Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Liverpool 4:0 Fulham; Pre, in game & post match glee.

Read 34757 times
      luciano-lfc
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Re: Liverpool 4:0 Fulham; Pre, in game & post match glee.
      Reply #437: Dec 23, 2012 01:37:50 am
      Watched the game but couldn't comment earlier. Loved ALL our goals and how we were creating chances. We played really well and for the full 90 minutes, which is really positive. I don't want to get too carried away, not after last weekend, and because we have two away games now (even though one of them is QPR).

Downing my MOTM. Gerrard a close second for his first half display, thought he didn't put a foot wrong and really created things from a deep position. I rather liked Shelvey as an attacking midfielder, he offers Suarez some company which is important, but he needs to improve his decision making. Think Suso is quality, but he went missing a bit. The rest of the ream were quality. Chuffed to bits with the result, it could have been more. Agger's miss comes to mind.

My, oh my, we have got a massive chance to get closer to the teams at the top end of the table now.
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #438: Dec 23, 2012 02:18:09 am
      Gerrard was sh*t (although I'm sure the TV analysts are all over him).

Really? I'm often fascinated by the differing interpretation of the games between people who watch on tv and who are in the stands. Gerrard was bright for me watching at home. What did you see that I (and most others) didn't?
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #439: Dec 23, 2012 02:38:08 am
      Gerrard was sh*t (although I'm sure the TV analysts are all over him).

:f_doh:

Thought it was his best game this season personally mate, and by some distance as well.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #440: Dec 23, 2012 02:41:43 am
      There will no doubt be things that the camera missed but I doubt it would be that much to then warrant his performance as being sh*t. Maybe it wasn't as perfect as some make out to be but it was a very good performance by the captain.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #441: Dec 23, 2012 02:54:28 am
      Good game today.

We weren't brilliant.  Gerrard was sh*t (although I'm sure the TV analysts are all over him).

Bizarre statement that is mate. He was fantastic, his range of passing was back to it's very best and defensively he was strong too, as well as chipping in with a goal and a couple of assists.
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #442: Dec 23, 2012 03:34:36 am
      I thought Gerrard was MOTM honestly. He really helped spread the defense and kept us from being too narrow with his wide passing.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #443: Dec 23, 2012 07:46:38 am
      Really? I'm often fascinated by the differing interpretation of the games between people who watch on tv and who are in the stands. Gerrard was bright for me watching at home. What did you see that I (and most others) didn't?

Stevie did very well, very happy with his performance. His passes were sharp and decisive. He looked very interested and in a big hurry to score and he did. He was quick to track back to defend and created a few necessary fouls to derail their attack.

Fulham is not really that much of a s**t, it's just that they came unprepared for the way we play. Suarez used to be the sole threat to defences, but now it stretches from Skrtel to Suarez. Let's hope those that have not scored a goal this season to start doing so. If everyone can chip in with a bit of help to score, I'm sure 4th position is not an impossible ask as every team is beating every other team this season.

The dribble from Enrique pass the defender was world class and the way Suarez sneaked into the box to score is very much like the Liverpool of the old. Skrtel strike is also world class, as if he has been putting in hours of shooting practices. Suso and Jonjo did well, but requires greater composure and exposure and time is on their side. Special mention for Pepe's safe with an outstretched leg. Downing played one of his best games in a Liverpool shirt.

If we play the same way as we did in the next game, I'm sure we'll get the desired results.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #444: Dec 23, 2012 08:24:27 am
       watched the game on ESPN  but had to go out  and missed the last 10 minutes, so lost the suarez goal
       Anyway Great game from all the lads , Downing was class , played very well, think it was his best game since he joined,and the player we expected then
       lets hope we keep this momento going

YNWA
      Scottbot

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #445: Dec 23, 2012 09:20:04 am
      Either everyone was out on the Christmas piss up last night or people simply don't like to talk about LFC wins in comparison to LFC losses? 15 pages for the pre, in game and post match thread is very quiet compared to last week's Villa outcry.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #446: Dec 23, 2012 09:22:32 am
      Good game today.

We weren't brilliant.  Gerrard was sh*t (although I'm sure the TV analysts are all over him).

We need a second striker who can bag the goals and we need a world class creative midfielder.

Let's not get over ourselves though - Fulham weren't up for this today - neither was their 12 fans who turned up. 

But, personally, for my first game back at Anfield for a while I'll quite happily take 4-0. (Heard it's not been so good in the last 3 months ;) )

Did someone piss on your cornflakes yesterday JD? ;)

Opinions from match goers and match viewers really do differ don't they? I have to agree with Danny and say that from my couch it looked like Gerrards best game of the season and I'd say for the first 60 minutes we were brilliant until we took our foot off the gas and cruised for the last half an hour.

Can't really blame the Fulham fans (they said 900 of them had travelled?) for not amassing in numbers, the stat they gave out last night in the commentary was that in 8 years of away games they've won 17 times, since the Premiership started they only won 30 odd. That's a lot of weary and expensive travelling that.

I'd have to agree with your comment about needing a quality, clinical striker though. Whether they'll be spending that kind of money is a completely different matter and I don't trust our scouting/signing enough to think they'll discover the new Messi for £5m.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #447: Dec 23, 2012 09:39:56 am
      Hope not to sound pessimistic here.  But beating a Fulham team which didn't turn up and have won only 1 away game is nothing to be riding home about.  But it was nice to finish the last game of 2012 with a thumping win.
      Now we need these score lines against the bigger teams like utd, madrid just like the old days :)
      Onward and upwards.
      Redangel

• 8,309 posts | 1004 
      Reply #448: Dec 23, 2012 09:41:05 am
      Great result and 4 goals. No complaints today and it was good to see Downing put in another good performance.
      Hope we hang onto him , at least 'till the summer , see no point selling him , we need a bigger squad.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #449: Dec 23, 2012 09:43:44 am
      I don't think the opinion differs too much, just an individuals view of the game.

From the back of the Kop, I agree with everyone who says Gerrard had a good game, surprisingly so did Downing!
      Aswell as Johnson, Enrique, Suarez to name a few.
      Really good game, I don't care who the opposition is- that's how we are capable of playing we can beat anyone who is put in front of us.
      Scottbot

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #450: Dec 23, 2012 09:44:47 am
      Hope not to sound pessimistic here.  But beating a Fulham team which didn't turn up and have won only 1 away game is nothing to be riding home about.  But it was nice to finish the last game of 2012 with a thumping win.
      Now we need these score lines against the bigger teams like utd, madrid just like the old days :)
      Onward and upwards.

I don't mean to pick out your post fella but this is what i was referring to in my previous post in here. Compare the lethargy of people's reactions to our 4-0 win yesterday to the vitriolic fury of the responses to last week's loss to Villa. Something doesn't add up for me. why does everyone have so much more to say when we lose? I feel the complete opposite.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,971 posts | 3056 
      Reply #451: Dec 23, 2012 09:48:31 am
      :f_doh:

Thought it was his best game this season personally mate, and by some distance as well.

Seconded - best I've seen him in a while. Wonder whether Allen not starting simplified Stevie's movement.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #452: Dec 23, 2012 09:51:05 am
      Would strongly have to disagree with JD about Gerrard ,i thought he had one of his better games this season ,and with a bit more help   around him he will come good again ,took his goal well but also had to make the run to get there which has been missing of late .
      After a thouroughly miserable time getting there ,enjoyed the game saying that we should have bagged at least six ,which only goes to show how much we really need that clinical man in front of goal,had my nephew with me yesterday he said he should get a season ticket as he has only seen us lose once and in his words we didnt deserve to lose that one ,even my sister thinks he is my lucky mascot.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #453: Dec 23, 2012 10:10:29 am
      Watched the last half hour or so in the pub. It was good to see the team put a decent performance together, after last week's painful defeat. Highest position up to 8th, hope the side can find some much needed consistency, and who knows how high the side could go with another striker added to the team in January.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #454: Dec 23, 2012 10:23:52 am
      Is there anywhere I can watch the MOTD highlights..? Last site I tried was full of virus's and worms - almost lost my PC..!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #455: Dec 23, 2012 10:45:15 am
      Well F***ing chuffed with that.

Passion, intensity, speed and skill all over the shop. Not forgetting some good individual performances. Our passing was swift, crisp and full of attacking intent with Gerrard, in particular, showing the full range (he was, just about, shaded out of MoTM by Downing, for me).

All and all a good team display and well worth any praise it's getting. Well in Redmen. Yeehaa!

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #456: Dec 23, 2012 10:49:41 am
      Good game today.

We need a second striker who can bag the goals and we need a world class creative midfielder.

Let's not get over ourselves though - Fulham weren't up for this today - neither was their 12 fans who turned up. 

But, personally, for my first game back at Anfield for a while I'll quite happily take 4-0. (Heard it's not been so good in the last 3 months ;) )

You really think Gerrard was that bad? I thought he was very good. Tackled, passed, tracked back, supported attack and defence, and scored.

Only thing I can think of that made you think he was that bad, was perhaps his work off the ball was poor, because the camera rarely if ever follows a player when he doesn't have the ball.

Why do you think Gerrard was so poor?
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #457: Dec 23, 2012 11:23:52 am
      Great 3points yesterday! Thought we played well but Fulham were awful! Hope we stay grounded this week! Push on and get 6 points from the stoke and qpr! Hate playing stoke but it should be 3 in the bag!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #458: Dec 23, 2012 11:28:48 am
      Just want to clarify my stance of Suso and Sterling.

For the past half a dozen games, perhaps as many as 10, Sterling has struggled. He's shown little glimpses of what he's capable of here and there, but all too often he's been too easily pushed out wide or he has run into defenders, who to be fair, are doubling and tripling up on him, or he's not delievered that final ball.

Suso in the last game, sure he wasn't awesome or anything, but he was involved a lot, and his passing, whilst not 'Gerrardesque', was tidy, and found its target more often than not. He takes up dangerous positions, and only a lack of experience in front of goal, has prevented him from scoring a few when he's played. Suso also works his socks off for the team (something Sterling does every game as well to be fair), and when I said Suso had done more in that 70 minute spell than Sterling has done for the last 6 games, I meant it, but of course I didn't mean it 'literally'. It's unfair to compare them anyway, because they are two different players and teams go about nullifying them differently (ie: they are out to nullify Sterling but not so much Suso - so yes, Sterling is going to be up against a lot more physical attention). I believe Suso is going to be world class in a few years, so I was wondering why I can't just sit back, and say the same about Sterling.

My problem with Sterling is that I compare him to John Barnes, and I hold my hands up here and admit that's a really stupid thing to do, and it's also very unfair on Raheem (though the fact we even consider him in the same light as Barnsey should tell us something). I forget sometimes the boy has only just turned 18 years of age (18 years? I've got cysts older than him). I know it is wrong and I know I shouldn't, but I cannot help but compare him to one of LFC's greatest ever players, and I do it without thinking, it's automatic - a knee jerking. So when I see Sterling waltz into dead ends, get pushed out wide, and fail to deliver that final ball, the result is frustration, and I tend to lash out, because I want him to do what Barnsey did - frigging destroy the opposition! But Barnsey was about 6 years older and therefore 6 years more experienced than Sterling. Perhaps I need to ask myself how good was Barnes when he was 18?

Also, the Gaffer dropping Sterling for 70 minutes was a masterstroke and told me Sterling is in good hands. Burn out in young players is a problem, and I think it happens mentally more than physically, and though Sterling looks to be one tough little Hombre (and he's as brave as they come), he was starting to look jaded. Perhaps he thought he'd 'arrived' at Anfield and was assured a starting place, perhaps he'd played too many Premiership games too soon, I'm guessing it's a mix of the two with the major issue being too many games. But after dropping him, when he did come on for the final 20 minutes, he definitely looked a yard sharper and two yards faster. In fact, when he was running at the Fulham defenders, their body language told me they were terrified of him. So well done Gaffer for knowing what to do, and for playing your cards so well. Showed real acumen, and it's another example why I think we'll be laughing next season - if he's backed. Why, even Joe Allen looked a yard quicker (or is that wishful thinking?)

So for me, I'm going to have a lot more patience with Sterling. He's just shown loyalty by signing a new 5 year contract, at the end of which, he'd have been here 6 years, and he will still be a year younger than John Barnes was when he joined us - and we all know what happened next.

So sorry Mr Sterling - over to you young man.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #459: Dec 23, 2012 11:32:23 am
      Just want to clarify my stance of Suso and Sterling.
      I wasn't aware you had a stance Rushie but thanks for clarifying it anyhow.  :)

Nice read that.

Quick Reply