Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your Man of the Match tonight?

Shelvey
      15 (25.9%)
      Cole
      33 (56.9%)
      Suso
      5 (8.6%)
      Henderson
      1 (1.7%)
      Assaidi
      3 (5.2%)
      Gerrard
      1 (1.7%)
      Suarez
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Liverpool 2:2 Young Boys: In game & post match grumbles.

Read 25099 times
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Re: Liverpool 2:2 Young Boys: In game & post match grumbles.
      Reply #368: Nov 23, 2012 11:34:06 am
      Uphill battle ? It's not that bad - just need to match what YB do against Anzhi
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #369: Nov 23, 2012 11:35:07 am
      Exactly the case Si, Brendan has no choice in the matter - to be more succint we do not have the quality in the squad to meet expectation at all levels.

Rubbish. Put a strong team out last night and get the job done. One f*cking game. Then barring an outing in italy for the reserves we would be free of european football until february.

We are already out of the league cup and the fa cup does not start for around 2 months. That was a joke of a team selection last night .... an absolute joke!!

Downing at left back when you have johnson robbo and enrique? Henderson at right back when carra or skrtel could have played there with coates in the centre.

BR learned nothing from the udinese result it seems and it has cost us dearly.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #370: Nov 23, 2012 11:38:04 am
      A joke selection ?

That was a team full of internationals and expirienced players.

That wasn't a team full of reserves or kids - they were all first team players.

That was a decent team picked - one more than capable of beating YB
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #371: Nov 23, 2012 11:49:55 am
      Wow, how frustrating last night was. On the most part, we played okay without taking full control. The Swiss team played a lot better than I have them credit for before the game. They attacked in the first couple of minutes and put us under pressure everytime we got the ball.

Right from the back, we were a bit shaky. Still not convinced Pepe is quite right. Won't begin to criticise him for either goals, could do nothing about them. Coming for crosses wasn't his strongest point last night. In my opinion, if the goalkeeper isn't sure they will get the ball, they shouldn't come out to get a cross.

Played two midfield players at full-back, once Wisdom went off with Henderson going to right back. I will never criticise a player being player out of position. I know Hendo has played their a few times but it is very different to playing midfield, a lot different to playing wing. Overall, he didn't play brilliantly in that positron but I can't criticise him. Skrtel and Carra were sound but Downing frustrated me a bit. Not even in his defensive capabilities, more his attacking attributes. The fella can't cross the ball. You can put this down to good defending, maybe, but every cross was blocked from Downing. Getting a bit fed up with him now. Looks scared of the ball. Like I have said, wouldn't criticise him defensively, did okay their considering it isn't his position.

In the midfield/wing, we eventually ended up with Stevie, Cole, Assiadi, Suso and Sahin. Stevie was okay without doing anything really. Assiadi is obviously getting used to everything. Can't be easy for him, however. Playing a lot of games in Europe against different styles of teams. It's one thing doing it against different styles in the Prem but I would argue even more difficult in Europe. The style of football differs so much across Europe. You could see Brendan encouraging him to track back and work his arse off. He can certainly beat a man. Lacked a real striker to hit, however.

After a bit of a shaky start, Sahin settled and put himself about a bit more, which I was impressed with. It is something he has lacked a bit. Suso was quiet, linking well but without penetrating. Special mention for Cole. I like Cole as a man, seems genuine in my opinion. I admit to feeling a bit iffy about him, especially considering his high wages. That said, last night was the best I have seen him play in a Reds shirt. Missed a few chances but set up Jonjo for the goal. Some of his link up play was fantastic. I don't expect it to be a revival of his career, however.

Jonjo, and subsequently Suarez and Sterling, didn't have it easy. I am surprised by the criticisim of the subs. They had very little movement and had to go a lot on their own. I have heard people say they were 'arrogant' and 'greedy'. Don't agree with that at all. They had nothing else to work with.

Frustrating to throw away to leads last night. Very hard job to go out to Italy and get a result and it is in the middle of a busy period. Not ideal but we have a job to do.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #372: Nov 23, 2012 12:24:03 pm
      Rubbish. Put a strong team out last night and get the job done. One f*cking game.

It's not one game though is it, mate? You have wanted him to play a full team every game in Europe this season judging by your comments.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #373: Nov 23, 2012 12:34:09 pm
      It's not one game though is it, mate? You have wanted him to play a full team every game in Europe this season judging by your comments.

...and the squad would be entirely devoid of experience and quality at this stage of the game.
      The manager in all probability would not have had the choice of putting either Gerrard or Suarez into the fray if they had been forced to play more this season.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #374: Nov 23, 2012 12:40:55 pm
      I remember him playing a good side against Anzhi and got slated for it too from some quarters. He can't win at times.

As it was yesterday I thought the senior players that came off the bench showed a bit of contempt for the opposition and the competition.
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #375: Nov 23, 2012 12:53:50 pm

And if we had done the job would have been done now or maybe even after the anzhi game giving us 2 games grace.
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #376: Nov 23, 2012 12:55:15 pm
      I remember him playing a good side against Anzhi and got slated for it too from some quarters. He can't win at times.

As it was yesterday I thought the senior players that came off the bench showed a bit of contempt for the opposition and the competition.

Not by me. The anzhi game we had a stronger team out and we won. We have blown it against udinese and young boys at home
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #377: Nov 23, 2012 12:57:45 pm
      Not by me. The anzhi game we had a stronger team out and we won. We have blown it against udinese and young boys at home
      Can't argue with that either.
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #378: Nov 23, 2012 12:58:51 pm
      A joke selection ?

That was a team full of internationals and expirienced players.

That wasn't a team full of reserves or kids - they were all first team players.

That was a decent team picked - one more than capable of beating YB

Geoege lad if you had actually watched young boy's 2 games against udinese you will have seen that they were dangerous opposition who demanded our full respect and attention. We didn't give them that and we paid the price.

Im nor calling for BR's head here. Im simply stating my opinion that i am not happy with the way we are going about this european campaign. But hey ho eh...we wont be in europe next season and we wont be able to have this debate!
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #379: Nov 23, 2012 01:04:34 pm
      Geoege lad if you had actually watched young boy's 2 games against udinese you will have seen that they were dangerous opposition who demanded our full respect and attention. We didn't give them that and we paid the price.

Im nor calling for BR's head here. Im simply stating my opinion that i am not happy with the way we are going about this european campaign. But hey ho eh...we wont be in europe next season and we wont be able to have this debate!

What exactly do you expect us to do ?

Be the only club in the whole of football to play the same team week in week out for every single game -

Lets be honest here - that time was more than capable of beating YB and bar two quality strikes they nearly did - we didnt win last night not because of the team selection but because of a couple of mistakes.

Players like Suarez and co cant play every game.

And as far as im aware we are still we in with a chance of qualifying ? Unless something has changed since last night ?
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #380: Nov 23, 2012 01:05:12 pm

The same Udinese game where we were controlling things until Gerrard came on and we lost two quick goals ?
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #381: Nov 23, 2012 01:50:15 pm
      What exactly do you expect us to do ?

Be the only club in the whole of football to play the same team week in week out for every single game -

Lets be honest here - that time was more than capable of beating YB and bar two quality strikes they nearly did - we didnt win last night not because of the team selection but because of a couple of mistakes.

Players like Suarez and co cant play every game.

And as far as im aware we are still we in with a chance of qualifying ? Unless something has changed since last night ?

Get a grip lad. No they do not have to play every game. They should not have to play against Udinese as the job should be done now. As it is instead of potentially getting the job done last night, we left players out and ended up having to play them anyway in a salvage job and now we will have to potentially play them for 90mins against udinese when they should have been sat at home with their feet up!
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #382: Nov 23, 2012 01:54:37 pm
      The same Udinese game where we were controlling things until Gerrard came on and we lost two quick goals ?

Your obsession with Gerrard is strange....but I won't get involved in whatever agenda you have. If you want to discuss your complete dissatisfaction with all things Gerrard why don't you head over to his player thread and hammer away there instead of having little digs in here at the captain. The point is George that you give teams the proper respect. Not send out a team to try and wing it and give them encouragment.

If we had given this campaign proper attention we would already be qualified now and looking forward to the knockout phase in feb which is months away. We have not and if we go out well its going to be a long season fighting for the top ten isn't it!
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #383: Nov 23, 2012 01:54:46 pm
      Suarez didnt "have" to come on last night , just as Sterling didnt "have" to come on and exactly the same with Gerrard - their impacts made no positive difference.

That team was good enough to beat them last night.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #384: Nov 23, 2012 01:58:02 pm
      Your obsession with Gerrard is strange....but I won't get involved in whatever agenda you have. If you want to discuss your complete dissatisfaction with all things Gerrard why don't you head over to his player thread and hammer away there instead of having little digs in here at the captain. The point is George that you give teams the proper respect. Not send out a team to try and wing it and give them encouragment.

If we had given this campaign proper attention we would already be qualified now and looking forward to the knockout phase in feb which is months away. We have not and if we go out well its going to be a long season fighting for the top ten isn't it!

This competition is being respected by the manager.

You need to realise the situation within our squad

We are doing ok in that comp and still have a very good chance to qualify whilst at the same time - resting players and giving fringe players and up and coming youngsters mins on the pitch

It's called managing your squad to get the best out of them.
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #385: Nov 23, 2012 01:58:17 pm

That team was good enough to beat them last night.

It wasn't and it was proved so because we did not beat them! I am out of here.... :mad:

Roll on Sunday. Hope the boys are well rested and last nights mess it at least worth 3 league points!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #386: Nov 23, 2012 02:11:58 pm
      Suarez didnt "have" to come on last night , just as Sterling didnt "have" to come on and exactly the same with Gerrard - their impacts made no positive difference.

That is true.

I had no problem with the team last night and thought we could have just as easily won the game and then no one would be complaining about the team selection.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #387: Nov 23, 2012 02:50:28 pm
      I find some of the comments in here a bit odd, re: the team wasn't good enough to win. I think it absolutely was. What wasn't good enough to win was the attitude, especially in the last ten minutes.

Young Boys' first goal was absolute class. You can probably put that on Henderson being a wee bit out of position, but that was a wonder strike to be fair.

The second goal was more problematic for me as you can't pin that on one person. Sahin and Gerrard should been tracking back better, Carragher was left in no man's land in that he either had to step up and lose his marker or stay back, and Pepe should have done better on that shot. Very frustrating final 10.

Suso and Shelvey were absolute class and a joy to watch. Not sure why Brendan took Suso off for Suarez though. I would have thought either Assaidi or Cole would have made way with Suso taking either place. Cole did a good job as well.

So, not a total disaster, but not a good spot either. We played excellently at times, but I thought the attitude could have used some improvement.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #388: Nov 23, 2012 02:54:28 pm
      What was so F***ing annoying about their last minute goal was that just minutes before that they had a shot on the edge of the box with no one pressing that would flown in had it been to either side of Reina.

Yet a few minutes later we let them have another shot from distance, was embarrassing.

Don't think we can have any complaints if we're out in the group stage, one win from three at home is simply not good enough in Europe.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #389: Nov 23, 2012 04:32:59 pm
      That team we put out was more than good enough to win. All of the players were ex-internationals, current internationals, or u21/u19 internationals. We should've won. It was embarassing at the end.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #390: Nov 23, 2012 04:35:56 pm
      We are sh*te at defending,F**k pass completion rate or possession just stoop the ball going into the net.

Quick Reply