Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match against the Hammers?

Glen Johnson
      118 (82.5%)
      Jonjo Shelvey
      9 (6.3%)
      Raheem Sterling
      2 (1.4%)
      Joe Cole
      6 (4.2%)
      Pepe Reina
      2 (1.4%)
      Someone else?
      6 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 138

West Ham 2-3 Liverpool: In-game & post-match grinfest

Read 48398 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: West Ham 2-3 Liverpool: In-game & post-match grinfest
      Reply #828: Dec 09, 2012 11:21:32 pm
      I'm watching the goals now, what a brilliant play by Sterling for our 2nd goal, great one two, superb pass to Cole

Nice finish by Cole as well
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #829: Dec 09, 2012 11:27:11 pm
      I'm watching the goals now, what a brilliant play by Sterling for our 2nd goal, great one two, superb pass to Cole

Nice finish by Cole as well

It was a quality goal. Raheem's pass was perfect and Joe did what he had to do to score.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #830: Dec 09, 2012 11:49:36 pm
      It was a quality goal. Raheem's pass was perfect and Joe did what he had to do to score.

It was a good pass from Raheem but was probably the only pass of the game that he did that was weighted properly.

He played ok but is desperately in need of a rest and being used from the bench in my opinion.

A great result that is starting to show some inner strength to fight on till the end.
      Something we have lacked for quite some time.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #831: Dec 10, 2012 12:28:50 am
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #832: Dec 10, 2012 12:31:37 am
      Huge huge result.

Watched the first half only and it was one of contrast. We were excellent in the first 20 and blew them off the park, the last 20 minutes we were extremely poor and lost the battle in mifield as Diame rang rings.

Chuffed we got the 3 points away from home and back to back league wins.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #833: Dec 10, 2012 12:37:06 am
      missed the game but was absolutely made up when i checked the result. from motd2 it looked like johnson and agger were brilliant, but shelvey looked like our only proper creative player so i gave him the motm.

brilliant result, well done lads. maybe we should drop suarez ;)
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #834: Dec 10, 2012 12:52:34 am
      Very strange game, but a cracking result in the whole.

We've had too many games this season where the score hasn't reflected our play yet here for me on our performances we couldn't have grumble had we come home with nothing.

The positives are we stuck in there even though between 20-70 minutes we were the second best team.

I find it hard to pick a MOTM as going forward Johnson would get it hands down, but the amount of times he was affording Jarvis the time and room to plant the ball in the box and cause us numerous problems were frustrating to say the least.

Massive shout out for Hendo on his part in the winner the burst forward and superb cross were a credit to the lads desire to succeed here.

Would have liked to see BR bring Stevie off because he was by some way the worst player on the pitch, and I think it wouldn't do his game any harm by giving the lad a couple of weeks off to recharge the batteries and come back stronger for the second half of the season. He's not getting any older and for us to get the best out of the greatest player I've seen don a red shirt we need to manage his game time. The fact he didn't retire from international football this summer to me, says he's playing for England till summer 2014 we have to accept that and mange his latter years as best we can.

So happy with the result, was sat there at 2-1 not seeing where we could get anything, but the desire and will to win was there in abundance, we are in a nice bit of form long may it continue with very winnable games ahead of us.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #835: Dec 10, 2012 12:58:43 am
      Massive, Massive win that. Predicted 2-1 to us out of loyalty but was afraid we might slip up. After going 2 - 1 down to two spawny goals I was worried we would fold. Hammers had some controling moments but didn't have too many clear cut chances. Thought we defended well. Johnson was getting forward well and causing them all sorts of problems but that left Allen a bit exposed on the counter which was a worry. So glad we scored 3 quality goals, and they got lucky. If that was a pen, Shelvey's was a stone waller. Let down by the ref again. Sam 'Match ball Head' Alardyce is a first class prat and needs to realise you can't kick and bully your way to win every game.   Sooooo glad we came from behind as well, that must put a bit more belief in the lads.  Good run of games through December now, should be good for 12 points from 4 games. Onwards and upwards, Should at least get into top half of table for the new year, ready for the new strikers. Hm Hm.  Hoping Enrique is only a minor injury too. Need him back with form he's showing recently.
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #836: Dec 10, 2012 01:11:34 am
      Missed most of the match today (was forced to leave home after we went 1 up), but I'm pleased we won the game. 4 points behind Top 4, is it? Not too bad after all.

The most frustrating thing is that we should be in 4th right now.....  We got screwed out of one point (at least) against ManUre with the awful peno decision for Valencia's dive;  2 points in the Everton match for Suarez's disallowed winner;  and 2 points against Swansea for Enrique's disallowed winner.  5 points we have been screwed out of, and I'm not even counting any of the stonewall penalty claims we have had turned away!!! 

Overall, great result today!!  If we can string another 4 wins  from our next 5 games (Villa, Fulham, Stoke, QPR, & Sunderland) we will be sitting pretty!!!  Come on boys..... YNWA!!!
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #837: Dec 10, 2012 02:04:23 am
      Happiest thing about the match is goals are coming from different players, long may this continue.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #838: Dec 10, 2012 02:20:17 am
      FULL TIME 3-2.

GREAT WIN F**k OFF SAM YOU FAT c**t AND TAKE THAT REF WITH YOU.

YNWA GET IN!!

8)
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #839: Dec 10, 2012 02:27:07 am
      Yes poor ref decisions are to blame look at today as a prime example.And the fact we havent got a penalty this season yet  probably because of saurezs reputation. So if you take thes negatives into account we would be top four. But seeing how we played today think the confidence and belief is coming back with the players.Think gerrad should be rested i agree, when did he last have a good game?
      LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Reply #840: Dec 10, 2012 02:46:24 am
      What a match, when we went 2-1 down I didn't think we could score 3. Feels good this one, can really push us on now.

Glen, what a strike. And that first half hour he was so dominant, that was really fun to watch.

Diame was very good, which surprised me zero as he was good against us with Wigan as well. They will be happy Senegal missed the AFCON 2013 tournament, although he's probably not. The match commentator mentioned he has a reasonable buy out clause, I think he'd be a good backup/rotation guy for Lucas. He's only 25. WHam impressed me with the spirit, I always have enjoyed watching Kevin Nolan play. More importantly though it's a great feeling and a good result, Joe Cole also had a peach of a goal. Fun match to watch too, other than the two crap Wham goals

just read Diame tore his hamstring, wow terrible news for him. Hopefully he gets back to his full strength asap
      « Last Edit: Dec 10, 2012 03:09:00 am by LiverpoolCornhusker »
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #841: Dec 10, 2012 04:52:23 am
      GJ my MOM
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #842: Dec 10, 2012 06:17:14 am
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #843: Dec 10, 2012 08:00:43 am
      Sets us up nicely for the Villa match.

4 points from 4th after our start is crazy
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #844: Dec 10, 2012 08:09:35 am
      Fantastic Result

Well done boys i thought we were done for when they got the 2nd goal.

Joe Cole did very well for the equaliser that gave us the spark we needed
      Thought our fans were just off the scale yesterday OUTSTANDING

Only 4 points between us & Everton now, we can get in the Champions League from
      here no problem can't wait for our next game.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #845: Dec 10, 2012 08:23:04 am
       Johnson MOM by a mile. Glen would p!ss into a league eleven, and even at 18 million quid remains an extremely shrewd purchase by Rafa IMHO.
      bossred1
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 140 posts |
      Reply #846: Dec 10, 2012 08:25:25 am
      What a comeback yesterday, The lads showed character..The win really gives us  a great opportunity to get back on track with top6!! Only 4points behind Everton now!!! Come on you Reds, a win is a must against villa now...Already nervous for next match...Were on fire!!!!!!

YNWA
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #847: Dec 10, 2012 08:29:48 am
       Fair f*cks to Joe Cole too (we've got an Irish lass works here and that's her phrase), that's two goals in the last few appearances.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #848: Dec 10, 2012 09:17:18 am
      First back to back prem win in a year, and we did it away from home after a midweek game, where the lads had to stay in Italy an extra night. Character got us through that game, something we've missed for the longest time.

Reina - Did well, unlucky not to save that penalty. He came out for two or three crosses second half, and I'm not sure if he was brave and positive for doing so, or should have done better because he flapped at a few. It was a brave performance by him though all round, becuase the Hammers certainly know what 'long ball' is. By far the best we have at the club.

Johnson - Great goal, great attacking threat, but a lot of West Ham's success came down his flank. Always thought he'd make a great winger
      Agger/Skrtel - Solid performance all through the game. They dealt with the physicality and the long ball well enough, and they'll be so important for us over Christmas
      Enrique - We're going to miss him if his hamstring is that bad. Simple as

Sterling - flashes of brilliance from the young man. But he needs to work on his final ball and final pass. But brave beyond his 18 years. Needs a rest though, definitely, as his game has become a bit disjointed this last month or so.
      Gerrard - Looks a lot more comfortable higher up the pitch, but he's still not firing on all cylinders. Showed he cared last night with a gutsy rather than skillful peformance
      Downing - Did a job, nothing majorly wrong from him, but doing a job at left back when he's a winger should tell us all we need to know about him.
      Allen - Pushing higher up the pitch he's started to be more effective in the final third. Another player that looks like he needs a rest
      Lucas - Slotted into that familiar position of his, he broke up play, and his distribution of the ball under Rodgers has improved a lot. The reason why Agger/Skrtel are starting to look solid again. So important to the team.

Shelvey - Flexible and adaptable, a gutsy performance, took one for the team. Great movement up front, and a never say die attitude. Easy to forget he's still only 20 years of age.

Cole - Showed what he can do, great feet, a very intelligent player and a really well taken goal. Just a shame his best days are gone.
      Henderson - Played well when he came on, so that's two good games in a row. Back up for Lucas perhaps?

Gaffer - Again, he's showing he's a fantastic young coach. We're in good hands.

Whisper it quietly, that's back to back wins, 3 wins in a week, and four points of the Champions League slot. Considering what happend in August, I'd have bitten your hand off for that.

Just think what we could do with funding in January.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #849: Dec 10, 2012 10:37:02 am
      Still buzzing from last nights victory.

Was going to come on at half time and bemoan the decision to play Downing at LB and bring Cole on for Enrique because at 1-0 up I thought we should have put Agger at LB and brought Coates/Carra on to match their physicality. I thought that decision in the first half cost us to go a goal down because Joe Cole was being lightweight, and with Allen and Sterling we already had a lot of small players. Before Enrique got injured we were bossing the game, no doubt about that.

Second half though we played a lot better and West Ham didn't really put us under much pressure. They looked like they would see it out quite comfortably though until Mo Diame got injured for them, and then Allerdyce brought on Tomkins to fill his role, who was immobile and lacked any quality in that position. It gave us more time on the ball and less to worry about on the counter and that I feel helped us get the equaliser and then secure the win.

Other things to note, Gerrard was poor for most of the game and deserved his own goal, Glen Johnson was awesome - especially in the first half and his goal was a worldie. He also ripped the piss out of their left defence. The penalty decision was a farce and that ref, Lee Probert was having a F***ing laugh all game, Sterling mixed it well with the big boys and came away with an assist, and Joe Cole took his goal very well. In amongst his regular drivel he produces for us, there is still that very talented boy he was back at his Hammer days.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #850: Dec 10, 2012 10:45:52 am
      I've not been well recently (the ol ticker playin up) so it was a nice tonic to see the lads snatch the 3 points away from big Sam yesterday.... It was always gonna be a toughy at West Ham and I thought we handled them well in the second half..It seems like years ago since we won our last away game at Norwich..
      Oh and how yer man stayed on the pitch after that kung fu kick on Sterling is beyond me !!..
      Glen Johnson MOTM for me..
      Onwards and Upwards we go !!..

Quick Reply