Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Steven Gerrard
      5 (4.1%)
      Jose Enrique
      43 (35%)
      Glen Johnson
      9 (7.3%)
      Lucas Leiva
      46 (37.4%)
      Luis Suarez
      4 (3.3%)
      Daniel Agger
      15 (12.2%)
      Jonjo Shelvey
      1 (0.8%)
      Someone else
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Voting closed: Dec 05, 2012 04:55:16 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Southampton: In game and Post Match debates

Read 43103 times
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Southampton: In game and Post Match debates
      Reply #529: Dec 02, 2012 07:32:02 am
      Great win and a good all round performance, we were solid in midfield with Lucas back
       Was going to give MOTM to LUCAS , for the performance and the comeback, but opted to Enrique, he was immence today ( IMHO he is better at left than LM)

shame for the Suarez card, no real striker for next game , but  I think we can manage, for one game ,

YNWA
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,696 posts | 880 
      Reply #530: Dec 02, 2012 07:38:49 am
      They also scored a clear goal that was disallowed..

They did yes, but that's a separate matter entirely.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #531: Dec 02, 2012 10:01:29 am
      Waited all afternoon and evening to watch match of the day - not knowing the score - and it was a drab 1-0.
      I dId exactly the same, but when I saw the running order I knew we'd won !
      I wouldn't say it was Drab but I'll take 1-0 wins for every game thank you very much, A win is a win and its what we want more than anything else !
      Lucas M.O.M for me.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #532: Dec 02, 2012 10:03:50 am
      Three points; clean sheet and plenty of good attacking play: what's not to like?

What I did notice yesterday was a willingness (freedom?) to play a longer, quicker, ball... there's your missing penetration right there.

Nice to see Lucas back to give both Allen and Gerrard more security to push forward. I know it's been done to death (and I'm guilty of mentioning it maybe too often) but we can't underestimate the difference which the wee man makes to the shape and balance of the team: his absence, both in the early part of this season and most of last season, definitely cost us points. So a big welcome back for Lucas.

In a season where our stated aim was to "concentrate on the League" it's all about points; I've a feeling this could be the kick-start to a purple patch. Well in lads.  :nod:

Enrique my MoTM btw.  ;D
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #533: Dec 02, 2012 10:28:58 am
      Waited all afternoon and evening to watch match of the day - not knowing the score - and it was a drab 1-0.

Lots of woodwork and silly decisions again. I mean, what do we have to do to get a penalty??? Man U picked up another soft one today. It's a joke.
      drab????really,bloody no pleasing some folk from my eyes we twatted them of the park and looked very good ,especially with Lucas back freeing up Steve and joe,Enrique and Suarez buzzing about,players passing and moving well,but if you Call that drab so be it.:-)
      redcod81
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Reply #534: Dec 02, 2012 12:22:44 pm
      drab????really,bloody no pleasing some folk from my eyes we twatted them of the park and looked very good ,especially with Lucas back freeing up Steve and joe,Enrique and Suarez buzzing about,players passing and moving well,but if you Call that drab so be it.:-)
      MOTD highlights were quite poo to be honest ,they did'nt show a few good counter attacks we had which just the final pass was missing .We were much better than them clips.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #535: Dec 02, 2012 12:42:50 pm
      For a change, I only want to say good things ..... very happy with the win even though it's only 1-0 as predicted, don't mind having the same score for the remaining matches till end of Dec.. Agger scored which demonstrated to the rest of the lads that they can also do it and not rely solely on Suarez. Lucas on the field gave us better cover and he ran non-stop, give him another 2 more matches and he'll be top. Stevie and Allen were like different players altogether, much much better than the previous 2-matches. Enrique being Enrique, I always have faith in him, respect him for the way he fought back after he got a verbal volley from BR.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,253 posts | 2799 
      Reply #536: Dec 02, 2012 12:53:57 pm
      Very happy with the three points, good first half performance to go with it.

The dependance on Suarez showed again but it was good to see Gerrard have the licence to push forward and he had his best game for a while I thought. Allen looked better too. Super stuff from the full backs too, Enrique looks a totally different player. Think the couple of games at left wing has brought his confidence back. Centre backs solid and a great header from Agger.

Star was Lucas though - was like he had never been away. Surprisingly looked stronger in the second half and ended up making some great interceptions.

Only down point for me was Shelvey - had another shocker. Gave the ball away too many times and apart from the shot off the post he was woeful in front of goal. Everyone around my part of the ground were screaming for Suso to change things around a bit. Still young and learning though.

And the 'supporters' near me yesterday can F**k off, truly shocking atmosphere down there. Would rather stay home next time than be part of a library.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #537: Dec 02, 2012 02:22:18 pm
      Three points; clean sheet and plenty of good attacking play: what's not to like?

What I did notice yesterday was a willingness (freedom?) to play a longer, quicker, ball... there's your missing penetration right there.

Nice to see Lucas back to give both Allen and Gerrard more security to push forward. I know it's been done to death (and I'm guilty of mentioning it maybe too often) but we can't underestimate the difference which the wee man makes to the shape and balance of the team: his absence, both in the early part of this season and most of last season, definitely cost us points. So a big welcome back for Lucas.

In a season where our stated aim was to "concentrate on the League" it's all about points; I've a feeling this could be the kick-start to a purple patch. Well in lads.  :nod:

Enrique my MoTM btw.  ;D
      yup spot on
      waz112003
      • Banned

• 70 posts |
      Reply #538: Dec 02, 2012 03:32:35 pm
      The reason why i like to criticise on Brendan Rodgers philosophy because he doesn't have the players to fit into the model so why play that system? The first half Liverpool looked great should have sealed the game out but mind you Southampton did had a chance to score goals two long range strikes from Rickie Lambert... That was a disgrace from Luis Suarez to handball when he could have headed in made the scoreline comfortable win. Now without Luis Suarez against West Ham United got no strikers so who's going to score the goals? West Ham United won against Chelsea yesterday & i thought they should have got a draw against Manchester United so they looking strong & dangerous upfront... Will Brendan Rodgers take Luis Suarez to Italy to play against Udinese which is a vital game in the UEFA Europa League qualifying for knockout round? My answer is i don't think so...
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #539: Dec 02, 2012 03:40:03 pm
      The reason why i like to criticise on Brendan Rodgers philosophy because he doesn't have the players to fit into the model so why play that system? The first half Liverpool looked great should have sealed the game out but mind you Southampton did had a chance to score goals two long range strikes from Rickie Lambert... That was a disgrace from Luis Suarez to handball when he could have headed in made the scoreline comfortable win. Now without Luis Suarez against West Ham United got no strikers so who's going to score the goals? West Ham United won against Chelsea yesterday & i thought they should have got a draw against Manchester United so they looking strong & dangerous upfront... Will Brendan Rodgers take Luis Suarez to Italy to play against Udinese which is a vital game in the UEFA Europa League qualifying for knockout round? My answer is i don't think so...

You "like" to critisize ?!?

And Suarez a "disgrace" ?!?

Well that's an interesting choice of words - ie - utter F***ing sh*t

P.s- Suarez didnt score yesterday and win won.

Muppet

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #540: Dec 02, 2012 03:40:40 pm

Of course Luis plays in Italy, it's a no brainer.
      fowler2010
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #541: Dec 02, 2012 04:21:33 pm
      who do we play aganist west ham with no luis
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #542: Dec 02, 2012 04:24:05 pm
      who do we play aganist west ham with no luis

Shelvey Suso and Sterling as a front three
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #543: Dec 02, 2012 05:09:40 pm
      Quote from brilad

We scraped home 1-0, and got the job done. That was about it.

I thought it was an edgy, scrappy game, with a nervy last few minutes. No doubt Rodgers thought it was fantastic, but it certainly wasn't worth half an hour on MOTD imo.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #544: Dec 02, 2012 05:18:53 pm
      Scraped home ?

Did I watch a different match to some on here

I thought we were very good and with a bit better finishing and less hitting the woodwork would have won by a good 3 or 4 goals.

It was a comfortable win with some great play and looking solid at the back.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #545: Dec 02, 2012 05:28:26 pm
      We dominated them from start to finish.What let us down again was our inability to kill the game off and on another day we might have drawn 0-0 reinforcements are essential in January and i have a gut feeling that we will end up with Ince and Sturridge.

If we can get through this month with a decent return from our easy games i think we'l be close to the top 4 by the end of the season.We're only 7 points of 3rd as it stands.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #546: Dec 02, 2012 05:30:53 pm
      We battered them 1-0 :nod:
      Scottbot

• 9,592 posts | 2153 
      Reply #547: Dec 02, 2012 05:49:37 pm
      Sorry this is isn't aimed at everyone but you lot really are a bunch of whingeing fookers sometimes. Only our 4th league win of the season so who gives a fook how it happened. The phrase "We won BUT.....blah blah blah" shouldn't happen in my book.
      waz112003
      • Banned

• 70 posts |
      Reply #548: Dec 02, 2012 06:32:18 pm
      You "like" to critisize ?!?

And Suarez a "disgrace" ?!?

Well that's an interesting choice of words - ie - utter f**king sh*t

P.s- Suarez didnt score yesterday and win won.

Muppet

whether Luis Suarez scores or not but he plays big part for the team so it's a big loss for the team against West Ham United. so who's a muppet now?
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #549: Dec 02, 2012 06:35:21 pm
      whether Luis Suarez scores or not but he plays big part for the team so it's a big loss for the team against West Ham United. so who's a muppet now?

You're a muppet for saying you "like" to criticise the manager and for calling Suarez a "disgrace".
      waz112003
      • Banned

• 70 posts |
      Reply #550: Dec 02, 2012 06:37:09 pm
      Of course Luis plays in Italy, it's a no brainer.

Any managers would say it's no brainer apart from Brendan Rodgers so not convince he will cause he would rather be knock out of the UEFA Europa League get humiliated doesn't care about the history & tradition of the club...
      waz112003
      • Banned

• 70 posts |
      Reply #551: Dec 02, 2012 06:48:27 pm
      You're a muppet for saying you "like" to criticise the manager and for calling Suarez a "disgrace".

It's not only me who criticise Brendan Rodgers but Alan Hansen has & yes Luis Suarez is disgrace to himself to handball when he could have just headed in so what if Southampton had equalise that would have been two points drop at Anfield all the wrong headlines would have been about him?   

Quick Reply