Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Steven Gerrard
      5 (4.1%)
      Jose Enrique
      43 (35%)
      Glen Johnson
      9 (7.3%)
      Lucas Leiva
      46 (37.4%)
      Luis Suarez
      4 (3.3%)
      Daniel Agger
      15 (12.2%)
      Jonjo Shelvey
      1 (0.8%)
      Someone else
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Voting closed: Dec 05, 2012 04:55:16 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Southampton: In game and Post Match debates

Read 43213 times
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,649 posts | 3918 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Southampton: In game and Post Match debates
      Reply #552: Dec 02, 2012 07:37:54 pm
      Gerrard is so much more effective further forward, we should just play him up with suarez.
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #553: Dec 03, 2012 01:30:12 am
      Scraped home ?

Did I watch a different match to some on here

I thought we were very good and with a bit better finishing and less hitting the woodwork would have won by a good 3 or 4 goals.

It was a comfortable win with some great play and looking solid at the back.

Agreed, and that last sentence is the key really. With Lucas in there the defense seemed much more tight. We just don't have the personnel right now to batter a team with three of four goals. We have one goal scorer in the team so that means we need to be relatively happy with 1-0 kind of games until the transfer window.
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #554: Dec 03, 2012 01:31:22 am
      It's not only me who criticise Brendan Rodgers but Alan Hansen has & yes Luis Suarez is disgrace to himself to handball when he could have just headed in so what if Southampton had equalise that would have been two points drop at Anfield all the wrong headlines would have been about him?   

Punctuation and grammar are your friends.
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #555: Dec 03, 2012 03:07:53 am
      Well impressive win we controlled most of the game. But where was saurez head punching that ball. Perhaps he wanted time off. But if you look at how even top teams re chelsea, arsenal and man city  are having a hard time scoring goals. Any win is certainly welcome with enriques enthusiasm and lucas in the line up we could be on a roll now.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #556: Dec 03, 2012 03:35:19 am
      It's not only me who criticise Brendan Rodgers but Alan Hansen has & yes Luis Suarez is disgrace to himself to handball when he could have just headed in so what if Southampton had equalise that would have been two points drop at Anfield all the wrong headlines would have been about him?   

And the award for pr**k of the year goes to.......
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #557: Dec 03, 2012 09:53:44 am
      The more I see it, the more I think Agger's goal was brilliant.

Lovely flighted cross from Johnson, and accuracy from Agger
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #558: Dec 03, 2012 11:27:03 am
      Ladies   ......

please .

molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #559: Dec 03, 2012 11:49:13 am
      Who's this waz boy he's a wind up , doesn't sound like a red to me

Ynwa
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #560: Dec 03, 2012 12:35:07 pm
      Who's this waz boy he's a wind up , doesn't sound like a red to me

Ynwa

Defo a manc, throwing Cuntandahalf (that's Cantona for the uninitiated) quotes about in another thread!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #561: Dec 03, 2012 04:20:34 pm
      Made up with the win. Listened to it on the Liverpool channel with that Steve Hunter and Neil Mellor and I was never truly comfortable, always felt on edge. Just had this horrible feeling that Southampton would grab the equaliser, thankfully they didn't.

Sounded like we played well and could of had a handful, but at the end of the day you only get three points whether you win one nil or ten nil.

Hopefully this is the start of another unbeaten run, this time with a few more victories starting at the weekend against West Ham.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #562: Dec 03, 2012 10:56:13 pm
      Hope this isn't the start of another run of hitting the woodwork! Although we still scored from when Suarez hit the bar, it's still soul destroying from hitting it so many times last season!
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #563: Dec 03, 2012 11:55:12 pm
      Suarez out for a game could be a blessing in disguise, everyone will have to step up to score except Reina. This makes us unpredictable and we may see some free flowing football instead of over relying on Suarez.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #564: Dec 04, 2012 01:19:28 am
      Was a good performance all round. The saints never really threatened barring a few long range efforts from Lambert, our passing and movement was excellent especially in the first half. Unlucky to hit the woodwork so many times, something has to give seriously.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #565: Dec 04, 2012 03:10:04 am
      Cannot be disappointed with a 1-0 win after this type of game has resulted in so many draws in recent times.  Our football was generally very good, and I think we will see a different player when Allen plays higher up the pitch.  Thought Enrique was excellent again and I have been impressed to hear him talk about how he feels he has regained his form of early last season admitting he was poor and seems to have come back with added determination and desire.

Interesting to look at the league and see us 7 points behind 3rd place after having such a poor start - the season is certainly not over as apart from the top 2 at the moment, everyone is dropping points.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #566: Dec 04, 2012 04:31:40 am
      Some interesting points of view on the game here. I thought in the first half we played one of our best halves of football to date. We were very unlucky to only go into the break one up. I did feel we weren't quite at it in the second half though. Yes there were patches in the second half where we should have put the game to bed but we didn't and it could have been costly. I think Sterling was a bit off it and do hope none of this gossip surrounding his contract is getting to the lad. At the end of the day we got 3 points and another clean sheet, I can definitely see things moving in the right direction and with hopefully the addition of a couple of players come January things we keep progressing.

The importance of Lucas was seen to great effect, he was a little rusty and for me I can see why people have voted him man of the match but he wasn't, I'm just happy he's getting that match sharpness he needs because he proved as a 75-80% what a vital part of this club he is. Touch wood he stays injury free please!

Joe Allen revelled in having his shackles taken off, and Gerrard although nowhere near his best at least showed signs of returning to something like after a bad patch.

Was glad to see Enrique drop back to his more accustomed position, I believe his exploits further up the pitch will improve his all round game as weather it was down to injury or lack of confidence his forward runs at the back end of last season were getting fewer and less dangerous by the game.

I really like how BR didn't ask Jonjo to play as a real wide forward all to often this season players who's natural position isn't of a wide forward have been asked to play it so to speak. Saturday saw a lot more of Jonjo having a more floating role interchanging with others.

A few fans have questioned Suarez in regards how he picked up his fifth yellow. As someone who played football to a decent level, this card out of his five would be the one I wouldn't have a problem with him getting. I think we've seen over the last month a bit of a change in Suarez's manner on the pitch and it will only benefit both us and them. The card he got Saturday was all about pure instinct, in a game situation he felt the only way to turn the ball goalwards in that split second was how he did it. He didn't have time like some do when they see the slow motion to think hold on if I do this I'll pick up my fifth yellow and miss the next match. The fifth card was inevitable because of how many he got early in the season. That is the point he deserved criticism imo because some of those four were avoidable.

It's one game, we'll miss him but it's not the end of the world. It'll be interesting to see if BR has faith in one of the young lads to play as the CF I hope he does but think he'll probably go more do the Young Boys game and use Jonjo.

Quick Reply