Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4211357 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #29440: May 21, 2017 10:55:04 am
      Jürgen Klopp is closing in on a £12million deal for Leicester’s Demarai Gray.

We reported back in March that the winger was growing frustrated at a lack of starts at the King Power Stadium.

And his situation put Merseyside rivals Liverpool and Everton on alert, as well as Tottenham.

Now Liverpool are growing increasingly confident of landing the 20-year-old and will make an offer to trigger his release clause when the transfer window opens in July.

Leicester are set to turn an £8.5m profit on Gray in just 18 months, after they triggered the £3.5m clause in his Birmingham contract.

He picked up a Premier League winners’ medal for his contribution last season but has made most of his appearances this time out from the substitutes’ bench

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-boss-Jürgen-klopp-closing-10463538

What's this lad like?

Underwhelmed at the fact he can't get into the Foxes side on a regular basis.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #29441: May 21, 2017 10:57:13 am

We reported back in March that the winger was growing frustrated at a lack of starts at the King Power Stadium.

And his situation put Merseyside rivals Liverpool and Everton on alert, as well as Tottenham.

Now Liverpool are growing increasingly confident of landing the 20-year-old and will make an offer to trigger his release clause when the transfer window opens in July.

Leicester are set to turn an £8.5m profit on Gray in just 18 months, after they triggered the £3.5m clause in his Birmingham contract.

He picked up a Premier League winners’ medal for his contribution last season but has made most of his appearances this time out from the substitutes’ bench

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-boss-Jürgen-klopp-closing-10463538

What's this lad like?

He's frustrated at a lack of starts at Leicester, sorry mate but you'll be on the bench every week at best here. He's so average.

I would however say that the Mirror aren't the most reliable. It was only the other week they were saying we had signed Robertson from Hull only for Liverpool sources to come out and say we're not interested.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #29442: May 21, 2017 10:57:57 am

What's this lad like?

He's ok, has some raw talent but nothing special about the kid.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #29443: May 21, 2017 12:49:28 pm

What's this lad like?

Think it would be a good deal..the talent is there and he has Mane to help him develop..getting him for less of what Ibe was sold for and even if he doesn't meet the expectations he can be sold back to a midtable club for around the same money in a few years.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #29444: May 21, 2017 02:21:00 pm
      Think it would be a good deal..the talent is there and he has Mane to help him develop..getting him for less of what Ibe was sold for and even if he doesn't meet the expectations he can be sold back to a midtable club for around the same money in a few years.

What's the point when we have Kent and Wilson with probably just as much talent as Gray? Even Woodburn if you want to throw him in as a wide forward, TAA could probably do a job there too.

Rather than spending 12m+ on a kid with potential when we already have in the U23's, why not just put that extra cash into an established player? I hope this is not true.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #29445: May 21, 2017 02:28:05 pm

What's this lad like?

He is no where near good enough - think of a cheaper slim line version of Ibe and you will be close to where he is
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #29446: May 21, 2017 06:47:11 pm
      He is no where near good enough - think of a cheaper slim line version of Ibe and you will be close to where he is

Don't know anything about him but this is the one description of him I didn't want to read.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #29447: May 21, 2017 06:59:17 pm
      Let's get this fookin thread cookin then!!!!!!!!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #29448: May 21, 2017 07:07:01 pm
      Let's get this fookin thread cookin then!!!!!!!!

Surely we've at least elimated the "no CL" excuse?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #29449: May 21, 2017 07:55:38 pm
      The thing with Demerai Gray which surprises me is why we didn't just buy him off of Birmingham. I saw him play two or three times for them and he was obviously going to fairly quickly outgrow the level they were at, he was one of the best players in the Championship and probably THE best youngster while he was there. Now he's gone to Leicester, barely enhanced his reputation and now we want to pay four times the original fee for him. The other slightly worrying thing from my oint of view is that like the pursuit of Chilwell previously, it doesn't "feel" to me like a Jürgen pick. When you add this into the quotes about being "long term admirers" of Salah I immediately get concerned that once again we're considering picking players for the manager rather than let him sort them out himself.

All that said Demerai Gray is a good player who will get better. I'm not sure he will be good enough for us in the long term, but he IS a good player, absolutely different class as of now to all the youngsters of our own which people are listing.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #29450: May 21, 2017 08:06:55 pm
      The thing with Demerai Gray which surprises me is why we didn't just buy him off of Birmingham. I saw him play two or three times for them and he was obviously going to fairly quickly outgrow the level they were at, he was one of the best players in the Championship and probably THE best youngster while he was there. Now he's gone to Leicester, barely enhanced his reputation and now we want to pay four times the original fee for him. The other slightly worrying thing from my oint of view is that like the pursuit of Chilwell previously, it doesn't "feel" to me like a Jürgen pick. When you add this into the quotes about being "long term admirers" of Salah I immediately get concerned that once again we're considering picking players for the manager rather than let him sort them out himself.

All that said Demerai Gray is a good player who will get better. I'm not sure he will be good enough for us in the long term, but he IS a good player, absolutely different class as of now to all the youngsters of our own which people are listing.

That's a great point about Salah.

Could it just be though that he's asked the scouts about players and Salah is a name that got mentioned and Klopp just so happens to like him?

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #29451: May 21, 2017 08:14:39 pm
      Could it just be though that he's asked the scouts about players and Salah is a name that got mentioned and Klopp just so happens to like him?

Yep.

On Gray I have to admit I've never seen him kick a ball.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #29452: May 21, 2017 08:34:55 pm
      Reus please Klopp, invite him for a new challenge..
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #29453: May 21, 2017 08:38:05 pm
      The comment Klopp made about most of the work being done sounds like it relates more to what positions he wants to strengthen, certain players he wants to leave and deciding who his targets will be. I don't think it's anything more advanced than that going off how it came across in the post match press conference.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #29454: May 21, 2017 08:52:05 pm
      Reus please Klopp, invite him for a new challenge..

Excellent player but very injury prone and we cant afford to take any more gambles on injury prone players.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #29455: May 21, 2017 09:56:55 pm
      The comment Klopp made about most of the work being done sounds like it relates more to what positions he wants to strengthen, certain players he wants to leave and deciding who his targets will be. I don't think it's anything more advanced than that going off how it came across in the post match press conference.

I took it to mean he knows WHO he wants and it's just a matter of negotiating the terms (fee and salary packet) of the transfer.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #29456: May 21, 2017 10:05:17 pm
      I took it to mean he knows WHO he wants and it's just a matter of negotiating the terms (fee and salary packet) of the transfer.

That's what I took from that.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #29457: May 21, 2017 11:24:48 pm

Pretty much what I meant mate. I saw some comments on Twitter etc. that were going on like we're just waiting to confirm the transfers.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #29458: May 22, 2017 10:52:06 am
      Excellent player but very injury prone and we cant afford to take any more gambles on injury prone players.

But, but Sturridge needs company on the med table. ;)

On a serious note, if Rues plays 25 games a season for us then he would be a good signing.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #29459: May 22, 2017 11:51:05 am
      What's the point when we have Kent and Wilson with probably just as much talent as Gray? Even Woodburn if you want to throw him in as a wide forward, TAA could probably do a job there too.

Rather than spending 12m+ on a kid with potential when we already have in the U23's, why not just put that extra cash into an established player? I hope this is not true.

Don't you think that with the state of the bench in the last months they would've got at least a sniff if Klopp would've rated them ? I'm all for buying established players but we saw that squad depth is a major issue and with additional games coming next year we need good players from the bench and I think he will be a good option to have..good with potential to be great.

Also I don't think those 12m spent on him will hurt the budget for Griezmann :)
      « Last Edit: May 22, 2017 11:59:25 am by fckmediocrity »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #29460: May 22, 2017 12:02:03 pm
      All that said Demerai Gray is a good player who will get better.

Nah he's not Mick... he's a skinny Ibe at best... another cheap punt 'who might come good in a year or two but sure, even if he doesn't, no money will be lost' - haven't we learned? I certainly hope so.

Not the signing of an ambitious top team or a team out to attract the quality that we were told comes with CL qualification and as such, the link can't be kosher... in my humble opinion obviously. 🙄

Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #29461: May 22, 2017 12:23:03 pm

Here's the full quote:

"We have already pretty much done [the work]," Klopp said. "[It's not like] tomorrow with Michael Edwards we will sit together and speak about what we think we need. Now we have to make decisions. Negotiations need to be done. All that stuff. we will see what works out or not".

So exactly that mate. We know what type of player we want and have identified targets, we just need to start making decisions on who's first choice etc. and then begin negotiations.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #29462: May 22, 2017 12:39:26 pm
      Some report linking us with griezman, let the silly season officially begin

Quick Reply