Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. How will the Redmen do against the Villa?

Another win?
      92 (96.8%)
      Close Draw?
      3 (3.2%)
      Lose?
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Pre Match: Liverpool v Aston Villa (15-12-12, 15:00 KO)

Read 11619 times
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Re: Pre Match: Liverpool v Aston Villa (15-12-12, 15:00 KO)
      Reply #46: Dec 13, 2012 08:40:47 am
      Yet another 'Must Win Game' we face...

However back at home after a great away win! With regards to confidence our comeback against West Ham will do a lot more than Villa's big win at Norwich. They have been poor all season - and with the way we play we should and will rip them apart. We can look to totally dominate possession - and I think this will be a game where the stat fans amoungst us go mental... I can honestly see about 80% possesion at full time and Villa playing on the counter.

I do expect Bent to play in this one as we have been linked with him and that will add a bit of zest to their performance.

Win this and we move to 7th in the League (a sad place to be at this time of year - but better than we have been) and with a few results going our way as the teams in and around us all play each other this weekend we could be 2 points off 4th place! That is some turn around from where we have been... For all the Lucas fans it will also be since his return the improvement - so if we want to look at a difference in the League we could say it was because of him - I am hesitant to say it, but he is one hell of a player!

This will also be our 3rd win on the bounce at Anfield in the Prem - a long time since that has happened along with our 3rd straight win in the league (again a long tme coming!). This is what worries me, teams around us all playing each other - us playing a poor team at home and the expectation! Where in te paast we have thrown a wobbler - however I have total faith in the team, manager and squad..!

I say 5-0 to the Mighty Reds
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #47: Dec 13, 2012 09:57:28 am
      I do expect Bent to play in this one as we have been linked with him and that will add a bit of zest to their performance.
      Can't see it myself mate limped out at Carrow Road in week, didn't look good for lad. And tbh if he is fit the way Weimann and Benteke linked up when former replaced Bent Lambert would be mad not to go with the same imo.

I agree with a few posters on how bad Villa have been but I do believe Lambert is showing signs of turning things around there (a lot of time for Lambert as a manager I believe given time he'll do a good job for them), still fully expected us to take all 3 points but Villa are not as toothless as they were in the first couple of month of the season.

2-0 for me.
      Fowler kop hero
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      Reply #48: Dec 13, 2012 12:22:17 pm
      For me, Villa have been the worst team in the prem in the way they have played, I think we will destroy them big time.

I think they have improved wholesale can see is struggling to break them down. Massive game for us…. We need to push on.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #49: Dec 13, 2012 12:30:21 pm
      Just read this on Facebook, taken from Spirit of Shankly.

To all fans attending this weekend's game against Aston Villa:
      As you are probably aware, Aston Villa's captain, Stiliyan Petrov, was diagnosed with acute leukaemia in March 2012. As a show of support for "Stan," Villa fans give their skipper an ovation with applause in the 19th minute of every home game.
      This weekend, we intend to follow suit and give our own ovation, in unity with the travelling Villa fans, for Petrov. At the beginning of the 19th minute, we ask all fans to show their support and applaud for one minute.
      Thank you.
      Liverpool Supporters Union

Fantastic idea. Urge all Reds to take part.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #50: Dec 13, 2012 12:36:55 pm
      I don't think Jose will be available
      Enrique doubtful for Villa clash

Jose Enrique is likely to miss Liverpool's home game with Aston Villa on Saturday afternoon.

The Spanish defender/midfielder/winger picked up a hamstring strain during the Reds game at West Ham on Sunday and may well not be risked at Anfield.

"I am okay but I don't know if I'll be ready for the game," he told the club's official site. "It's nothing bad but I don't know if I'll be able to play.

"I've had some treatment and then we will see. I hope I can be fit for the game."
      http://www.lfconline.com/feat/ed11/enrique_doubtful_for_villa_clash_772804/index.shtml
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #51: Dec 13, 2012 01:25:02 pm
      Rumours Sterling will be rested for this as well.

Bib theory: Pepe, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Downing, Lucas, Allen, Gerrard, Shelvey, Cole & Suarez
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #52: Dec 13, 2012 01:32:07 pm
      Can I intepret your thoughts as follow  :-

Villa won only 1-game away so far and we've absolute rights to win this game against them since we're the host and no two ways about it. In recent times there were many winnable games against lower teams, but we ended up drawing with them. Will there be a possibility that Villa for whatever reason played brilliantly and not us., we've heard of upsets so often before.

I'm expressing "fear" that the game has gone into the players' head and you've interpreted it as it has "already" gone into their heads. Going by your belief that the game is already won before the ball is even kicked, there's an air of arrogance here while being over confident breeds complacency, don't you think so?   

I thought we played brialliantly against the Hammers without Suarez and Enrique went off at the 1/2 hour mark did not help things while Diame stretchered off even things out while Hammers is in great form at the moment. To say that we played s**t, I think we have to be appreciative of the team when the right results came along and not only look at the negatives. How nice if we can play like Barca every week, but we're not there yet, but oneday oneday  we will.

I would agree with you that it's good to have an air of confidence going into the game against Villa, but I'm just throwing in a caution we should not be over confident and let's not under estimate the opponent, play with the same spirit an determination like the last game to get the result, that's all I'm asking, isn't that acceptable?

Fair enough mate, I don't think that because Villa only have one away win we have a right to win. That would be plain stupidy on my part, What I'm saying is that they have struggled away, no doubt we have noticed it and we should take advantage of that. It's  going to be in the back of their heads and we need to put the shits up them and keep them under pressure.

Apologies for misinterpreting your "fear". I don't mean to suggest that we go out believing the game is won, I want us to walk out as if we have it won but play like it's a final. When the Villa players look across the tunnel at us I want them to feel like they're going out 1-0 down. I completely agree that over confidence breeds complacency and I think that is Brendans job to manage that, but I still think we need to be more confident at home especially, and I think a home game against Villa coming off 3 good results would be a good place to start.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree about how we played against West Ham. I agree that missing Suarez and losing Enrique early on did affect us. But I still think we had the quality to control the game but we didn't. I thought we were sloppy in possession and our movement up front was poor until late on. I don't expect us to play like Barca every week so it's not something I am going to lose sleep on. To be honest I think that winning the way we did helped us gain more from the game.

What you're saying is perfectly acceptable mate. I agree but I just think we need to have more confidence and belief in what we can do. Someone mentioned earlier how strange it is that we're all so happy about back-to-back league wins. It wasn't that long ago it was minimum requirement with a squad that wasn't that much better than our current squad and I think that confidence had a big part to play in that.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #53: Dec 13, 2012 02:29:19 pm
      Rumours Sterling will be rested for this as well.

Bib theory: Pepe, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Downing, Lucas, Allen, Gerrard, Shelvey, Cole & Suarez

Interesting line-up that, think Villa are a terrible side and we should get the points simply based on that fact.

Shelvey and Cole working as the inside forwards (I assume) is yet more tinkering and showing how highly Brendan rates Shelvey despite him coming in for quite a bit of criticism in certain corners. Can't say I like Downing and Shelvey/Cole as a defensive pairing though and there is absolutely a chance we will be exposed on that side, would of much preferred Robinson to get a game and unsure why he's being overlooked completely.

Having said that I still expect us to have too much for them offensively and Lucas is shrewd enough to realise where our main weakness is and I'm sure we'll see him mopping up on the left side many times. Plenty of pressure on the result and I believe resting Raheem is absolutely the right thing to do, 3 points needed to continue our march up the table and start to put pressure on those in and around 4th.

Seems like it's every game now with the table so tight, but if results go our way the table could look much more positive come 5pm Saturday.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #54: Dec 13, 2012 10:11:07 pm
      Liverpool Ways ‏@LiverpoolWays
      Neil Swarbrick has been appointed referee for #LFC v Aston #Villa on Saturday

Have we had this ref before?
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #55: Dec 13, 2012 10:26:20 pm

He likes giving yellows and penos by his stats http://www.football-lineups.com/referee/287/stats.
      « Last Edit: Dec 13, 2012 10:36:49 pm by bigears »
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #56: Dec 14, 2012 12:07:17 am
      Fiver on Suarez to get a pen then? :D
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #57: Dec 14, 2012 12:26:54 am

Hmmm. He does like to give out yellows. He hasn't reffed many PL matches.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #58: Dec 14, 2012 11:28:29 am
      Fiver on Suarez to get a pen then? :D
      And a resounding minute of sarcastic cheering to follow ;)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,662 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #59: Dec 14, 2012 12:03:08 pm
      And a resounding minute of sarcastic cheering to follow ;)

Nah, we're going to have a party.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,516 posts | 3460 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #60: Dec 14, 2012 01:23:35 pm

Isn't he some kind of cleaning material ?
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #61: Dec 14, 2012 07:12:16 pm
      Tomorrow's line-up according to the bib theory:

Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,500 posts | 233 
      Reply #62: Dec 14, 2012 07:19:22 pm
      Happy with that team, though would have liked Sahin in and rest Allen.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #63: Dec 14, 2012 07:49:52 pm
      Sahin and Assaidi. Please give Robinson a run out he's looked class in u21s from what I've seen.
      PG LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      • JFT96
      Reply #64: Dec 14, 2012 08:24:32 pm
      Looking forward to tomorrows match, I think we showed some real spirit last week at W.Ham, and hope we can build on that.

The team looks strong .. C'mon you Redmen :)
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #65: Dec 14, 2012 09:01:56 pm
      Gone for a win in this one, although not getting too carried away with our win at west ham. If Diame had stayed on, could have been different as he was running the show before his hammy went. Also with Johnson gatting forward, Jarvis was countering and Joe Allen as cover was dismal.  The result was what I expected, but I didn't think we would be second best to West Ham for most of the game. Need to shore things up a bit this saturday and start bossing the middle of the park. Hope Lucas can do 90 this week as he certainly makes a difference. Feel more confident with wing backs while Lucas is on the pitch.  Gerrard seems to be coasting through games, he needs to up the work rate and start dominating the centre of the park like we know he can.  Shelvy is a bit of a rough diamond but we need more of our players to show his energy and passion.  I would expect us to win this 3 - 0 but only if we make the appropriate improvements from last week. Remembering how we dominated both the manc teams early in the season, seems like we've dropped a level since then, and we need to get back to that, with an attitude and confidence that puts teams on the back foot, rather than letting them come at us. Get a grip boys, and lets get at them from the off, and don't sit back when we go ahead. New start Sat, it's called the giant red steamroller. Lets flatten the bas**rds.! >:D >:D >:D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #66: Dec 14, 2012 09:06:57 pm
      I feel sorry for Sahin if he does not start to get a run of games soon. I can't see him signing permanently in the summer at this rate. How often is this bib theory right on line-ups?
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #67: Dec 14, 2012 10:38:36 pm
      I feel sorry for Sahin if he does not start to get a run of games soon. I can't see him signing permanently in the summer at this rate. How often is this bib theory right on line-ups?
      That was a few days before kick-off, things usually change, especially with Cole's injury record.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #68: Dec 14, 2012 11:59:53 pm
      Larry and Gites big time so NO singing for me tomorrow :(  Would'nt be surprised to see Joe Cole start for this (shop window and that )3 - 0 with Stevie first goal.IBRWT. YNWA.

Quick Reply