Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4201059 times
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #31280: Jul 28, 2017 09:18:00 am
      It's not cherry picking it's just I couldn't be arsed with putting down from memory all the big money transfers all the top teams have wasted money on. Of course teams that spend on elite talent seem to be winning things or have more chance but this is where we have to be smart. We have dominated City, Arsenal, Utd, Spurs and Chelsea in every game we played against them, so in my eyes it is their short comings that have to be addressed more urgently than ours, that's not to say we should not be and won't be trying to improve on the squad obviously. The race for the title was tight last season and if not for Chelsea having a tremendous run of wins it could have gone either way. I haven't looked but I think Spurs probably had the best defensive record and scored a lot of goals but still couldn't do it, it's a fine balance turning draws into wins.
      That is one way of looking at things, possibly the wrong way.

You have 5 other teams that are contending for a top 4 place, some in that, are looking to win it all come the end of the season. That is a total of 10 games in a season where the league has 38 games. Most top teams on the balance of everything will take a few wins, a few losses and a few draws in these games, but look to win games they play against the smaller teams. That is how Ferguson dominated the league (aided by his fair share of dubious decisions), it is how Conte performed last season too (and they were dominated by City even though they won). All these teams, bar maybe Spurs will be vastly better on paper for the upcoming season.

United, Chelsea, City and recently Arsenal have dominated the league and cup scene in England over the last decade. Some like City, Chelsea and United have the margin of error needed to allow them to make mistakes in the market, and to that I could say Arsenal with the large squad they have could too. But this is the beauty of it, the best teams in the world tend to make big risks in the hope that they will be in position to win it all. If you are looking at the league, that is where all these teams are headed towards. Will all their signings come off? No, I do not believe that that will be the case, not at the start anyway; but this is why you have a big squad.

Chelsea are already bulking up, and adding to their team. They had one of the smaller squads out there, and it is a realization that they need a bigger team to compete both home and in Europe.

I also understand the need to be clever, but you cannot be clever than anyone else all the time. You have to spend on quality every now and again, and have some players scouted coming into the team.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #31281: Jul 28, 2017 09:28:00 am
      That is one way of looking at things, possibly the wrong way.

You have 5 other teams that are contending for a top 4 place, some in that, are looking to win it all come the end of the season. That is a total of 10 games in a season where the league has 38 games. Most top teams on the balance of everything will take a few wins, a few losses and a few draws in these games, but look to win games they play against the smaller teams. That is how Ferguson dominated the league (aided by his fair share of dubious decisions), it is how Conte performed last season too (and they were dominated by City even though they won). All these teams, bar maybe Spurs will be vastly better on paper for the upcoming season.

United, Chelsea, City and recently Arsenal have dominated the league and cup scene in England over the last decade. Some like City, Chelsea and United have the margin of error needed to allow them to make mistakes in the market, and to that I could say Arsenal with the large squad they have could too. But this is the beauty of it, the best teams in the world tend to make big risks in the hope that they will be in position to win it all. If you are looking at the league, that is where all these teams are headed towards. Will all their signings come off? No, I do not believe that that will be the case, not at the start anyway; but this is why you have a big squad.

Chelsea are already bulking up, and adding to their team. They had one of the smaller squads out there, and it is a realization that they need a bigger team to compete both home and in Europe.

I also understand the need to be clever, but you cannot be clever than anyone else all the time. You have to spend on quality every now and again, and have some players scouted coming into the team.

You can't take on the Oil Barons and Oligarchs at they're own game even Utd will blow us away with they're financial clout.
      Yes for sure we need to spend but we can't do that every season hence why we need to be more smart on the transfers than we have with the likes of Markovic et al.

Add in Klopp wanting to develop players on the pitch then allied with the odd VVD or Keita (mind you these two would still be gambles) and we might have a chance.

grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #31282: Jul 28, 2017 10:02:45 am
      You can't take on the Oil Barons and Oligarchs at they're own game even Utd will blow us away with they're financial clout.
      Yes for sure we need to spend but we can't do that every season hence why we need to be more smart on the transfers than we have with the likes of Markovic et al.

Add in Klopp wanting to develop players on the pitch then allied with the odd VVD or Keita (mind you these two would still be gambles) and we might have a chance.
      1) Antonio Conte said something yesterday, or was it the day before

“Every team has to understand what their ambitions are. If their ambitions are to fight for the title or try to win the Champions League, you must buy expensive players. Otherwise you continue to stay in your level. It’s simple.”

“My question is this: what are Tottenham’s expectations? If they don’t win the title, it’s not a tragedy. If they don’t arrive in the Champions League, it’s not a tragedy,”

“If they go out in the first round of the Champions League it’s not a tragedy. If they go out after the first game that they play in the Europa League and go down against Gent, it is not a tragedy.

“Maybe for Chelsea, Arsenal, City, United and - I don’t know - Liverpool, it is a tragedy. You must understand this.

“For us, if it is not a tragedy you can keep calm and then face the Champions League and try to do our best as we always do. But you must understand the status of the team.
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/07/26/harry-kane-dream-striker-says-antonio-conte/

In short, big teams spend not because they like to throw money and end up with poor buys some of the time, they spend because they see a need to get better.

2) Each and every team develops players.

Bailly, Lindelof, Andrea Pereira, Martial , Rashford, Lukaku, Shaw, Pogba.
      Bellerin, Martinez, Holding, Kolasinac, Mustafi, Iwobi Chamberlain, Xhaka.
      Ederson, Mendy, Stones, Sane, Sterling, Bernardo Silva, Gabriel Jesus.
      Courtois, Rudiger, Bakayoko, Morata, Batshuayi.

All these are players aged 25 or younger in the other teams, players that still have time to develop before they hit their peak at around 28-31. This is not something that has stopped these teams from INVESTING.

Some of those investments will work out, some will not as is the nature with some of these things, but the investment is to try and make these teams better while depending on younger players to up their game. Regardless of what Klopp says, that is the reality.

The only question you have to ask is what are the ambitions of this team? Are people higher up OK with simply making the occasional top 4 appearance, or is there a shift to building a team that can compete at home and in Europe?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #31283: Jul 28, 2017 10:08:42 am
      1) Antonio Conte said something yesterday, or was it the day before
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/07/26/harry-kane-dream-striker-says-antonio-conte/

In short, big teams spend not because they like to throw money and end up with poor buys some of the time, they spend because they see a need to get better.

2) Each and every team develops players.

Bailly, Lindelof, Andrea Pereira, Martial , Rashford, Lukaku, Shaw, Pogba.
      Bellerin, Martinez, Holding, Kolasinac, Mustafi, Iwobi Chamberlain, Xhaka.
      Ederson, Mendy, Stones, Sane, Sterling, Bernardo Silva, Gabriel Jesus.
      Courtois, Rudiger, Bakayoko, Morata, Batshuayi.

All these are players aged 25 or younger in the other teams, players that still have time to develop before they hit their peak at around 28-31. This is not something that has stopped these teams from INVESTING.

Some of those investments will work out, some will not as is the nature with some of these things, but the investment is to try and make these teams better while depending on younger players to up their game. Regardless of what Klopp says, that is the reality.

The only question you have to ask is what are the ambitions of this team? Are people higher up OK with simply making the occasional top 4 appearance, or is there a shift to building a team that can compete at home and in Europe?

Why don't you write one sentence with what you mean rather than a thesis on nothing in particular  :lmao:

Simply Teams will invest what they can afford. We don't have an endless pit of money.

It's no surprise City and Chavs "ambitions" to win have changed since exactly when? Why did they not want to compete previously in they're illustrious history!

grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #31284: Jul 28, 2017 10:15:10 am
      Why don't you write one sentence with what you mean rather than a thesis on nothing in particular  :lmao:

Simply Teams will invest what they can afford. We don't have an endless pit of money.

It's no surprise City and Chavs "ambitions" to win have changed since exactly when? Why did they not want to compete previously in they're illustrious history!
      A body adds context, and its stops some from taking something one said the wrong way or applying an imagination to it. More in this case is not always less.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #31285: Jul 28, 2017 10:41:35 am
      A body adds context, and its stops some from taking something one said the wrong way or applying an imagination to it. More in this case is not always less.

You need to be very careful with that around here.  ;)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #31286: Jul 28, 2017 10:53:07 am
      You need to be very careful with that around here.  ;)

I shouldn't worry too much about people taking things out of context. Quite a few on here don't bother with that sort of thing, they just blatantly make random stuff up. Before you know where you are you'll be accused of saying that unless we sign Lionel Messi we'll be relegated.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #31287: Jul 28, 2017 12:47:46 pm
      Sanchez has called in sick a clear sign he wants out.
      Just give them £40,000.001 and go all out attack as it looking more like keita is not going to happen.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,232 posts | 6359 
      Reply #31288: Jul 28, 2017 02:32:04 pm
      I know, I'm supposed to be all optimistic and trust Jürgen and all that.....but is anyone else starting to feel like it's not really a priority to upgrade our starting 11 at this point?

I mean VVD and Keita can't be the only two players we could spend 150m on that would upgrade our starting 11?
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,141 posts | 1084 
      Reply #31289: Jul 28, 2017 02:46:07 pm
      I know, I'm supposed to be all optimistic and trust Jürgen and all that.....but is anyone else starting to feel like it's not really a priority to upgrade our starting 11 at this point?

I mean VVD and Keita can't be the only two players we could spend 150m on that would upgrade our starting 11?

Getting Salah and moving Phillip back improved it. 1 move with two benefits.  I do think we get VVD, and if it happens u talk about us going from a mediocre CB and a big weakness to a top EPL CB and a major upgrade. I also think Robertson will be an upgrade over Milner. Trust the process baby. The Klopp will come through!
      « Last Edit: Jul 28, 2017 03:10:03 pm by Breeding-Reds-In-The-434 »
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #31290: Jul 28, 2017 02:56:59 pm

I've deliberately stayed out of the discussions so far, though I've read a fair bit. I'm sure we'll strengthen significantly from here, even if we don't get our main targets. Jürgen admitted he'd made a big mistake last season, I can't see him doing the same thing again.

Needless to say, if we don't strengthen significantly I personally think it would be a huge error. Those who think we can challenge with what we've got (all season, not just until Christmas) are IMHO living in cloud cuckoo land.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,232 posts | 6359 
      Reply #31291: Jul 28, 2017 03:12:42 pm
      Getting Salah and moving Phillip back improved it. 1 move with two benefits.  I do think we get VVD, and if it happens u talk about us going from a mediocre CB and a big weakness to a top EPL CB and a major upgrade. I also think Robertson will be an upgrade over Milner. Trust the process baby. The Klopp will come through!

What process?

We didn't strengthen in January and you  see what happened...now here we are staring at a Champion's League (hopefully) football schedule with basically almost the same squad as last year. More games, more pressure, and basically we've upgraded by buying one attacking player, one of the future (Solanke) and one for the possibly future, possibly now who is unprove (Robertson). Call me crazy but I'm not convinced that Klopp wields enough magical influence to make our players not get tired, not get injured and not get burnt out with the tougher schedule.

Why are we not strengthening when Klopp himself admitted that January was an oversight and that we needed to add quality this summer?
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,141 posts | 1084 
      Reply #31292: Jul 28, 2017 03:34:27 pm
      What process?

We didn't strengthen in January and you  see what happened...now here we are staring at a Champion's League (hopefully) football schedule with basically almost the same squad as last year. More games, more pressure, and basically we've upgraded by buying one attacking player, one of the future (Solanke) and one for the possibly future, possibly now who is unprove (Robertson). Call me crazy but I'm not convinced that Klopp wields enough magical influence to make our players not get tired, not get injured and not get burnt out with the tougher schedule.

Why are we not strengthening when Klopp himself admitted that January was an oversight and that we needed to add quality this summer?

Jus my point, Klopp said we made a mistake not adding talent to the 11 and he would adress this in the current window. We have already addressed it to an extent with Salah and the ramifications of the move (Couthinho to MF). I will concede the Robertson point, it is a big step up from Hull. But we still have a month to get these deals over the hump. All I'm saying is let's wait and criticize if we DONT get the moves done. I think Keita isn't going to happen, but we will probably see a plan B in that department. Who? I have no clue. But there is no plan B from what I gather on VVD, and because of that I see us getting him in here. Trust the process..... that we don't know is going on but I think is????? Haha. Let it play out mate. Good post
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #31293: Jul 28, 2017 03:38:39 pm

We will.  Have some patience 😎
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,232 posts | 6359 
      Reply #31294: Jul 28, 2017 03:40:57 pm
      We will.  Have some patience 😎

I don't have any patience...any other advice? ;D
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #31295: Jul 28, 2017 03:44:20 pm
      I don't have any patience...any other advice? ;D

Have a toke.  Patience will find you 😉
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,232 posts | 6359 
      Reply #31296: Jul 28, 2017 03:52:49 pm
      Have a toke.  Patience will find you 😉

Those days are long gone my friend. Long gone :)
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #31297: Jul 28, 2017 03:57:26 pm
      Crespo
      Zhirkov
      Veron
      Falcao
      Shevchenko
      Mutu
      Torres.

So, for me our rivals can buy who and how many they like but it doesn't guarantee f*ck all.
      And yet they have been champions MULTIPLE  times in recent years. Hmm...

If it's not the "who" or the "how many", why do you think that is Al: why have they won so many titles recently when we haven't? 🤔

Adam
      Coates
      Borini
      Assaidi
      Marković
      Lambert
      Yesil
      Alberto
      Balotelli... and all the other signings who have helped us win sweet F**k all maybe?

Revelling in buying cheaper failures, than our rivals, [the reigning champions]  is a tad weird in my opinion. 😕
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #31298: Jul 28, 2017 04:00:09 pm
      Those days are long gone my friend. Long gone :)

Beer?  Yoga?  w*nk?

Plenty of alternative remedies  :lmao:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #31299: Jul 28, 2017 04:09:27 pm
      And yet they have been champions MULTIPLE  times in recent years. Hmm...

If it's not the "who" or the "how many", why do you think that is Al: why have they won so many titles recently when we haven't? 🤔

Adam
      Coates
      Borini
      Assaidi
      Marković
      Lambert
      Yesil
      Alberto
      Balotelli... and all the other signings who have helped us win sweet f**k all maybe?

Revelling in buying cheaper failures, than our rivals, [the reigning champions]  is a tad weird in my opinion. 😕

Guess to be picky you could argue Adam helped us to win the League Cup. That said, he was utter sh*te for us and even messed up his penalty in that shoot out.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #31300: Jul 28, 2017 04:25:06 pm
      Guess to be picky you could argue Adam helped us to win the League Cup.
      I guess you could if you hadn't realised I was talking about 'championships' 7kk7.

Sorry if that wasn't clear mate. 😊
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #31301: Jul 28, 2017 04:30:14 pm
      Beer?  Yoga?  w*nk?

Plenty of alternative remedies  :lmao:

You have seen my new fitness dvd which is out next week !  Beer, yoga, w*nk , it will knock years off your life
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #31302: Jul 28, 2017 04:32:01 pm
      Guess to be picky you could argue Adam helped us to win the League Cup. That said, he was utter sh*te for us and even messed up his penalty in that shoot out.

I'll never forget his performance (and that of the whole team for that matter) in a 1-0 defeat to f**king Sunderland around March 2012. Watched it with about 10 or so Liverpool supporters in a bar and by the end of the match the anger in the small room we were in was palpable with a lot of the energy directed towards Adam's atrocious performance in the midfield that day. It was f**king grim and probably one of the worst 90 minutes of football I've had to sit through with Liverpool.

Quick Reply