Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your Man of the Match tonight?

Shelvey
      15 (25.9%)
      Cole
      33 (56.9%)
      Suso
      5 (8.6%)
      Henderson
      1 (1.7%)
      Assaidi
      3 (5.2%)
      Gerrard
      1 (1.7%)
      Suarez
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Liverpool 2:2 Young Boys: In game & post match grumbles.

Read 25092 times
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,143 posts | 257 
      Re: Liverpool 2:2 Young Boys: In game & post match grumbles.
      Reply #391: Nov 23, 2012 05:08:01 pm
      Can't believe I have to choose Joe Cole my MOtM but imo he he's our best player on the pitch last night. Feel sad for the result but except don't want to see Hendo play RB I understand BR's decisions, things just not go the way he want.

Other thing I'm feel not so good is the way BR sat with expression of "I can't do any better" on his face just before the end of the game. I love to see our boss shout from sideline encouraging his players to fight and try harder and instruct them to do the right thing as I believe the observer always see the whole game better than players on the pitch.  Or I'm asking too much :)

Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #392: Nov 23, 2012 05:12:37 pm
      Thought I'd reflect on what I saw last night sat in the Kop.

Firstly I personally wasn't happy with the starting eleven when it got read out, why? I felt it made more sense to play a side more like the one in the second half against Wigan due to the fact looking forward, we could get away (like in Russia) with not making the big stars travel to Italyl.

All this said I was quite impressed with the way the lads played, I've a lot of time for Downing as a left back especially if there's emphasis on the attacking side of the position which is the case at home against the majority of teams.

I thought Suso was excellent at times and I'm guessing it's down to his energy levels that he's deemed unable to play the full 90, as I felt when he went off me missed his guile between the two lines.

Assaidi did well at times but one thing I'd bring up about him which may not be as apparent watching on tv, numerous times when either Wisdom, Henderson, Cole or Sterling were in a good crossing position he was jogging along behind the right back, letting himself be marked. At no point did he look to want to sprint to get on the end of any cross that was fired across. He needs to work on this as especially in the first half his trickery was a constant threat.

I was disappointed with Gerrard's contribution when he came on, I didn't think his or Sterlings substutions really worked and question weather bringing Sterling on in the game sitiuation was the right one as we'd just taken the lead.

Another big gripe was the idiot sat behind me who blamed, Glen 'I'm actually not on the field and am in fact Andre Wisdom' Johnson for his part in one of the build ups early on! Told his mate looks like Sterlings warming up when said player was in yellow and black socks & YB's tracksuit(yes it was an away sub). This was just a few snippets of some gems that came out of the fans mouth!

Big shout out to the away fans who I thought were excellent, at one point because of the banter they were having with the lads near them in the main stand I actually heard our famous Anfield roar still too few and far between though IMO, too many people there happy to sit. watch and moan.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #393: Nov 23, 2012 09:07:45 pm
      Quote from George Lucas
      What exactly do you expect us to do ?

Be the only club in the whole of football to play the same team week in week out for every single game -

Lets be honest here - we didnt win last night not because of the team selection but because of a couple of mistakes.

Players like Suarez and co cant play every game.

And as far as im aware we are still we in with a chance of qualifying ? Unless something has changed since last night ?

We have dropped half the points on offer, and now have the most difficult away game remaining to try and get the job done.

If this was the CL, far stronger teams would have been played, regardless of squad depth, injuries, or tiredness. It is European football though. Not every side in the country gets to play it, and it's unlikely we'll get the chance next year. Suarez and co are not paid 6 figure amounts every month to sit on the bench or alternatively at home, their job is to play football games for Liverpool when fit and available, and they're well compensated for it.

As for the couple of mistakes, it's not just "a couple of mistakes", it's the kind that have been happening all season, and nothing is been done about them. Hence why we have won 1 of the last 7 games.

Winning last night would have not got the job done either, only winning the group and avoiding the Ajaxs and Benficas away second leg next round would have. Then the job is done, and it should be by now. 
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #394: Nov 23, 2012 09:40:00 pm
      So you think because we pay them a decent wage they should play every game ?

We did that with Torres and he was ruined - half of Gerrards injuries could have been diverted if he didn't play at every single opportunity in the past.

It's no longer about just the best 11 - it's about utilising the whole of your squad to enable them to be strong throughout the season as opposed to withering away in feb !

The priority is the league then the cups - manage the squad around the league whilst also trying to get through in the cups.

I would fully expect the first people to complain if Suarez got injured in a cup game would be the people demanding stronger teams are played.

It's not the CL it's Europa - which is important but not as much as doing well in the prem.

But it's good that its already decided that its unlikely we will play European Football next season !!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #395: Nov 23, 2012 09:43:39 pm
      But it's good that its already decided that its unlikely we will play European Football next season !!

Seen this bandied about in a few places recently, truly is astounding if anyone truly believes that at this stage and if you do believe that I'd simply have to say get a grip.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #396: Nov 23, 2012 09:47:08 pm
      Seen this bandied about in a few places recently, truly is astounding if anyone truly believes that at this stage and if you do believe that I'd simply have to say get a grip.

It's amazing it really is ?!

On one hand we have people wishing Chelsea do well just so Rafa can do well

And then on the other we have BR letting the traditions of the club down or we are already out of Europe next season !!

lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #397: Nov 23, 2012 09:59:29 pm
      Quote from George Lucas
      So you think because we pay them a decent wage they should play every game ?

For the third time, it's their job. That's what they're here for, to play for LFC.

We did that with Torres and he was ruined - half of Gerrards injuries could have been diverted if he didn't play at every single opportunity in the past.

No we didn't, and no he didn't.

It's no longer about just the best 11

The priority is the league then the cups - manage the squad around the league whilst also trying to get through in the cups.

There's no priority. The most important game is always the next one.

I would fully expect the first people to complain if Suarez got injured in a cup game would be the people demanding stronger teams are played.

And if they were, they would be wrong.

It's not the CL it's Europa

It's European football either way. 

We've won 3 games all year, and are 6 points off the relegation zone. That's not form that will win a European spot, let alone that precious 4th place, which might still be a UEFA Cup place anyway. 
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #398: Nov 23, 2012 10:03:19 pm

We've won 3 games all year, and are 6 points off the relegation zone. That's not form that will win a European spot, let alone that precious 4th place, which might still be a UEFA Cup place anyway. 

Yet we are only 8 points out of 4th, guess it all depends how you want to paint the picture. :mad:
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #399: Nov 23, 2012 10:07:52 pm
      For the third time, it's their job. That's what they're here for, to play for LFC.

This is no regular job - this is professional sports where you require your players to be 100% fully fit to enable to get top performance from them - to allow for that then they get rested when the opportunity arises - its called modern professional football and is happening in every single team to allow prime performance.

Its why clubs spend so much money on conditioning coaches.

No we didn't, and no he didn't.

We clearly did - numerous times both have been rushed back from injuries and play in every single game until the edge of burnout.
      There's no priority. The most important game is always the next one.

Yes there is a priority - it helps when you look at the bigger picture as opposed to the next game - we have 3 games in 6 days coming up - so i would like Suarez and CO to be fully fit for those games.

And if they were, they would be wrong.

It's European football either way. 

There is a massive difference between the CL and Europa

We are also unbeaten in the league in 8 games now - top of the form table and moving up the real table - moved up 7 places in the last month or so and now only 8 points away from 4th. Me personally am not prepared to write of anything just yet and will show a bit more faith in the team and manager.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #400: Nov 23, 2012 11:08:35 pm

I'm not sure I've read too many posts with that opinion George.

I actually think we have a chance of getting into the Champions League so I think it's very likely we will be playing in some sort of European football next season.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #401: Nov 24, 2012 12:18:09 am
      Other thing I'm feel not so good is the way BR sat with expression of "I can't do any better" on his face just before the end of the game. I love to see our boss shout from sideline encouraging his players to fight and try harder and instruct them to do the right thing as I believe the observer always see the whole game better than players on the pitch.  Or I'm asking too much :)

Agreed  and for this weeks debate ..... will Hendo ever get a shot on the target ?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #402: Nov 24, 2012 12:19:46 am
      Agreed  and for this weeks debate ..... will Hendo ever get a shot on the target ?

Yeah every time he flicks his barnet he hits that target like a professional..........oh you meant shots at goal!!
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #403: Nov 24, 2012 08:47:42 am
      Quote from: George Lucas
      We clearly did - numerous times both have been rushed back from injuries and play in every single game until the edge of burnout.

They both sat out most cup games in the past 6 years. They played the majority of league games, as is the case with the first team now. The result of all this resting and prioritising of them and others, was one trophy in 6 years. The cost of not playing games was 20-odd trophies, no CL for the past 3 years, millions in lost revenue, 3 coaches sacked, and in Torres case, a transfer elsewhere. You call it "modern professional football to allow prime performance", I call it a "criminal waste of resources". 

Yes there is a priority - it helps when you look at the bigger picture as opposed to the next game - we have 3 games in 6 days coming up - so i would like Suarez and CO to be fully fit for those games.

They are full time professionals, who like in every other job, have to cope with busy periods. Professionals don't prioritise, they just methodically get the job done, and move onto the next one.

There is a massive difference between the CL and Europa

Despite all the tinkering and rebranding done, they are the same trophies they were 50 years ago, and we've won the current competition we're in 3 times. The memories and experiences from them last forever.

We are also unbeaten in the league in 8 games now - top of the form table and moving up the real table - moved up 7 places in the last month or so and now only 8 points away from 4th. Me personally am not prepared to write of anything just yet and will show a bit more faith in the team and manager.

He finished 11th last year, he is 11th now. The 8 points off a UEFA Cup spot last season, is that much greater when you realise the strength of the opposition above us.

Winning the form table is not something to crack the champagne for. 11th wasn't good enough for us 2 years ago, and it's certainly not good enough now.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #404: Nov 24, 2012 10:31:38 am

Professionals don't prioritise, they just methodically get the job done, and move onto the next one.

I'm fairly sure they do.  If not, that's very unprofessional.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #405: Nov 24, 2012 05:39:11 pm
      I'm fairly sure they do.  If not, that's very unprofessional.

Yeah don't know too many engineers/doctors/lawyers etc that don't prioritize what they do, as you said rodders truly unprofessional if they don't.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #406: Nov 24, 2012 05:52:39 pm
      They both sat out most cup games in the past 6 years. They played the majority of league games, as is the case with the first team now. The result of all this resting and prioritising of them and others, was one trophy in 6 years. The cost of not playing games was 20-odd trophies, no CL for the past 3 years, millions in lost revenue, 3 coaches sacked, and in Torres case, a transfer elsewhere. You call it "modern professional football to allow prime performance", I call it a "criminal waste of resources". 

They are full time professionals, who like in every other job, have to cope with busy periods. Professionals don't prioritise, they just methodically get the job done, and move onto the next one.

Despite all the tinkering and rebranding done, they are the same trophies they were 50 years ago, and we've won the current competition we're in 3 times. The memories and experiences from them last forever.

He finished 11th last year, he is 11th now. The 8 points off a UEFA Cup spot last season, is that much greater when you realise the strength of the opposition above us.

Winning the form table is not something to crack the champagne for. 11th wasn't good enough for us 2 years ago, and it's certainly not good enough now.

You seem to argue from that tried and trusted stand point that if I continue to say something enough times it must be true, the true outcome is people will become bored and simply ignore you. You've been given balanced reasons why that's an outdated and pretty universally agreed to be wrong view but I'm sure you'll continue to believe it even though I'd wager every team that win the premiership from now until forever will use the rotation system.

"They are full time professionals, who like in every other job, have to cope with busy periods. Professionals don't prioritise, they just methodically get the job done, and move onto the next one."

This statement is just completely false, I'm not even sure how you could possibly come to this conclusion.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #407: Nov 24, 2012 05:52:43 pm

I'm not sure really where to start with all that !?

One minute it seems like you are very new to football and the next like you are stuck in a time warp.

Are you really suggesting that resting players had cost us CL football and 20 plus trophies ?!?

As for your truly amazing statements about professionals not prioritising ?!? Did you even think before you posted that ? Seriously ?

Everything in life has priorities

Both the CL and Europa league are two different tournaments than in recent years - it maybe the same trophies but its remarkably different tournaments

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #408: Nov 24, 2012 06:56:58 pm

Both the CL and Europa league are two different tournaments than in recent years - it maybe the same trophies but its remarkably different tournaments

And I still think that that the aim of Liverpool Football Club should be to win every possible trophy by playing our strongest team.We should not be in a position of having to sweat out the result of our last group stage match to go through.We should not of slipped up against Young Boys but we did, so if we are to progress in this competition Brendan will have no option but to put his strongest team out against Udinese.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #409: Nov 24, 2012 07:01:57 pm
      And I still think that that the aim of Liverpool Football Club should be to win every possible trophy by playing our strongest team.We should not be in a position of having to sweat out the result of our last group stage match to go through.We should not of slipped up against Young Boys but we did, so if we are to progress in this competition Brendan will have no option but to put his strongest team out against Udinese.

But you cant play your strongest team in every single game - we have 3 very important league games coming up - yes we want to win every single game so you utilize your full squad.

We didnt just draw because we dint play 3 players. We drew because we switched off.

We are still in a good position to go through.

I still cant believe BR is getting so much flak currently.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #410: Nov 24, 2012 07:08:51 pm
      But you cant play your strongest team in every single game - we have 3 very important league games coming up - yes we want to win every single game so you utilize your full squad.

I think we should play our strongest team in every game and if a player is not up to the stress replace him with a sub,that is what the subs are for.I go back to Bill Shankly using 14 players in a full season now don't tell me the game was easier then or I will tell you different.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #411: Nov 24, 2012 07:12:54 pm
      I think we should play our strongest team in every game and if a player is not up to the stress replace him with a sub,that is what the subs are for.I go back to Bill Shankly using 14 players in a full season now don't tell me the game was easier then or I will tell you different.

The game has moved on - players are assessed to ensure they are in prime physical condition.

The game wasn't easier back then - it was different.

It's now a squad game not just first 11 or even 15 - they play more games the intensity and pressure is massive

We can't play our strongest 11 in every single game - it's not physically a good idea because you start to stretch the players to the limits and then they break down.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #412: Nov 24, 2012 07:13:25 pm

With all due respect Billy the players are in a different league when it comes to fitness than they were in the past.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #413: Nov 24, 2012 07:13:30 pm

Don't think any  of the players are the same as they were though Billy. Back in the day over here American footballers played with no helmets or with leather ones..tough guys indeed but that generation of players is never coming back.

In retrospect could you imagine Billy the anger if Brendan played Suarez in every minute of every game and he suffered a significant injury? I can honestly say (not meaning you) that many of those that subscribed to playing Suarez/Stevie every game without rest would be some of the first complaining about poor man-management and Brendan running our two best players into the ground.

I understand where you are coming from but it is a proven medical fact that not resting players on occasion and running them until they drop will lead to players being out for a significant time with injury.

I believe the onus here is on the ownership for not giving Brendan the players he needs and forcing him to make choices like he has to.

Sometimes I feel for the gaffer, don't think he is getting a fair shake from any side.

Quick Reply