Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

2013 FIFA Confederations Cup

Read 35111 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      2013 FIFA Confederations Cup
      Nov 21, 2012 06:52:35 pm
      Group draw will only be held in December 1 and there isn't much information about the competition yet, I only created this thread to say I bought tickets for all 3 matches that will happen in Rio, including the final :P

Teams in the competition:

- Brazil (host)
      - Spain (WC winer)
      - Japan (Asian Cup winner)
      - Mexico (CONCACAF Gold Cup winner)
      - Uruguay (Copa America winner)
      - Tahiti (OFC Nations Cup winner)
      - Italy (UEFA Euro runners-up)

Plus the winner of the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations...
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup
      Reply #1: Nov 21, 2012 07:14:33 pm
      Group draw will only be held in December 1 and there isn't much information about the competition yet, I only created this thread to say I bought tickets for all 3 matches that will happen in Rio, including the final :P

Teams in the competition:

- Brazil (host)
      - Spain (WC winer)
      - Japan (Asian Cup winner)
      - Mexico (CONCACAF Gold Cup winner)
      - Uruguay (Copa America winner)
      - Tahiti (OFC Nations Cup winner)
      - Italy (UEFA Euro runners-up)

Plus the winner of the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations...

# Nice  ;D

When is this being played?

# Are we loosing our players?  :f_wah:
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #2: Nov 21, 2012 09:29:08 pm
      Tahiti are winning it
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #3: Nov 22, 2012 07:42:28 pm
      # Nice  ;D

When is this being played?

# Are we loosing our players?  :f_wah:

Yes we are!
      Hope to see Suarez in one of those games I'm going.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #4: Nov 23, 2012 03:51:09 pm
      I think Mexico could be a strong shout to win if they bring a good squad.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5: Nov 23, 2012 09:35:26 pm
      Menezes sacked by the BFF. Brazil are heading the way of Germany at the 2006 World Cup. Underdogs at their own world cup.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 2817 
      Reply #6: Nov 23, 2012 10:30:45 pm
      I think Mexico could be a strong shout to win if they bring a good squad.

They were brilliant at the Olympics, got some good players coming through.

Any idea who's replacing Menezes, Diego?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #7: Nov 27, 2012 09:49:15 pm
      Any idea who's replacing Menezes, Diego?

There's an exciting rumor about Guardiola but I think CBF (Brazilian federation) is too conservative to try that, it would annoy many people who would think it to be an abomination to see a foreigner taking command of our national team.

A strong candidate is Tite, Corinthians' manager, he won the league with team last year and the Libertadores this year.

The strongest rumor at the moment says Luis Felipe Scolari (WC 2002 winner) will come back to the national team. Everybody loves the guy but I'm not sure about him at the moment, he's just left Palmeiras near to the relegation zone (he was fired before the end of the season and Palmeiras ended up relegated), although he did win the Brazilian Cup with them this year. However, he's famous for being a lot better in knockout competitions than in a league schedule, and it suits international football very well. He's also a great motivator, although with his recent failures players might not see in him the winner they saw in the 90's or early 00's like in 2002.

I'm really unsure about that.... I'm not a big fan of most current Brazilian managers to be honest. I actually think the current profile of Brazilian clubs managers is too conservative, even archaic at times. I see teams in Chile (Universidad de Chile) and Argentina (Newell's Old Boys) playing great possession based attacking football and I wish we would see more of that in Brazil.

I would love us to have some shock of reality with Guardiola and would look forward to the trend it could possibly start in our league too. Unlikely, though.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8: Nov 27, 2012 11:09:40 pm
      It's been mentioned on LFCtv tonight on the press box programme that Pep could be managing Brazil too Diego.  Your wish may come true mate.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #9: Nov 28, 2012 02:34:27 pm
      It's official - 'Big Phil' Scolari is back.

EDIT: Ok, apparently it's not really "official" yet, as CBF has not confirmed it. However, every sports papers are saying the same thing so it's probably true.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #10: Nov 28, 2012 02:46:45 pm
      It's official - 'Big Phil' Scolari is back.

EDIT: Ok, apparently it's not really "official" yet, as CBF has not confirmed it. However, every sports papers are saying the same thing so it's probably true.

What are your thoughts on that? Won the 2002 WC correct?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #11: Nov 29, 2012 12:21:40 pm
      Mixed feelings... I like Scolari and I'm grateful for 2002, but his recent work at Palmeiras was a failure... I would have preferred something new, but it's hard to get innovation from Brazilian managers at the moment, and I never saw CBF having the guts to appoint a foreigner to the job. We have some other decent options like Muricy or Tite but neither would be ideal for me. I don't like their style of football and Muricy in particular is too afraid of playing attacking football.

Scolari is not exactly a preacher of attacking football either, but you can't fault his previous work with the national team, having won all 7 games of the World Cup 2002.

In 2001 he was appointed manager of a Brazilian team that was at risk of failing to quality to the World Cup, secured qualification in the very last game of the qualifiers and then went on to win the world.

The thing that makes me a bit more confident about him is that he knows how to play knockout competitions. He's won the Brazilian Cup 4 times with 3 different teams, 1 Libertadores with Gremio and another with Palmeiras, and his Brazilian championship title in 1995 was back in the time we had playoffs after a "regular" season.

He's a great motivator (the 2002 squad was called "the Scolari family" after the WC) and hopefully will be up for the task...
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #12: Nov 29, 2012 02:22:58 pm
      Didn't realise that we would be affected. Losing Suarez will be a big loss, as well as losing the option of Coates. What dates are we talking about?

Highlights even more so the importance of getting a striker in January.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #13: Nov 29, 2012 03:16:47 pm
      It's in the off-season mate, June 2013
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #14: Nov 29, 2012 06:03:28 pm
      I think that's a fair analysis of the situation...

ANALYSIS-Soccer-Brazil remain the masters of improvisation
      RIO DE JANEIRO, Nov 29 (Reuters) - Brazilians are proud of their ability to pull improvised solutions out of a hat and Thursday's appointment of Luiz Felipe Scolari as national team coach was a classic case of "jeitinho brasileiro".
      At the start of the week, 2014 World Cup hosts Brazil faced the embarrassing prospect of hosting the draw for next year's Confederations Cup on Saturday without a coach after their shock decision to fire Mano Menezes.
      Within 48 hours, the Brazilian federation (CBF) pulled 2002 World Cup winner Scolari out of its pocket and, as an added bonus, roped in Carlos Alberto Parreira, the coach who brought them their fourth world title in 1994, as his technical director.
      The decision placated the Brazilian media, won praise from FIFA president Sepp Blatter and stopped the lobby in favour of former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola in its tracks.
      "We concluded that the destiny of the Brazilian national team should be left in the competent hands of people who have recognised capability and title-winning experience," said CBF president Jose Marin Marin.
      Blatter welcomed the decision to name the coach this week, rather than January as previously planned.
      "The Brazilian national team cannot become a no man's land," he told Brazilian media in Sao Paulo. "I'm happy they made a quick decision."
      But while authorities celebrated, many Brazilians were critical of the way the national team has been led.
      Menezes was sacked last Friday, just as his young team appeared to be taking shape after two years of painstaking experiments.
      The eloquent coach had disbanded Dunga's unpopular, physical, counter-attacking outfit which reached the quarter-finals of the 2010 World Cup and built a team which played with speed, style and panache.
      Menezes, however, fell out of favour when Ricardo Teixeira, who had appointed him, quit as head of the CBF in March, citing ill-health and plagued by allegations of corruption.
      He was replaced by 80-year-old Marin who immediately made Menezes' life uncomfortable by announcing he would vet his squad lists.
      Despite failing to win the Olympic gold medal in London and losing to Argentina in June, Menezes survived until last Friday when he was fired on Marin's whim and against the wishes of national teams director Andres Sanchez.
      Sanchez quit on Wednesday but by that time the move to re-appoint Scolari had already gained momentum.
      The whole story seemed to be a classic case of "jeitinho brasileiro", a cunning, improvised way of getting around a problem.
      "The most seductive name was Guardiola, who could have brought a new philosophy to the national team and Brazilian football," wrote Alvaro Oliveira Filho, a columnist in the sports daily Lance.
      "But he would have needed time and, above all, a more serious leadership in the CBF."
      Whether the hastily-arranged double act, which has a combined age of 133, can still deliver the goods is a different matter.
      Parreira has vast experience, having led Brazil, Kuwait, South Africa, United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia at the World Cup, but blotted his copybook in 2006.
      On that occasion, a ageing and lethargic Brazilian side led by a below-par Ronaldo went out in the quarter-finals against France.
      Scolari, a man who has mellowed considerably since the days television cameras caught him offering to settle his differences with a referee in the car park, is a charismatic, volatile figure with renowned powers of motivation.
      COMPETITIVE EDGE
      During six years with Portugal, he turned them from a team of underachievers into a feisty side with a competitive edge which many felt tested the limits of fair play.
      A European Championship final and World Cup semi-final was testament to his ability, even if neutrals did not like his methods.
      "We revolutionised the relationship between the supporters and the team," said Scolari on Thursday. "I maybe didn't win anything but the work we did was worth more than 10 or 20 titles."
      Since then, things have not gone so well. He became one of Roman Abramovich's victims at Chelsea, coached in club football in Uzbekistan and then returned home in 2010 to coach Palmeiras.
      That ended unhappily as he quit in September with the team mired in the Brazilian championship relegation zone.
      Brazil appear to have lost ground on their rivals with even neighbours Argentina, themselves beset by problems of the field, well settled under coach Alejandro Sabella.
      With teams such as Spain and Germany reaping the benefits of long-term planning, innovatory training methods and well-defined philosophies, it make take more than patriotic fervour and Scolari's charisma to land the World Cup. (Editing by Justin Palmer)

Link
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #15: Nov 30, 2012 10:58:13 am
      I think that's a fair analysis of the situation...

ANALYSIS-Soccer-Brazil remain the masters of improvisation
      RIO DE JANEIRO, Nov 29 (Reuters) - Brazilians are proud of their ability to pull improvised solutions out of a hat and Thursday's appointment of Luiz Felipe Scolari as national team coach was a classic case of "jeitinho brasileiro".
      At the start of the week, 2014 World Cup hosts Brazil faced the embarrassing prospect of hosting the draw for next year's Confederations Cup on Saturday without a coach after their shock decision to fire Mano Menezes.
      Within 48 hours, the Brazilian federation (CBF) pulled 2002 World Cup winner Scolari out of its pocket and, as an added bonus, roped in Carlos Alberto Parreira, the coach who brought them their fourth world title in 1994, as his technical director.
      The decision placated the Brazilian media, won praise from FIFA president Sepp Blatter and stopped the lobby in favour of former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola in its tracks.
      "We concluded that the destiny of the Brazilian national team should be left in the competent hands of people who have recognised capability and title-winning experience," said CBF president Jose Marin Marin.
      Blatter welcomed the decision to name the coach this week, rather than January as previously planned.
      "The Brazilian national team cannot become a no man's land," he told Brazilian media in Sao Paulo. "I'm happy they made a quick decision."
      But while authorities celebrated, many Brazilians were critical of the way the national team has been led.
      Menezes was sacked last Friday, just as his young team appeared to be taking shape after two years of painstaking experiments.
      The eloquent coach had disbanded Dunga's unpopular, physical, counter-attacking outfit which reached the quarter-finals of the 2010 World Cup and built a team which played with speed, style and panache.
      Menezes, however, fell out of favour when Ricardo Teixeira, who had appointed him, quit as head of the CBF in March, citing ill-health and plagued by allegations of corruption.
      He was replaced by 80-year-old Marin who immediately made Menezes' life uncomfortable by announcing he would vet his squad lists.
      Despite failing to win the Olympic gold medal in London and losing to Argentina in June, Menezes survived until last Friday when he was fired on Marin's whim and against the wishes of national teams director Andres Sanchez.
      Sanchez quit on Wednesday but by that time the move to re-appoint Scolari had already gained momentum.
      The whole story seemed to be a classic case of "jeitinho brasileiro", a cunning, improvised way of getting around a problem.
      "The most seductive name was Guardiola, who could have brought a new philosophy to the national team and Brazilian football," wrote Alvaro Oliveira Filho, a columnist in the sports daily Lance.
      "But he would have needed time and, above all, a more serious leadership in the CBF."
      Whether the hastily-arranged double act, which has a combined age of 133, can still deliver the goods is a different matter.
      Parreira has vast experience, having led Brazil, Kuwait, South Africa, United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia at the World Cup, but blotted his copybook in 2006.
      On that occasion, a ageing and lethargic Brazilian side led by a below-par Ronaldo went out in the quarter-finals against France.
      Scolari, a man who has mellowed considerably since the days television cameras caught him offering to settle his differences with a referee in the car park, is a charismatic, volatile figure with renowned powers of motivation.
      COMPETITIVE EDGE
      During six years with Portugal, he turned them from a team of underachievers into a feisty side with a competitive edge which many felt tested the limits of fair play.
      A European Championship final and World Cup semi-final was testament to his ability, even if neutrals did not like his methods.
      "We revolutionised the relationship between the supporters and the team," said Scolari on Thursday. "I maybe didn't win anything but the work we did was worth more than 10 or 20 titles."
      Since then, things have not gone so well. He became one of Roman Abramovich's victims at Chelsea, coached in club football in Uzbekistan and then returned home in 2010 to coach Palmeiras.
      That ended unhappily as he quit in September with the team mired in the Brazilian championship relegation zone.
      Brazil appear to have lost ground on their rivals with even neighbours Argentina, themselves beset by problems of the field, well settled under coach Alejandro Sabella.
      With teams such as Spain and Germany reaping the benefits of long-term planning, innovatory training methods and well-defined philosophies, it make take more than patriotic fervour and Scolari's charisma to land the World Cup. (Editing by Justin Palmer)

Link
      I think they're clutching at straws myself.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #16: Dec 01, 2012 02:18:36 pm
      Group draws just finished...

Group A:

Brazil
      Japan
      Mexico
      Italy

Group B:

Spain
      Uruguay
      Tahiti
      Afrian Champion (to be defined on 10th Feb)

Games and cities of the group stage:

Group A:

15/06 Brazil x Japan – Brasília
      16/06 Mexico x Italy – Rio de Janeiro
      19/06 Brazil x Mexico – Fortaleza
      19/06 Italy x Japan – Recife
      22/06 Italy x Brazil – Salvador
      22/06 Japan x Mexico – Belo Horizonte

Group B:

16/06 Spain x Uruguay – Recife
      17/06 Tahiti x African Champion – Belo Horizonte
      20/06 Spain x Tahiti – Rio de Janeiro
      20/06 African Champion x Uruguay – Salvador
      23/06 African Champion x Spain– Fortaleza
      23/06 Uruguay x Tahiti – Recife

So now I know which games I got tickets for, apart from the final... they are Mexico x Italy and Spain x Tahiti.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #17: Feb 15, 2013 04:22:36 pm
      Got tickets for one of the semifinals (to be played in Belo Horizonte) as well :)

Winner of group A vs Runner-up of group B
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #18: Feb 15, 2013 08:17:52 pm
      apart from Tahiti that looks hard to win for any team.  Spain missed out winning against big names like Argentina and Brazil in the WC.  That's the final I would want. 
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #19: Feb 15, 2013 10:07:08 pm
      Should be a cracking tournament this year
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #20: Feb 16, 2013 08:43:52 am
      Go Tahiti! Rep the Oceania region proud my brothers.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #21: May 14, 2013 05:17:38 pm
      Luis Felipe Scolari named the Brazilian team for the Confederations Cup today.

Goalkeepers
      Julio Cesar (QPR)
      Jefferson (Botafogo)
      Diego Cavalieri (Fluminense)

Fullbacks
      Daniel Alves (Barcelona)
      Marcelo (Real Madrid)
      Filipe Luis (Atletico Madrid)
      Jean (Fluminense)

Central defenders
      Thiago Silva (PSG)
      Dante (Bayern Munchen)
      David Luiz (Chelsea)
      Rever (Atlético Mineiro)

Midfielders
      Fernando (Grêmio)
      Paulinho (Corinthians)
      Luiz Gustavo (Bayern Munchen)
      Hernanes (Lazio)
      Jadson (São Paulo)
      Oscar (Chelsea)
      Bernard (Atlético Mineiro)
      Lucas Moura (PSG)

Forwards
      Neymar (Santos)
      Fred (Fluminense)
      Hulk (Zenit)
      Leandro Damião (Internacional)
      Bier
      Reply #22: May 14, 2013 06:56:24 pm
      That squad makes sense, doesnt it Diego? Certainly more reasonable than some of the squads I've seen from Menezes and Dunga.

Quick Reply