Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Midfield - The key to football, why are we getting it wrong?

Read 8211 times
      Paisleydalglish
      Re: Midfield - The key to football, why are we getting it wrong?
      Reply #69: Dec 30, 2012 07:40:13 pm
      Today (QPR) showed what i meant by this thread, i was talking on the whole regarding how the midfield is the key to any game of football, the first half we dominated midfield, we won that battle and it set up us taking the 3 points. By dominating the middle of the park it gives you control of the game..

Its not a slight on any single player or saying if they are good enough, just ive felt we havent been as dominent in the middle as we have in the past. Thats morea mix of tactics and desire at times, look at how Stoke hassled us, never let us settle, we need to have our midfield doing that as well.. QPR stood off us a bit today and let us play, the opposite of Stoke, which suprised me really, yet when they brought Derry on at half time they got in our faces a bit more and it was a bit harder.. But overall we dominated the midfield..

George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #70: Dec 30, 2012 07:51:32 pm
      Our midfield lack two very key components

Physical presence and creativity

In a few games we can dominate other midfields by using movement and quick passing and being nice and tidy ( today and Fulham two perfect examples )

But put them against a dominating centre mid and they struggle

When we are also faced with a tight defence we don't have a creative "Silva" to unlock defences

We have two players that could possibly fill those gaps

Lucas can fill that physical presence but needs to grow back his confidence and fitness

And Suso can be our Silva but needs to mature a great deal yet.

Until then we will struggle to dominate a lot of teams in the prem.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #71: Dec 30, 2012 08:20:11 pm
      I think it's more about the matchup than anything else. I don't think we have a midfield three that is absolutely nailed on like we did in 08-09 when you knew Masch, Xabi and Stevie were undoubtedly the best. I think it's a bit more of a case of playing the matchup per game. I guess on paper it's Lucas, Allen (Sahin?) and Gerrard, but sometimes you need a player with a lot of energy like Henderson to start.

Quick Reply