Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4211872 times
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #36202: Jul 15, 2018 02:11:22 am
      I'm not sure why Grealish links get panned? I think he's a really talented lad. Obviously he has had some issues but he has got a lot of ability

Yeah he really stepped up his play last year. I think finally putting on a bit of muscle helped a lot. But he seemed like a totally new player, with a more determined attitude, and finally capable of riding out some challenges from stronger opponents.

It's a shame Villa have to sell him due to financial issues, because it means he'll likely go to a top club that are prepared to pay closer to what they need for him, but unlikely to give him playing time (stalling a key period in his development). Hopefully if Tottenham do end up getting him, they send him straight out on loan to a club where he'll get a lot of game time.

Because I agree, he has a lot of ability and potential. For one, he is an English player with the actual ability and confidence to take players on. I think the issues many here (and elsewhere) have of him is his relative lack of end product. At the moment, he's not the one banging in a bunch of goals or the one rewarded with the assist.

Yet he seems to be involved positively in most of their play, often dictating tempo, drawing opponents out of shape, and finding players in enough space to assist goals or create clear cut chances. Not saying that's enough, but when you don't have players like that on your team it's amazing how 90 min can fly past and you're left with a draw.

In the right situation, I think Grealish could develop into a national team level player who can actually influence games. At worst, I don't really see him potentially being a total flop anymore. Probably forge out a career similar to what Nathan Redmond or Andros Townsend currently are, which has resale value.

But yeah, clearly Liverpool and/or Klopp are only interested in paying money for players they're confident will challenge for a first team place, or at least provide experience in their rotational use. Otherwise they'd rather incorporate their much cheaper academy prospects.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #36203: Jul 15, 2018 07:59:18 am
      Isn't our midfield overcrowded at the moment?
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #36204: Jul 15, 2018 08:37:37 am
      Isn't our midfield overcrowded at the moment?

Grealish would be more of a winger and #10 prospect. We have rotational room in those positions at the moment, but he's more the kind of signing where you'd look to loan him out for another year (or two), and promote him if he excels, or just sell for a slight profit if he ends up just being mid table calibre.

Eventually, if we're going to be a consistently top club as transfer fees continue to rise to absurd amounts (for established first team players in particular), we need to be buying more established prospects before they have real breakout seasons that demand such absurd fees. If we don't have room in our squad, we just loan them out.

I mean, Barcelona just bought the Brazilian youngster Arthur for 40 mil. Probably won't get much of a run in the first team for the next couple of years, but I have little doubt we'll all be talking about him very highly by the time he's 25 years old.

Barca, Madrid, Juverntus, Man City, Chelsea, PSG, Monaco... these kinds of clubs don't just by the stars but also by the future ones, even if they don't have room for them to play. Hopefully, once Liverpool establish a really solid squad in the next year or two, and earn some silverware, we'll also look beyond just our academy for quality young talent.

In the end though, I don't think the club view Grealish as exceptional enough to spend that kind of money on at this stage. They still want to predominantly better that first team and high rotational players.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #36205: Jul 15, 2018 10:08:49 am
      Alisson, Vida and Fekir next please to complete an amazing transfer window.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #36206: Jul 15, 2018 11:02:40 am
      Jürgen Klopp offers Daniel Sturridge hope of reviving Liverpool career

I don't thing that Jürgen Klopp is doing Daniel Sturridge or Liverpool FC any favors by suggesting that Sturridge  still has a future at the club...

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11437258/Jürgen-klopp-offers-daniel-sturridge-hope-of-reviving-liverpool-career

Even though it was a per-season friendly, and players are looking to regain sharpness and match fitness Sturridge along with Origi looked woeful and out of place in the Liverpool side and tbh they would have struggled to have made  the Bury squad...

That along with the fact that Sturridge does not fit into our squad system makes me wonder what Jürgen is really thinking...

His contract expires in the summer of 2019. Surely it is better to try and sell him now rather than risk him leaving for free...

Makes no sense to me
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36207: Jul 15, 2018 11:10:12 am

I don't thing that Jürgen Klopp is doing Daniel Sturridge or Liverpool FC any favors by suggesting that Sturridge  still has a future at the club...

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11437258/Jürgen-klopp-offers-daniel-sturridge-hope-of-reviving-liverpool-career

Even though it was a per-season friendly, and players are looking to regain sharpness and match fitness Sturridge along with Origi looked woeful and out of place in the Liverpool side and tbh they would have struggled to have made  the Bury squad...

That along with the fact that Sturridge does not fit into our squad system makes me wonder what Jürgen is really thinking...

His contract expires in the summer of 2019. Surely it is better to try and sell him now rather than risk him leaving for free...

Makes no sense to me

Jürgen does seem to talk a lot of crap or get misquoted, first Danny Ward will be our #1 then Sturridge will still be our striker. I agree that is does no one any favours and everyone will be calling bullshit on this. It makes Klopp and the club look a bit foolish I think.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #36208: Jul 15, 2018 11:10:37 am

Makes no sense to me

Jürgen is no fool he knows that if he talks up Stu and alludes that he might have a future here it will peak the interest of more clubs.

I expect Stu will be sold before the window closes if he's fit again we should be looking for £20 million at least.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36209: Jul 15, 2018 11:11:43 am
      Jürgen is no fool he knows that if he talks up Stu and alludes that he might have a future here it will peak the interest of more clubs.

I expect Stu will be sold before the window closes if he's fit again we should be looking for £20 million at least.

Oh behave, no one will pay anything like that for Sturridge with his injury record, we'll be lucky to get a few million for him.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #36210: Jul 15, 2018 11:17:39 am
      Oh behave, no one will pay anything like that for Sturridge with his injury record, we'll be lucky to get a few million for him.

There are always clubs who take gambles on injury prone players like Stu £20 million is not much for a striker these days.

I'm not fussed either way if Stu stays then he gives a decent option off the bench.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #36211: Jul 15, 2018 11:21:46 am

Hope that's the case baz
      Kopite78
      Reply #36212: Jul 15, 2018 11:46:40 am
      Jürgen does seem to talk a lot of crap or get misquoted, first Danny Ward will be our #1 then Sturridge will still be our striker. I agree that is does no one any favours and everyone will be calling bullshit on this. It makes Klopp and the club look a bit foolish I think.

I fail to believe you are that daft not to be able to see why he says these things?

Surely you can't be?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36213: Jul 15, 2018 12:48:06 pm
      There are always clubs who take gambles on injury prone players like Stu £20 million is not much for a striker these days.

I'm not fussed either way if Stu stays then he gives a decent option off the bench.

Did Sturridge give us a decent option off then bench last season before going off and "helping" West Brom? If not what makes you think he will this season?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36214: Jul 15, 2018 12:50:30 pm
      I fail to believe you are that daft not to be able to see why he says these things?

Surely you can't be?

Actually I am, can you please explain them to me. Why say your 3rd choice keeper will be your new number 1 unless you want to give opposition managers a good chuckle. The Sturridge thing is perhaps to increase his transfer value but by how much, a few extra thousand at the risk of sounding like Terry fuckwit?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #36215: Jul 15, 2018 12:51:33 pm
      Did Sturridge give us a decent option off then bench last season before going off and "helping" West Brom? If not what makes you think he will this season?

He looks fitter than I have seen him in a long time this pre season so I'm willing to give him a last chance to prove he can still do the business.

Either way I'm not fussed if he's sold or not we have good squad depth now.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36216: Jul 15, 2018 12:52:36 pm
      He looks fitter than I have seen him in a long time this pre season so I'm willing to give him a last chance to prove he can still do the business.

Either way I'm not fussed if he's sold or not we have good squad depth now.

Oh come on do you never learn, we keep him and 2 games into the season he injures something new and gets to chill out for the rest of season earning hundreds of thousand a week, not a bad life is it.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #36217: Jul 15, 2018 01:03:49 pm
      Oh come on do you never learn, we keep him and 2 games into the season he injures something new and gets to chill out for the rest of season earning hundreds of thousand a week, not a bad life is it.

I've gone past caring about the Stu situation. If he's fit we have a dangerous striker on the bench if he's not we have squad depth to compensate and he leaves the club in the next 12 months either way.
      Kopite78
      Reply #36218: Jul 15, 2018 01:05:20 pm
      Actually I am, can you please explain them to me. Why say your 3rd choice keeper will be your new number 1 unless you want to give opposition managers a good chuckle.

Quite simply yes.

If he comes out and makes it clear we are desperate for a new number one what does that give us as leverage when doing a deal for a new keeper?
      Say we want Alisson? Which I still think we do, if we are making it clear that we need one so desperately then how can we try to get a more favourable deal?
      I think it's clear we want him but don't want to pay what they want.. so we have to look like you are comfortable with what you have to an extent or else they will rub their hands together and push up the price constantly aren't they?

The Sturridge thing is perhaps to increase his transfer value but by how much, a few extra thousand at the risk of sounding like Terry fuckwit?

It's not about increasing his value it's about it not falling through the floor

I don't think he has a future and I doubt Klopp does and I imagine there are clubs who would take him.. but again if you say he has no future and he need to find a move then interested clubs will again rub their hands and think we can have these here.
      They come to the table and say.. well we are interest but you know.. how about you subsidise the wage cause it's a gamble as you know

Every thing Jürgen says in the press I'm sure there is an alternative narrative to read..

You can't show all your cards

It not that difficult to understand is it? If you don't see it you must be an awful negotiator

We can't praise the club for getting top prices on the likes of Ibe etc etc and then question the ways they get those deals done
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36219: Jul 15, 2018 01:23:29 pm
      I've gone past caring about the Stu situation. If he's fit we have a dangerous striker on the bench if he's not we have squad depth to compensate and he leaves the club in the next 12 months either way.

Sorry but this is nonsense, he was on the bench las year and when he came on he was slow as F**k, didn't fit Klopp's system and contributed almost F**k all, there is a reason why he was sent out on loan.
      Never has a player earned so well off one season as Sturridge has, what a lucky guy he is, a multi-millionaire on riding Suarez's coat tails for one season.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36220: Jul 15, 2018 01:25:44 pm
      Quite simply yes.

If he comes out and makes it clear we are desperate for a new number one what does that give us as leverage when doing a deal for a new keeper?
      Say we want Alisson? Which I still think we do, if we are making it clear that we need one so desperately then how can we try to get a more favourable deal?
      I think it's clear we want him but don't want to pay what they want.. so we have to look like you are comfortable with what you have to an extent or else they will rub their hands together and push up the price constantly aren't they?

It's not about increasing his value it's about it not falling through the floor

I don't think he has a future and I doubt Klopp does and I imagine there are clubs who would take him.. but again if you say he has no future and he need to find a move then interested clubs will again rub their hands and think we can have these here.
      They come to the table and say.. well we are interest but you know.. how about you subsidise the wage cause it's a gamble as you know

Every thing Jürgen says in the press I'm sure there is an alternative narrative to read..

You can't show all your cards

It not that difficult to understand is it? If you don't see it you must be an awful negotiator

We can't praise the club for getting top prices on the likes of Ibe etc etc and then question the ways they get those deals done

Again I see the logic but everyone knows we are desperate for a goalkeeper, its hardly a secret and coming out with crap liek we are promoting our 3rd choice to be #1 just makes us sound daft, if anything it will make other clubs think we are a pushover in a negotiation. As for Sturridge just release him, we will get F**k all for him anyway, not down to ability but because of constant injuries.
      Kopite78
      Reply #36221: Jul 15, 2018 01:30:50 pm
      Again I see the logic but everyone knows we are desperate for a goalkeeper, its hardly a secret and coming out with crap liek we are promoting our 3rd choice to be #1 just makes us sound daft, if anything it will make other clubs think we are a pushover in a negotiation. As for Sturridge just release him, we will get f**k all for him anyway, not down to ability but because of constant injuries.

Release him?

And pay him 7m to walk out the door?

I hope you don't have a job where you make key decisions in real life.. you'd cost the company fortunes
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #36222: Jul 15, 2018 01:31:24 pm

The guy gave us a couple beautiful years, so if we can't get decent money for him, I have no problem with him continuing to earn 120k pw this year in one last valiant attempt to capture lost form and health for our club.

As said above, he is looking rejuvenated, so it's not a total long shot. And we have Shaqiri for cover, plus likely one or two of Origi, Solanke, Ings, and Brewster. So if he can't pull it off, it's not like our dire keeper scenario, hardly a gamble.

But he's definitely earned that chance in my books.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36223: Jul 15, 2018 03:41:59 pm
      Release him?

And pay him 7m to walk out the door?

I hope you don't have a job where you make key decisions in real life.. you'd cost the company fortunes

F**k me is Sturridge really on £7m a year, has anyone ever earned more money for doing less. Who the hell gave him such a long contract?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #36224: Jul 15, 2018 03:53:09 pm
      F**k me is Sturridge really on £7m a year, has anyone ever earned more money for doing less. Who the hell gave him such a long contract?

Rodgers era.

Quick Reply