Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Liverpool 1-3 Aston Villa: In-Game and Post Match Tears

Read 49062 times
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Re: Liverpool 1-3 Aston Villa: In-Game and Post Match Tears
      Reply #644: Dec 16, 2012 03:40:36 pm
      Yeah but you know in your heart it won't f**king happen.

"The welsh Xavi" is Brendan's love child.
      I hate him being called that. At least Xavi deserves some respect .
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #645: Dec 16, 2012 03:42:31 pm
      Are we going to blame the fact we crossed the ball 44 times (or whatever it was) on 'mistakes' then?

It's a lot, lot more that individual mistakes.

Was so depressing just watching Downing, Sterling and Cole just hopefully lift the ball into the box and hope for the best. Bet Suarez was F***ing loving that.

There is no creative spark in the final third. No Cazorla, Mata or Silva type player.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #646: Dec 16, 2012 04:05:16 pm
      Are we going to blame the fact we crossed the ball 44 times (or whatever it was) on 'mistakes' then?

It's a lot, lot more that individual mistakes.

Was so depressing just watching Downing, Sterling and Cole just hopefully lift the ball into the box and hope for the best. Bet Suarez was F***ing loving that.

There is no creative spark in the final third. No Cazorla, Mata or Silva type player.

What pisses me off even more is watching our static midfield when we start putting crosses into the box, we have one man in there if we're lucky, no one pushes up to support or even try getting into the box to attack the ball.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #647: Dec 16, 2012 04:06:27 pm
      I hate him being called that. At least Xavi deserves some respect .

You might want to tell Brendan, he coined the phrase!!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #648: Dec 16, 2012 04:13:19 pm
      Still haven't had a chance to watch the game and I'm not sure I wa\nt to because a3-1 home defeat to Villa isn't good enough.

I've said it plenty of times this season that this current squad is much better than the results they have got and it is easliy good enought to beat Aston Villa at home so something has went wrong be it players attitude, mistakes, tactics, team selection.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #649: Dec 16, 2012 04:33:29 pm
      Give BR time. I really hope he will rectify the errors. This is his first experience in top level. He is not a SAF or Mourinho with tons of experience. After all this is just second premier league season as a manager. Everyone learns with mistakes. He is young , he will learn.

I'm more than willing and happy to give BR time, but he must be seen to be doing the right thing. But if fans keeps seeing the same mistakes repeated while players taking turns to perform complacently that cost us points dropped, the most ardent and patient fan will go berserk at some point. I'm not asking BR to win the league, far from it, but be an effective unit with the available players and get far away from the drop zone. At this very moment that I'm typing this post, I'm more anxious that we don't drop further down to the drop zone than finishing 4th.

What got onto the fans' nerves is we lost 3-1 on home soil when we're expected to beat them 3,4,5,6, or 7-0, no disrespect to Villa, we simply ushered in their goals in someway. If it had been a drawn game, we still get the moans and groans, but 3-1 at home and we have malfunctioned defence and is something where the fans can't accept.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #650: Dec 16, 2012 04:46:56 pm
      What pisses me off even more is watching our static midfield when we start putting crosses into the box, we have one man in there if we're lucky, no one pushes up to support or even try getting into the box to attack the ball.

Very true mate, that's another thing every team above us is better than us at. Gets even worse when Suarez drifts out wide to pick up the ball too.

I think Brendan wanted Sigurdsson to be the main man to support the striker but when we missed out on him we ended up getting two midfielders who play deeper and aren't known for pushing up that much. Don't get why he did that because now not only do we lack goals in the front three, we lack goals in the middle of the park too.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #651: Dec 16, 2012 04:52:00 pm
      Yesterday's result was all you need to know about the mammoth task confronting the manager, we are reaping the results of a faulted system and you can put as many interpretations to that as takes your wish.
      If the resources and the will were indeed available it is extremely doubtful anyway that anything could affect the situation in one window, assuming of course the arorementioned were part of the itinerary.
      We have been placated with excuses and intention that have passed their sell by; the club is sinking into obscurity.

Agreed Stuey - there is no doubting the malaise even if its painful to watch. My intended point was that ive seen nothing to suggest this squad are about to suddenly turn things around. I don't think a couple of signings is gonna make a difference so we better hope that Rush is right in that something "magical" happens and this template starts to bear fruit - cos there's no plan B.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #652: Dec 16, 2012 05:04:13 pm
      The main thrust of my comment was the owners seem unwilling to address our league standing etc under BR when they took such unprecedented and forthright steps with Kenny but let's not forget Comolli who as 50% of the managerial team was in situ to ''monitor'' any transactions at the behest of FSG before condemning KD.
      Could it be they accept the current status of LFC as a reflection of the manager's enforced aspirational modesty?
      Such modesty does have financial connotations of course beneficial to any interested parties wishing to keep their hands in their pockets.

Hang on - we have had 1 transfer window... Yes, they backed Kenny but I bet he went in and asked, I would argue that BR didnt go asking as much as Kenny. Before we jump up on the owners lets give them 1 more window.

With regards to our style... When we get the right personell and drill the players we will be a lot better, lets just hope between now and then we dont slip too far. The rest of what I have to say is for the trasfer threads etc...

What worries me most about yesterday is that it gives every team a perfect blueprint on how to beat us!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #653: Dec 16, 2012 05:07:53 pm
      I would argue that BR didnt go asking as much as Kenny.

Could well be a big reason why he got the job in the first place.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #654: Dec 16, 2012 05:31:54 pm
      Could well be a big reason why he got the job in the first place.

You dont go for a job and say, by the way - your in sh*te and I will need £400 Million to sort it... No manager would - and if they did they wouldnt get the job!

Now, in the cold light of day I can see that yesterday was a very bad result - but not the end of the world as some people beleive. Even the best teams in the world lose games. Christ Barca lost to Celtic - they almost lost twice! And as with all teams, they lose in the league.

We need to score more and take our chances - we also need to realise that players like Sterling, as good as he is will not at this time win us 10+ games a season. We need depth, quality and time. Some fans wont give us that, and some need to realise how far we have dropped... I also think some need to look forward and not backwards - although that goes for our players, downing & hendo I am talking to you!

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #655: Dec 16, 2012 05:34:09 pm
      Hang on - we have had 1 transfer window... Yes, they backed Kenny but I bet he went in and asked, I would argue that BR didnt go asking as much as Kenny. Before we jump up on the owners lets give them 1 more window.

With regards to our style... When we get the right personell and drill the players we will be a lot better, lets just hope between now and then we dont slip too far. The rest of what I have to say is for the trasfer threads etc...

What worries me most about yesterday is that it gives every team a perfect blueprint on how to beat us!

That could take years though mate.  One more window may see a slight improvement in terms of goals scored or chances created but if we keep leaking goals or being out muscled in midfield we won't get anywhere near where we want to be.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #656: Dec 16, 2012 05:40:42 pm
      You dont go for a job and say, by the way - your in sh*te and I will need £400 Million to sort it... No manager would - and if they did they wouldnt get the job!

Exactly what I mean but I think your wrong as there would be plenty of managers who would stress how important investment would be and outline where it could take us.

FSG hired a man who is comfortable working with young players and who more than likely will not rock the boat when it comes to spending on players.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #657: Dec 16, 2012 05:42:00 pm
      That could take years though mate.  One more window may see a slight improvement in terms of goals scored or chances created but if we keep leaking goals or being out muscled in midfield we won't get anywhere near where we want to be.

Unless we get new owners, who are seriously rich - city style then yes it will take years. I would rather that then be left in a real situation when the owners decide to leave. Mark my words, Chelsea will one day be in real trouble!

If in this window we sign 3 players we will be in a lot better place. We need a top class finisher, a top attacking winger who can play on the right or left and a really classy midfielder who can create opportunities. Had we gone one or even dare I say 2 up yesterday then we wouldno way lost - in fact hey would have imploded and we could have battered them. Far too often do we dominate, not score then go behind and lose / draw games we should have won. With these additions we could be a great side...
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #658: Dec 16, 2012 05:42:06 pm
      If only we could wind back time; eh Diego? The thing is; looking to start a row debate about what posters didn't do last season is, sort, of pointless.

However I'll try to help you understand; Kenny Dalglish is a legend for many, many, reasons, both on and off the field. Most people not only recognise this but also have an additional affection, loyalty and respect for Kenny that they don't have for others.

In turn that affection, respect and loyalty meant he was (rightfully in my opinion) cut more slack. You may not understand this, you may not agree and you may take exception with it but that's the facts Diego and (by now) you should have learned to accept  it.

Of course I understand, I just don't accept - certainly not from fans who take so much pride of their special relationship with their managers. No need to transfer the anger that should be on the owners (for sacking a legend of the club) to the guy who replaced him.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #659: Dec 16, 2012 05:51:33 pm

They already basically said that Deb, owners said it, Brendan said it; people may not like it but is should come as no surprise whatsoever.

“Our ambitions do not lie in cementing a mid-table place with expensive, short-term quick fixes.”

We do not expect miracles overnight nor should anyone else.

Rodgers is confident he will get time to introduce his methods at Anfield. "This is long-term, that was important to me, to come into a project over a number of years," he said.

"Also the frustration. It has been over 20 years since they won the title. We might not be ready for the title but the process begins today, it's a new cycle, and that is something that we will work towards in the years to come."

'This is an iconic club in world football but we are not at that level as a team.
      'It is going to take time to build and create an identity again
      to hopefully get to that level

Do you need time to build that philosophy here?

You do. There is no doubt about that. I'm very much a realist. It's certainly going to be a few years in relation to where the team is at now. It will need some investment and it will need time for me to work. But of course we're in the business of winning and winning games is important. But it's a philosophy and a style that's very much in the DNA of me and the club and hopefully we can roll that out over the years to come.

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2012/brendan-rodgers-unveiled-at-lfc-press-conference/

When i read all of this I told myself it was going to take a few years to do, obviously the words long-term have different meanings to different people...for some people it may mean years for others it's a few months.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #660: Dec 16, 2012 05:52:39 pm
      Unless we get new owners, who are seriously rich - city style then yes it will take years. I would rather that then be left in a real situation when the owners decide to leave. Mark my words, Chelsea will one day be in real trouble!

If in this window we sign 3 players we will be in a lot better place. We need a top class finisher, a top attacking winger who can play on the right or left and a really classy midfielder who can create opportunities. Had we gone one or even dare I say 2 up yesterday then we wouldno way lost - in fact hey would have imploded and we could have battered them. Far too often do we dominate, not score then go behind and lose / draw games we should have won. With these additions we could be a great side...

You've just contradicted yourself though mate.  We don't have the money or the pulling power to attract a top class finisher, a top attacking winger and a classy midfielder in this window.

We may see 3 players come in to play in those positions and we'll possibly spend £20m plus on getting them but they won't be of the quality you've mentioned.  To get that sort of quality we need to be spending £20m plus on each player and still need to offer them CL footy for them to choose us over other teams.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #661: Dec 16, 2012 06:00:11 pm
      They already basically said that Deb, owners said it, Brendan said it; people may not like it but is should come as no surprise whatsoever.

You do. There is no doubt about that. I'm very much a realist. It's certainly going to be a few years in relation to where the team is at now. It will need some investment and it will need time for me to work. But of course we're in the business of winning and winning games is important. But it's a philosophy and a style that's very much in the DNA of me and the club and hopefully we can roll that out over the years to come.

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2012/brendan-rodgers-unveiled-at-lfc-press-conference/

When i read all of this I told myself it was going to take a few years to do, obviously the words long-term have different meanings to different people...for some people it may mean years for others it's a few months.

All of that is all well and good AZ but I won't accept that our current squad is as far away as some, the manager included it seems depending on when you ask him, would have us believe.

Might take time getting to where we truly want to be but we shouldn't allow ourselves to accept the sh*te results we've had for most of the season.

Beaten 3-1 at home to Villa is simply not good enough and if Brendan thinks this squad isn't capable of beating teams such as this at home he maybe isn't as good as he thinks he is.
      « Last Edit: Dec 16, 2012 06:14:51 pm by srslfc »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #662: Dec 16, 2012 06:04:09 pm

We can call it being realistic, we can say its accepting mediocrity ...no matter how its said or paraphrased Brendan said it from the start, even to the fact that it may not be him who sees it all the way thru.

I'm not disputing those points AZ, I quite liked what I heard from them in October 2010 and was looking forward to seeing the plan being put into action.

My issue is it's now December 2012 and we are further back than when they started.  If they had such ambitious plans when they bought us why the f**k have they dithered about getting the job done.

Personally now, I don't believe they had a plan.  I think they're doing everything on the hoof, on impulse, being reactive not proactive.

Any businessmen who buy into a new venture, even if they've no experience in it, will have a plan of who, how, when and why.  They've just dribbled honey coated pleasantries onto a gullible fanbase and we've lapped it up.

We wanted so desperately to believe they would revive our standing and reputation that we've given them the time and the patience they requested.

For me, time's up.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #663: Dec 16, 2012 06:05:56 pm

Si,

I don't know if it is or not. I thought as a whole we have looked good this season.

I was anticipating massive growing pains and mistakes and I have seen them.

When Brendan came in and said this was going to be a long haul I took him at his word and dug my heels in to support his ideas for the long term.

We finished mid-table last year and unless there is some massive massive spending or a spectacular amount of luck I figured we would be in that 5-8 spot this season as well.

It's not a matter of liking it, more so trying to understand what the gaffer is trying to do and accepting his ideas and time frames.

So I will sit here now and say nothing just as I will going into next season and the one after that if need be.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #664: Dec 16, 2012 06:07:37 pm
      I'm not disputing those points AZ, I quite liked what I heard from them in October 2010 and was looking forward to seeing the plan being put into action.

My issue is it's now December 2012 and we are further back than when they started.  If they had such ambitious plans when they bought us why the f**k have they dithered about getting the job done.

Personally now, I don't believe they had a plan.  I think they're doing everything on the hoof, on impulse, being reactive not proactive.

Any businessmen who buy into a new venture, even if they've no experience in it, will have a plan of who, how, when and why.  They've just dribbled honey coated pleasantries onto a gullible fanbase and we've lapped it up.

We wanted so desperately to believe they would revive our standing and reputation that we've given them the time and the patience they requested.

For me, time's up.

Totally understand Debs, and just to clarify I am speaking on Brendan Rodgers in these posts and not on FSG.

As Stuey said in another thread, he can play the cards he is dealt and nothing more.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #665: Dec 16, 2012 06:07:41 pm
      You've just contradicted yourself though mate.  We don't have the money or the pulling power to attract a top class finisher, a top attacking winger and a classy midfielder in this window.

We may see 3 players come in to play in those positions and we'll possibly spend £20m plus on getting them but they won't be of the quality you've mentioned.  To get that sort of quality we need to be spending £20m plus on each player and still need to offer them CL footy for them to choose us over other teams.

I disagree - Michu cost £2 Million and he is the top scorer in the premership - last season Demba Ba or Papa Cisse cost about £8 Million and they did a great job! There are loads of players that are more than capable of doing a great job for us and wouldnt want Champs League or cost £30 Million!

No, we wont be getting Falco or someone like that - we could however buy well and get results. It's not just about marquee signings - and I would not want us to go out and spend this level of cash. That will only invite pressure on the team and the individual and have silly fans going mental.

3 players who want to win with us, care and work hard with a bit more quality than we currently have will do for me.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #666: Dec 16, 2012 06:18:09 pm
      I disagree - Michu cost £2 Million and he is the top scorer in the premership - last season Demba Ba or Papa Cisse cost about £8 Million and they did a great job! There are loads of players that are more than capable of doing a great job for us and wouldnt want Champs League or cost £30 Million!

No, we wont be getting Falco or someone like that - we could however buy well and get results. It's not just about marquee signings - and I would not want us to go out and spend this level of cash. That will only invite pressure on the team and the individual and have silly fans going mental.

3 players who want to win with us, care and work hard with a bit more quality than we currently have will do for me.

But that's what I meant about it taking years mate.  Those type of players might improve us slightly for half a season but they aren't quality enough to sustain it for the next two or three.

So then we have another 3 players arrive in the summer who again will give us a slight improvement.  Then again in January and the following summer.

In the meantime you have players like Agger, Reina, Suarez et al wanting to move on as they can see how slow the process is.  So then you've got those to replace, losing what quality we do have.

It's a downward spiral unless the new players are of sufficient quality.  We may as well just promote all the academy players and not bother buying anyone.

Quick Reply