Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4211520 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #24886: Jun 01, 2016 10:46:23 am
      I saw some tweets last night about this, wasn't sure whether it was bollocks or not but obviously somebody is running with it.

Has FSG style low risk high potential purchase written all over it.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #24887: Jun 01, 2016 03:14:20 pm
      As good of a player and natural goal scorer as Higuain is, I don't think he'd fit into Klopp's tactical setup.  I read an article last year that his teammates were unhappy with his lack of movement and effort off the ball -- he is the type of player who wants to lurk in and around the box and wait for others to create opportunities for him.  In other words, he is a poacher type of goal scorer and not the all-action, hard working type that Jürgen wants. 

The one player we've been linked with that makes the most sense to me has been Mane.  We are crying out for a pacey, natural wide player with good output and he fits the bill.  Zielinski and Gotze both seem like alternative options to similar players we already have -- Coutinho, Firmino, and Lallana.

If I'm being honest, we could use another boss ST/CF, but as many others have suggested it will be hard to keep 4 players happy with no European football.  My solution  (ruthless as it is) would be to sell both Ings and Benteke to create room for a ST that Klopp really wants.  Who that player is I don't know, but if we had a player who could rival Studge in terms of output with Origi pushing for minutes as our 3rd choice and Firmino able to cover if necessary then I think we'd be back to scoring goals for fun.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #24888: Jun 01, 2016 03:54:08 pm
      As good of a player and natural goal scorer as Higuain is, I don't think he'd fit into Klopp's tactical setup.  I read an article last year that his teammates were unhappy with his lack of movement and effort off the ball -- he is the type of player who wants to lurk in and around the box and wait for others to create opportunities for him.  In other words, he is a poacher type of goal scorer and not the all-action, hard working type that Jürgen wants. 

The one player we've been linked with that makes the most sense to me has been Mane.  We are crying out for a pacey, natural wide player with good output and he fits the bill.  Zielinski and Gotze both seem like alternative options to similar players we already have -- Coutinho, Firmino, and Lallana.

If I'm being honest, we could use another boss ST/CF, but as many others have suggested it will be hard to keep 4 players happy with no European football.  My solution  (ruthless as it is) would be to sell both Ings and Benteke to create room for a ST that Klopp really wants.  Who that player is I don't know, but if we had a player who could rival Studge in terms of output with Origi pushing for minutes as our 3rd choice and Firmino able to cover if necessary then I think we'd be back to scoring goals for fun.

Can understand selling big Ben, seeing as just about everyone thought he'd fail here. Ings on the other hand has huge potential, just as Origi has add therefore needs some time having missed an entire season through injury.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #24889: Jun 01, 2016 04:05:42 pm
      Can understand selling big Ben, seeing as just about everyone thought he'd fail here. Ings on the other hand has huge potential, just as Origi has add therefore needs some time having missed an entire season through injury.

I think the problem is that apart from Sturridge, none of our strikers are likely to get the 20+ league goals we need from our frontline striker and Sturridge is a big doubt to stay fit for a full season.

I think we have to either adapt our style or bring in a reliable prolific striker ... and there aren't too many of those around.

The better option imo is to start getting more goals from other areas so we aren't as reliant on our main striker to supply the goals. A goal scoring attacking midfielder like Mkhitaryan and a goalscoring winger might be a better solution than a £50million striker who may not be needed if by some fluke Sturridge stays fit.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #24890: Jun 01, 2016 04:18:15 pm

Ings looks good, but I don't think he'll ever be great and I wouldn't say he has huge potential.  If we could shift both him and Benteke and bring in someone like Aubameyang, Griezman, Higuain, etc -- someone the manager sees as a perfect fit for the way he wants to play -- then I think we should do everything we can to make that happen.  This type of player along with a pacey winger with good output (Mane) would see us back amongst the goals like we were a couple seasons ago with Studge, Suarez, and Sterling. 
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #24891: Jun 01, 2016 06:19:10 pm
      We need to give ings at least one season. I think he will work well under Klopp.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #24892: Jun 01, 2016 06:30:55 pm
      We need to give ings at least one season. I think he will work well under Klopp.

Is someone taking about selling Ings??????
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #24893: Jun 01, 2016 08:19:42 pm

Maybe Ings will turn out to be a cracking little player but us reds are the worst for over-rating our own players. If you offered Danny Ings right now to City, United, Arsenal and Spurs I'd be surprised if any of them took him, maybe Spurs would take a look. I'm not for one minute advocating selling him BUT I'd be more comfortable if we had another player with similar ability level to Stduge. We're relying on him Staying fit and if he doesn't, some promising backups in Origi and Ings.

Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #24894: Jun 01, 2016 08:23:58 pm
      I think the problem is that apart from Sturridge, none of our strikers are likely to get the 20+ league goals we need from our frontline striker and Sturridge is a big doubt to stay fit for a full season.

I think we have to either adapt our style or bring in a reliable prolific striker ... and there aren't too many of those around.

The better option imo is to start getting more goals from other areas so we aren't as reliant on our main striker to supply the goals. A goal scoring attacking midfielder like Mkhitaryan and a goalscoring winger might be a better solution than a £50million striker who may not be needed if by some fluke Sturridge stays fit.

I agree, we need more goals from wide areas and centre-midfield. Firmino will get his fair share I suspect although I'd guess half of his came playing in the false 9 role but where will e others come from? Lallana doesnt score enough, Henderson is a poor finisher (notice how many of his shots are right at the keeper in the middle of the goal) and even Coutinho (despite the hot patch) does not score enough for me.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #24895: Jun 01, 2016 08:35:02 pm
      The better option imo is to start getting more goals from other areas so we aren't as reliant on our main striker to supply the goals. A goal scoring attacking midfielder like Mkhitaryan and a goalscoring winger might be a better solution
      You could be right s@int when Dortmund were on fire Gotze & Reus were described (by Franz Beckenbauer) - "as a classic duo there is nobody better than the prolific Reus and Gotze." and he knows his stuff, I've heard.  :laugh:

If Jürgen can unearth or inspire another pairing, something like that (or, for more immediate impact, that actual pairing), we would rip the Premier League a new one.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #24896: Jun 01, 2016 08:58:58 pm
      I agree, we need more goals from wide areas and centre-midfield. Firmino will get his fair share I suspect although I'd guess half of his came playing in the false 9 role but where will e others come from? Lallana doesnt score enough, Henderson is a poor finisher (notice how many of his shots are right at the keeper in the middle of the goal) and even Coutinho (despite the hot patch) does not score enough for me.

I know what you are saying buddy but I think we are being too reliant on Sturridge, we seen last season that Klopp very much likes Origi up top, he likes the way he runs at defenses and can compete with the very best, add Ings in there, he's your jack in the box type who will run into spaces and can be very prolific in front of goal, Sturridge is a class act and will very much be our no1 if he can stay clear of injuries, and that is the key, keeping Studge fit, if he can for me only Aguero is ahead of him, Benteke for me is a goner,

He just doesn't fit a Klopp type system, if he chooses to stay and fight then fine, he's going to have to adapt and I don't them he'll get enough games for him to do that, the three D's are in front of him imho already,

As for a wide attacking forward, I haven't  given up in Markovic, TPM seen something in him and he did briefly show glimpses that there is a player in there somewhere, I think TPM was to hasty in throwing him under the bus, so let's get him back here and let Jürgen work with him for a month or two, see what evolves, he can't be any worse than Ibeeeeey, considering the amount we 'spunked' on him you'd have thought he was worth more than one fu**ed up season,

Another player we seemed to have overlooked is young Gomez, this fella is way ahead of his young years, again I'd like to see Jürgen spend some time with him, until his ACL he applied himself impressively at Lwb, not his favoured position yet he took to it admirably, he prefers to play CB and although he is inexperienced there, there is certainly food for thought.

YNWA
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #24897: Jun 01, 2016 09:11:21 pm
      Do we need more goals?

In the last 19 league games we scored 41 goals, yes it coincided with Studge coming back but he didn't play every game for 90 minutes till the last few games and they were mainly the cup games.

I'm pretty sure that 82 goals scored is enough to make a challenge, it's the other end we have the problems with.  Get the goals against down to less than 40 and maintain or improve our goals for and we won't be far off.

City were highest scorers last season on 71 goals, Leicester scored 68.  The chavs scored 73 the season before.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #24898: Jun 01, 2016 09:19:42 pm
      Do we need more goals?

In the last 19 league games we scored 41 goals, yes it coincided with Studge coming back but he didn't play every game for 90 minutes till the last few games and they were mainly the cup games.

I'm pretty sure that 82 goals scored is enough to make a challenge, it's the other end we have the problems with.  Get the goals against down to less than 40 and maintain or improve our goals for and we won't be far off.

City were highest scorers last season on 71 goals, Leicester scored 68.  The chavs scored 73 the season before.

The fact that our defence loves conceding goals could suggest that we need to score more at the other end. However, by going for more goals at one end it causes more weaknesses at the other end. It's a vicious cycle. We're not going to improve by having no proper DM to protect the back four and having a full back that creates problems for his left sided centre back. Bring in a stronger defensive LB and a DM and we should be good to go.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #24899: Jun 01, 2016 09:33:05 pm
      The fact that our defence loves conceding goals could suggest that we need to score more at the other end. However, by going for more goals at one end it causes more weaknesses at the other end. It's a vicious cycle. We're not going to improve by having no proper DM to protect the back four and having a full back that creates problems for his left sided centre back. Bring in a stronger defensive LB and a DM and we should be good to go.

I don't think we'll buy either mate.

The only lb we've been linked with is Chilwell who may well be highly rated but is not going to displace Moreno this season and I believe Jürgen feels he can improve his defensive frailties enough to keep him.

We haven't been linked with any dms either, plenty of cms to play alongside Can but no dms.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #24900: Jun 01, 2016 09:43:50 pm
      We're not going to improve by having no proper DM to protect the back four and having a full back that creates problems for his left sided centre back. Bring in a stronger defensive LB and a DM and we should be good to go.
      Interesting theory buddy and it will certainly be intriguing to see which side of that debate [attack or defence] Jürgen comes down on. Another subplot to note -  you gotta love silly season.  :laugh:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #24901: Jun 01, 2016 10:41:53 pm
      I don't think we'll buy either mate.

The only lb we've been linked with is Chilwell who may well be highly rated but is not going to displace Moreno this season and I believe Jürgen feels he can improve his defensive frailties enough to keep him.

We haven't been linked with any dms either, plenty of cms to play alongside Can but no dms.

I don't think we will either. I get that Chilwell is supposed to be this highly rated youngster but what is this supposed to be based on? He played just 8 games for Huddersfield and 3 cup games for Leicester (2 of which he looked out of his depth).

Obviously he could turn into a top defender but when Moreno is your first choice it can be hard to be patient about the situation.
      I know Jürgen loves to improve players on the training ground so it really wouldn’t surprise me if this is his aim in time for the new season or even going into the following season. I’d love nothing more than to see him improve tenfold come August and make my calls for a more experienced LB than Chilwell to come in be pointless.

If we do continue to go with a CM alongside Can rather than bring in a DM then there needs to be more communication in future. So many times last season both Milner and Can wandered off to do their own thing which left 40-50 yards of space right through the middle of the pitch. They need to know that when one goes then the other stays, it’s common sense stuff that we tend to struggle with.

Interesting theory buddy and it will certainly be intriguing to see which side of that debate [attack or defence] Jürgen comes down on. Another subplot to note -  you gotta love silly season.  :laugh:

It certainly will be intriguing mate. Right now I’d say attack for the most part. Silly season drives me nuts :D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #24902: Jun 01, 2016 10:55:49 pm
      I don't think we will either. I get that Chilwell is supposed to be this highly rated youngster but what is this supposed to be based on? He played just 8 games for Huddersfield and 3 cup games for Leicester (2 of which he looked out of his depth).

Obviously he could turn into a top defender but when Moreno is your first choice it can be hard to be patient about the situation.
      I know Jürgen loves to improve players on the training ground so it really wouldn’t surprise me if this is his aim in time for the new season or even going into the following season. I’d love nothing more than to see him improve tenfold come August and make my calls for a more experienced LB than Chilwell to come in be pointless.

If we do continue to go with a CM alongside Can rather than bring in a DM then there needs to be more communication in future. So many times last season both Milner and Can wandered off to do their own thing which left 40-50 yards of space right through the middle of the pitch. They need to know that when one goes then the other stays, it’s common sense stuff that we tend to struggle with.

It certainly will be intriguing mate. Right now I’d say attack for the most part. Silly season drives me nuts :D

I'm guessing the info on Chilwell has come from Jurgens ex assistant at Huddersfield mate, although he's been highly rated at u21 level for a while.

Milner isn't really a CM though.  I know that's what he was bought for but he's much better playing in a more attacking role and out wide so he doesn't have the discipline to play there, especially in a midfield 2.  I think if we get the right cm to partner Can, one sitting, one dictating play we'll look a completely different side.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,291 posts | 237 
      Reply #24903: Jun 02, 2016 09:13:31 am
      Don't know where is other teams transfer news, so i paste here...

Fantastic signing for MCFC and only 20m....

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #24905: Jun 02, 2016 11:49:53 am

Except he's crocked.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #24906: Jun 02, 2016 12:05:00 pm

Only £20 million cos he ain't gonna be fit until after the New Year!!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #24907: Jun 02, 2016 12:08:51 pm

That's my thinking too. When fit he's a top player but that's not the case as often as he would like and when he's not playing it seems he really struggles to keep the weight off.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #24908: Jun 02, 2016 12:24:30 pm
      I wonder if Wijnaldum is worth looking into ? Goal scoring midfielder, good footballer and 25.

Quick Reply