Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4212067 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #35811: Jun 19, 2018 11:22:54 am
      Wow Rui Patricio on a free to Wolves, I reckon he could have done a job for us.

He sure could!

It's difficult to take the "it's not easy to improve on what we have" (Lorius and Mignolet) when keepers like Diego Alves and Rui Patrício are moving on free transfers...
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #35812: Jun 19, 2018 11:38:02 am
      If the Nick Pope link is true it shows just how little credence Jürgen gives the Goalkeeping position and is exactly what I was saying in the Karius thread. I'd rather have Karius than Pope because he is, whether people like it or not, one of the best goalkeepers in the Premier League and the only way we should be looking to replace him is if a World Class upgrade with a wealth of European experience can be found.

As for Bernd Leno, he's just signed with Arsenal so that's not happening. Not that I think he represented an upgrade either.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,028 posts | 529 
      Reply #35813: Jun 19, 2018 11:46:19 am
      I like what I've seen of Pope. Seems a good shot stopper - long reach, strong hands, good reflexes. Seems to come and claim high balls well too. Not sure what his distribution is like? His stats are very impressive - 114 saves he made last year, with 0 errors leading to goals. Considering the amount of action he sees at Burnley, that is quite something not to have cost your team a single goal -

https://www.premierleague.com/players/10079/Nick-Pope/stats

I agree Allison is way over-priced. Courtois would probably be my first choice ( or Oblak of course), but they seem unlikely and Pope looks a lot better than Karius to me.
      « Last Edit: Jun 19, 2018 11:55:14 am by sore monad »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #35814: Jun 19, 2018 12:10:54 pm
      If the Nick Pope link is true it shows just how little credence Jürgen gives the Goalkeeping position and is exactly what I was saying in the Karius thread. I'd rather have Karius than Pope because he is, whether people like it or not, one of the best goalkeepers in the Premier League and the only way we should be looking to replace him is if a World Class upgrade with a wealth of European experience can be found.

As for Bernd Leno, he's just signed with Arsenal so that's not happening. Not that I think he represented an upgrade either.

So where would you rank Karius in the list of Prem goalkeepers then, just out of interest? From my point of view he'd be in the bottom half. He is an ok keeper but we need an exceptional keeper, especially the way that we play where any goalkeeper will come under increased pressure.
      Kopite78
      Reply #35815: Jun 19, 2018 12:14:02 pm
      So where would you rank Karius in the list of Prem goalkeepers then, just out of interest? From my point of view he'd be in the bottom half. He is an ok keeper but we need an exceptional keeper, especially the way that we play where any goalkeeper will come under increased pressure.

Could you list them please? 1-20 including the 3 relegated teams last season in your order?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #35816: Jun 19, 2018 01:24:53 pm

That’s what makes me think Klopp is happy with Karius as his keeper. Surely after what happened if he wanted a new keeper we should have been after a free transfer.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #35817: Jun 19, 2018 01:27:56 pm
      That’s what makes me think Klopp is happy with Karius as his keeper. Surely after what happened if he wanted a new keeper we should have been after a free transfer.

I remember hearing when Jürgen came here, can't recall where, that he isn't overly bothered about the goal keeper position and I agree that he's most likely to go with Karius.

I still think we'll buy a keeper but as replacement for Mignolet.

GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #35818: Jun 19, 2018 02:09:56 pm
      A rushed attempt at THE KARIUS SCALE. Obviously we all have vastly differing opinions on not only what makes a good goal keeper, but what we need from a keeper.

PL 17/18 GKs definitely more reliable than Karius (5):
      De Gea, Ederson, Courtois, Pickford, Pope.

PL 17/18 GKs confidently more reliable than Karius (3):
      Ryan, Schmeichel, Dubravka.

PL 17/18 GKs I think could've done a better job for us than Karius last year (5):
      Butland, Lloris, Fabianski, Hennessey, Foster.

That's 13 already. Could I beat the drum convincingly for Karius to say that he at least did better for us than Lossl, Begovic, Adrian, McCarthy, and Cech would have? I don't know. Like Karius, they had plenty of shaky moments. Would I swap any of them for Karius? Probably not, but if I had them, I wouldn't buy Karius to replace them either.

Who else does that leave that played many games? Forster? Gomes? Hart? Elliot? Darlow? They were poor. Speroni? Ancient, but did fine filling in. Karnezis? Stats don't seem great, but can't recall much of his play this year to really judge.

So out of the 27 keepers who played 10+ games this year, I'd consider Karius somewhere in the middle of the pack at the moment. Is he talented enough to make that top 8? Sure. But then so is, say, Karl Darlow. But like Darlow, Karius is likely to also frustrate us as much as wow, and that's not good enough for Newcastle, so it shouldn't be good enough for us either.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #35819: Jun 19, 2018 02:12:51 pm
      A rushed attempt at THE KARIUS SCALE. Obviously we all have vastly differing opinions on not only what makes a good goal keeper, but what we need from a keeper.

PL 17/18 GKs I think could've done a better job for us than Karius last year (5):

That's 13 already. Could I beat the drum convincingly for Karius to say that he at least did better for us than Lossl, Begovic, Adrian, McCarthy, and Cech would have? I don't know. Like Karius, they had plenty of shaky moments. Would I swap any of them for Karius? Probably not, but if I had them, I wouldn't buy Karius to replace them either.

Who else does that leave that played many games? Forster? Gomes? Hart? Elliot? Darlow? They were poor. Speroni? Ancient, but did fine filling in. Karnezis? Stats don't seem great, but can't recall much of his play this year to really judge.

So out of the 27 keepers who played 10+ games this year, I'd consider Karius somewhere in the middle of the pack at the moment. Is he talented enough to make that top 8? Sure. But then so is, say, Karl Darlow. But like Darlow, Karius is likely to also frustrate us as much as wow, and that's not good enough for Newcastle, so it shouldn't be good enough for us either.

You're taking the piss. No other explanation for you putting the likes of Butland, Hennessey, Schmeichel, Pickford, Pope and Foster up there. Unbelievable. I'd also love to see how many points Lloris cost Spurs last season. He was sh*te.

Ryan had a very good season, I'd agree with that. I'd also put De Gea, Courtois and Ederson ahead of Karius, but the first two play entirely different styles of football for their respective teams and wouldn't have to make anywhere near the number of saves for us as they do for their teams. Accept it, shot stopping isn't the #1 requirement for a goalkeeper in our system. Had it been, we'd have a completely different type of goalkeeper in goal.
      « Last Edit: Jun 19, 2018 02:17:57 pm by Danzel »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #35820: Jun 19, 2018 02:15:23 pm
      I'm not against getting in a hot young prospect but what we need now and have needed for many many years is the finished article and I'm starting to think that Courtois ticks all the boxes, I'd be more than happy if we spent £50m on him but since he is the final year we could hopefully push the fee down. He is a superb goalkeeper who seems disenchanted at Chelsea, under Klopp I think you'd see him back at his very best again.

Said that for a while about Courtois, really good keeper, disenchanted at Chelsea because he'd prefer a move back to Spain to be closer to his kids.

I doubt Chelsea would be wanting to get rid of him to another Premier League club.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #35821: Jun 19, 2018 02:16:26 pm

It's all subjective but I would only put De Gea, Curtouis, Ederson and possibly Lloris as noticeably better than Karius.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #35822: Jun 19, 2018 02:16:49 pm
      You're taking the piss. No other explanation for you putting the likes of Butland, Hennessey, Schmeichel, Pickford, Pope and Foster up there. Unbelievable. I'd also love to see how many points Lloris cost Spurs last season. He was sh*te.

So do you think Karius is a better goalkeeper than Schmeichel and Lloris?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #35823: Jun 19, 2018 02:17:38 pm

Yeah but isn't Pedro Mendes involved in someway at Wolves, hence why they've been able to get the likes of Rui Patricio and the other Portuguese player they have!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #35824: Jun 19, 2018 02:19:44 pm
      Could you list them please? 1-20 including the 3 relegated teams last season in your order?

Nice deflection attempt, why don't you just answer the question, where would you rank Karius as you see him as one of the best in the Prem?
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #35825: Jun 19, 2018 02:22:22 pm
      So do you think Karius is a better goalkeeper than Schmeichel and Lloris?

Better than Schmeichel? Yes, no doubt. I've watched the vast majority of Leicester games this season (don't ask me why) and Schmeichel, while occasionaly pulling of an amazing reflex save (he's pretty good at those), is so bad in many other aspects of his game. He's an average, midtable goalkeeper for a midtable team.

Lloris, in terms of what he has shown so far in his career, I'd probably put just ahead of Karius, but Lloris has gotten significantly worse the past two seasons in my opinion. I editted my previous post, I genuinely wonder how many points he cost Spurs. He has had some horrible moments this season.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #35826: Jun 19, 2018 02:22:52 pm

Spot on, more or less how I see it as well, Karius is some where in the middle of th epack, quite simply not good enough for us if we have title aspirations.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #35827: Jun 19, 2018 02:23:20 pm
      Just don't get what Karius has done in the last two years to make people think that we should only be after a world class goalkeeper to improve on him. To me he's been shaky throughout his time here, even when he improved in the last few months of the season he was still making mistakes on a regular basis especially in the Champions League.

Guess it's just all opinions and that, to me someone like Pope would actually be a good improvement on Karius. Wouldn't break the bank hopefully which should allow us to get the couple of attackers we need.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #35828: Jun 19, 2018 02:24:34 pm
      It's all subjective but I would only put De Gea, Curtouis, Ederson and possibly Lloris as noticeably better than Karius.

I think Ederson appears to be a better keeper than he is because of the attacking ability of his team, but I’ve got no stats to back that up.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #35829: Jun 19, 2018 02:26:19 pm

Rose tinted glasses are a marvellous thing aren't they, so if you are right I imagine all the other teams would swap their keeper for ours, I very much doubt they all would though.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #35830: Jun 19, 2018 02:26:58 pm
      I think Ederson appears to be a better keeper than he is because of the attacking ability of his team, but I’ve got no stats to back that up.

You could well be right mate.

The jist of what I'm getting at though is that there is a small number of keepers who are noticeably better than the one we have and if we were to spend big on replacing him you have to be sure to be getting one of the best keepers in Europe for that type of money.

I've always rated Karius and feel with experience will go on to be a top keeper.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #35831: Jun 19, 2018 02:27:10 pm

Are you suggesting that we don't have attacking ability???
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #35832: Jun 19, 2018 02:29:43 pm
      You could well be right mate.

The jist of what I'm getting at though is that there is a small number of keepers who are noticeably better than the one we have and if we were to spend big on replacing him you have to be sure to be getting one of the best keepers in Europe for that type of money.

I've always rated Karius and feel with experience will go on to be a top keeper.

I completely agree that we shouldn't be replacing him unless we are replacing him with someone that's unquestionably top class.

Like the VVD transfer. That's the type of transfers we need from here on out. When you target top quality, even if you miss a little, you still usually have really good players.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #35833: Jun 19, 2018 02:30:22 pm

This is the acid test for me to know whether a poster is just taking the piss in regards to goalkeepers. Dubravka is a 29yo goalie who bounced around lower European teams unable to land a starter role and has all but 12 games in the PL and now he's in the 2nd tier of best goalies in the league? This must be a trolling attempt, right?

Quick Reply