Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Character

Read 3944 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Character
      Dec 09, 2012 06:17:22 pm
      Tough Europa match in Italy Thursday.
      Travel delay coming back from Italy.
      Best Player out on a red card.
      On the road with really 2 days rest.
      Playing a team in London that has been playing hot the last month.
      An AM at the forward position
      Down 2-1 at the break on dodgy officiating.
      Goal from a defender, a sub and an assist from another sub (hendo)

We have seen some glimpses this year of what Brendan want's to play. Today's win however is I feel the best win of the season; oh maybe not the prettiest or shiniest performance but one that leaves this supporter the most satisfied.

We simply were beginning to crumble and then the club had a gut check and we dug deep and prevailed. We never ever gave up and were rewarded for the effort and now find ourselves 4 points out of CL spot with 3 fixtures we could capitalize on and the January window behind that where we could potentially get even stronger.

Well done Gaffer and well done Redmen; real grit, determination and above all you showed real character today.

Now take this momentum and carry us forward to the next level and don't look back.

Potential we might look back at this match as the turning point in our season.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Character
      Reply #1: Dec 09, 2012 06:24:13 pm
      it has been lacking this season we went down to easily but the last few weeks have been so much better even the Spurs game we showed great spirit.
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #2: Dec 09, 2012 06:27:22 pm
      Hated every minute of the game if i'm honest BUT it was great to see the lads grow some balls and win an ugly away game like they did today. I thought West Ham were superb today, very physical (in a fair way) and they posed a lot of problems so it's all the better for coming through that with all 3 points. When you add that to a tough win in Udinese on Thursday hopefully it will give the lads that little bit of belief that they can pull things around even when they're not going their way.
      AZPatriot
      • Started Topic

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #3: Dec 09, 2012 06:28:43 pm
      it has been lacking this season we went down to easily but the last few weeks have been so much better even the Spurs game we showed great spirit.

Think they are starting to trust and believe in themselves and the gaffers ideas Walton.

One thing is critical though, we must get some help in for them come January, as much as we have improved of late we are still paper thin and cannot expect to get this type of result without some quality added in the window.

Brendan and the lads are doing their part, time for Ayre and FSG to pony up.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #4: Dec 09, 2012 06:31:31 pm
      ^^^ Well said, all of that above.

The lads showed great spirit, fight and determination to come back today. This is the best win I have seen for some considerable time; going back to before the start of this season.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5: Dec 09, 2012 06:32:27 pm
      Think they are starting to trust and believe in themselves and the gaffers ideas Walton.

One thing is critical though, we must get some help in for them come January, as much as we have improved of late we are still paper thin and cannot expect to get this type of result without some quality added in the window.

Brendan and the lads are doing their part, time for Ayre and FSG to pony up.
      I thought Sterling looked tired first half but was better second half.We also need cover for him becuase he cant play 60 games this season.
      Its definitely put pressure on the cheque book because you can actually smell 4th place now.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #6: Dec 09, 2012 07:14:08 pm
      Love when we show some proper fighting spirit and bottle!

In true Corballyred spirit, you just have to check my post history! :P

What I expect to see every week: Will To Win http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,15711.msg290949.html#msg290949

What has been sorely missing for several years: Grit http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,24183.msg483946.html#msg483946

I honestly don't know what the magic ingredient is, if there is one, but some managers seem to be able to demand more from their players than others.

I've found Brendan to be an inspiring talker, and I hope that he can convert that into a motivational force that can pull that extra few percent of effort from out players, week in, week out.

I hope we can build on these good results, and the players gain the vital self-belief that is required for us to improve as a unit.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #7: Dec 09, 2012 08:19:54 pm
      Good posts in here. That fighting spirit was incredible today. Last year when the season started to crumble we lost that fight and confidence. This season, after some tough breaks early one between schedule, new manager, Lucas injury, etc. we seemed to have developed more character as the season has gone on. More of the same. They always say confidence and attitude play a big big part in success.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,276 posts | 762 
      Reply #8: Dec 09, 2012 08:29:09 pm
      Must say share the views of above posts, great team spirit to come back from 2 1 down, to win the game after difficult game on  Thursday night. I think it is equally important, to keep this winning mentality, going in the next few games and start moving up the table, where the side belong.
      AZPatriot
      • Started Topic

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #9: Dec 09, 2012 08:30:40 pm
      Must say share the views of above posts, great team spirit to come back from 2 1 down, to win the game after difficult game on  Thursday night. I think it is equally important, to keep this winning mentality, going in the next few games and start moving up the table, where the side belong.

Agree with carrying it forward, we have 9 points coming up that are there for the taking, going on a 5 game streak thru this month could be immense to the rest of the season.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #10: Dec 09, 2012 08:37:37 pm
      Shankly built a dynasty on a team that had CHARACTER.Its were everything should start.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #11: Dec 09, 2012 08:44:07 pm
      I was just thinking AZ you might have summed up our last 3 years we just lacked CHARACTER and today was different as it has been for a few weeks now .Already looking forwards to our next home game I think the crowd are really going to be up for this as we can smell a change in our fortunes.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,276 posts | 762 
      Reply #12: Dec 09, 2012 08:55:09 pm
      It is a long time since the side won 3 games in a row, not enough by a long chalk, by any means, but at least showing some light, at the end of a very long tunnel.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #13: Dec 09, 2012 11:16:05 pm
      Really good to see our heads didn't drop when we went a goal behind today, good to see some spirit in the team, another striker in January and its up up and away into 4th  ;)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6354 
      Reply #14: Dec 10, 2012 06:01:52 pm
      Along with character the players have to have belief. Belief in the system, belief in their manager and belief in each other.

I don't know how much should be credited to Brendan but the players seem to be starting to develop all of the above.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #15: Dec 10, 2012 06:10:31 pm
      Turning Point of the season.

Ill go with that.

There have been the Grimsbys (Home Of The Cod) and Northamptons before .....in another time and another place.

It was good to watch and we won without being a "one man team" for scoring.

(Even Joe Cole got one !)
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #16: Dec 10, 2012 07:35:47 pm
      great thread, great post... Liverpool FC have the greatest character of all football clubs. the biggest and best.

Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #17: Dec 10, 2012 08:46:01 pm
      The attention to detail in the tactics is a big plus for Rodgers. The second goal was beautifully worked and had Rodger's written all over it. It would have been easy to go for the predictable long ball against West Ham but that's too predictable and would have ended in a stalemate maybe, but the second goal outwitted West Ham and this is what it has to be about - passing them off the field. One of the best things about Rodgers is that he will only accept 110% from the players in training every day - we saw this in Being Liverpool when he gave the squad a dressing down one afternoon after training accusing some of taking it easy. This gets them in the mindset of every game and I think that second goal last night showed the work that has been put in by the manager and players who have responded to him thankfully.

By no means the finished article - some players will come in who fit in with the Rodger's system (e.g. flair and pace) making it a more cohesive unit and the players will need a great deal more time getting this system nailed into their heads.

Look at Borussia Dortmund at the moment, they are unplayable at the moment, and they have been a work in progress for a good few years. But this tiki taka style, along with Barcelona, shows that when it works, it is unplayable. Let's remember that tiki taka is different from pass and play in that it is more patient. Possession is to footballers what oxygen is to the rest of us, without it teams suffocate without it and are chasing it constantly, making them more frustrated and more susceptible. We've got the right manager, now we need the right players who will be effortless on the ball all the time. I am as excited about Rodgers as our manager from the day he held that  first press conference.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #18: Dec 11, 2012 05:30:33 am
      The attention to detail in the tactics is a big plus for Rodgers. The second goal was beautifully worked and had Rodger's written all over it. It would have been easy to go for the predictable long ball against West Ham but that's too predictable and would have ended in a stalemate maybe, but the second goal outwitted West Ham and this is what it has to be about - passing them off the field. One of the best things about Rodgers is that he will only accept 110% from the players in training every day - we saw this in Being Liverpool when he gave the squad a dressing down one afternoon after training accusing some of taking it easy. This gets them in the mindset of every game and I think that second goal last night showed the work that has been put in by the manager and players who have responded to him thankfully.

By no means the finished article - some players will come in who fit in with the Rodger's system (e.g. flair and pace) making it a more cohesive unit and the players will need a great deal more time getting this system nailed into their heads.

Look at Borussia Dortmund at the moment, they are unplayable at the moment, and they have been a work in progress for a good few years. But this tiki taka style, along with Barcelona, shows that when it works, it is unplayable. Let's remember that tiki taka is different from pass and play in that it is more patient. Possession is to footballers what oxygen is to the rest of us, without it teams suffocate without it and are chasing it constantly, making them more frustrated and more susceptible. We've got the right manager, now we need the right players who will be effortless on the ball all the time. I am as excited about Rodgers as our manager from the day he held that  first press conference.

Good post  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      We badly need players who are good on the ball. Cole in his peak would have been awesome for this system. I hope suso will develop into that type of player. Even though Enrique is not that comfortable on ball, he is doing his best with what he got(his physique).
      ilikeliverpool
      • Forum John Toshack

• 253 posts |
      Reply #19: Dec 11, 2012 09:01:30 am
      I thought it was good that two players who get a lot of stick from the fans, Cole and Downing, were still showing the type of character that you need in any team. I don't know if they're oblivious to the criticism they get from some fans and journalists, but Downing's celebration after the first goal, and Joe Cole's post match interview showed they both have the team ideas in mind and still care about the results and the team, even if they don't have much to do with the occasional good things which happen on the field.

Although to be fair to Cole, even though he drifts in and out of games, in the last two games he's played a significant amount of minutes in, he's got two goals and an assist, if my memory is right.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #20: Dec 11, 2012 10:31:14 am
      Character is the attribute that will win you titles (and keeps you from relegation).  The best team on paper this season is not Utd by a long way, but they are at the top because of the character and belief thay show - and that is what we have to match.  I think we all feel that our first 11 playing well is more than a match for any team in the league - the players need to believe that, and realise that when things aren't going quite right that is when the attitude will make the difference.

I think that is the BR way - we will not see a team full of expensive players (Chelsea, City) but we will see a solid team that relies as much on self belief as individual brilliance.  That is what all the best teams have - the belief that they can always win, are never beaten (2005 anyone).  If we can develop that consitently then we will be challenging for honours on a regular basis, it is certainly what can get us up to 4th this year.

Also this is the best response to all those pre match questions from media (and in some cases fans) on how will we cope without Suarez - well we can win of course, because we are not and never will be about one man but about the club as a whole, and that includes us.

Quick Reply