Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4212450 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #26772: Jul 28, 2016 01:42:01 pm
      He says he has got no transfers planned but that might change over the first 3 PL games (before the window closes) depending on how the players we have perform.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #26773: Jul 28, 2016 01:43:09 pm
      I think we still need 2 players, a CM and a LB.

We need a LB for sure, and maybe Wijnaldum will play as a CM then.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #26774: Jul 28, 2016 01:48:20 pm
      I still don't get why we wouldn't go after a LB. Surely Chilwell wasn't the only option? It's OK saying "but 'x' can play there" but can they?  Some people seemed to have jumped on the 'Klavan can play there' bandwagon whilst also forgetting how well playing centre backs at full back has gone for us in recent years. He's also only played there once in the past 4 years so why are people so certain he can play there now?
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #26775: Jul 28, 2016 01:56:53 pm
      Jürgen says he has no idea if he will sign any more players this window but if he had to guess he'd say no.

I believe he's being honest but what do you  reckon; teasing journos or being open?

Edit: Found the relevant piece:

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/liverpool/story/2919036/liverpool-boss-Jürgen-klopp-unsure-if-club-will-make-more-signings

Oh please god, no... I don't care if we keep Moreno and put him as striker. But as long as he remains our main leftback, I'd never have an easy time watching us play. The lad just doesn't have the brain for it, I don't think that's something you can fix. I don't think he's good with attacking either. His crossing is sh*t, but that's quite standard for Liverpool these days I guess  :-\
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #26776: Jul 28, 2016 02:21:44 pm
      Obviously we don't really need a LB like so many people think we do.

Maybe he sees Milner as the answer at LB? Stick Henderson down for RB and we might not have solved our defensive problems but our midfield looks a lot better :)
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #26777: Jul 28, 2016 02:31:37 pm
      Oh please god, no... I don't care if we keep Moreno and put him as striker. But as long as he remains our main leftback, I'd never have an easy time watching us play. The lad just doesn't have the brain for it, I don't think that's something you can fix. I don't think he's good with attacking either. His crossing is sh*t, but that's quite standard for Liverpool these days I guess  :-\

Milner has a cross in him mate 🙂
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #26778: Jul 28, 2016 04:03:34 pm
      Milner has a cross in him mate 🙂

He played a bit at both right back and left back last night.

Klopp sounded pretty straightforward to me re signing anyone. The bit about purchases depended on if players accept his decisions, that sounded like a reference to Sakho, meaning if he shapes up, no new signings, if he doesn't, maybe another center back is required. Certainly didn't sound like he's planning to buy a left back.

I need to find something else to think about at least for a while, because in just a few minutes last night, Alberto reminded me of everything I don't like about him.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5004 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #26779: Jul 28, 2016 04:36:34 pm
      Jürgen says he has no idea if he will sign any more players this window but if he had to guess he'd say no.

I believe he's being honest but what do you  reckon; teasing journos or being open?

Edit: Found the relevant piece:

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/liverpool/story/2919036/liverpool-boss-Jürgen-klopp-unsure-if-club-will-make-more-signings

I'm of the persuasion he's being a tad economical with the truth here mouse, imagine if he had said yes we are chasing a lb because Alberto is in fact sh*t so we need to replace him,
      Not going to happen is it ?

So like all good managers of our illustrious club, we tell those nosey fuckers F**k all until we as a club have something to tell them, and this is I think what Klopp is doing also,

He's not daft, he knows Moreno is not what he would like in that position, so I'm hoping that within the next week or so we will see a new LB, somebody say like Jonas Hector would be ideal imho .

YNWA
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #26780: Jul 28, 2016 04:40:20 pm
      The only way Moreno can get into any football team's playing 11 would be as a wing back when he has adequate protection from a CDM and a 3rd CB. If Jürgen plays with 4 defenders, Moreno should not play. As simple as that!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #26781: Jul 28, 2016 05:07:27 pm
      He played a bit at both right back and left back last night.

Klopp sounded pretty straightforward to me re signing anyone. The bit about purchases depended on if players accept his decisions, that sounded like a reference to Sakho, meaning if he shapes up, no new signings, if he doesn't, maybe another center back is required. Certainly didn't sound like he's planning to buy a left back.

I need to find something else to think about at least for a while, because in just a few minutes last night, Alberto reminded me of everything I don't like about him.

Posted this in the match thread, but this is from Empire of the Kop's Jordan Chamberlain about Milner perhaps being the cover at fullback:

"With Sadio Mane signed to play out wide on the right, Milner’s chances of a spot in the attacking midfield trio look slim… With Marko Grujic arriving to compete with fit again Jordan Henderson for the role next to Emre Can in the double-pivot, Milner’s chances here don’t look great either. If Klopp goes 4-3-3 there’s a spot for him somewhere in the middle, but could the 30-year-old now move to fullback, instead?

We badly need players in both positions and his preferred positions are covered.

His lungs and fitness are unrivalled, and he can swing in a cross on his right-foot expertly. Milner is strong, sensible and physical. He has all the traits a good fullback requires, and the ability to perform just as well on the left as the right. In fact, It’d be fair to say in a big game, many would trust Milner over Moreno at left-back – which says lots about both players.

Without an obvious natural fullback signing, and no European football – Klopp may be gambling on Milner providing support in the these areas. The former Manchester City man moved to Anfield to play central midfield for Brendan Rodgers, but one year down the line, he might be used in an even less favoured position than the right-wing he toiled in Sky Blue.

Still, his professionalism means he’s unlikely to kick up a fuss. If Klopp’s adamant that Moreno doesn’t need replacing, we might just have the required upgrade right under our noses."
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #26782: Jul 28, 2016 05:20:40 pm
      Posted this in the match thread, but this is from Empire of the Kop's Jordan Chamberlain about Milner perhaps being the cover at fullback:

"With Sadio Mane signed to play out wide on the right, Milner’s chances of a spot in the attacking midfield trio look slim… With Marko Grujic arriving to compete with fit again Jordan Henderson for the role next to Emre Can in the double-pivot, Milner’s chances here don’t look great either. If Klopp goes 4-3-3 there’s a spot for him somewhere in the middle, but could the 30-year-old now move to fullback, instead?

We badly need players in both positions and his preferred positions are covered.

His lungs and fitness are unrivalled, and he can swing in a cross on his right-foot expertly. Milner is strong, sensible and physical. He has all the traits a good fullback requires, and the ability to perform just as well on the left as the right. In fact, It’d be fair to say in a big game, many would trust Milner over Moreno at left-back – which says lots about both players.

Without an obvious natural fullback signing, and no European football – Klopp may be gambling on Milner providing support in the these areas. The former Manchester City man moved to Anfield to play central midfield for Brendan Rodgers, but one year down the line, he might be used in an even less favoured position than the right-wing he toiled in Sky Blue.

Still, his professionalism means he’s unlikely to kick up a fuss. If Klopp’s adamant that Moreno doesn’t need replacing, we might just have the required upgrade right under our noses."

Maybe that's what Jürgen meant when he said it depends if players have accepted his decisions when asked about further transfers in mate.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #26783: Jul 28, 2016 07:32:34 pm
      Maybe that's what Jürgen meant when he said it depends if players have accepted his decisions when asked about further transfers in mate.

Maybe, but I thought he was referring to Mama because if he is gone, then they might need another center back. That may depend in part on how much Klopp feels he can count on Joe Gomez to get back to full fitness and good form.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,028 posts | 529 
      Reply #26784: Jul 28, 2016 07:40:51 pm
      I'd definitely rather have Milner as a LB than Moreno. He played there twice I think towards the end of last season and did pretty well. Well enough that he should've been picked there for the Uefa cup final in fact, but it wasnt to be unfortunately.

But we still need to buy a proper LB as well. We shouldnt be going into a new season keeping our fingers crossed a midfielder will work out there. Plus if he gets injured we have no cover other than Moreno ( unless Flanno is back in the frame, which he doesnt seem to be).
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #26785: Jul 28, 2016 07:41:27 pm
      Maybe, but I thought he was referring to Mama because if he is gone, then they might need another center back. That may depend in part on how much Klopp feels he can count on Joe Gomez to get back to full fitness and good form.

He's not going anywhere and Klopp's confirmed that. Nonetheless, he's a fool if we go into the season with Moreno as first choice LB and very little in the way of cover for either fullback position. An injury to either and we're relying on another unproven kid to carry us through until January or their return, which ever is sooner. It's too much of a gamble.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #26786: Jul 28, 2016 07:55:17 pm
      Any more youth products at the club who are ready to challenge for a left back role? With Brad Smith the only challenge for a very suspect Moreno, I would hope the club would be looking to bring in a replacement before authorising his sale.

Surely the plan can't be to shove Milner in there. So without buying anybody, there has to be a left back hammering the door down in the reserves... surely?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #26787: Jul 28, 2016 07:59:27 pm
      I'd definitely rather have Milner as a LB than Moreno. He played there twice I think towards the end of last season and did pretty well. Well enough that he should've been picked there for the Uefa cup final in fact, but it wasnt to be unfortunately.

But we still need to buy a proper LB as well. We shouldnt be going into a new season keeping our fingers crossed a midfielder will work out there. Plus if he gets injured we have no cover other than Moreno ( unless Flanno is back in the frame, which he doesnt seem to be).

Klavan can play there too!

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,028 posts | 529 
      Reply #26788: Jul 28, 2016 09:05:34 pm
      Didn't know that.

Maybe we have a bit more cover than I thought, but we still don't have a have a decent actual left back. Playing midfielders or central defenders there is pushing our luck a bit. Milner in particular maybe could work out there, but it would be a bit of a case of "here's hoping".
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #26789: Jul 28, 2016 09:14:50 pm
      Any more youth products at the club who are ready to challenge for a left back role? With Brad Smith the only challenge for a very suspect Moreno, I would hope the club would be looking to bring in a replacement before authorising his sale.

Surely the plan can't be to shove Milner in there. So without buying anybody, there has to be a left back hammering the door down in the reserves... surely?

Joe Maguire and Sam Hart both decent lbs but nowhere near ready mate.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #26790: Jul 28, 2016 09:34:58 pm

I doubt it as he has not played LB for about 4 years and the EPL is no place to experiment.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #26791: Jul 28, 2016 09:40:37 pm
      I doubt it as he has not played LB for about 4 years and the EPL is no place to experiment.

It's alright, we played a nipper from CB who is petrified of using his left foot there at the start of last season. Personally I can see Clyne filling in at LB on occasions and Milner to RB.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #26792: Jul 28, 2016 09:44:35 pm
      It's alright, we played a nipper from CB who is petrified of using his left foot there at the start of last season. Personally I can see Clyne filling in at LB on occasions and Milner to RB.

Seems a bit ridiculous mate that the club are awash in money but spend £15M odd on a decent left back!
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,028 posts | 529 
      Reply #26793: Jul 28, 2016 09:59:21 pm
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #26794: Jul 28, 2016 10:23:51 pm
      Sakho left back ?

Quick Reply