Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4214903 times
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #34983: May 08, 2018 03:50:28 pm
      The Fekir addition would be exquisite. Great depth to have for the attacking midfielder and forward positions. Would be a great get.
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #34984: May 08, 2018 03:51:44 pm
      If we don't go for any holding midfielder type, I think Wijnaldum would be something of a revelation as our deepest midfielder, especially if he has Keita or Ox next to him. The composure when in tight areas or being pressed is rather exceptional, but his short ball distribution is very good too. He is definitely someone who can really help control that midfield and manage the game and keep things composed.

As much as I love Jorginho, I am starting to warm to the idea of Wijnaldum as our deepest midfielder going forward, especially along side Keita or Ox. So perhaps a #6 is not really needed?

I agree with this. I would not be surprised if this is Klopp's idea starting next season. Gini is quite capable back there.
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #34985: May 08, 2018 03:52:32 pm
      I don't think Wilson is going to be anywhere near the first team. I think Klopp has the evidence now for the owners that we need a couple more quality (see VVD and Keita) additions to this squad to make us the top club in the world. That's what we should be aiming for at this  point. Yes we need to develop our own talent, but at the end of the day,  it's easier to do as a luxury because we are winning everything vs out of necessity because we have a threadbare squad.

I have no idea what the owners have to do with this. Since he's been here JĆ¼rgen decides who he wants to buy, not anyone else.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,868 posts | 165 
      Reply #34986: May 08, 2018 03:53:18 pm
      With the chance of being shot down, I'd quite like David Luiz.
      Kopite78
      Reply #34987: May 08, 2018 03:57:12 pm
      I have no idea what the owners have to do with this. Since he's been here JĆ¼rgen decides who he wants to buy, not anyone else.

They sign the cheques though

What FL means is that JĆ¼rgen has a burden of proof behind him to say give me what I want even of its a bit more than you would ideally want to pay

With the chance of being shot down,

Just talk sense then 👍

Ah sh*t... so close

🤦ā€ā™‚ļø
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,976 posts | 3059 
      Reply #34988: May 08, 2018 04:04:53 pm
      With the chance of being shot down, I'd quite like David Luiz.

Q. What goes quack quack?

If I was looking for a mop in human form heā€™d be my go to too........

A. Duck

Timing......the secret of great comedy.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018 04:09:50 pm by Scotia »
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #34989: May 08, 2018 04:07:59 pm
      They sign the cheques though

What FL means is that JĆ¼rgen has a burden of proof behind him to say give me what I want even of its a bit more than you would ideally want to pay

but that assumes at any point they have told JĆ¼rgen to show proof of why they should spend what they did on a player, and nowhere since Klopp arrived have i read / heard of that being the case. He is on record saying he has all the money available to him that he needs. We had no problem getting the most expensive defender in the history of the game.
      Kopite78
      Reply #34990: May 08, 2018 04:19:15 pm
      but that assumes at any point they have told JĆ¼rgen to show proof of why they should spend what they did on a player, and nowhere since Klopp arrived have i read / heard of that being the case. He is on record saying he has all the money available to him that he needs. We had no problem getting the most expensive defender in the history of the game.

The manager refused to compromise on him.

We know we live within a budget.. we don't have bottomless pits of money.. it's not assuming anything. We can't and haven't gone and spent what the likes of city do without recouping a vast majority of that. The evidence is there by our net spend under fsg

We are steering off the point somewhat.. FL was saying we need a couple of top quality  additions to the squad to challenge

Klopp will want 2 or 3 of real quality rather than 6 or 7 fillers

CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #34991: May 08, 2018 04:28:25 pm
      The manager refused to compromise on him.

We know we live within a budget.. we don't have bottomless pits of money.. it's not assuming anything. We can't and haven't gone and spent what the likes of city do without recouping a vast majority of that. The evidence is there by our net spend under fsg

We are steering off the point somewhat.. FL was saying we need a couple of top quality  additions to the squad to challenge

Klopp will want 2 or 3 of real quality rather than 6 or 7 fillers

Agree, and Klopp will get who he wants and deems a good fit for this team and nothing to do with the owners.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #34992: May 08, 2018 04:45:52 pm

Agree, and Klopp will get who he wants and deems a good fit for this team and nothing to do with the owners.

Seeing as itā€™s their money, Iā€™d say they have a lot to do with this. Itā€™s irrelevant who Klopp decides he wants to buy and whether heā€™s the one who makes the decisions on players because ultimately he still has to convince the owners to pay the money. He may well want Fekir, Neves, Messi or even Titus Bramble, but if the owners donā€™t feel itā€™s worth the investment, then they wonā€™t sanction the deal.
      « Last Edit: May 08, 2018 04:53:44 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #34993: May 08, 2018 04:54:17 pm

What a F***ing world class player.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #34994: May 08, 2018 05:45:03 pm

So does our team work differently than any other team in which the ownership has the ultimate say in expenditures? I was unaware that we operated differently :D
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #34995: May 08, 2018 06:10:59 pm

Seeing as itā€™s their money, Iā€™d say they have a lot to do with this. Itā€™s irrelevant who Klopp decides he wants to buy and whether heā€™s the one who makes the decisions on players because ultimately he still has to convince the owners to pay the money. He may well want Fekir, Neves, Messi or even Titus Bramble, but if the owners donā€™t feel itā€™s worth the investment, then they wonā€™t sanction the deal.

This idea that Klopp must pitch to them why they should spend X on a player i think is hugely overblown. JĆ¼rgen is on record saying ā€œAlways since Iā€™m in here we can have all the monies from transfers and more if needed. Since Iā€™ve been in nobody told me ā€˜no wayā€™. We talk about the age, the price, everything. Itā€™s all good."

So yes, i am sure there are some discussions, but do we really think that the owners, who are not football people to begin with, are going to get into detail conversations with Klopp as to why it's worth paying 60M for Fekir (or whatever it's being thrown around)?

They had no problem breaking the club record (at the time) for Salah then shattering it for Van Dijk. Did Klopp show up at Fenway in a suit and a powerpoint deck to show Henry evidence of why he needed to approve those purchases? maybe, but i am much more likely to believe that JĆ¼rgen knows what he has to play with and goes and gets what he needs within those parameters.It allows us to act faster in a competitive transfer market.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #34996: May 08, 2018 06:13:32 pm
      Dembele and Fekir?

Oh, go on then...
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #34997: May 08, 2018 06:15:29 pm
      This idea that Klopp must pitch to them why they should spend X on a player i think is hugely overblown. JĆ¼rgen is on record saying ā€œAlways since Iā€™m in here we can have all the monies from transfers and more if needed. Since Iā€™ve been in nobody told me ā€˜no wayā€™. We talk about the age, the price, everything. Itā€™s all good."

So yes, i am sure there are some discussions, but do we really think that the owners, who are not football people to begin with, are going to get into detail conversations with Klopp as to why it's worth paying 60M for Fekir (or whatever it's being thrown around)?

They had no problem breaking the club record (at the time) for Salah then shattering it for Van Dijk. Did Klopp show up at Fenway in a suit and a powerpoint deck to show Henry evidence of why he needed to approve those purchases? maybe, but i am much more likely to believe that JĆ¼rgen knows what he has to play with and goes and gets what he needs within those parameters.It allows us to act faster in a competitive transfer market.

So what youā€™re recognising is that it does actually have something to do with the owners and you donā€™t actually have a clue, like the rest of us, exactly who and what is involved with transfers.
      Itā€™s not small amounts of money involved within the transfer market, we are talking tens of millions for players, sometimes even best part of Ā£100mill now, before their contracts and agent fees have even come into the equation, do you really think the owners will just happily stand by and say ā€œnope, itā€™s got nothing to do with usā€. No chance, their businessmen, not idiots.
      « Last Edit: May 08, 2018 06:19:45 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #34998: May 08, 2018 06:29:45 pm
      So what youā€™re recognising is that it does actually have something to do with the owners and you donā€™t actually have a clue, like the rest of us, exactly who and what is involved with transfers.
      Itā€™s not small amounts of money involved within the transfer market, we are talking tens of millions for players, sometimes even best part of Ā£100mill now, before their contracts and agent fees have even come into the equation, do you really think the owners will just happily stand by and say ā€œnope, itā€™s got nothing to do with usā€. No chance, their businessmen, not idiots.

They are the owners, so yes, they will have some level of involvement as they should, but my original comment originated from this idea that Klopp needs to provide them with evidence as to why we need quality (ie. expensive) players, which i think is absurd.

If we sign Fekir i will attribute it 100% to Klopp and his staff, and not the owners who probably just recently found out he existed. Sure, they could have said "no, i don't approve the purchase", but from what i have seen in our transfers under Klopp and from his own words, i think he has a lot more autonomy than people think. IMO, people go too far in how much they think the owners meddle in the operations of the club.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,976 posts | 3059 
      Reply #34999: May 08, 2018 06:35:01 pm
      Dembele and Fekir?

Oh, go on then...

Donā€™t fancy yours much......

*oh wait, barca dembele u say......hold on a minute
      Kopite78
      Reply #35000: May 08, 2018 06:37:17 pm
      They are the owners, so yes, they will have some level of involvement as they should, but my original comment originated from this idea that Klopp needs to provide them with evidence as to why we need quality (ie. expensive) players, which i think is absurd.

If we sign Fekir i will attribute it 100% to Klopp and his staff, and not the owners who probably just recently found out he existed. Sure, they could have said "no, i don't approve the purchase", but from what i have seen in our transfers under Klopp and from his own words, i think he has a lot more autonomy than people think. IMO, people go too far in how much they think the owners meddle in the operations of the club.

It's utterly naive to think they don't get involved (or their representative on the ground ) in budgets and player spend

It's also naive to believe that Klopp would be telling the press everything and not just a watered down version of events regarding conversations with the owners on anything

In a press conference what's his best ploy?

Yep the owners are great they give me what I need, I've never been told no

Journalist has no further questions from that to probe for headlines

Or

Well I work in a budget, some players I can't get because of financial restrictions (that most clubs have) but I'm fine with the owners yeah

Journalists licking their lips with follow up questions

So you have restrictions ?

Will that hold you back ultimately?

Do you see a time it becomes an issue?

Etc etc etc

Best to kill that line of questions from journalists from the earliest possible point like JĆ¼rgen has done

Does that mean he's not happy? Of course Not, I'm sure that was laid out to him from day one of conversations
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #35001: May 08, 2018 07:12:21 pm
      It's utterly naive to think they don't get involved (or their representative on the ground ) in budgets and player spend

Again, they will have some level of involvement, but my point is that it's nowhere near to the level some suggest.

Since JĆ¼rgen's arrival i have seen us be quick, stealthy and decisive in our transfers and that is why i think we have been able to get players like Van Dijk where there was heavy competition for his services. If we had to justify to the owners every purchase i don't think this would be the case.

JĆ¼rgen has also said from day 1 that he has the first and last word on a transfer, as well as referencing that the owners are completely on his side. You may take the cynical route and say JĆ¼rgen is just playing the crowd with his words, but do you think a world-class manager like Klopp would put up with an ownership group that didn't back him 100%? And everything we have seen and heard is that they do.

Again, i don't believe FSG are absent owners when it comes to budgets and player spend, it would be stupid on their part, but at the same time there is a hierarchy under them in Moore and Edwards, and i am of the opinion we are a very well run organization at the moment where from the ownership, through Moore/Edwards to Klopp the team is in sync on what our budget and spending power is and this is why we are able to be as good as we are in our transfers.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #35002: May 08, 2018 07:13:41 pm
      Again, they will have some level of involvement, but my point is that it's nowhere near to the level some suggest.

Here is your budget for the year...spend it as you want.

If for some reason you need to spend more then a discussion needs to take place.

That's about the extent of it.
      Kopite78
      Reply #35003: May 08, 2018 07:35:21 pm
      Here is your budget for the year...spend it as you want.

If for some reason you need to spend more then a discussion needs to take place.

That's about the extent of it.

That is about the extent yeah and I'm sure JĆ¼rgen is absolutely fine with it all

But it's within restrictions of budget

Say he ideally wants 4 players but his budget doesn't allow that then I'd imagine he has to swallow it or try to raise funds by selling

It's not unlimited, he has to compromise somewhere along the line if his budget is used

But I'm sure he's perfectly comfortable with that.

I think he's signed 11 players since he's been here? (13 if you include Manninger on the free and Caulker loan) over 5 Windows?  That's not alot over 5 Windows.. which tells you he compromises numbers for quality ( I'm happy with that) but it will take longer to get the quality in depth than we'd may be like
      We have to show patience over that, the weakness in the depth of squad say right now is a consequence of patience.. but prioritising quality over numbers is showing in our obvious improvement on the pitch

A couple more good windows and we could be set to really challenge

That's restrictions but restrictions JĆ¼rgen is perfectly happy with and more likely than not suit his vision on how things should be run

The likelihood this summer is I'd expect 3 quality signings, possibly 4.. no more though
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #35004: May 08, 2018 07:39:35 pm
      That is about the extent yeah and I'm sure JĆ¼rgen is absolutely fine with it all

But it's within restrictions of budget

Say he ideally wants 4 players but his budget doesn't allow that then I'd imagine he has to swallow it or try to raise funds by selling

It's not unlimited, he has to compromise somewhere along the line if his budget is used

But I'm sure he's perfectly comfortable with that.

I think he's signed 11 players since he's been here? (13 if you include Manninger on the free and Caulker loan) over 5 Windows?  That's not alot over 5 Windows.. which tells you he compromises numbers for quality ( I'm happy with that) but it will take longer to get the quality in depth than we'd may be like
      We have to show patience over that, the weakness in the depth of squad say right now is a consequence of patience.. but prioritising quality over numbers is showing in our obvious improvement on the pitch

A couple more good windows and we could be set to really challenge

That's restrictions but restrictions JĆ¼rgen is perfectly happy with and more likely than not suit his vision on how things should be run

The likelihood this summer is I'd expect 3 quality signings, possibly 4.. no more though

Agree on the 3-4...quality over quanitiy...and honestly if we had real quality 16/17 deep in the side I don't mind having a Solanke and a Woodburn sprinkled in.

Quite honestly the way the manager plays and what he want's his team to do technically you can't be bringing in 5 starters...we saw it with Ox and with Robertson...serious bedding in needed.
      « Last Edit: May 08, 2018 08:01:17 pm by AZPatriot »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,976 posts | 3059 
      Reply #35005: May 08, 2018 07:56:28 pm

It's also naive to believe that Klopp would be telling the press everything and not just a watered down version of events regarding conversations with the owners on anything

In a press conference what's his best ploy?

Yep the owners are great they give me what I need, I've never been told no

Journalist has no further questions from that to probe for headlines

Or

Well I work in a budget, some players I can't get because of financial restrictions (that most clubs have) but I'm fine with the owners yeah

Journalists licking their lips with follow up questions

So you have restrictions ?

Will that hold you back ultimately?

Do you see a time it becomes an issue?

Etc etc etc

Best to kill that line of questions from journalists from the earliest possible point like JĆ¼rgen has done

Does that mean he's not happy? Of course Not, I'm sure that was laid out to him from day one of conversations

This much I know........

When a manager starts speaking to the board through the press he may not have left yet.........but heā€™s through passport control and gorging the duty free.......

Whether he realises it or not.
      « Last Edit: May 08, 2018 10:08:55 pm by Scotia »

Quick Reply