Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Steven Gerrard
      5 (4.1%)
      Jose Enrique
      43 (35%)
      Glen Johnson
      9 (7.3%)
      Lucas Leiva
      46 (37.4%)
      Luis Suarez
      4 (3.3%)
      Daniel Agger
      15 (12.2%)
      Jonjo Shelvey
      1 (0.8%)
      Someone else
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Voting closed: Dec 05, 2012 04:55:16 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Southampton: In game and Post Match debates

Read 43127 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Southampton: In game and Post Match debates
      Reply #483: Dec 01, 2012 05:42:15 pm
      Just out of work so delighted to see this scoreline

A win is a win and I'll take 5 more if these before the end of the month.

Anyone care to give me quick synopsis of the game?
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #484: Dec 01, 2012 05:42:52 pm
      Welcome back Mr Gerrard !

Lucas back playing gave him and Allen so much more freedom
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #485: Dec 01, 2012 05:44:09 pm

Played well 1st half, should have score more, faded second, Lucas v. good come back game.  Suarez booked and misses west Ham game.
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #486: Dec 01, 2012 05:47:24 pm
      Can't beat that winning feeling whilst playing some lovely football. We just lacked that clinical edge.
      But all in all a great day with good results all around, as every one else in  genuine contention for European football dropped points(impart from Spurs).
      We're Only 7 points off third now :D, if we can maintain or improve on this into early January i'd be very happy. Hopefully then the owners will give the backing, to get them missing pieces that the squad so desperately needs.
      CHAMPIONS LEAGUE IS VERY POSSIBLE!!!! KEEP THE FAITH
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #487: Dec 01, 2012 05:47:28 pm
      We played third from bottom today, at home with a full squad, a couple of years ago the would have been a blood bath

Sorry, but wrong. a couple of decades yes, years no, in fact we'd have lost this type of game.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #488: Dec 01, 2012 05:55:35 pm
      Played well 1st half, should have score more, faded second, Lucas v. good come back game.  Suarez booked and misses west Ham game.

Cheers Rodders.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #489: Dec 01, 2012 05:58:10 pm
      Just out of work so delighted to see this scoreline

A win is a win and I'll take 5 more if these before the end of the month.

Completely battered them in the first half, to be honest it could of been 4 or 5 by half-time.

Shelvey hit the post with a cracking drive from just inside the box on the right hand side, hit it so hard the keeper didn't see it until it rebounded past him back out. (hit the far post)

Then Luis hit the bar with an great free kick just outside the box on the far left hand side, keeper beaten again and finally got the goal with a great cross from Glen I think it was to which Agger did a brilliant header from around the penalty spot jumping away from goal, was a really cracking header.

Lucas made all the difference, broke down any possession they had and quick passing got us on our way again, Gerrard had a couple of nice opportunities made by his quick passing but his shooting boots seem filled with lead these days. Movement throughout the team was much better and Allen was arriving in the box or around it constantly, didn't think he had a great game again but still look more comfortable in this position.

2nd Half they got some of the ball to begin with and had a couple of half chances but nothing that ever worried you then we slowly grew into control again and we should of finished it off but for a few sloppy passes at the end of moves or wasteful shots. Lucas played the full 90 which was a surprise, Henderson came on for Allen and immediately had the impact you'd expect, followed by many a moan why he'd come on. Basically broke down the right with Sterling, great chance and just contrived to make a prat of himself to be honest.

Enrique had an outstanding game again, relentless running and real touches of skill, had one really good shot saved from just in from the byline, left handside on the half volley after a pass from Gerrard I think, sat up for him while we had options in the box, really leathered it though great technique. Also had a lovely 1 - 2 with Luis that set him clean through, awesome pass from Luis and should of scored, just fizzed wide. To be honest 5 - 0 would of been a fair result and people moaning that we were poor not to put more away only have a point that we weren't clinical enough, poor shouldn't come anywhere near the description of the performance, we were excellent, although I temper that only because we were against Southampton.
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #490: Dec 01, 2012 05:58:35 pm
      Finally we have our real defensive unit playing together. Really happy with the defensive unit today. And ;D how good are our defenders with the ball in their feet and it was a pleasure to see the passive and attacking movement of our full backs. I think this transformation is due to the presence of Lucas which have given them the confidence to attack knowing a rock is behind them.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #491: Dec 01, 2012 05:59:12 pm
      We played third from bottom today, at home with a full squad, a couple of years ago the would have been a blood bath, not like that any more that what i mean poor.
      League positions don't necessarily paint a true picture, Southampton are nobodies push over and never have been.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #492: Dec 01, 2012 06:00:02 pm
      No one in the prem are pushovers and there are no teams that are canon fodder.
      Aggeraphobia
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 212 posts |
      Reply #493: Dec 01, 2012 06:03:04 pm
      After Spurs all I wanted from this game is a win and we got it, that will do for me.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #494: Dec 01, 2012 06:03:55 pm
      No one in the prem are pushovers and there are no teams that are canon fodder.

Derby County were sh*te.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #495: Dec 01, 2012 06:05:34 pm
      1-0 flatter Sunderland there. We were very professional in the 2nd half, although it would have been nice to take another chance or 2 and put the game to bed. You can defend and be as solid as we were today but you never know when it's 1-0. Deflection, piece of brilliance by someone like Ramirez or a mistake by someone and all the good work is undone.

Happy with the performance and result though.

Gave Enrique motm again. That spell out of the team has worked very well. He's playing like he did when we first signed him.

Only negatives today were, as always, not putting the game to bed with some decent chances. All in all, a very good game. Must be almost caught up to Arsenal now.
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #496: Dec 01, 2012 06:06:09 pm

Henderson came on for Allen and immediately had the impact you'd expect
      :lmao:

That's an acute observation buddy.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #497: Dec 01, 2012 06:08:56 pm

So were Swindon that one year
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #498: Dec 01, 2012 06:14:32 pm
      I gave MOTM to Lucas, simply because it was an awesome display for a player who has been out for more or less a year, with only a few games in that time.

Most under rated player in the League.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #499: Dec 01, 2012 06:28:29 pm
      Sorry, but wrong. a couple of decades yes, years no, in fact we'd have lost this type of game.

Disagree.
      Last year before Lucas was injured, we would probably have won it the same, with about the same stats (20+ shots, 2+ on wood, and only one goal, were the usual stats in first half of last year, when we were also one of the best defense in the league, so a 1-0 would have been probable).
      Two years ago I remember Hodgson was criticized by owners for "stopping to play when we have a 3 goals advantage at home" (yes we had a decent home form especially against weak opposition with several 2 or 3-0 in first half of the season even if his football was appaling long balls, and his results out of Anfield extremely bad).
      Three years ago (imagining a very exceptionnal moment where we would have had both Gerrard and Torres fit) we would have certainly won it as well.
      Four years ago, ok, we would probably have lost it, but it's because we were competing with Utd for the league (so a score like 1-2 after 2 strange penalties and some players sent out could be expected ;) ).
      Other years Benitez had some bad result against this kind of teams, but because he was resting players to prepare CL games or they were injured, when he played a full first team he was more often largely winning.
      In all Houillier years I don't think we failed more than two or three times to beat relegation fodder at home, there were some 1-0 but a 2+ goals margin was more usual, as far I remember.
      Not to belittle Rodgers but a 1-0 result at home against one of the weakest team in the league, would only have been considered good in some very rare very bad periods in Liverpool history (I only remember 4 : last years of Souness, 3 last months of Benitez, 3 last months of Hodgson, 6 last months of Kenny). In every over period it would have been considered a minimum one and rather disappointing.
      Now considering three of these very bad periods were in the three last years, ok I guess we can be happy. :)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #500: Dec 01, 2012 06:33:07 pm

Who? :P
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,249 posts | 1000 
      Reply #501: Dec 01, 2012 06:49:28 pm
      I gave MOTM to Lucas, simply because it was an awesome display for a player who has been out for more or less a year, with only a few games in that time.

Most under rated player in the League.

I gave it to Lucas too , for exactly the same reasons.
      I have to say though , that Enrique was immense and he would have been my choice , but for Lucas.
      It is just so good to have Lucas back , he's been missed.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #502: Dec 01, 2012 07:01:05 pm
      Didn't see the game, was in the cinema with me neice watching 'Rise of the Guardians' (altho she slept through most of it) but just delighted with the 3 points.

Happy Days :-)
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #503: Dec 01, 2012 07:13:45 pm
      Can't make my mind up for MOTM right now.

Lucas really made a difference, it's great to have him back and long may it continue!
      Luis was so busy and dangerous coming in from the wing.
      Glen got forward so many times and caused problems.
      As did Enrique, and he must be full of confidence the amount of shots he had.
      Agger scored and played well.
      Pepe, Skrtel, Stevie, Allen, Raheem and Jonjo all played their part in a well deserved win

We should have been well ahead by half-time, but we weren't.  To end up with another precious home win and a clean sheet isn't a disaster!  Even if it was "only Southampton".  Great first half without the rewards, did fine in keeping the lead in the second half.

After all that, I'm going for Lucas as MOTM with Agger and Enrique as close seconds.  Just because I think he gave the rest of our midfield the confidence to be able to not ignore, but not focus on their defensive duties, he seems to give the team confidence in that department.  And he did his job well, and made some sweet passes to get us attacking.

Welcome back Lucas!  We have missed you so much!

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #504: Dec 01, 2012 07:38:24 pm
      For me the ambition for the rest of the season is to try our best to puncture the 60 point mark. It doesn't sound like a very ambitious target but it would provide a good platform to build on for next season. From our last 10 games we've averaged 1.7 points. If we continued that for the remaining 23 games (added to the scant points we got at the start of the season) we'd finish with around 58 points - the same total we got two seasons back. IF we could just push that average up a tiny bit more then we'd be good. We've not gone past 60+ since Benitez's last season. This month will be crucial though. We could push that points average up significantly and provided we strengthen in January then there is no reason to comfortably sail past 60+. The main point here is that it is very important that we just don't get beat. We've complained that we've only won 4 games this year but we've drawn many and too many see draws as a negative. I see it as a very positive contribution to the cause. Not a negative. First lesson is to never get beat...especially given the situation Liverpool were in earlier this year. 1 loss in the last 10 games ain't too bad but we have to make sure we continue to just lose the odd game here and there in the league. Certainly after a loss like midweek, it's great to bounce back with a solid win to lessen the pain of the Spurs match. Let's continue to just allow the table to tick over with points. To borrow from the Team GB cycling squad It's all about 'the aggregation of marginal gains'.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #505: Dec 01, 2012 07:57:08 pm
      That was so much better. Feels good winning and performing like that. So many positives to take.

What a difference a Lucas Leiva makes.

Wouldn't it be great if Werner and Henry looked at that today and realised what a clinical top notch striker would add to this team and thought 'You know what? F**k it!! Lets go out and and bust our bollocks and splash 20 million odd quid on a top, top out and out goalscorer'.

Lets keep it going!

Quick Reply