Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4212636 times
      Biscanator
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 62 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #36064: Jul 03, 2018 12:27:05 pm
      I am always a bit baffled by the love that Lallana gets, I really think he will find it very hard to get back into our team, especially if we also sign Fekir or a similar player.

Lallana brings balance to the side he is genuinely two footed and can play anywhere along the front line, he struggled after injury last season but if he can get his form back he's an excellent t player to have for both club and country.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,437 posts | 3421 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #36065: Jul 03, 2018 12:32:41 pm
      Nacer Chadli (WBA)...I have always liked this player from his days at Tottenham, and now that WBA have been relegated think that he would make a great addistion to the side... Better than Lallana, and the OX

Couldn't get in a piss poor west brom team, says a lot
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #36066: Jul 03, 2018 01:06:06 pm
      Lallana brings balance to the side he is genuinely two footed and can play anywhere along the front line, he struggled after injury last season but if he can get his form back he's an excellent t player to have for both club and country.

He was very effective in our pressing game during Jürgen's first season and a half I agree, but at his age and considering how much his manic energy means to his contribution, I think he is a big question mark going forward.

And that attacking mid role is a big issue for us going into this season. With Ox out injured, I didn't think Keita was intended for that role. But it may be Hendo deep, with Fabinho and Keita each moving a bit farther upfield at least until Ox regains fitness (if he does). This unless we sign someone new, but I'm beginning to have doubts over that.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,335 posts | 6386 
      Reply #36067: Jul 03, 2018 01:22:23 pm
      He was very effective in our pressing game during Jürgen's first season and a half I agree, but at his age and considering how much his manic energy means to his contribution, I think he is a big question mark going forward.

And that attacking mid role is a big issue for us going into this season. With Ox out injured, I didn't think Keita was intended for that role. But it may be Hendo deep, with Fabinho and Keita each moving a bit farther upfield at least until Ox regains fitness (if he does). This unless we sign someone new, but I'm beginning to have doubts over that.

Fabinho will play the holding role along with Hendo, and Keita will be a destroyer. Free to roam where he wants and influence the game as he sees fit.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #36068: Jul 03, 2018 01:25:29 pm

I think Lallana had his best period at LFC under Klopp playing in a central position. I think he was quite mediocre playing in the front line and although he can do a job in the odd game there, I wouldn't want to see him as a constant option in those positions. Chamberlain, for instance, is a better option to play in the front three when required than Lallana.

Also I'm afraid Lallana is too injury prone to be relied upon
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #36069: Jul 03, 2018 01:31:11 pm
      Fabinho will play the holding role along with Hendo, and Keita will be a destroyer. Free to roam where he wants and influence the game as he sees fit.

Do you think that's how we're going to play? I don't know, I'm prepared to be (positively) surprised by Klopp, but I think Fabinho and Keita are coming to be starters and if we were going after someone like Fekir, I imagine it would be a trio of Fabinho (6), Keita (8 ) and Fekir (10), with the usual suspects upfront. But well it's a long season, injuries will happen and it's good that we have quite a few versatile players, but our midfield suddenly looks a hundred times stronger, especially when Chamberlain returns from injury.
      « Last Edit: Jul 03, 2018 01:39:24 pm by Diego LFC »
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #36070: Jul 03, 2018 01:45:08 pm
      I am always a bit baffled by the love that Lallana gets, I really think he will find it very hard to get back into our team, especially if we also sign Fekir or a similar player.

Lallana is a very decent player and this "love" that he gets is not undeserved based on what he does for the team. I agree he's not going to be a regular in the starting lineup but as a depth player he'll be a fantastic option to have next season.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #36071: Jul 03, 2018 01:56:05 pm

I doubt we would use two holding midfielders very often. I agree with Diego that ideally Fabinho plays that role, with Keita and somebody else farther forward, but for now at least it is probably Henderson there.

BTW, I've always heard "destroyer" used interchangeably with #6 or holding midfielder rather than the way you use it in your post. Interesting to see if Naby indeed is given a free role.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #36072: Jul 03, 2018 01:57:21 pm
      Do you think that's how we're going to play? I don't know, I'm prepared to be (positively) surprised by Klopp, but I think Fabinho and Keita are coming to be starters and if we were going after someone like Fekir, I imagine it would be a trio of Fabinho (6), Keita (8 ) and Fekir (10), with the usual suspects upfront. But well it's a long season, injuries will happen and it's good that we have quite a few versatile players, but our midfield suddenly looks a hundred times stronger, especially when Chamberlain returns from injury.

Agree 99 percent with this, but I think Fekir is no longer coming to us.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36073: Jul 03, 2018 02:02:30 pm
      Lallana is a very decent player and this "love" that he gets is not undeserved based on what he does for the team. I agree he's not going to be a regular in the starting lineup but as a depth player he'll be a fantastic option to have next season.

Does he do more for the team than Salah, how about Bobby or Mane, Milner, Henderson, Ox, Keita, Fabinho, TAA, Robertson, Lovren, VVD. I could go on to include the reserves but I think you get my gist. He is now way way down the pecking order from my pov an doffers nothing which other players in our team can't do better.
      I genuinely feel like the team has outgrown him even at his very best he was never a key player for us, just a couple of Cruyff turns then a shot blasted wide or to high, had some fairly ok assists though but not even close to being consistent enough.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #36074: Jul 03, 2018 02:42:47 pm
      Does he do more for the team than Salah, how about Bobby or Mane, Milner, Henderson, Ox, Keita, Fabinho, TAA, Robertson, Lovren, VVD. I could go on to include the reserves but I think you get my gist. He is now way way down the pecking order from my pov an doffers nothing which other players in our team can't do better.
      I genuinely feel like the team has outgrown him even at his very best he was never a key player for us, just a couple of Cruyff turns then a shot blasted wide or to high, had some fairly ok assists though but not even close to being consistent enough.

Last season he was plagued by injury obviously but the season before that he was fantastic in the 10 role and was certainly a contender for our player of the season. At that time, I wanted to make him captain.

I hated it whenever Brendan played him in a front three though and on occasions klopp has done this too. He doesn't have the pace to go past a player and it hinders our attack. We saw this in the CL final.

I'd prefer a new shiny number 10 like fekir but I'd still be happy to start the season with Lallana as our 10 presuming he is injury free. He is very effective for us in that role. I just don't want to see him in the front three even as cover.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #36075: Jul 03, 2018 02:50:08 pm

Couldn't agree more. I can see us playing more of a double pivot at times (6 & 8 rather 6 & 6) giving more freedom to our #10. Another option would be to play 6, 8 (attacking midfielder) and 8 (box-boxer) for the more open matches.

Personally, having watched Naby pretty much all season, I really think he operates best in those central areas as an 8 where he is the alpha midfielder.

I think Lallana had his best period at LFC under Klopp playing in a central position. I think he was quite mediocre playing in the front line and although he can do a job in the odd game there, I wouldn't want to see him as a constant option in those positions. Chamberlain, for instance, is a better option to play in the front three when required than Lallana.

Also I'm afraid Lallana is too injury prone to be relied upon

Lallana is the player that intrigues me most. With a lot more control in possession because of Keita and Fabinho, will we see more of the Southampton Lallana 13/14 season and see him link up and play off Firmino often?
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #36076: Jul 03, 2018 03:10:58 pm

I have no clue why you even include these players who don't play the same position Adam does. Keita and Fabinho are new to the team and no one here would be surprised if Klopp slowly breaks them in as they get used to the system, and with Ox's injury, we are likely to see plenty of Lallana to start the year, and that is not a bad thing. When he is playing centrally in midfield he is very good and offers more offensively than Milner and Gini.

Once everyone is in rhythm Lallana will transition to a depth role which is what he should be doing going forward given his injury concerns and being 30yo. Having him to come in the last 15 minutes to give someone a rest, or play him in cup games, or games before/after Champions League will be a great option for us.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #36077: Jul 03, 2018 03:23:40 pm
      I see us continuing to rely heavily on our 4-3-3 formation next year, especially against the teams that have come to play football against us. It's such a great formation with which to stop opponents playing out from the back and to counter attack from high up the pitch.

I'd totally see a midfield of Keita, Fabinho, and Ox combining great with our front three to replicate those awesome moments we saw against Man City at Anfield more consistently. Funnily enough, as long as our defence just don't make stupid blunders, I don't feel like we need a #10 to help us win those games, and that the intensity of our system (plus the upgrade of Fabinho and Keita) will do the job.

It's against those teams that not only defend deep against us but don't even come to genuinely counter attack, where the concern over perhaps not having a better #10 type player arises. At the moment, that responsibility will have to fall on Lallana (and potentially Keita too).

I think Lallana is great when fit because of what he can contribute to our press while still being able to catch out slightly complacent opponents with some guile (which Ox, Gini, Milner, or Hendo don't really bring).

I can see Lallana and Keita being enough if teams are genuinely counter attacking against us, but if they're well and truly parked and basically just giving the ball back to us each time they get it, there just won't be enough space for those two to do what they're limited to. That's where you need those Coutinho type players who can drop disguised chips on a dime, otherwise we're just going to get those frustrating five minute spells of side to side with no shot on target at the end on loop.

After another preseason behind us, we may even see Klopp work on a change in formation for such games. I mean, when a team is playing 5-4-1, and sometimes even 6-3-1, against us, we need to work on some new strategies, not just bring in new players, to break them down.

I see a system in those games where both fullbacks are pushed up to provide the width (freeing up our wingers from the limitations on movement off the ball that responsibility brings), and having a fluid front three plus #10 player who become interchangeable. Fekir would definitely suit that, but Lallana would be the best we have atm.

If that's not enough, it's then you gamble on one of your other mids making a run into the box from deep (which I could totally see Keita doing, and which Milner was surprisingly good at doing for us last year).

But a fit Lallana is fine, although it's hard to tell if he's going to be our next Sturridge plagued by injuries. I certainly hope not.

I wouldn't look to bring a Chadli in to take his place or compete though. What is worth getting in those more advanced positions is someone with an exceptional killer ball, or is exceptional at getting past a couple players on the dribble (preferrably both), or reasonable at both but exceptional at closing down opponents and off the ball movement. And aged, say, 20-25 would be great too. But the key word is exceptional. For me, Chadli (and many players suggested here of late) would just be filler.

Filler taking game time away from Lallana, Gini, and Milner who already have extended time in our system, or even our youngsters like Woodburn. I don't see the point.

If we're not bringing in exceptional proven talent to start for us, then we should only be filling out the rest of our squad with young rotational players who have exceptional traits whom we can groom in our system to be exceptional players for us.

So either players like Fekir, Malcom, or Bailey (I genuinely believe the latter two are not limited to being wingers), or players like Harit, Simon, Bergwijn etc who have some exceptional traits, a decent work ethic, and a couple years of impressive performances behind them.

I could totally see all those kinds of players being talked about fondly in a few years within our system just as we have Firmino, Mane, Ox, and even Salah and Coutinho. But I genuinely don't see Chadli or Shaqiri and some of these other guys being thrown around ever reaching those heights.

Let's please not be that club anymore. You know, the one that signs Adam and Downing because they're basically, well, alright. That is, if you're alright with just competing rather than winning.

Now I'm going to get some sleep before the England WC match. Hoping not to wake up to another barrage of "Let's sign Shaqiri" posts haha.
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #36078: Jul 03, 2018 03:30:27 pm
      I see us continuing to rely heavily on our 4-3-3 formation next year, especially against the teams that have come to play football against us. It's such a great formation with which to stop opponents playing out from the back and to counter attack from high up the pitch.

I'd totally see a midfield of Keita, Fabinho, and Ox combining great with our front three to replicate those awesome moments we saw against Man City at Anfield more consistently. Funnily enough, as long as our defence just don't make stupid blunders, I don't feel like we need a #10 to help us win those games, and that the intensity of our system (plus the upgrade of Fabinho and Keita) will do the job.

It's against those teams that not only defend deep against us but don't even come to genuinely counter attack, where the concern over perhaps not having a better #10 type player arises. At the moment, that responsibility will have to fall on Lallana (and potentially Keita too).

I think Lallana is great when fit because of what he can contribute to our press while still being able to catch out slightly complacent opponents with some guile (which Ox, Gini, Milner, or Hendo don't really bring).

I can see Lallana and Keita being enough if teams are genuinely counter attacking against us, but if they're well and truly parked and basically just giving the ball back to us each time they get it, there just won't be enough space for those two to do what they're limited to. That's where you need those Coutinho type players who can drop disguised chips on a dime, otherwise we're just going to get those frustrating five minute spells of side to side with no shot on target at the end on loop.

After another preseason behind us, we may even see Klopp work on a change in formation for such games. I mean, when a team is playing 5-4-1, and sometimes even 6-3-1, against us, we need to work on some new strategies, not just bring in new players, to break them down.

I see a system in those games where both fullbacks are pushed up to provide the width (freeing up our wingers from the limitations on movement off the ball that responsibility brings), and having a fluid front three plus #10 player who become interchangeable. Fekir would definitely suit that, but Lallana would be the best we have atm.

If that's not enough, it's then you gamble on one of your other mids making a run into the box from deep (which I could totally see Keita doing, and which Milner was surprisingly good at doing for us last year).

But a fit Lallana is fine, although it's hard to tell if he's going to be our next Sturridge plagued by injuries. I certainly hope not.

I wouldn't look to bring a Chadli in to take his place or compete though. What is worth getting in those more advanced positions is someone with an exceptional killer ball, or is exceptional at getting past a couple players on the dribble (preferrably both), or reasonable at both but exceptional at closing down opponents and off the ball movement. And aged, say, 20-25 would be great too. But the key word is exceptional. For me, Chadli (and many players suggested here of late) would just be filler.

Filler taking game time away from Lallana, Gini, and Milner who already have extended time in our system, or even our youngsters like Woodburn. I don't see the point.

If we're not bringing in exceptional proven talent to start for us, then we should only be filling out the rest of our squad with young rotational players who have exceptional traits whom we can groom in our system to be exceptional players for us.

So either players like Fekir, Malcom, or Bailey (I genuinely believe the latter two are not limited to being wingers), or players like Harit, Simon, Bergwijn etc who have some exceptional traits, a decent work ethic, and a couple years of impressive performances behind them.

I could totally see all those kinds of players being talked about fondly in a few years within our system just as we have Firmino, Mane, Ox, and even Salah and Coutinho. But I genuinely don't see Chadli or Shaqiri and some of these other guys being thrown around ever reaching those heights.

Let's please not be that club anymore. You know, the one that signs Adam and Downing because they're basically, well, alright. That is, if you're alright with just competing rather than winning.

Now I'm going to get some sleep before the England WC match. Hoping not to wake up to another barrage of "Let's sign Shaqiri" posts haha.

where do i find the cliff notes for this post?
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #36079: Jul 03, 2018 03:43:10 pm
      where do i find the cliff notes for this post?

Sorry, the Sweden vs Switzerland game clearly hasn't been riveting enough to stop me from rambling.

Basically, Lallana is better than alright players. Let's please stop buying alright players to compete with our good players. Blah blah blah you get the gist haha
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,335 posts | 6386 
      Reply #36080: Jul 03, 2018 04:49:13 pm
      I’m sorry, I see how I worded that poorly. I didn’t mean Fabinho and Hendo would both play holding roles, meant to say they would be interchangeable, one or the other playing that role allowing Keita to play freely in a more attacking role.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #36081: Jul 03, 2018 05:50:36 pm
      I’m sorry, I see how I worded that poorly. I didn’t mean Fabinho and Hendo would both play holding roles, meant to say they would be interchangeable, one or the other playing that role allowing Keita to play freely in a more attacking role.

Will be interesting to see how Klopp changes it in midfield.

I can see a midfield 3 of Hendo, Wijnaldum or Milner playing as the #8 box-boxer, a more support and trigger press role with Keita as the attacking midfielder and Fabinho the #6.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #36082: Jul 03, 2018 06:26:50 pm

Yeah I agree with that, Keita can and will help in defense but he plays better when he has a more defensive partner alongside him. I hope he settles in quickly because if he does, then we have a real shot at a great start to the season which can make a huge difference later in the season.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #36083: Jul 03, 2018 06:28:46 pm
      Lallana is the player that intrigues me most. With a lot more control in possession because of Keita and Fabinho, will we see more of the Southampton Lallana 13/14 season and see him link up and play off Firmino often?

I hope so! I like Lallana and he has the technical skills to be of great value to us, but I'm not sure what to expect given his recurrent injuries, the fact he played much better in central positions where now he'll have more competition, and so on... if anything it's good to have a player like that in the squad, surely better than having to bring on someone too young or not good enough.
      Dragonmark
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts | 28 
      Reply #36084: Jul 04, 2018 03:27:27 am
      If Liverpool don't land Oblak, they really should go for Yann Sommer. Such a good keeper.
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #36085: Jul 04, 2018 04:13:26 am
      Apparently it will be Cillessen... I read on a different rumors site, that he might have visited Melwood this week.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #36086: Jul 04, 2018 06:36:12 am
      Will be interesting to see how Klopp changes it in midfield.

I can see a midfield 3 of Hendo, Wijnaldum or Milner playing as the #8 box-boxer, a more support and trigger press role with Keita as the attacking midfielder and Fabinho the #6.

Typed out a long post only for it to not load FFS :D

Anyways, on paper a trio of Lallana, Fabinho and Naby compliment each other. Naby and Fab play behind the ball and Lallana pushes up between the opposition lines to offer an option in the attacking third. I think it's going to be the perfect combination for us to protect our defence and allow the front three to shine.

Quick Reply