Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

2013 FIFA Confederations Cup

Read 35067 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup
      Reply #23: May 14, 2013 07:11:19 pm
      That squad makes sense, doesnt it Diego? Certainly more reasonable than some of the squads I've seen from Menezes and Dunga.

Absolutely. There are some topics of discussion though, such as the absence of Ronaldinho, since he's found form with Atlético Mineiro and is leading them in a great campaign in the Libertadores. He's one of the most popular players here so fans and media alike are making a lot of noise because he's not in the team. Felipão preferred Bernard from the same club. Personally I'm one of Ronaldinho's biggest critics so I'm glad he's not in the team.

Scolari compared it to the World Cup 2002, when he was under all kinds of criticism for not calling Romário. In the end it worked, so nobody cared anymore.

Other talking points are the fullbacks, Jean is actually a defensive midfielder for Fluminense, but Felipão uses him on the right. Jadson isn't everyone's cup of tea either, and I would have liked Coutinho to be given a chance. I fully understand why Philippe isn't there though, since he wasn't part of the team in any of the preceding friendlies.

I think Felipão's appointment was a cry for the past, something I'm still unsure of. I would have preferred a solid plan for the future, instead of rehashing things that worked years ago (WC 94 winning manager Parreira is also part of the national team setup). However, I'm actually positively surprised with the team he called for the Confederations Cup. Think it makes a lot of sense.

One crucial omission though was Ramires. In my opinion he has to be in the team, preferably as a starter. Paulinho is a great midfield dynamo but Ramires has done nothing wrong so I think his omission is unfair.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #24: May 14, 2013 07:21:21 pm
      One crucial omission though was Ramires. In my opinion he has to be in the team, preferably as a starter. Paulinho is a great midfield dynamo but Ramires has done nothing wrong so I think his omission is unfair.

Ramires is a pretty underrated player.
      Bier
      Reply #25: May 14, 2013 07:21:33 pm
      You're right, Ramires! I hadn't noticed that. That is weird, indeed. I can see Coutinho getting called up next season when he continues his form.

And I can understand what you say about the future, but at the same time all that matters right now is 2014 isn't it? Considering it's held in your country. I can understand that short term policy there.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #26: May 14, 2013 07:32:57 pm
      You're right, Ramires! I hadn't noticed that. That is weird, indeed. I can see Coutinho getting called up next season when he continues his form.

And I can understand what you say about the future, but at the same time all that matters right now is 2014 isn't it? Considering it's held in your country. I can understand that short term policy there.

Yeah, that's true. What I don't understand though is why it took them so long to sack Mano Menezes. When Brazil was at its worst, they kept him despite all the popular pressure (since his appointment, Brazil has failed to beat any countries of greater importance, utter failure in the Copa America, and so on), but when Brazil was finally starting to show a better football, he was sacked.

I was happy he was gone cause I don't think a guy whose career's biggest achievement is a Brazilian Cup was up to the task nor deserved to lead Brazil in a World Cup in home soil and arguably the most important World Cup of all time for us, but the timing was awkward. Not to mention that Felipão's last job at Palmeiras last year wasn't great, he did win the Brazilian Cup but then left them in relegation zone before he was sacked (they ended up relegated after all). Parreira's last few jobs as a manager were generally disappointments as well. So it's not as if they were trading Menezes for a certainty of success... Tostão (former player, part of the WC 70 team) says it's as if CBF were avoiding responsibility, saying to the press: you complained about the manager's lack of experience, we gave you experience; now if it doesn't work, it's not our fault anymore.

I do prefer the national team with Felipão rather than Dunga or Mano Menezes, but I'm far from convinced so far.

Felipão is famous for being a great 'cup manager', his greatest achievements all came in competitions of this form. Even the Brazilian league title he won in 1996 with Grêmio, our league had playoffs back then. In that lays all my hopes for next year.
      Bier
      Reply #27: May 14, 2013 08:38:14 pm
      Is there any specific manager you would've preferred otherwise Diego? I don't follow Brazillian club football, besides Scolari there aren't many I know I think.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #28: May 14, 2013 08:49:09 pm
      Is there any specific manager you would've preferred otherwise Diego? I don't follow Brazillian club football, besides Scolari there aren't many I know I think.

That's the problem... there are very few Brazilian managers that could be under consideration... and most of them are defensive, counter attacking managers - something that won't be accepted in the national team. I would have loved if we at least tried Guardiola when he was out of job... but due to nationalism, CBF wouldn't do it. I think tactically speaking, most Brazilian managers are way behind Europe. Most are dinosaurs not keeping up with the recent developments of the game. Well, that's my opinion, some people would disagree.

If I had to pick a Brazilian manager, I really don't know who it would be. Tite is doing a great job at Corinthians but their game is in great part based on counter attacking. Muricy is a winner but their teams play ugly, boring, conservative football - like a successful Big Sam. Cuca gets his team to play good attacking football (he's currently managing Atlético Mineiro, Ronaldinho's team) but lacks the leadership skills to be a national manager - loses the plot too often, his teams are known to choke in the big games, etc.

That's why despite not being too happy about Scolari, I wasn't disappointed either.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #29: Jun 02, 2013 03:36:13 pm
      Xabi Alonso will miss the competition due to injury. :( And I got tickets for a Spain game...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #30: Jun 02, 2013 04:41:59 pm
      Xabi Alonso will miss the competition due to injury. :( And I got tickets for a Spain game...

Torres might be playing!  :o
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #31: Jun 02, 2013 05:16:08 pm
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #32: Jun 03, 2013 02:39:58 pm

tORRES AGAINST sUAREZ. 

:aaliverpool2xt1: :scarf: :aaliverpoolwz0:
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #33: Jun 12, 2013 03:41:22 pm
      Really looking forward to some proper competitive football that i could stand watching. Brazil for me to win it cant wait to see Suarez and Cavani up front for Uruguay.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #34: Jun 12, 2013 03:54:27 pm
      Can't wait for it either. Gonna be fun going to a few games. I'm still not sure if I'll be able to make use of my tickets for the semifinal in Belo Horizonte, since the game is on a working day, but I'll attend all three games in Rio.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #35: Jun 15, 2013 07:59:36 pm
      Brazil 1 Japan 0. Great strike by Neymar.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #36: Jun 15, 2013 08:44:59 pm
      BBC say it was excellent, entertaining 1st half. Not too sure what they are watching, but this is average for me.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #37: Jun 15, 2013 08:45:40 pm
      Brazil 1 Japan 0. Great strike by Neymar.

It was indeed! Lovely goal all round. Cross, chest, strike - mwah!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #38: Jun 15, 2013 08:52:55 pm
      Watching the Confederations Cup and Ironically its not the first time I have seen a Jap's eye and a Brazillian on the same screen.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #39: Jun 15, 2013 08:55:53 pm
      Watching the Confederations Cup and Ironically its not the first time I have seen a Jap's eye and a Brazillian on the same screen.

Dirty sod. :lmao:
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #40: Jun 15, 2013 09:02:38 pm
      2-0 Paulinho. Too good for Japan
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,480 posts | 231 
      Reply #41: Jun 15, 2013 09:09:19 pm

It's on bbc1 tomorrow . Should be a cracking game
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #42: Jun 15, 2013 09:10:00 pm
      Both teams looking lethargic. Honda looks the biggest threat for Japan.  With him being free agent in the summer,  some club is going to get a bargain.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #43: Jun 15, 2013 09:27:00 pm
      BBC commentary is ahead of the video.

Doing my head in.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #44: Jun 15, 2013 09:32:57 pm
      I noticed that with the Neymar goal. The commentator was shouting Neymar loudly before he got anywhere near the ball.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,480 posts | 231 
      Reply #45: Jun 15, 2013 09:48:14 pm
      Oscar is one hell of a player.

Quick Reply