Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4180212 times
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #36041: Jul 02, 2018 01:42:54 am
      Let's please not forget that the football showcased at the WC is unlikely to ever meet the standards of club football. There are so many different styles of playing the game, from the overall general outlook to individual roles and directives within that set up.

Clubs have so much time to fine-tune tactics and the connections between players through the course of a season (and pre-season), while national teams just don't come close. Personally, I usually feel like I'm watching a Lite version of the game at the WC, and so it's hard to judge players on all that they're capable of bringing to a new club team from watching these games.

Especially if that club is Liverpool. We are a system team. Most players, even great ones, just aren't suitable to ours and would actually compromise it. So when watching the WC, we're kind of limited to appreciating qualities like individual skill and determination/character.

Many "good" players just won't shine in this environment. Either from being limited to a system that stifles their skills, from having poor self-motivation for this occasion, or from being in an unskilled team or one full of players lacking character/drive.

Many average players will shine because they lift for such an occasion. Or their system allows the freedom/opportunities to showcase individual skills. We all know of many players signed by clubs after a positive WC (including ours) who don't have the focus/drive to play great football week in, week out. We all know of teams of determined but average players who knock out a complacent team of stars.

So many great players have been knocked out of the tournament so far, and while some may have genuine grievances with teammates and/or tactical approach for such, many showed a far from acceptable hunger to take control of games and win. Some of these just seem to confirm suspicions about their characters when faced with adversity (or complacency within their team), while others you wonder if long season after long season has just taken its toll on body and mind for this tournament.

So it's often a fine line where praise perhaps should be limited or criticism restrained. There are plenty of players we'd confidently sign in a heartbeat who haven't had an amazing WC to date, who we know would step into our club with determination, work hard, and create within our system.

That's what is important for us, not a player capable of one or two showy performances with fresh legs in teams that don't press hard. Not a player who needs to be the focal point of a team, who can then be tactically eliminated by the better opposing managers, leaving us with nothing.

I'd take our system with our players over the chance of having a Messi or Ronaldo anyday. Barcelona won La Liga and Madrid won the CL but damn was their football boring more often than not this year. We won nothing last year, but I was entertained throughout the whole year. As much as I'm keen for us to win the PL, I don't think I'd have been motivated to sit through every game at stupid o'clock over here in Australia if we had to play like, say, Man Utd in order to do so. I'm a bigger fan of football than winning haha.

So yeah, give me hard-working, determined players with strong transitional capabilities anyday over these 100+ mil stars.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #36042: Jul 02, 2018 08:16:56 am
      The player which I liked the most in this WC and for whom I think we should consider bidding is Musa. His stats have been quite poor in club but he has showed great skills and character... I might be completely wrong but he looks like another Mane for me, maybe because he's African, quick, skilled and scored  goals in the WC? But I think it shows that he could fit in our team.

Fekir does not play much for France but the guy has talent for sure... It's a shame that we did not get him.

The ideal player for us to sign for me would be Willian. The guy is great. Has pace, skills and has experience in the EPL. I'm sure he'd be willing to join Firmino here if the salary is good. I'm sure he would cost as much as Fekir if we wanted to sign him. Your thoughts guys?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #36043: Jul 02, 2018 09:19:32 am
      The player which I liked the most in this WC and for whom I think we should consider bidding is Musa. His stats have been quite poor in club but he has showed great skills and character... I might be completely wrong but he looks like another Mane for me, maybe because he's African, quick, skilled and scored  goals in the WC? But I think it shows that he could fit in our team.

Fekir does not play much for France but the guy has talent for sure... It's a shame that we did not get him.

The ideal player for us to sign for me would be Willian. The guy is great. Has pace, skills and has experience in the EPL. I'm sure he'd be willing to join Firmino here if the salary is good. I'm sure he would cost as much as Fekir if we wanted to sign him. Your thoughts guys?

No to Musa. Looks good in a average Nigeria side. Not impressed with him for Leicester.

Willian won't be leaving Chelsea so scratch that.

Fekir might still happen who knows.

The players I would like us to look at from the World Cup are:

Akjani
      James
      Rebic
      Lozano
      Golovin

GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #36044: Jul 02, 2018 10:25:16 am

Musa is ok, but I don't personally see a big upside in him within our system. Even for that price range, I could name a dozen youngsters I'd rather we take a punt on than him. And I'd rather we didn't stifle the potential development of our current youngsters just for ok. But I get what people have liked about him.

As many of us have said around the place, none of us really know if the Fekir deal is dead. I'm not convinced other big clubs will bite, and I doubt Fekir will accept a Lyon stay if a Liverpool deal is indeed in place. So unless it actually is a medical issue our club has canned the deal on, I reckon Aulas will have to succumb and accept our offer by transfer deadline day. I just hope if we get him we don't have to wait that long.

As for Willian, he'd be a fine addition, but I don't see Chelsea letting him go without a fight. Mourinho might fight for him to go join him at Man Utd, but I doubt we'd outbid them at that price range (60+ mil) for an experienced foreign player. And again, if I had the choice, I'd rather us get a Malcom or Bailey for about 40 mil and then another youngster or two for the remaining 20 or so like Harit, Bergwijn, Simon, Yazici etc.

I think Liverpool and Klopp are also keener on younger players to groom to his style of play that can grow together and hopefully peak for a bit of a dynasty. I know I certainly hope so haha.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #36045: Jul 02, 2018 03:18:00 pm
      Ajax manager says Ziyech has agreed a deal with someone. Could it be us?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #36046: Jul 02, 2018 03:38:36 pm

Doubt it, some lunatic ITK would already be tweeting about it by now ;)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #36047: Jul 02, 2018 05:01:32 pm
      If James is heading out the door, put a bid in.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #36048: Jul 02, 2018 05:03:09 pm

Oh hell yes.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #36049: Jul 02, 2018 05:11:07 pm

I perfer Hamez over James.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #36050: Jul 02, 2018 05:21:24 pm

Rodriguez? he finished his 1st season of a 2-year loan at Bayern, so not sure how much that'd impact a potential transfer.
      Biscanator
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 327 posts | 61 
      Reply #36051: Jul 02, 2018 07:46:39 pm

No thanks not a patch on Firmino looks more trouble than he is worth to me. Expect more than a return of 7 goals playing for Bayern.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #36052: Jul 02, 2018 08:06:57 pm
      No thanks not a patch on Firmino looks more trouble than he is worth to me. Expect more than a return of 7 goals playing for Bayern.

What???

James is an Attacking Midfielder not a forward like Bobby.

He also got 8 goals and 14 assists for Bayern last season and was one of their best players.

He's an excellent player I would love him here
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #36053: Jul 02, 2018 08:28:19 pm

He's a midfielder though?

I'd have him here in a heartbeat.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #36054: Jul 02, 2018 08:41:59 pm
      Doubt it, some lunatic ITK would already be tweeting about it by now ;)
      Heh. But since they aren't, maybe it's true.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #36055: Jul 02, 2018 09:06:01 pm
      What???

He also got 8 goals and 14 assists for Bayern last season and was one of their best players.

This
      Biscanator
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 327 posts | 61 
      Reply #36056: Jul 02, 2018 09:58:45 pm
      What???

For me Bobby is an attacking midfielder, we don't have an out and out forward in our starting 11. So if he's not an holding midfielder who would he replace or challenge in our starting 11.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #36057: Jul 02, 2018 10:03:45 pm
      Didn't James play the false 9 role in the 2014 world cup?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #36058: Jul 02, 2018 10:06:28 pm

I heard he was going to Roma
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #36059: Jul 02, 2018 10:07:08 pm
      Didn't James play the false 9 role in the 2014 world cup?

They had Teo Gutierrez upfront, I don't recall James as a forward
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #36060: Jul 03, 2018 12:32:11 am
      For me Bobby is an attacking midfielder, we don't have an out and out forward in our starting 11. So if he's not an holding midfielder who would he replace or challenge in our starting 11.

Our system doesn't really use (or need) an out and out forward. As much as, say, a Harry Kane is great at what he does, our system needs a Firmino to play that false 9 type of role. Our CF is the starting point for our press. One of Firmino's most important duties is to lead that intensity and put pressure on CBs and DMs to either give them no time on the ball to pick a pass or to even win the ball or cause a mistake that  often leads to a 3 on 2 or 4 on 3 counter high up the field.

And when Salah has a historic year leading the league in scoring from the wing, Firmino playing that type of forward role while still scoring 15 goals and assisting 7 is more than enough.

As for James Rodriguez, he is about to start the second year of his loan deal at Bayern. I believe the only way he plays for a team other than them or Madrid next year is if Bayern pay the option to purchase and then look to sell immediately for profit.

Any move to Liverpool though is unlikely. Bayern may only be paying wages for him similar to what Van Dijk and Firmino are currently getting, but they are also paying a loan fee of 11.9 mil which is the equivalent of a further 228k pw. I'm pretty sure his contract with Madrid is in that 300k pw area, and we're just not going to be paying those kinds of salaries yet (and he wouldn't move for what we'd likely offer even if we wanted him).
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #36061: Jul 03, 2018 10:55:59 am
      Nacer Chadli (WBA)...I have always liked this player from his days at Tottenham, and now that WBA have been relegated think that he would make a great addistion to the side... Better than Lallana, and the OX
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #36062: Jul 03, 2018 11:06:37 am
      Nacer Chadli (WBA)...I have always liked this player from his days at Tottenham, and now that WBA have been relegated think that he would make a great addistion to the side... Better than Lallana, and the OX

Would be a handy squad player like Shaqiri.

Wouldn't say he's better than Lallana or Ox though.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36063: Jul 03, 2018 12:16:00 pm
      Would be a handy squad player like Shaqiri.

Wouldn't say he's better than Lallana or Ox though.

I am always a bit baffled by the love that Lallana gets, I really think he will find it very hard to get back into our team, especially if we also sign Fekir or a similar player.

Quick Reply