Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4172518 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Dec 29, 2012 10:04:14 pm
      Throw all the chit-chat about rumours and gossip, as well as reflection, in here. Otherwise, if it's a credible media source then a individual (potential) player thread should be opened in accordance with the transfer board rules.
      « Last Edit: Aug 07, 2020 12:53:05 pm by JD »
      cocker the red
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 10 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #1: Dec 30, 2012 08:46:26 pm
      looks like demba ba is off too chavski imho thought he was worth a punt at 7.5 million
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2: Dec 31, 2012 04:07:58 am
      looks like demba ba is off too chavski imho thought he was worth a punt at 7.5 million

Walcott >>> Ba >>>>>>>>>>>> Sturridge
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #3: Dec 31, 2012 04:10:31 am
      I think Ba is worth a gamble at 7.5 million, but I think Ba would get more games as as striker at Chelsea and he'd probably get paid more. I would take the risk on him if he's available though. I know he is a high risk with his knee but he's a quality striker who will score goals, and at 7.5 million it'd be stupid not to consider him.

In terms of signings I still think we need a creative wide man and a striker, in addition to Sturridge. Sturridge can play on the right, Suarez through the middle. We just need someone on the left who can contribute.

Possibly move Suarez to the left, or in behind the striker and sign someone like Llorente who's available at a responsible price and play him up top.
      nohockeynoproblem
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 54 posts |
      Reply #4: Dec 31, 2012 07:24:53 am
      I think that it is important that the team add to the squad and not just swap around. Hopefully the team moves both Cole  and Downing along, replaces them and adds 2-3 other players to shore up the teams depth. There are a lot of games coming up and some of the players are already tired. One thing that has always been true is that managers like knowns, here are some guys that could be available that I expect BR to inquire about.

Scott Sinclair - Has been told he can look for a new club, but probably for a loan. He played at both Chelsea and Swansea with Rodgers, so he has certainly checked into his availability. He clearly has some value on the field, with 8 goals  and 4 assists last season, but his real value would be his understanding of the system that Rodgers is trying to implement here.

Junior Hoilett - Canadian, so I have followed him closely. Rodgers tried to add him at Swansea and again last summer. He chose QPR because of the coach, but with him gone and Redknapp not using him today you have to think that he is on his way out. Surprising because he is a very industrious player with good technical skills, he lead the EPL in successful dribbles last season, more than Suarez. He potted 7 times and set up 5 goals. Maybe he comes back as part of a Cole deal?

Those two would have been second and third in scoring for Liverpool if they had played for us last year, they are respectable young players who won't cost a fortune to bring in and will put in a good shift without even having to threaten to give them the boot. Or to put it another way, they both outscored Torres while playing for far lesser sides.

Bastian Oczipka - 23 year old German left back is tearing up the Bund. I noticed him because two other Canadians, Friend and Occean are playing there. He has been dribbling past players better than any LB in the world right now, and has been able to deliver the ball pretty well too with 7 assists already on a team of pretty mediocre talent overall.  He's reliable on the other side of the ball too, speed isn't overwhelming but he has a great stride once he gets going.  Not bad for a virtual unknown with no fan vids to speak of. Frankfurts entire  transfer budget is about 7 million, so he will be available if the team is serious.

Definite Moneyball signings who have put up better numbers than the big name players that others are talking about.

Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #5: Dec 31, 2012 08:32:05 am
      See, I think we have done a much better bit of business than CFC for Sturridge vs. Ba.

Ba has a knee problem and a definate attitude problem too - all the sh*te with his old club (Hoffenheim I beleive) and demanding a move. He could go to Chelsea and properly mess up the dressing room! We really dont need that at our club - and it's a gamble!

On the lighter side, any news on Ince returning?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #6: Dec 31, 2012 09:10:35 am
      See, I think we have done a much better bit of business than CFC for Sturridge vs. Ba.

Ba has a knee problem and a definate attitude problem too - all the sh*te with his old club (Hoffenheim I beleive) and demanding a move. He could go to Chelsea and properly mess up the dressing room! We really dont need that at our club - and it's a gamble!

On the lighter side, any news on Ince returning?
      I agree with you,in my eyes Ba is a mercenary and it would not be possible to plan for more than 1 season with him.Every club he signs for he has a low release clause so he can pocket a nice little load of dosh every time he moves on.
      cocker the red
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 10 
      Reply #7: Dec 31, 2012 09:11:32 am
      Ssn reporting talks have broken down between representatives of demba ba and Chelsea , could there be a twist we should steal a march on the rest and get in early
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #8: Dec 31, 2012 09:14:21 am
      Ba a mercenary? So is Sturridge then. I remember Sturridge winding down his contract at City to move to Chelsea. He could have gone to any other club to play regular football, but he chose Chelsea who would probably pay him more.

In terms of attitude i've never heard of Ba being a negative influence on the dressing roon.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,333 posts | 3360 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #9: Dec 31, 2012 10:25:51 am
      The Ince deal hasn't progressed but I'm sure with Oyston in charge the right offer will get the pound signs spinning in his eyes.
      RedWilly

• 9,141 posts | 1619 
      Reply #10: Dec 31, 2012 10:35:00 am
      Apparently Alexandre Pato is on his way back to Brazil, pretty much a done deal now, but he really would have been an exciting signing. Can't say I've seen too much of him in recent years, so I'm not really sure what's gone at Milan to force this move, he's still only 23 years old. Shame really, maybe if Diego reads this he can fill us in?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,333 posts | 3360 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #11: Dec 31, 2012 10:39:45 am
      Apparently Alexandre Pato is on his way back to Brazil, pretty much a done deal now, but he really would have been an exciting signing. Can't say I've seen too much of him in recent years, so I'm not really sure what's gone at Milan to force this move, he's still only 23 years old. Shame really, maybe if Diego reads this he can fill us in?
      I know him and Robinho have both asked to leave Milan, Pato has had a lot of injuries which have hampered hi progress as well as the emergence of El Shaarawy, I'm sure Diego can provide more details
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #12: Dec 31, 2012 12:19:07 pm
      In 5 and a half seasons Pato has played 117 league games which equates to roughly 21 per season. In a 38 game season that clearly shows he isn't the most reliable of strikers when it comes to avoiding injuries. That reason alone could probably put his transfer down by a 1/3 and then there is the fact he is going to a country/team that AC Milan will never play unless in circumstances such as a Club World Cup or a friendly (the former I can't see happening any time soon).

If for example we make any interest we have public knowledge then we will get taken to the cleaners with his transfer fee.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #13: Dec 31, 2012 02:09:21 pm
      Wasn't sure where to post this - from BBC website:

January transfer window - is it worth spending money?
      By David Ornstein BBC Sport

From Fernando Torres to Andrey Arshavin; Andy Carroll to Afonso Alves, the January transfer window is sure to deliver an eye-popping deal or two - but one thing it cannot guarantee is success.

Ten years have passed since British football introduced trading windows  and still the concept divides opinion; exciting and upsetting in equal measure, while producing widely varying results.

While the £925m spent in the last nine winters is dwarfed by the £3.685bn outlay across the past 10 summers, there is a feeling this January could feature unprecedented levels of activity.

There will be business opportunities like never before," ex-Liverpool and Tottenham director of football Damien Comolli told BBC Sport.

"With the new £3bn TV rights deal starting in July, Premier League clubs have a clear vision of their income for the next three years and know they've got a big ability to spend a lot of money.

"In addition, the rest of Europe is struggling financially. Teams in France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, the Netherlands and Italy are all looking at the Premier League and saying, 'You can have any of my players'.

"I've never seen a seller's market as it is now - you've got sides in Europe who are ready to write off their seasons and clear their wage bills. They are literally saying, 'everybody is for sale'."

The January window is not popular with everyone, but there can be little doubting its effect on the Premier League landscape.

It has the capacity to make or break seasons, ignite or halt a push for glory, aid or hamper survival bids and build or destroy reputations.

"I'd like to go back to old system when the window was open from the start of summer until March of the following year," said Stoke boss Tony Pulis.

"If poor form or injuries mean you have to sign players in January, you're putting them under huge pressure to make an instant impact.

"But you can certainly do good business. If we didn't buy James Beattie and Matthew Etherington in January 2009 - our first season in the top tier - there's no doubt we would have been relegated."

Beattie and Etherington came at a cost of £5.5m, with Beattie scoring seven goals and Etherington providing three assists as Stoke climbed from 18th on 1 January to 12th.

Both players were signed from British clubs and that has been the way with 59% of all January spending in the Premier League since 2003.

"If you make winter signings it's usually because of a clear, immediate need," said Alan Switzer of the Sports Business Group at Deloitte.

"Getting a player who needs little time for adjustment is preferential. Unless you are buying for the future, you really want people to hit the ground running."

Everton got exactly that when they signed Nikica Jelavic, Darron Gibson, Steven Pienaar and Landon Donovan 12 months ago, rising five places in the league and reaching the FA Cup semi-finals.

Newcastle moved from seventh to fifth with the aid of 13 goals in 14 games from Papiss Cisse, while Djibril Cisse's six goals in eight matches contributed to QPR avoiding relegation.

A year earlier, Luis Suarez scored for Liverpool against Stoke two days after signing from Ajax, despite never having trained with his new team-mates. Aston Villa leapt six places as Darren Bent joined from Sunderland and struck nine goals in 16 games.

But for every hit there is a miss - think Alves to Middlesbrough (£12.7m), Savio Nsereko to West Ham (£9m), Wayne Bridge to Manchester City (£12m) and Zoran Tosic to Manchester United (£7m).

The jury is still out on Arshavin to Arsenal (£15m), Edin Dzeko to Manchester City (£27m), Torres to Chelsea (£50m) and Carroll to Liverpool (£35m).

"You can get people who will come in from abroad and turn water into wine straight away, but there are other players who need an integration period, they need time," Pulis explained.

"It's like marriage - until you actually tie the knot you don't know what it's going to be like."

January is further complicated by time constraints, possible European and domestic cup ineligibility, and the determination of clubs to keep hold of their best players.

It means prices are usually inflated by the selling party and, as a consequence, most of the business will be done by certain clubs or teams in particular parts of the league table.

Chelsea and Manchester City have been the biggest January spenders, Tottenham and Liverpool are not far behind and Aston Villa, Newcastle, West Ham and Wigan need little invitation to open the cheque book.

In the last five seasons, the top net spenders by position are fourth, fifth, 16th, third, 15th, 17th and 18th, illustrating the importance of qualifying for the Champions League and avoiding relegation.

Two of the four lowest net spenders are first and 20th, suggesting the league leaders believe their existing squad can see them to the title and the bottom side know their chances of survival are minimal.

"Normally the top two are pretty settled and don't need to spend much - Manchester United have historically never been big spenders in January window," Switzer said.

"You occasionally get one or two clubs who are cut adrift at the bottom and, while not accepting relegation, may be preparing for the worst."

There is, of course, no guarantee spending heavily will improve matters or that keeping the purse strings tied will have a negative effect.

Manchester City's average January outlay for the last five years of £18.17m has resulted in an average finishing position of ninth. Manchester United, Arsenal and Everton on average spent £3.6m, £3.6m and £1.4m, but have average finishes of second, third and eighth.

It was interesting that instead of dipping into the market in 2009, Manchester United sought the internal solution of 17-year-old Federico Macheda and he scored two vital winners as the Red Devils rallied from third on 1 January to secure an 18th Premier League title.

Winter spending - or lack of - does, however, appear to have a fairly significant impact in and around the relegation zone.

The average January outlay of the last 15 relegated clubs was £2.47m (£0.75m net), compared to the £4.4m (£3.75m net) paid by the eight teams who were in the relegation zone on 1 January but survived.

Of the eight sides who went down at their expense, the average spend was £2.65m (£0.9m net). Was it a surprise that Newcastle slipped from 14th to 19th in 2009 when their net spend was £-7.9m?

With hindsight, the Magpies might have opted to keep hold of Shay Given and Charles N'Zogbia. Likewise, Blackburn with Christopher Samba last January and Bolton with Gary Cahill in the same window.

"It's more important not to sell a key player than it is to buy one because it can take time for a replacement to settle," said agent Leon Angel from Base Soccer.

"I could see a major deal at the top end this January, but it's more likely there will be a lot of loan signings. Sound financial management is becoming increasingly important and fewer clubs are willing to gamble.

"The reward of being in the Premier League is balanced by the knowledge that three teams have to be relegated. So a loan, possibly with the option to buy, may be the most prudent approach."

Does that indicate this will be a low-key window after all?

"No," added Switzer. "We see spending being well in excess of the £60m from January 2012. It's doubtful whether it will beat the record of £225m from 2011, but we wouldn't be surprised if it was £100m or above."

January transfer spend by current PL club (since 2003)
      Club    January spend (£m)    Avg Jan spend per PL season                   Avg finish [/b]
      Chelsea            123                                           12.3                                       2.4
      Man City            109                                           18.17                                    9
      Tottenham           91                                             9.1                                      7.5
      Liverpool             81                                             8.1                                       4.7
      Aston Villa           47                                             4.7                                       10.2
      Newcastle           42                                             4.67                                     9.8
      West Ham           40                                             5.71                                    14
      Wigan                 36                                             5.14                                   14.1
      Man United          36                                             3.6                                       1.7
      Arsenal               36                                             3.6                                         3
      Fulham               20                                              2                                        11.7
      Sunderland        16                                              2.29                                   15.2
      Everton              14                                              1.4                                        7.7
      QPR                    11                                              11                                        17
      Stoke                 11                                              2.75                                   12.5
      Southampton       7                                              2.33                                   13.3
      Norwich               5                                              2.5                                       15.5
      Reading               5                                              2.5                                       13
      West Brom             4                                            0.67                                     16
      Swansea              1                                             1                                          11

Interesting reading - if you take out 2011 I make our January spend c.£23m, averaging £2.3m over 10 years and placing us 5th lowest of all listed.

Food for thought.

*I've tried to tidy up the formatting - apols I'm crap at that sort of stuff so if any kind mod fancies sorting..... ;D
      « Last Edit: Dec 31, 2012 02:33:25 pm by Scotia »
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #14: Dec 31, 2012 02:19:30 pm
      ^ Yeah that is interesting. Of course, January was when we bought Suarez and Carroll. One has been absolutely brilliant, the other ehhhhhhhhh not so much.

January is always a bigger toss-up than the summer window.
      RedWilly

• 9,141 posts | 1619 
      Reply #15: Dec 31, 2012 02:27:37 pm
      Premier League: Real Madrid's Xabi Alonso would consider Liverpool return

Xabi Alonso has admitted he could return to the Premier League as his ongoing contract talks remain clouded in uncertainty at Real Madrid.

The Spain international is under terms at the Bernabeu until the summer of 2014 but his hesitation in committing his future has led to speculation.

Liverpool are reported to want to re-sign Alonso some three-and-a-half years after selling him to Real in a £30million deal and it is not yet out of the question.

The 31-year-old is rumoured to only want a new rolling 12-month contract with Real but has been offered a two-year deal which has left him in a state of indecision.

"I've no idea what will happen," World Cup, Champions League, Primera Liga and European Championship winner Alonso told Spanish media.

"I have not decided on my future. I will only stay at Real Madrid if I can offer the same level on the pitch as I can now and we will see what happens in the next few months.

"There is always a chance I could go back to the Premier League as I always enjoyed good times there."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/8374292/Premier-League-Real-Madrid-s-Xabi-Alonso-would-consider-Liverpool-return

Oh dear god. Please lord. Make me happy and make this transfer happen!!

Has to be said though, headline doesn't match the article, nowhere does Xabi mention a return to Liverpool.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #16: Dec 31, 2012 02:31:18 pm
      So he didnt actually say that he would come back to us ?

Oh dear this is going to get messy
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #17: Dec 31, 2012 02:37:23 pm
      ^ Yeah that is interesting. Of course, January was when we bought Suarez and Carroll. One has been absolutely brilliant, the other ehhhhhhhhh not so much.

I don't so much think it's the market (although pricing gets wonky!) as the panic buys that distorts - if you get what I mean Mossy. Also worth remembering that the Manure and Arse are (with a few exceptions) inclined to abstain in this window.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #18: Dec 31, 2012 02:55:58 pm
      I don't so much think it's the market (although pricing gets wonky!) as the panic buys that distorts - if you get what I mean Mossy. Also worth remembering that the Manure and Arse are (with a few exceptions) inclined to abstain in this window.

Yeah the panic buys is what I was kind of hinting at. Carroll being a great example as no one knew how great Suarez would adapt and then the form of Kuyt playing up top under Kenny.

It's as if teams don't think straight before buying at inflated fees in January.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #19: Dec 31, 2012 03:20:54 pm

Yeah but if needs must and all that...
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #20: Dec 31, 2012 03:43:39 pm
      I must admit, I'm a bit disappointed that we don't seem to be in the hunt for Zaha :(  The lad looks a real gem of a player, and he is able to play out wide or through the middle.  He would be a great addition to our forward line. 

I'll be happy if our only business is adding Sturridge and Ince, but I'd be thrilled if we could also manage to lure Zaha to Anfield!!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #21: Dec 31, 2012 03:45:56 pm
      Xabi Alonso isn't ruling out a return to Anfield. Now that would be interesting.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #22: Dec 31, 2012 05:11:49 pm
      So he didnt actually say that he would come back to us ?

Oh dear this is going to get messy

Admittedly he didnt in the article but he did say the premier league

benitez at chelsea not sure if they ever made up, hed never go to manure, arsenal with arteta already so its man city and us as i see it with man city already having bought javi garcia.

I think wed be mad not to get alonso better than anything we have and a real statement of intent imo

Quick Reply