Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The best you've seen

Read 11637 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: The best you've seen
      Reply #92: Nov 19, 2012 09:28:54 am
      Such a shame how Rob's career got cut short, one of best full backs we've had since I started watching us. Didn't mind playing left side either ala Johnson these days. I loved that wing back system under Roy with McAteer bombing on down the right side. A formation still to this day imo if you have the right balance is the best formation to play, massive onus on the wing backs but hugely effective.

I remember Rob's debut, it was against Man Ure, and he had Giggs in his pocket all day long. I also remember the 'skill' he had.

Seriously believe he would have been one of the best fullbacks the world had ever seen if it weren't for his shinsplints.

As a defender he was awesone, going forward he was better.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      Reply #93: Nov 19, 2012 09:30:11 am
      I know Gerrard himself quotes CL final goal as his best (because of the game/situation) but for me I agree hands down, Olympiakos one was my favourite. Cometh the hour cometh the MAN.
      I agree with Gerrard, though the Olympiakos goal was more of an 'emotional' (if you know what I mean) strike, his goal against Milan was sublime. Control, accuracy, it had everything - and against Dida too!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      Reply #94: Nov 19, 2012 09:31:31 am
      If you do not mind I will give you another stalwart from my early days as a RED,the man I am on about is Bill Jones and was the original Mr versatileHe was signed from a Derbyshire club called Hayfield St Mathews as a young lad of 17 in 1938,so like Billy Liddell he qualifies as home grown talent in my eyes.After the second world war he established himself as a very capable member of the first team and when we won the first division championship inthe 46/47 season he played in 6 different positions.He was that capable he was able to play full back,half back and inside forward,he also played for EnglandB team and England as a centre half.When he retired in 1954 he managed Ellesmere Port for a while and then returned to Anfield to scout for us in the 1960,s and 1970,s.It was his grandson Rob Jones who also starred for us in later years.All in all  Bill Jones was another player who served this club with honour and distinction and LOYALTY and fully deserves to be up there with the best.
      Rob Jones was his grandson? Fair play, some talent in that family.

And 6 different positions, has to be some kind of a record.
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #95: Nov 19, 2012 09:35:52 am
      I agree with Gerrard, though the Olympiakos goal was more of an 'emotional' (if you know what I mean) strike, his goal against Milan was sublime. Control, accuracy, it had everything - and against Dida too!

It has to be Olympiakos for me. Without Olympiakos there would have been no Istanbul and we needed the goal to qualify.

It was crazy. I dont think i can ever forget that European season. Thats why Rafa for me will always have a place in my heart. And for those who thought it was a fluke we made the final 2 yaers later too.

I still cant get it out of my head, Stevie requesting for the ball like twice and never got it, then finally the ball fell to him after a defensive clearance and of course u all know what followed, with the commentatators screaming "what a beauty, what a hit, what a hit" that was the re-birth of the club and when we started believing we could achieve anything, that was when expectations started becoming realistic again.
      « Last Edit: Nov 19, 2012 09:47:00 am by Scouser4life »
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #96: Nov 19, 2012 01:10:39 pm
      I still cant get it out of my head, Stevie requesting for the ball like twice and never got it, then finally the ball fell to him after a defensive clearance and of course u all know what followed, with the commentatators screaming "what a beauty, what a hit, what a hit" that was the re-birth of the club and when we started believing we could achieve anything, that was when expectations started becoming realistic again.
      Only downside out that goal blue nose himself Andy Gray commentating ;D
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #97: Nov 19, 2012 01:12:51 pm
      If you do not mind I will give you another stalwart from my early days as a RED,the man I am on about is Bill Jones and was the original Mr versatileHe was signed from a Derbyshire club called Hayfield St Mathews as a young lad of 17 in 1938,so like Billy Liddell he qualifies as home grown talent in my eyes.After the second world war he established himself as a very capable member of the first team and when we won the first division championship inthe 46/47 season he played in 6 different positions.He was that capable he was able to play full back,half back and inside forward,he also played for EnglandB team and England as a centre half.When he retired in 1954 he managed Ellesmere Port for a while and then returned to Anfield to scout for us in the 1960,s and 1970,s.It was his grandson Rob Jones who also starred for us in later years.All in all  Bill Jones was another player who served this club with honour and distinction and LOYALTY and fully deserves to be up there with the best.
      Cheers for post mate, I'm sorry to say I know hardly anything of Bill Jones, sounds a real Anfield stalwart I can recall now you've mentioned him, hearing Rob's Granddad was a former player.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #98: Nov 19, 2012 02:27:39 pm
      It has to be Olympiakos for me. Without Olympiakos there would have been no Istanbul and we needed the goal to qualify.

Bit harsh on Mellor and Pongolle, without their contribution's we wouldn't have been in the position of needing a goal to qualify.

And if we're talking Gerrard goals I'm gonna throw his second against West Ham in 06 Cup Final, that's the best goal he's ever scored by a country F***ing mile, aching legs, last four minutes of injury time and F***ing boom, he hits that!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #99: Nov 19, 2012 02:30:14 pm
      Only downside out that goal blue nose himself Andy Gray commentating ;D

Ermmm....hello! ;)

That made it better for me. Him going mad like that went against everything he would of liked to have done in that situation.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #100: Nov 19, 2012 02:32:35 pm
      Ermmm....hello! ;)

That made it better for me. Him going mad like that went against everything he would of liked to have done in that situation.
      Haha never looked on it like that, still remember being in main stand few years back seeing him climbing up ladder hoping he'd get his fat head stuck in gap!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #101: Nov 19, 2012 02:39:06 pm
      I still cant get it out of my head, Stevie requesting for the ball like twice and never got it, then finally the ball fell to him after a defensive clearance

It was Mellor who headed it to him - no defensive clearance.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #102: Nov 19, 2012 02:44:32 pm
      It was Mellor who headed it to him - no defensive clearance.

Classy little header down that, as I said couple of posts above pisses me off how no one ever mentions him or Pongolle, who in my opinion changed the match in the second half.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #103: Nov 19, 2012 02:47:48 pm
      Oh eye yeah if it wasn't for them and the changes made by the manager Istanbul wouldn't of happened but you can see why some remember the game for that goal only.

Some F***ing money shot like!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #104: Nov 19, 2012 02:50:47 pm
      Since we're talking about THAT goal:

Gerrard Goal v Olympiakos (UEFA Champions League Group Stage 2004)

Carragher -> Mellor -> Gerrard
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #105: Nov 19, 2012 02:52:35 pm
      Oh eye yeah if it wasn't for them and the changes made by the manager Istanbul wouldn't of happened but you can see why some remember the game for that goal only.

Some F***ing money shot like!

A whole load of if that might of happened etc etc, Traore clearing off the line after Juve had hit the bar in the Delle Alpi, Gudjohnsen's shot flashing across the face of the goal six minutes into injury time. We had plenty of luck on our side on the way to number five.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #106: Nov 19, 2012 02:54:40 pm
      A whole load of if that might of happened etc etc, Traore clearing off the line after Juve had hit the bar in the Delle Alpi, Gudjohnsen's shot flashing across the face of the goal six minutes into injury time. We had plenty of luck on our side on the way to number five.

Lots of luck - name written on the trophy no doubt.

But fully deserved
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #107: Nov 19, 2012 03:06:57 pm
      Lots of luck - name written on the trophy no doubt.

But fully deserved
      No word of a lie in the extra time I was a bag of nerves, but as soon as the whistle went to signal penalties.

The whole weight lifted and I sat there not hoping but knowing we'd win, it was a surreal experience as infact the whole of the final was.

What a night, just had goose pimples now thinking about it, you know it was special when you get that.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      Reply #108: Nov 19, 2012 03:08:51 pm
      Classy little header down that, as I said couple of posts above pisses me off how no one ever mentions him or Pongolle, who in my opinion changed the match in the second half.
      True. Unsung heroes and all that.

Lovely cushioned header - for Gerrarrrrrrd!

This is just classic:
      Classic

Perhaps we should vote :)

FA Cup Final
      Gerrard screeeeeamer
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #109: Nov 19, 2012 03:16:49 pm
      No word of a lie in the extra time I was a bag of nerves, but as soon as the whistle went to signal penalties.

Yep same here, spent about two minutes telling everyone around me had shevchenko tried placing the rebound shot rather than smashing it, we would of been fu**ed, then Hamann trying to trundle in on goal, ref signalled pens, knew it was ours from that moment on!
      « Last Edit: Nov 19, 2012 03:56:06 pm by HUYTON RED »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #110: Nov 19, 2012 03:20:50 pm
      Yep same here, spent about two minutes telling everyone around me had shevchenko tried placing the rebound shot rather than placing it, we would of been fu**ed, then Hamann trying to trundle in on goal, ref signalled pens, knew it was ours from that moment on!
      And just to remind people it was only 7 years ago not 70 so its a very useful mark in the sand to see how far we have fallen.
      Dudek's save still makes me smile just to think about it.Did Shevshenko's career virtually end after that he was never the same player.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #111: Nov 20, 2012 01:35:24 am
      Another old timer from the 1940s/50s was Ray Lambert,now this man has to be classed as home grown ,he was born on the 18/7/1922 and signed on amateur forms in January 1936.He came from Flint Schoolboys at the young age of 13 and usually played right back but was able to play on the left as well.As a young kid Ray used to look like a brick shithouse to me ,he was 5ft9 and weighed about 12and a half stone.He retired in 1956 and like so many L.F.C. players of that era was a loyal one club man.He won a first division championship medal in 1947 and was in the team that got beat by Arsenal in the 1950 F.A.Cup final against Arsenal.He played for Wales and Wales schoolboys.I have mentioned 3 players in this thread and it makes me think that we must of had an incredible scouting system going in the 1930s,no tv,no utube and certainly no internet it was all done by the scouts getting out and seeing players on the park.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #112: Nov 20, 2012 01:50:36 am
      Another old timer from the 1940s/50s was Ray Lambert,now this man has to be classed as home grown ,he was born on the 18/7/1922 and signed on amateur forms in January 1936.He came from Flint Schoolboys at the young age of 13 and usually played right back but was able to play on the left as well.As a young kid Ray used to look like a brick shithouse to me ,he was 5ft9 and weighed about 12and a half stone.He retired in 1956 and like so many L.F.C. players of that era was a loyal one club man.He won a first division championship medal in 1947 and was in the team that got beat by Arsenal in the 1950 F.A.Cup final against Arsenal.He played for Wales and Wales schoolboys.I have mentioned 3 players in this thread and it makes me think that we must of had an incredible scouting system going in the 1930s,no tv,no utube and certainly no internet it was all done by the scouts getting out and seeing players on the park.
      Another gem of a post there Billy, do you still go to Anfield? How old are you if you don't mind me asking?
      What are your thoughts on the current crop of young lads?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #113: Nov 20, 2012 06:41:52 am
      Another gem of a post there Billy, do you still go to Anfield? How old are you if you don't mind me asking?
      What are your thoughts on the current crop of young lads?
      I will be 74 in 3 weeks time and sadly I don't get to Anfield these days(and its the thing I miss more than anything)I have lived in New Zealand now for quite a while and the last time I was at Anfield was December 1989 and early January 1990.I saw the REDS play Manure and Sheffield Wednesday and both games were draws.I still have the programmes from those games.I have lots of old programmes and videos and dvds so I never forget what the REDS mean to me.I am looking at a programme now from the 12th of April 1968 when we played Sheffield United and it cost an old tanner.The team that day was Lawrence,Lawler,Hughes,Smith,Yeats,Strong,Callaghan,Hunt,Hately,StJohn.Thompson.I still have quite a few old programmes that I flick through now and again just to revive the old memory.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #114: Nov 20, 2012 01:43:34 pm
      I will be 74 in 3 weeks time and sadly I don't get to Anfield these days(and its the thing I miss more than anything)I have lived in New Zealand now for quite a while and the last time I was at Anfield was December 1989 and early January 1990.I saw the REDS play Manure and Sheffield Wednesday and both games were draws.I still have the programmes from those games.I have lots of old programmes and videos and dvds so I never forget what the REDS mean to me.I am looking at a programme now from the 12th of April 1968 when we played Sheffield United and it cost an old tanner.The team that day was Lawrence,Lawler,Hughes,Smith,Yeats,Strong,Callaghan,Hunt,Hately,StJohn.Thompson.I still have quite a few old programmes that I flick through now and again just to revive the old memory.
      Good memories to have Billy, some greats in that 11 there eh? Liverpool play such a strong part in peoples lives I'm sure when you're looking back it's like yr back at Anfield mate.

Quick Reply