much to ask! haha

I agree with all yous lads here...

Anyway..

For me it's definitely a striker we need in January..

And I had rice and chicken for dinner
      Go Ed Avi Lad
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #80: Nov 15, 2012 09:32:56 pm
      Probably fair to say Mr Fowler#23 that you got the answer you expected?

My first game was 3-3 draw with Burnley in 68 or 69.   
      There's been some brilliant ones over the years, all of which have been mentioned I think, Chris Lawler, Gerry Byrne, Cally,  Owen, Robbie, Shaggy, Jimmy Case, Tommo, Carra.  The runaway best is Gerrard of course but for me Cally pushes him a close second.  He never stopped, never caused trouble, booked only once (and that was repealed due to mistaken identity), never knew when he was beaten.  The main thing he had that Gerrard doesn't was consistency.  Players get measured on 1 to 10 nowadays, Cally would always have been 8 to 9 EVERY game.  We can't say that of Stevie can we?     He was also extremely modest and self effacing, again we can't say that of Stevie, he has a certain arrogance about him but maybe that's what makes him what he is. 

I once walked smack bang into Gerry Byrne in Annie road.  I was about 16, tall for my age I suppose, but it was like running into a wall, he was bloody solid.  It knocked the wind out of me and he'd gone before I recovered.  (by contrast I once bumped into Jimmy Greaves outside Ninian Park, it was like hitting the side of a bouncy castle!)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #81: Nov 15, 2012 10:04:21 pm
      Crackin' thread this Fowler Lad! Enjoyed reading it.

Easy to say Gerrard, all day long in my time.

Really enjoyed watching McManaman though. I love that essence of a winger who is willing and confident enough to take the ball past people. It's lost on a lot of so called wingers these days - whether that's just down to sticking to tactics or basically not having the self belief to go past someone with the ball (mentioning no names Downing).

Aldo was another favourite scouser of mine too. Loved how similar in looks he looked compared to Rushie, yet how different they were about getting the goals. That era of Aldo under Dalglish was just mind blowing. Some of the footy then was sheer class.

Fowler was superb. Really lifted the club into the air with his goals. He was a timely tonic to recover from a hungover period for LFC.

Aren't we all forgetting John Durnin lads?!  ;)

Obviously I have to be biased and say Lawler is my favourite though.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #82: Nov 15, 2012 11:58:40 pm

I agree mate and I always do but it was just a thought to stop people going off topic in your topic which has been a great read by the way.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #83: Nov 16, 2012 04:17:55 am
      Glad you've enjoyed the thread lads, I could sit in a pub all day and have this sort of debate.

Do any of you think of the crop of young lads that are coming through we've a Gerrard or Carra in the making?

If I had to go for one I see playing his whole career at Anfield and possibly coming into a bracket where he gets into a debate like this I think I'd go for Martin Kelly. I can see his career mirroring Carra's hopefully with the great mans guidance from the coaching pitch.

3 points Saturday please boys we need to get moving.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #84: Nov 16, 2012 04:24:22 am
      Crackin' thread this Fowler Lad! Enjoyed reading it.

Easy to say Gerrard, all day long in my time.

Really enjoyed watching McManaman though. I love that essence of a winger who is willing and confident enough to take the ball past people. It's lost on a lot of so called wingers these days - whether that's just down to sticking to tactics or basically not having the self belief to go past someone with the ball (mentioning no names Downing).

Aldo was another favourite scouser of mine too. Loved how similar in looks he looked compared to Rushie, yet how different they were about getting the goals. That era of Aldo under Dalglish was just mind blowing. Some of the footy then was sheer class.

Fowler was superb. Really lifted the club into the air with his goals. He was a timely tonic to recover from a hungover period for LFC.

Aren't we all forgetting John Durnin lads?!  ;)

Obviously I have to be biased and say Lawler is my favourite though.
      It's sad that McManman's rep in a way got clouded over the way he left, I loved the way he ran at teams his energy levels were second to none.

I loved the way him and Fowler used to celebrate goals it was like they were enjoying themselves so much out there. Can still remember way he tore Bolton apart in League Cup he was unplayable that day and as a footballer let alone as a Liverpool football imo he was very under rated.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #85: Nov 16, 2012 04:25:14 am
      Probably fair to say Mr Fowler#23 that you got the answer you expected?

My first game was 3-3 draw with Burnley in 68 or 69.   
      There's been some brilliant ones over the years, all of which have been mentioned I think, Chris Lawler, Gerry Byrne, Cally,  Owen, Robbie, Shaggy, Jimmy Case, Tommo, Carra.  The runaway best is Gerrard of course but for me Cally pushes him a close second.  He never stopped, never caused trouble, booked only once (and that was repealed due to mistaken identity), never knew when he was beaten.  The main thing he had that Gerrard doesn't was consistency.  Players get measured on 1 to 10 nowadays, Cally would always have been 8 to 9 EVERY game.  We can't say that of Stevie can we?     He was also extremely modest and self effacing, again we can't say that of Stevie, he has a certain arrogance about him but maybe that's what makes him what he is. 

I once walked smack bang into Gerry Byrne in Annie road.  I was about 16, tall for my age I suppose, but it was like running into a wall, he was bloody solid.  It knocked the wind out of me and he'd gone before I recovered.  (by contrast I once bumped into Jimmy Greaves outside Ninian Park, it was like hitting the side of a bouncy castle!)
      Nice post mate.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #86: Nov 17, 2012 12:27:14 pm
      Robbie Fowler or Rob Jones, just can't decide

Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #87: Nov 17, 2012 12:48:13 pm
      Stevie G all the way for me. People keep talking about Istanbul but for me i've never seen a more important goal than Olympiakos, that was it for me at that moment he became a legend.

Started following Liverpool because of the trio Robbie, Marca & Jamie. Marca by far was the one that attracted me to the club before we discovered the traitor (Owen).
      « Last Edit: Nov 19, 2012 05:08:47 pm by redkenny »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #88: Nov 17, 2012 01:14:39 pm
      Stevie G all the way for me. People keep talking about Istanbul but for me i've never seen a more important goal than Olympiakos, dat was it for me at that moment he became a legend.

Started following Liverpool because of the trio Robbie, Marca & Jamie. Marca by far was the one that attracted me to the club before we discovered the traitor (Owen).
      soon as you mention that goal you can remember the crowd and then it reminds you of the crowd for the Chelsea game F**k me happy days.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #89: Nov 17, 2012 01:55:52 pm
      Robbie Fowler or Rob Jones, just can't decide

Such a shame how Rob's career got cut short, one of best full backs we've had since I started watching us. Didn't mind playing left side either ala Johnson these days. I loved that wing back system under Roy with McAteer bombing on down the right side. A formation still to this day imo if you have the right balance is the best formation to play, massive onus on the wing backs but hugely effective.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #90: Nov 17, 2012 01:59:20 pm
      Stevie G all the way for me. People keep talking about Istanbul but for me i've never seen a more important goal than Olympiakos, dat was it for me at that moment he became a legend.

I know Gerrard himself quotes CL final goal as his best (because of the game/situation) but for me I agree hands down, Olympiakos one was my favourite. Cometh the hour cometh the MAN.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #91: Nov 19, 2012 07:05:22 am
      If you do not mind I will give you another stalwart from my early days as a RED,the man I am on about is Bill Jones and was the original Mr versatileHe was signed from a Derbyshire club called Hayfield St Mathews as a young lad of 17 in 1938,so like Billy Liddell he qualifies as home grown talent in my eyes.After the second world war he established himself as a very capable member of the first team and when we won the first division championship inthe 46/47 season he played in 6 different positions.He was that capable he was able to play full back,half back and inside forward,he also played for EnglandB team and England as a centre half.When he retired in 1954 he managed Ellesmere Port for a while and then returned to Anfield to scout for us in the 1960,s and 1970,s.It was his grandson Rob Jones who also starred for us in later years.All in all  Bill Jones was another player who served this club with honour and distinction and LOYALTY and fully deserves to be up there with the best.

Quick Reply