Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Liverpool 1-3 Aston Villa: In-Game and Post Match Tears

Read 49066 times
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,295 posts | 764 
      Re: Liverpool 1-3 Aston Villa: In-Game and Post Match Tears
      Reply #690: Dec 16, 2012 08:19:59 pm
      You're not on you're own mate
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #691: Dec 17, 2012 05:17:42 am
      I was not that surprised, after seeing Allen and Gerrard playing as such, and Shelvey & Downing on the left, I expected something like that. We have the players but BR still favors Downing and still hasn't the guts to drop one of Gerrard or Allen, even Lucas could have been dropped in favor of a natural LW. I blame BR for this one, he did not put the players in the good conditions, we were overconfident and his team selection is ridiculous IMO.
      We played as well as usual, but Lucas has not the fitness required yet to boss a midfield on his own and neither Gerrard and Allen helped him enough.
      As good as Shelvey is, he isn't a winger. What's the logic of playing such a tall, athletic box-to-box CM on a wing? While you have 3CMs who will probably not score(although Gerrard scored one).

We have Suso, Assaidi and "Pacheco" who can play there and would have been more likely to score.

It's BR who has shot himself in the foot, overconfidence and ridiculous team selection IMO.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #692: Dec 17, 2012 09:17:47 am
      I was not that surprised, after seeing Allen and Gerrard playing as such, and Shelvey & Downing on the left...

... It's BR who has shot himself in the foot, overconfidence and ridiculous team selection IMO.

I guess that answers the question: Who shot B.R.?  :laugh:

Team selection: It's a difficult one, for me, this because the team that I saw on Saturday controlled the ball, dominated possession and created enough chances to have won the game. So that, coupled with the players he has at his disposal, leaves me thinking that I'm not so sure that Brendan got the selection wrong.

However; as fans most of us tend to just look to the end result then either criticise or praise. Take last week - this board was bouncing and full of joy yet... Downing had played most of the game at left-back; "Gerrard and Allen were playing as such" and Shelvey was playing out of position. No complaints then. Why? Because we won.

When we are losing or have lost it's natural to be angry. It's natural to lash out at "wrong substitutions" or "team selection" because that's the easy thing to look at and all without recrimination. After all we can all give our suggestions on where he went wrong with the added luxury of never being proven wrong ourselves.

We don't and never will know, for example, if the players who we "would have selected" would have done better; if the substitutions we "would have made" would have won the game so it's very easy for us (myself included) to sit and snipe... after the fact.

Saturday's result was a big, F**k-off, slap in the face but the test comes after that. Not on how we, as fans, will respond but how Brendan and his limited squad react to and learn from the game and any mistakes.

We have been badly let down by an ownership which does things ad hoc and (although they may try to bull-sh*t us different) has had no clear plan/strategy. By "we" I mean the fans; the players and the manager. I'm going to stick my neck out here and suggest that most of us saw us as having to tread water until January... I certainly did.

When Brendan was unable to get three of his 'transfer targets' (names are unimportant), two due to budget constraint, I expected, tho' hoped against, some rough times and some sh*te results as he had to "mend and make do". So no real surprises there.

The thing is (and I can only talk for myself); until Brendan is supported by the owners I can't pass judgement on him proper. Has he shot himself in the foot? Nah... not yet.

indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #693: Dec 17, 2012 09:26:20 am

Team selection: It's a difficult one, for me, this because the team that I saw on Saturday controlled the ball, dominated possession and created enough chances to have won the game. So that, coupled with the players he has at his disposal, leaves me thinking that I'm not so sure that Brendan got the selection wrong.

However; as fans most of us tend to just look to the end result then either criticise or praise. Take last week - this board was bouncing and full of joy yet... Downing had played most of the game at left-back; "Gerrard and Allen were playing as such" and Shelvey was playing out of position. No complaints then. Why? Because we won.

When we are losing or have lost it's natural to be angry. It's natural to lash out at "wrong substitutions" or "team selection" because that's the easy thing to look at and all without recrimination. After all we can all give our suggestions on where he went wrong with the added luxury of never being proven wrong ourselves.

We don't and never will know, for example, if the players who we "would have selected" would have done better; if the substitutions we "would have made" would have won the game so it's very easy for us (myself included) to sit and snipe... after the fact.

Saturday's result was a big, f**k-off, slap in the face but the test comes after that. Not on how we, as fans, will respond but how Brendan and his limited squad react to and learn from the game and any mistakes.

We have been badly let down by an ownership which does things ad hoc and (although they may try to bull-sh*t us different) has had no clear plan/strategy. By "we" I mean the fans; the players and the manager. I'm going to stick my neck out here and suggest that most of us saw us as having to tread water until January... I certainly did.

When Brendan was unable to get three of his 'transfer targets' (names are unimportant), two due to budget constraint, I expected, tho' hoped against, some rough times and some sh*te results as he had to "mend and make do". So no real surprises there.

The thing is (and I can only talk for myself); until Brendan is supported by the owners I can't pass judgement on him proper. Has he shot himself in the foot? Nah... not yet.
      We were struggling when allen dictating the tempo in that game. Many of the posters pointed out that as well.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #694: Dec 17, 2012 09:30:46 am
      I can remember the days when if we lost a game my first thought was god help the next team we play 'cos they're going to pay for that  :)

Yes, I too remeber those days..! I used to walk out of the pub laughing after a defeat thinking about the 'backlash' that will be dished out next week. One loss didnt bother me - we normally played well and had 'on of those days' where the wood work stopped us and their keeper played a blinder! Now one loss and I think the worst..! Still - Jan is coming soon and lets see what happens - onwards and upwards...
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #695: Dec 17, 2012 09:32:10 am
      We were struggling when allen dictating the tempo in that game. Many of the posters pointed out that as well.
      Aye mate... during the game and before we won. Afterwards there were very few complaints the reason being we won. Read the whole post in context, it may help.

Oh and I'm not asking you to agree or anything... it's just my opinion; I may be wrong and often am.

indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #696: Dec 17, 2012 09:49:36 am
      of
      Aye mate... during the game and before we won. Afterwards there were very few complaints the reason being we won. Read the whole post in context, it may help.

Oh and I'm not asking you to agree or anything... it's just my opinion; I may be wrong and often am.

Of course mate. Even i am sharing my opinion. BR should have subbed off allen and move Shelvey to AM position. It may not have worked, but still we could have said he tried to make things happen.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #697: Dec 17, 2012 10:03:44 am
      Still can't believe we lost that one. Gut wrenching.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #698: Dec 17, 2012 10:10:27 am
      Of course mate. Even i am sharing my opinion. BR should have subbed off allen and move Shelvey to AM position. It may not have worked, but still we could have said he tried to make things happen.
      I guess we'll never know then; eh?

I rest my case m'lud.  :laugh:

Take care indy and have a happy holidays... I'm out of this thread.  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #699: Dec 17, 2012 10:22:28 am
      I guess we'll never know then; eh?

I rest my case m'lud.  :laugh:

Take care indy and have a happy holidays... I'm out of this thread.  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Bye bad boy  ;)
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,295 posts | 764 
      Reply #700: Dec 17, 2012 11:09:03 am
      Need to put points on the board over the Christmas period to make up for that disastrous home defeat against Villa. We have Fulham at home Stoke and QPR away. A minimum of 7 points must be the target with a draw at Stoke a satisfactory point.
      Plantman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts |
      • Youll*Never*Walk*Alone
      Reply #701: Dec 17, 2012 12:23:11 pm
      I wish we had someone up there with luis, i would go back to a traditional 4-4-2 formation because this tip tapping the ball around the 2/3 of the pitch doesnt break teams down, we simply rely on luis to do something magical and teams just sit back and wait.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #702: Dec 17, 2012 01:17:10 pm
      I wish we had someone up there with luis, i would go back to a traditional 4-4-2 formation because this tip tapping the ball around the 2/3 of the pitch doesnt break teams down, we simply rely on luis to do something magical and teams just sit back and wait.

Love your work Plantman. 
      Plantman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts |
      • Youll*Never*Walk*Alone
      Reply #703: Dec 17, 2012 01:50:00 pm

Cheers, i miss the RAF days ;D (at least they gave us a decent threat up there)
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #704: Dec 17, 2012 07:26:23 pm
      Am still in shock . Every time we look like wer on the up there's a kick n the balls

Ynwa
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #705: Dec 17, 2012 10:49:41 pm
      My gut feelings were so much overconfidence that the match was won before we got on the pitch. And brendan contributed to this by saying we were top 4 four. Its obvious gerrad is needs to be rested from time to time.But he is brendans poster boy. He has played far to many games for his age,and its beginning to show.Allen has not lived up to his huge transfer fee,and its the same old song play 10 good games and become a poster boy.And other players see this and it lowers the team spirit, and the rot sets in where other players play below there potential.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #706: Dec 18, 2012 12:33:15 am
      This has been a very hard defeat for me to take :(
      zanwalk
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 142 posts |
      Reply #707: Dec 18, 2012 08:17:29 am

Saturday's result was a big, f**k-off, slap in the face but the test comes after that. Not on how we, as fans, will respond but how Brendan and his limited squad react to and learn from the game and any mistakes.

Excellent post BBB, very balanced and fair. Thank you.
      dunkie1959
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Re: LIVE: Liverpool v Aston Villa
      Reply #708: Dec 18, 2012 07:23:37 pm
      Comment on BBC chat, some fans we have.

From James in Warrington, via text: "Rodgers has to go. The guy is tactically inept and shows no passion on the sidelines. NOT the man for Liverpool."
      Well said.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,322 posts | 1524 
      Reply #709: Dec 19, 2012 12:43:43 am
      Well i like most were totally gutted by the result, and for the most of it, the performance. Yes we did have opportunities to score, and once again wasted them but thats two weeks in succesion we have been dominated by a big powerfull individual in mid field, even though Villas man was playing a more advanced attacking roll. Was uncomfortable with the elation after the West Ham win, as I thought we got out of jail a bit there. Although I was encouraged by the continued fight in that game.Biggest worry for me is it's nearly January and the only transfer talk we hear is of Sturridge and Ince. Don't think they are capable of mending whats broken at the mo. Without Shelvey alongside him, or unless Gerrard gets his arse in gear, Allen is far too lightweight in the middle. He's decent yeah, but not going to set the world on fire. That is whats wrong, too many of our players are.... well... decent. We desperately need top quality, not potential, we were too easily brushed aside in the middle of the park, two games on the trot. I think most prem managers will have taken notice of that. Tough times ahead whith the 15 points up for grabs, now a not so great 12. Needless to say, the performances of the last two games have left me personally thinking we won't make top10 let alone 4 th if mediocre sides can so easily brush us aside. Devastated I am, devastated. Every time I think we are on the mend, another kick in the goenads.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #710: Dec 19, 2012 01:56:44 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #711: Dec 19, 2012 01:58:17 pm
      >:(FFS am I the only one who can see where we're going, gubbed at home by AV, so happy to beat West Ham. Quote from Rage against the machine: WAKE UP!!!!!!.

Completely missed this sh*te, want to elaborate?
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,148 posts | 258 
      Reply #712: Dec 19, 2012 02:11:20 pm
      It may look crazy but I still want to say that I think a defeat against A.Villa is like someone say a "crucial day of defense" and I don't think it will happen often enough. If we finish the chances we created at beginning of the games we can win.

And, I will say that I'm not feel comfortable the day we won against WHU as I'm quietly fear that if their Diame not out injure it's very difficult for us to win. Of course I may posted congratulate  after game but I don't want to see someone hit a nuke launcher button if I say thing against people good feelings.

Someone say the majority of supporters just look at the final score and praise or criticize the team and overlook the team's 'real performance'. But I would like to say that sometime some good stats or 'good performance' also not everything.  Such as possession as many posters mentioned it mean nothing if it not do harm the opponent. Or the 95-100 % back/side pass completion of Lucas or Allen is nothing better than 50% killer pass of Gerrard or Alonso.

I'm not against BR's or anyone's philosophy that keep possession give us more chance to win but you have to see what's opponent bring to hit your head let alone we have only Johnson, Sterling and Enrique who seem able to keep a ball longer than 5 seconds. Also the way we put tons of blind crosses to the opponent box that filled by 7-8 of their players against our only 1 or 2 players (who all not expert on heading the ball) is seemed against BR's patient play the ball on the ground philosophy.

And finally I believe even god also cannot answer why BR play with strange team selection, too stubborn keep poor form Allen on the pitch and not use the attack mind subs.

Again I believe BR learned something from the defeat. I'm one who 100% against the idea of change coach/manager easily so hopefully after he get some additional players in Jan team can score more and win more, we all know the really problem of our team is not score enough goals.

If people think it's too early to worry about the way BR football I don't think it's early, I post the reasons in BR's thread.

Quick Reply