Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. How will the Redmen do against the Villa?

Another win?
      92 (96.8%)
      Close Draw?
      3 (3.2%)
      Lose?
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Pre Match: Liverpool v Aston Villa (15-12-12, 15:00 KO)

Read 11620 times
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Pre Match: Liverpool v Aston Villa (15-12-12, 15:00 KO)
      Reply #23: Dec 12, 2012 02:01:15 am
      If Enrique is fit then I expect this...

That's about the strongest team we can field right now so yeah, I'd expect this to be the one that's picked, unless Enrique's hammy is still acting up.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #24: Dec 12, 2012 05:10:47 am
                                  Reina
      Johnson     Skrtel       Agger       Enrique

Lucas
                                  Gerrard
                  Shelvey
      Sterling        Suarez           Assaidi or Suso

Still can't understand why we signed Assaidi? I'm not questioning his talent... but why doesn't he play!? He's much better than Cole and Downing.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #25: Dec 12, 2012 09:27:24 am
      we are at home we will get the three points
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #26: Dec 12, 2012 10:02:05 am
      Random stat - Last seasons meeting with Villa at Anfield was the last game in the Premier League we managed to get 70% possession.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #27: Dec 12, 2012 10:07:34 am
      Its Good to read the poll as a posotive for a change.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #28: Dec 12, 2012 10:44:55 am

Exactly. Hope the players shows the same confidence and fight.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #29: Dec 12, 2012 10:46:04 am
      How come i got a %) when i quoted shabs  ;D :o
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #30: Dec 12, 2012 10:54:45 am
      What's the word on Enrique, was it just tightness he felt or was it the hamstring?
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #31: Dec 12, 2012 11:40:47 am
      It is odd to think that, as Kopite91 said, a win against West Ham is a turning point. It is seen by many as a "turning point" as it is the first time we have won 2 consecutively in the league. I know you can harp on all you like about the past but it is mad to think that these things would have been taken for granted only a few years back.

I don't mean to sound like I am taking anything away from Brendan, I was delighted with the result against West Ham, a game I actually expected us to struggle in. For some reason, however, I think this next game will go a long way to symbolise a lot. Liverpool FC of recent years has always had the same problem....losing when expected to win. I don't know what it is but we just seem to have issues with it.

Villa got a good result, albeit in the League Cup, against Norwich. I don't often say this about other teams, as I believe there are no easy games in the Premiership, but Villa really are a sh*t team. They may have given United a good run for their money a few weeks back but this is a game that I would would be extremely disappointed to lose. A home game against an average team, after winning 2 on the bounce, 3 if you include Europa League. We have to approach this game with real determination and fight. Villa are the sort of team who will go to Anfield, defend as if their life depends on it and try and nick a counter-attacking goal. The only way to avoid that happening is by taking our chances and be awake to any potential threat. The team have to be switched on for the whole 90 minutes, nothing less.

I think the team, with most games, fairly pick itself. I believe the XI that Kopite91 has selected will be the choice. That said, maybe Brendan will choose to leave Shelvey in, playing a more attacking midfield role with Suarez ahead of him. Thought Jonjo's performance on Sunday was excellent and he really showed his main attributes: strength, skill and an eye for goal. Brendan has a difficult choice to make.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #32: Dec 12, 2012 12:47:58 pm
      It is odd to think that, as Kopite91 said, a win against West Ham is a turning point. It is seen by many as a "turning point" as it is the first time we have won 2 consecutively in the league. I know you can harp on all you like about the past but it is mad to think that these things would have been taken for granted only a few years back.

I don't mean to sound like I am taking anything away from Brendan, I was delighted with the result against West Ham, a game I actually expected us to struggle in. For some reason, however, I think this next game will go a long way to symbolise a lot. Liverpool FC of recent years has always had the same problem....losing when expected to win. I don't know what it is but we just seem to have issues with it.

Villa got a good result, albeit in the League Cup, against Norwich. I don't often say this about other teams, as I believe there are no easy games in the Premiership, but Villa really are a sh*t team. They may have given United a good run for their money a few weeks back but this is a game that I would would be extremely disappointed to lose. A home game against an average team, after winning 2 on the bounce, 3 if you include Europa League. We have to approach this game with real determination and fight. Villa are the sort of team who will go to Anfield, defend as if their life depends on it and try and nick a counter-attacking goal. The only way to avoid that happening is by taking our chances and be awake to any potential threat. The team have to be switched on for the whole 90 minutes, nothing less.

I think the team, with most games, fairly pick itself. I believe the XI that Kopite91 has selected will be the choice. That said, maybe Brendan will choose to leave Shelvey in, playing a more attacking midfield role with Suarez ahead of him. Thought Jonjo's performance on Sunday was excellent and he really showed his main attributes: strength, skill and an eye for goal. Brendan has a difficult choice to make.

Good post mate agree with pretty much all of it.

The bit in bold, it's a nice headache for the boss to have for once.

What's the word on Enrique, was it just tightness he felt or was it the hamstring?

It was reported as just tightness and neither the club or the Premier League list him as any doubt for Saturday. However he tweeted this this morning;

jose enrique sanchez ‏@jose3enrique3
      Good morning. In the physio room having some treatment. I hope i can be back soon. Have a good day

Sounds like he could be 50:50 for Saturday. If that is the case then I'd put him on the bench and start Wisdom RB and Johnson LB. (The Downing LB suggestion is lurking now)
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #33: Dec 12, 2012 01:17:11 pm
      Won 4-1 yesterday so won't be as easy as I was assuming, still hope we knock them for 6.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #34: Dec 12, 2012 02:11:16 pm
      Could be an oddly difficult match compounded by the fact we're favorites, and for some reason we struggle against teams we should beat at Anfield.

I'd give Joe Allen a rest, and I'll leave out Enrique in case he can't go.

Reina
      Skrtel    Agger
      Wisdom                 Johnson
      Lucas           
                   Sahin
      Gerrard
       Suso                  Sterling
      Suarez

This is a match we should win. Hopefully Stevie can continue his dominance against Villa and increase his goal tally against them.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #35: Dec 12, 2012 02:29:22 pm
      This is one game I thought we would win when looking at the fixtures in the run up to the new year and after the weekend I can't see anyhting other that a victory for us.

Fitness permitting I'd like to see this

Reina

Johnson  Skrtel  Agger  Enrique

Lucas

Henderson  Shelvey

Gerrard     Suarez     Sterling

Allen needs a game to recharge his batteries and I've been impressed with Henderson of late so I'd be happy with that and we shouyld have enough to beat Villa with that line up.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,716 posts | 162 
      Reply #36: Dec 12, 2012 03:10:35 pm
      I only see us getting 3 points here. Like many have posted i think Sahin should start instead of Allen too. 2  0. Suarez with both goals. He will be raring to go after missing the West Ham game.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,885 posts | 704 
      Reply #37: Dec 12, 2012 03:17:35 pm
      Quote from redkop63
      Let's remain confident but not overly confident. I'll take a 2-0 score in our favor anytime. Villa has improved steadily over the last few games and they can play some decent football on a particular day, just that they tend to concede as many or more goals than they scored.

They gave two big sides a hard game recently. On paper it should be a banker, but we thought that last year, battered the door down for 90 minutes, and could only get a point. If we don't score early, it could be a scrappy afternoon again.

Good to see some optimism though, compared to the fixture two years ago when we had fans hoping to lose, so that they could tear into Hodgson again. When we won the game, the same hacks declared them to be the third straight "worst opposition I've ever seen" in a row.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #38: Dec 12, 2012 04:10:29 pm
      They gave two big sides a hard game recently. On paper it should be a banker, but we thought that last year, battered the door down for 90 minutes, and could only get a point. If we don't score early, it could be a scrappy afternoon again.

Good to see some optimism though, compared to the fixture two years ago when we had fans hoping to lose, so that they could tear into Hodgson again. When we won the game, the same hacks declared them to be the third straight "worst opposition I've ever seen" in a row.

I suppose there's no easy team to beat anymore, and you're right to say Villa gave 2 top teams a difficult time and one of them is MU, correct me if I'm wrong. I hope that Villa side doesn't turn up this weekend. Villa must be treated with respect and my fear is that the West Ham game has gone into our heads and the players begun to take things for granted as if the game is won before the ball is even kicked. I hope to see the lads playing with the same urgency, commitment and determination, like the game against the Hammers.

I do agree with your point that we have to score early, that will draw them out to allow us more space to explore.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #39: Dec 12, 2012 04:31:47 pm
      I suppose there's no easy team to beat anymore, and you're right to say Villa gave 2 top teams a difficult time and one of them is MU, correct me if I'm wrong. I hope that Villa side doesn't turn up this weekend. Villa must be treated with respect and my fear is that the West Ham game has gone into our heads and the players begun to take things for granted as if the game is won before the ball is even kicked. I hope to see the lads playing with the same urgency, commitment and determination, like the game against the Hammers.

I do agree with your point that we have to score early, that will draw them out to allow us more space to explore.

They gave Manchester United a game, but lost 3-2, then they drew 0-0 with Arsenal. Both games were at Villa Park, they have been desperate away from home, winning just once away this season in the league, they also got twatted 5-0 by City in between those two home matches.

I don't see how the West Ham game has gone to the players heads since we haven't seen them since and the only real comment has been Johnson saying we need to kick on and challenge for fourth? And even if it has what harm? Whats wrong with going into a game against Villa at home believing we have it won? It's a lot better than our recent mentality of being 1-0 up and terrified of conceding. We need that confidence, especially at home. I don't want the lads playing like they did against West Ham because being 100% honest we were sh*t for most of the game. I want to see the fight and desire though and I don't think there has been any reason to doubt that will be there.

The lads are professional and Brendan is meticulous, we will be well prepared for Villa and they will be treated with respect. But I like to think there is an air of confidence among the lads going into it.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,260 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #40: Dec 12, 2012 05:09:21 pm
      Superb opening post from Kopite 91, well deserved of a plus too   :gt-happyup:

Seconded.

Just a win with no injuries.

1-0 will do me, but 7-0 would be better.

We need to keep winning, and winning well.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #41: Dec 12, 2012 05:16:22 pm
      Big game here, big chance to get another win under our belt, 3rd win in a row in the league and keep moving up the points tally and on the league table. Winning breeds winning and confidence breeds confidence.

Given that we are at home, I fully expect the win and anything less will be a failure in my eyes. Big expectations!!

Also would like to see this again! :D

Liverpool 3x0 Aston Villa - "Let's pretend we've scored a goal"
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #42: Dec 12, 2012 05:56:55 pm
      Big game here, big chance to get another win under our belt, 3rd win in a row in the league and keep moving up the points tally and on the league table. Winning breeds winning and confidence breeds confidence.

Given that we are at home, I fully expect the win and anything less will be a failure in my eyes. Big expectations!!

+1 for posting that alone, never have seen that before.

Just so you know, thought the rest of your post was bullocks.  >:D
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #43: Dec 12, 2012 06:07:43 pm
      Just so you know, thought the rest of your post was bullocks.  >:D

Enough bollocks for the plus! :)

I live with a Villa fan too so I'm loving this week for the build up!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #44: Dec 12, 2012 07:28:05 pm

Another +1 for you! That video is a classic, most entertaining thing i've seen all night (in the middle of a tuition fee assignment so you can understand why :D)
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #45: Dec 13, 2012 01:42:22 am
      They gave Manchester United a game, but lost 3-2, then they drew 0-0 with Arsenal. Both games were at Villa Park, they have been desperate away from home, winning just once away this season in the league, they also got twatted 5-0 by City in between those two home matches.

I don't see how the West Ham game has gone to the players heads since we haven't seen them since and the only real comment has been Johnson saying we need to kick on and challenge for fourth? And even if it has what harm? Whats wrong with going into a game against Villa at home believing we have it won? It's a lot better than our recent mentality of being 1-0 up and terrified of conceding. We need that confidence, especially at home. I don't want the lads playing like they did against West Ham because being 100% honest we were sh*t for most of the game. I want to see the fight and desire though and I don't think there has been any reason to doubt that will be there.

The lads are professional and Brendan is meticulous, we will be well prepared for Villa and they will be treated with respect. But I like to think there is an air of confidence among the lads going into it.

Can I intepret your thoughts as follow  :-

Villa won only 1-game away so far and we've absolute rights to win this game against them since we're the host and no two ways about it. In recent times there were many winnable games against lower teams, but we ended up drawing with them. Will there be a possibility that Villa for whatever reason played brilliantly and not us., we've heard of upsets so often before.

I'm expressing "fear" that the game has gone into the players' head and you've interpreted it as it has "already" gone into their heads. Going by your belief that the game is already won before the ball is even kicked, there's an air of arrogance here while being over confident breeds complacency, don't you think so?   

I thought we played brialliantly against the Hammers without Suarez and Enrique went off at the 1/2 hour mark did not help things while Diame stretchered off even things out while Hammers is in great form at the moment. To say that we played s**t, I think we have to be appreciative of the team when the right results came along and not only look at the negatives. How nice if we can play like Barca every week, but we're not there yet, but oneday oneday  we will.

I would agree with you that it's good to have an air of confidence going into the game against Villa, but I'm just throwing in a caution we should not be over confident and let's not under estimate the opponent, play with the same spirit an determination like the last game to get the result, that's all I'm asking, isn't that acceptable?

Quick Reply