Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match against the Hammers?

Glen Johnson
      118 (82.5%)
      Jonjo Shelvey
      9 (6.3%)
      Raheem Sterling
      2 (1.4%)
      Joe Cole
      6 (4.2%)
      Pepe Reina
      2 (1.4%)
      Someone else?
      6 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 138

West Ham 2-3 Liverpool: In-game & post-match grinfest

Read 48506 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: West Ham 2-3 Liverpool: In-game & post-match grinfest
      Reply #851: Dec 10, 2012 10:59:22 am
      I'm sure Kevin Nolan is a great lad but I have to say I've never seen a player do so little apart from push and pull and moan so often to deserve a wad of cash and the captain's armband. He's followed fat Sam around like a bad smell. Great character from the lads, Sterling looks much better on the left and obviously needs to improve his game but I'm sure it will come. Good subs by BR even though i was surprised that Danny Agger wasn't pushed to LB when Jose came off and Carra or Coates brought on.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6725 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #852: Dec 10, 2012 11:18:06 am
      Get the F**k in.

A great comeback form the lads. Was so disappointed when we went down 2-1 that I complicated going to bed because I was so gut wrenched and it was early doors in Oz Land. Took off my jacket and had the LFC top on underneath, looked at my Istanbul team photo on the wall and said F**k it, let's do this and we did.  ???

Made up for the lads and for us, 3 wins in a row now including the Euro tie so starting to gain a bit of confidence. Hopefully it takes us a long, long way and now with Luis coming back with no ban hanging over his shoulder, things are starting to get mighty interesting in Liverpool land. Come on You Reds.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #853: Dec 10, 2012 11:42:06 am
      I've not been well recently (the ol ticker playin up) so it was a nice tonic to see the lads snatch the 3 points away from big Sam yesterday.... It was always gonna be a toughy at West Ham and I thought we handled them well in the second half..It seems like years ago since we won our last away game at Norwich..
      Oh and how yer man stayed on the pitch after that kung fu kick on Sterling is beyond me !!..
      Glen Johnson MOTM for me..
      Onwards and Upwards we go !!..

Hope it's nothing serious 6stringer, though watching LFC play of late can't be healthy for anyone of us!

Here's hoping for a good run up to January. Only 22 days to go
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #854: Dec 10, 2012 11:57:29 am
      TIPPING POINT
       I  think sundays game against west ham was a pivotal game in many ways without saurez playing we fought back in spite of poor referee decisons. Players are now stepping up there game and scoring. We have in jojo shelvey a game changer, he is  emerging as our next steven gerrad. that 3rd goal was his no doubt.That game will boost out confidence and belief going forward. Can see us moving up the table now, the reds have always been traditional slow starters and having a new manager certainly slowed things down somewhat.  But the worst is over now amen.
      Sahara
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 102 posts |
      Reply #855: Dec 10, 2012 12:11:44 pm
      What a satisfying win that was!  Deserve a bit of luck especially with the way some of the decisions have been going against us, that non pen when Shelvey's legs were taken was scandalous, and i thought the ref was going to let the game run till Wham equalised!  Well done redmen.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #856: Dec 10, 2012 12:22:56 pm
      The most frustrating thing is that we should be in 4th right now.....  We got screwed out of one point (at least) against ManUre with the awful peno decision for Valencia's dive;  2 points in the Everton match for Suarez's disallowed winner;  and 2 points against Swansea for Enrique's disallowed winner.  5 points we have been screwed out of, and I'm not even counting any of the stonewall penalty claims we have had turned away!!!

To be fair Enrique's goal against Swansea was indeed offside, if I recall correctly. Agree about the games against Man Utd and Everton though.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #857: Dec 10, 2012 12:58:45 pm
      To be fair Enrique's goal against Swansea was indeed offside, if I recall correctly. Agree about the games against Man Utd and Everton though.

Enrique was onside, although it was tight.
      redcod81
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Reply #858: Dec 10, 2012 01:28:43 pm
      Lucas back for 2 prem games and 2 wins , coincidence ? i think not!! Massive player for us . Great to see Hendo and Cole take their chance when coming on .Shelvey did a good job out of position and Glen Johnson was outstanding . Special mention for the 2 centre backs who were always going to be put under pressure from fat Sam's hoofers and i thought Carlton Cole was in top form for them . So close to 4th place now in what is a crazy league .
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #859: Dec 10, 2012 01:43:20 pm
      So even without Suarez we still can't get the decisions off the refs.
      Shocking performance.

Harsh penalty against Allen.
      Should have been a sending off for the tackle on Suarez.
      Shelvey should have had a penalty.

Didn't cost us yesterday, but everything went against us.

We're going to have a party!
      When Liverpool get a penalty!

Oh and Johnson was F***ing boss.
      Well done to Shelvey on adapting to the 9 role.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #860: Dec 10, 2012 01:48:59 pm
      Still smiling after yesterdays win. Missed the first half cos of work so got to my local and we were 2  1 down. As soon as the second half started i believed we could win it. Having Lucas back makes a massive difference to our midfield. Thought Joe played well. Great little pass from Raheem for Joes goal. Table doesnt look too bad now. Get in there.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #861: Dec 10, 2012 01:57:46 pm
      Diame is quite a player. If I'm not mistaken, Kenny had him pre-arranged to come on a free. Would have been a great backup to Lucas and in on a rotation basis.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #862: Dec 10, 2012 02:00:35 pm
      Diame is quite a player. If I'm not mistaken, Kenny had him pre-arranged to come on a free. Would have been a great backup to Lucas and in on a rotation basis.

I remember rumours of that alright. Himself and Jelavic would have been nice options over the last couple of windows.

Certainly bossed the game when we lost Enrique and Diame going off turned the game for us.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #863: Dec 10, 2012 02:11:33 pm
       :laugh:
      Get the f**k in.

A great comeback form the lads. Was so disappointed when we went down 2-1 that I complicated going to bed because I was so gut wrenched and it was early doors in Oz Land. Took off my jacket and had the LFC top on underneath, looked at my Istanbul team photo on the wall and said f**k it, let's do this and we did.  ???

Made up for the lads and for us, 3 wins in a row now including the Euro tie so starting to gain a bit of confidence. Hopefully it takes us a long, long way and now with Luis coming back with no ban hanging over his shoulder, things are starting to get mighty interesting in Liverpool land. Come on You Reds.

how did you complicate going to bed ?try going up the stairs on your hands?.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #864: Dec 10, 2012 02:38:55 pm

I watch quite a lot of Wigan (for some unknown reason I've liked to watch them for years now), and I've always believed he would be a good signing for us. At the very least he would make perfect backup for Lucas, with potential to become a first teamer.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #865: Dec 10, 2012 03:04:48 pm
      Hope it's nothing serious 6stringer, though watching LFC play of late can't be healthy for anyone of us!

Here's hoping for a good run up to January. Only 22 days to go
      Nothing serious Rushie mate, thankfully... I have a Muamba style Defib fitted in my chest/heart and its been workin overtime and playin up these last few weeks but all seem to have settled down now so just at home resting up for a few days.... The 3 points yesterday was the perfect prescription !!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #866: Dec 10, 2012 03:33:21 pm
      Nothing serious Rushie mate, thankfully... I have a Muamba style Defib fitted in my chest/heart and its been workin overtime and playin up these last few weeks but all seem to have settled down now so just at home resting up for a few days.... The 3 points yesterday was the perfect prescription !!

Good to hear, and best of luck with it too!
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #867: Dec 10, 2012 03:39:12 pm
      Should have been a sending off for the tackle on Suarez.
      ???
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #868: Dec 10, 2012 03:46:21 pm
      Must say I'm not surprised by the man of the match poll, shows that people think a right back defending poorly is a good performance.

Anyway, I must admit I haven't celebrated a goal like I did for our third for a very long time. It brought tears to me eyes I was that happy.

I thought we were shocking for large parts of the game, especially defensively. Carlton Cole, who has been ridiculed by so many on this forum, gave Agger and Skrtel the runaround. They couldn't cope with him. Johnson, defensively, was a joke. Jarvis ran rings round him and was by far their best player. Downing isn't a left back and again showed why. Reina, on the other hand, looks like he's regained his confidence. Was coming for crosses and claiming the majority of them and the ones he didn't, he generally got good distance on the ball.

The midfield was poor as well and didn't give Shelvey much to feed on or much support.

But F**k it, enough of the negatives and we won and that's all that matters. We got the three points, we got back into the top half of the table and we got our third win on the run. That defeat to Tottenham looks to of given us a kick up the arse.

We showed great fight and determination to get back into the game and what a F***ing ball from Sterling. That lad is something special. Credit where it's due as well, it was a boss finish from Joey Cole - the only thing he did right all F***ing game though. And another good touch from Henderson to get the ball into a dangerous area for Shelvey to score. (ok it was an own goal).

We have to keep this going now because the way the table is poised, if we can put a run together we can climb it very quickly. And once we get on a roll anything is possible.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #869: Dec 10, 2012 03:59:00 pm
      Delighted with the result. Not sure I agree with DLS about the performance, however. I must admit, not a brilliant performance, and whilst Johno was great going forward, he wasn't so great defensively. Despite that, thought Allen covered him well,

Carlton Cole, as DLS pointed out, is hammered on this forum often. However, he proved a real handful and Brendan admitted as much at the end of the game. I mentioned in the manager thread that I was happy with Brendan's actions during the game. I must admit, I wasn't thrilled by the thought of having Jonjo up on his own but it worked. Similarly, when I saw Cole coming off the bench after 29 minutes, I couldn't understand why. But as I have said, it worked and credit has to go to Brendan.

Overall, not a breathtaking performance. However, if we can go to Upton Park, with arguably no strikers, against a very tough West Ham team who have a, whether you like it or not, shrewd manager in charge, it shows a lot of character. Not ideal to concede 2 goals but the main thing is we go back in to it and nicked the win. Onwards and upwards!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #870: Dec 10, 2012 04:00:45 pm

Typo. That busy trying not to type Suarez instead of Shelvey I put Suarez instead of Sterling.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #871: Dec 10, 2012 04:02:01 pm
      Typo. That busy trying not to type Suarez instead of Shelvey I put Suarez instead of Sterling.
      ;D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #872: Dec 10, 2012 04:05:29 pm
      Must say I'm not surprised by the man of the match poll, shows that people think a right back defending poorly is a good performance.

Johnson, defensively, was a joke. Jarvis ran rings round him and was by far their best player.

Not to pick on a few things, but Johnson definitely failed to close down Jarvis enough on the crosses, but I wouldn't say Jarvis "ran rings" around him. Jarvis only had one successful dribble. Would have been nice though if Downing and then later Cole tracked back a bit better. Not a great game defensively from Johnson, but not a "joke" in my opinion. Maybe like 6/10 defensively. He made a number of key clearances.

And disagree with Jarvis as their best player. That was easily Diame. His injury completely changed the tide of the game. One man bossed three quality midfielders. Would have been MOTM if West Ham had won.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,543 posts | 1481 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #873: Dec 10, 2012 05:11:27 pm
      Great win yesterday! Unfortunately my internet went down so I couldn't see the second half :(

Hopefully we have a perfect weekend next and these games draw and we win. Would be two points away from fourth. But whichever way these games go, they are all teams around us.

Stoke v Everton
      Tottenham v Swansea
      West Brom v West Ham

Hopefully Reading can pull off a win vs Arsenal too, but a draw would be fine...

Quick Reply