Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Preview: Liverpool v Southampton - Dec. 1, 2012 1500 BST

Read 11304 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Preview: Liverpool v Southampton - Dec. 1, 2012 1500 BST
      Nov 29, 2012 09:06:13 pm
      v

Liverpool v Southampton
            1500 BST, Anfield
           16 points | 12 points
      Match Official:Michael Oliver

Following a disappointing 2-1 defeat at White Heart Lane midweek, the Reds have amble opportunity to get on the right track when they take on Southampton on Saturday at Anfield. Kickoff is at 1500 BST.

Liverpool disappointed at Spurs, conceding two goals in the opening 20 minutes and only managing to pull one back through a Gareth Bale own goal -- which was the fifth own goal scored to Liverpool's benefit this season (3 in the Premier League and 2 in the Europa League).

The Reds currently sit in the 12th place on 16 points -- just 3 wins from 14 matches -- while the Saints are currently in a relegation place in 18th with 12 points. Still early days, but coming up to the midway point of the season being complete in a few fixtures, both sides hope to see an improvement in the standings entering the difficult Christmas calendar.

The match marks a few notable returns: Brendan Rodgers confirmed in his pre-match press conference that Lucas Leiva is available for selection. The Brazilian's fitness is the first time Rodgers has been able to call upon the Brazilian midfielder since a thigh injury during warm-ups against Manchester City back in August.

Another return to Anfield in this match is that of Nigel Adkins. The Southampton manager was born in Birkenhead and was a youth goalkeeper for the Reds before playing for Tranmere Rovers.

Previously against Southampton....

The Reds have not played the Saints since Jan. 2005, when Liverpool was on the wrong end to a 2-0 scoreline at St. Mary's. On Southampton's previous visit to Anfield in Dec. 2004, the Reds edged a 1-0 win thanks to Florent Sinama-Pongolle's first half strike.

---

(Never done this before - hopefully this was good enough for a pre-match thread!)
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Preview: Liverpool v Southampton - Dec. 1, 2012 1500 BST
      Reply #1: Nov 29, 2012 09:15:15 pm
      Fine effort TRM, thanks for that.

Can't say I'm looking forward to this game, just want to get to 5pm on Saturday and have 3 points in the bag and breath a massive sigh of relief because now is not the time to face a banana skin.

Can't even say I'm confident because I can see none of the middle 3 changing so we'll be relying on Suarez again. Hopefully Wisdom is fit again, therefore pushing Downing out of the side otherwise expect them to double up on the right hand side time and again and while they're 3 off the bottom they haven't been struggling scoring.

It says everything that we come to this game and I'm even contemplating anything other than an easy win, no confidence at all in our midfield.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: Nov 29, 2012 10:00:13 pm
      Great OP TRM.
      Lets hope Suarez is back in the goals.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #3: Nov 29, 2012 10:30:14 pm
      Southampton should be cannon fodder to us isnt it about time a team coming to Anfield was well and truly hammered
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #4: Nov 29, 2012 11:48:04 pm
      They're playing some really good football from what i've seen, but we really should win.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #5: Nov 30, 2012 12:02:22 am
      Back at Anfield for this one, probably the least excited I've been for a game for a while. Hope I'm more up for it come Saturday morning.

I'd go for:

Reina; Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson; Lucas, Allen, Shelvey; Sterling, Suarez Enrique.

Gerrard won't be dropped though, not sure if Lucas will start either.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #6: Nov 30, 2012 12:52:14 am
      Well i'm F***ing terrified to be honest. They play some decent flowing attacking footy, and where we are at the moment, I'm losing confidence in our ability to change from the obviously predictable. If they sit back and counter, I fear we won't be able to break them down. I was believing we could be on the way up the table, but after the last two games, I think we are looking more like a mid table side that ever before. We play some decent stuff, but so do Norwich, Swansea, West Ham, Newcastle, and Fulham at times. And when your rivals ( traditionally) don't even bother to check on our results because we'er not seen as a threat to them anymore, that's worrying. I hope Lucas gets some minutes but don't expect much from him at the mo, other than that i wish for a clean sheet, pray for a win, and hope for nothing less than a draw.
       Totally dissilusioned at present, and don't see too much light while we keep playing Henderson and Downing together. We can't aford to carry two players, especially the way Gerrard is performing at the moment, so like to see the team before I predict.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #7: Nov 30, 2012 01:15:53 am
      Southampton at home shouldn't worry me in the slightest but right now it does.

The team I hope to see will probably not be the one the manager picks as I feel he will go for a very similar side to the Spurs game so I only hope the players selected repay the faith shown by the boss.

My team

Reina

Wisdom  Skrtel  Agger  Johnson

Sahin

Shelvey  Suso

Sterling  Suarez  Enrique

Great OP by the way TRM.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8: Nov 30, 2012 01:33:39 am
      Southampton at home shouldn't worry me in the slightest but right now it does.

The team I hope to see will probably not be the one the manager picks as I feel he will go for a very similar side to the Spurs game so I only hope the players selected repay the faith shown by the boss.

My team

Reina

Wisdom  Skrtel  Agger  Johnson

Sahin

Shelvey  Suso

Sterling  Suarez  Enrique

Great OP by the way TRM.

I'd agree with you on team choice, even though it's a little weak in defensive midfield, simply because I think the best way to win this game is score more than them (hmm.. obviously, you get what I mean). While Southampton haven't struggled to score too much this season, the reason they're in the bottom 3 is their defence is absolutely awful and I think this team would get the 3 points and a confidence boosting few goals.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #9: Nov 30, 2012 01:36:30 am
                         Reina
                Skrtel Coates Agger
      Johnson    Allen Sahin      Enrique
                 Suso           Sterling
                         Suarez
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #10: Nov 30, 2012 01:36:50 am
      That's how I see it as we aren't looking that solid even with Allen sitting deep along with Gerrard as well most of the time so I 'd go for a complete chaneg and see if Sahin's quality, of which I haven't seen too much of yet by the way, added to the attacking talents of the two young guys can give us something different in midfield.

Reina
                Skrtel Coates Agger
      Johnson    Allen Sahin      Enrique
                 Suso           Sterling
                         Suarez

Interesting Diego. I like that as well.
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #11: Nov 30, 2012 02:47:34 am
      Hopefully we keep a clean sheet and look dangerous in attack. I would be pleased with a 1-0 win to relieve the pressure on Brendan.
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #12: Nov 30, 2012 02:51:55 am
      Well beware of the saints they have scoring power which we lack, brendan time to give stevie a rest also downing and henderson.But think there defence is suspect so if we score first could be a lot of goals,like to see other players get on the scoresheet other than saurez. Think shelvey needs a full 90 minutes as he is always looking for goals and is on the up and up. 
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #13: Nov 30, 2012 02:58:19 am
      I don't want to see allen or gerrard in this game. Play sahin there with lucas and shelvey infront of them.

I am going for a draw, 0-0
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #14: Nov 30, 2012 06:59:11 am
      I don't want to see allen or gerrard in this game. Play sahin there with lucas and shelvey infront of them.

I am going for a draw, 0-0

Lucas is going to sub in at the 60 minute mark no way does he start.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #15: Nov 30, 2012 07:23:04 am
      Lucas is going to sub in at the 60 minute mark no way does he start.

I thought he played for reserves last week.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #16: Nov 30, 2012 08:41:30 am
      Well.....nothing less than 3 points on Saturday!

Cant see Lucas starting, think he'll come off the bench around the 65 minute mark reagardless of how the game is going. Who plays centre midfield at the moment is a the big question because none of them are in form but Southampton knock it around well so whoever plays there will need to boss and control the game.

Would start with Jonjo and maybe Sahin and shift Stevie wide right but that wont happen.

Pepe

Johnson  Skrtel   Agger   Enrique

Allen          Shelvey
                          Sahin

Gerrard      Suarez      Sterling
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #17: Nov 30, 2012 08:46:01 am
      Southampton should be cannon fodder to us isnt it about time a team coming to Anfield was well and truly hammered

Absolutely Walton.

If we cant hammer these then we have more serious issues than I thought.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #18: Nov 30, 2012 08:49:51 am
      Absolutely Walton.

If we cant hammer these then we have more serious issues than I thought.

I don't think they are a bad team. They played some good passing games this season. Remember the game against city.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #19: Nov 30, 2012 09:01:54 am
      I don't think any team in the prem can be considered cannon fodder anymore. Got to be careful and just ensure we get 3 points.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #20: Nov 30, 2012 09:10:16 am
      I don't think any team in the prem can be considered cannon fodder anymore. Got to be careful and just ensure we get 3 points.
      +1

May be spurs considering us like that ;)
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,516 posts | 3460 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #21: Nov 30, 2012 10:35:55 am
                  Reina
      Widsom Skrtel  Agger  Johnson
             Gerrard Allen
               Shelvey
      Sterling  Suarez   Enrique
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #22: Nov 30, 2012 12:44:48 pm
      Reina; Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger (c), Johnson; Sahin, Allen, Suso; Sterling, Suarez, Enrique.
      Jones; Coates, Carragher; Lucas, Henderson, Shelvey, Gerrard.

Gerrard isn't going to be dropped though, so it'll likely be that just Gerrard switched with Suso.

3-1 win. Suarez needs to find some form back again, and that is crucial. Suarez x2, and I really hope Suso gets a goal. Suso is one of the few players left, that really looks like he cares. COME ON YOU REDS.

Quick Reply